Blue
10/7/2006, 10:33 PM
....NO ****ING EXCUSES...

1stTimeCaller
10/7/2006, 10:44 PM
it happens.

sooneron
10/7/2006, 10:45 PM
I'm not so sure about out-talented. I felt like we were with them or ahead of them talent-wise.

Unless you consider waiting until the correct snap count to move as talent.

Blue
10/7/2006, 10:49 PM
it happens.

Yeah it does happen. it happens when your program is getting OUT-executed. I've got serious concerns about this staff.

I appreciate where they got us, but business is business. We need Chiziks and Chows...

Blue
10/8/2006, 02:54 AM
Right here guys.

ttt.

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/8/2006, 08:57 AM
I assume Blue is in full meltdown mode?

TripleOption14
10/8/2006, 09:04 AM
Out talented.....no
Out Coached.....no

Out played.... Yes!!!! And its that simple.

ashley
10/8/2006, 09:08 AM
Our talent is not as good as their's. Period.

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/8/2006, 09:16 AM
I disagree to an extent....our talent is alot greener. Their O-Line has 3 guys that will be playing the NFL next year...and Dockery will be in the NFL too one day. That is 4 experienced NFL capable starters. Their D-Line and secondary have lots of expierence. Experience won out..

SoonerRoads
10/8/2006, 09:23 AM
Whoahhhh, I realize we are ALL passionate Sooner fans, but we were NOT out-talented. We had over 100 yards more in total offense than they did, but between 11 penalties and 5 turnovers and the officials getting 2 out of 3 contested calls wrong, we basically GAVE them the game. A good team takes advantage of their opponents mistakes and Texas did that. I didn't agree with all of the Offensive play calling and that is another subject, but with everything else, the Defense, which overall played a pretty good game holding Texas to 200 yards and change, still was beaten deep twice in the last half of the game(14 points) and then there is the lateral they recovered for a TD(another 7) and even with all our mistakes, that made the difference in the game. Otherwise, even with all our mental errors, you still have a 10-7 ball game. I have to hand it to the Longhorns who were there to take advantage of our lack of concentration and focus. You don't win close ballgames by having mental breakdowns and turning the ball over. We have talent and plenty of it. We just "screwed the pooch" in terms of focus when the chips were down.

booomer
10/8/2006, 09:31 AM
I'm not so sure about out-talented. I felt like we were with them or ahead of them talent-wise.

Unless you consider waiting until the correct snap count to move as talent.

Heh!

SoonerFanInAustin
10/8/2006, 10:08 AM
SoonerRoads pretty muchs say it all. Not a lot of teams win when you are negative 5 in the Turnover column. The penalties we had were ridiculous....offsides, false starts...We had our chances we didn't take advantage of it. We just need to go take care of business the rest of the yr.

zeke
10/8/2006, 10:16 AM
We may have talent but getting it out of them, on the field, is up to the coaching staff. Motivation to play hard, play smart and not panic is what a good coaching staff will do. I dont see it.

Texas wanted to win, we hoped we could.

We have recruited as well as any other team in the country. We dont prepare properly thus choke big time (Kansas State, USC, OSU, Tx A&M ect)

I dont see us beating them for a while. Not with this bunch

william_brasky
10/8/2006, 10:48 AM
Out-talented? Maybe. I don't buy into that crap.

What about our 5 game streak? We apparently were out-talented during that run.

We don't take it to people any longer. We don't surprise anyone. We don't get to the quarterback on D. Our offensive playcalling is unimaginative.

It seems the staff wants to simply play teams straight up. Everything's friggin' vanilla. BORING!!!

Where's the riverboat gambler mentality we used to have? Where's that smack 'em in the face mentality we used to have?

Did it leave with Mike Stoops?

OklahomaTuba
10/8/2006, 10:54 AM
Why is it that when you have the #1 RB in the nation and a converted WR playing QB, you call mostly passes in the 2nd half??

william_brasky
10/8/2006, 11:16 AM
We also used to out-discipline other teams.

No longer.

A Mack Brown coached Texas teasm showed more discipline than a Bob Stoops coached Oklahoma team. That makes some so effin' sick. AHHHH!!!!!!

aero
10/8/2006, 11:19 AM
This is starting to sound like HF sounded a few years ago. Not that there may be some truth in all the bitching. Yes, we're not as experienced. Yes, the refs suck. But the team doesn't seem to have discipline (penalties, missed assignments) which would be dismissed as experience. More important, we seem to be lacking that SOONER attitude. We used to beat teams before the game started. This is not a typical SOONER defense. Seems we're missing some fire and a lineman that can make sh@t happen. Oh well. We're still not too bad and I guess we're going to have some years like this. But this ref crap is really starting to bug me.

go48
10/8/2006, 12:03 PM
I agree with aero. We are going to have years like this. Remember last year, we almost completely melted down, then became a VERY good team by the end of the season. The coaches didn't turn from great ('00-'04) to bad(first part of '05) to good(last part of '05) and now back to bad(Texas game) again. You people that are griping about the coaching, just think about what you are saying. Part of making mistakes in a game is discipline and the other part is just being a gamer. Sometimes being a gamer takes a little bit of experience in big games. I say sometimes, because look at McCoy. And whether you like the truth or not, and whether you like him or not, if we had Bomar, we would be 5-0 right now, no doubt. Just be a fan, enjoy the good times and endure the tough times. These guys will come through for us.

BIG_IKE
10/8/2006, 02:15 PM
I agree with aero. We are going to have years like this. Remember last year, we almost completely melted down, then became a VERY good team by the end of the season. The coaches didn't turn from great ('00-'04) to bad(first part of '05) to good(last part of '05) and now back to bad(Texas game) again. You people that are griping about the coaching, just think about what you are saying. Part of making mistakes in a game is discipline and the other part is just being a gamer. Sometimes being a gamer takes a little bit of experience in big games. I say sometimes, because look at McCoy. And whether you like the truth or not, and whether you like him or not, if we had Bomar, we would be 5-0 right now, no doubt. Just be a fan, enjoy the good times and endure the tough times. These guys will come through for us.

Not buyin it...
I'd take ENA over Bomar anyday.
If we had Bomar his face woulda got mopped all overt the Cotton Bowl and I gurantee you Chizik would have blitzed more.

I swear I only saw Texas blitz maybe twice..it seemed like they rushed 4 people the entire game...accepted our short yardage gains, and hit people in the mouth when they went downfield with the ball. I say we would not have even got the ball off as much with Bomar.

FaninAma
10/8/2006, 02:24 PM
I actually think OU is pretty close to being a really good team. We do need an upgrade at QB and our coaching staff needs to quit trying to force the rushing game. Let the game come to you! Ohio State only rushed for a little over 70 yards but their coacing staff was mature enough to take what the horns gave them. Our coaching staff wasn't.

goingoneight
10/8/2006, 02:44 PM
Out talented.....no
Out Coached.....no

Out played.... Yes!!!! And its that simple.

Out-coached, yes on defense. Don't deny it... everyone knows it by now.

FaninAma
10/8/2006, 02:45 PM
Weweren't outcoached on defense. We had a breakdown by a player who continues to have critical breakdowns. Our offensive play calling was very poor in the second half, IMO.

goingoneight
10/8/2006, 02:47 PM
JEBUS, PEOPLE!!! THE LOSS HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH OFFENSE!!! Do you all know anything about yesterday's choke job??? How do we not see this after 3 years of steady decline on defense?!?! :mad:

FaninAma
10/8/2006, 02:51 PM
JEBUS, PEOPLE!!! THE LOSS HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH OFFENSE!!! Do you all know anything about yesterday's choke job??? How do we not see this after 3 years of steady decline on defense?!?! :mad:

So genius, 10 points are always going to win games for us?

Dio
10/8/2006, 02:58 PM

Our defense turned the ball over 5 times?

goingoneight
10/8/2006, 03:03 PM
So genius, 10 points are always going to win games for us?

Right back at you, out gained the opponent with bad field position??? Don't let the vanilla Texass offense walk all over you and you could actually start off somewhere besides your own 5 yard line...

goingoneight
10/8/2006, 03:06 PM
Our defense turned the ball over 5 times?

OUr defense let McCoy air it up twice for the end zone... I don't mean spectacular catch by UT WRs... I mean, left assignments and set up easy TD passes. Think that had nothing to do with it as well??? OUr 2004 team had perhaps the best offense OU had ever fielded under Stoops and only scored 12. I'll just go pat myself on the back and say OUr defense is "gonna be the best Stoops defense yet..."

PalmBeachSooner
10/8/2006, 03:19 PM
Yeah it does happen. it happens when your program is getting OUT-executed. I've got serious concerns about this staff.

I appreciate where they got us, but business is business. We need Chiziks and Chows...

You can't keep replacing coordinators on a yearly basis and not expect to have problems.

EstablishedSooner1967
10/8/2006, 03:25 PM
OUt talented... for sure!! especiall on D where they were playing like there hair was on fire and causing TOs

OUmillenium
10/8/2006, 04:03 PM
Out-talented? Maybe. I don't buy into that crap.

What about our 5 game streak? We apparently were out-talented during that run.

We don't take it to people any longer. We don't surprise anyone. We don't get to the quarterback on D. Our offensive playcalling is unimaginative.

It seems the staff wants to simply play teams straight up. Everything's friggin' vanilla. BORING!!!

Where's the riverboat gambler mentality we used to have? Where's that smack 'em in the face mentality we used to have?

Did it leave with Mike Stoops?

Amen! You said it

tbl
10/8/2006, 06:47 PM
Out Coached.....no

Are you nuts??? Halftime adjustments are ALL about coaching, and it's obvious who made the halftime adjustments yesterday.

:mack: was the better coach yesterday; period.

Excuse me while I go vomit...

rhombic21
10/8/2006, 07:16 PM
Weweren't outcoached on defense. We had a breakdown by a player who continues to have critical breakdowns. Our offensive play calling was very poor in the second half, IMO.
I disagree.

That blitz never works anymore. People see it coming a mile away because we do it almost every time on third and long. We get no pressure, and we put our DBs on an island with it. Maybe you can get away with that when you have Derrick Strait and Andre Woolfolk at corner, but you can't expect for it to work consistently when you have trouble in the secondary like we do.

At some point it's on the coaches to take those critical breakdowns into consideration. It seems obvious to me that DJ Wolfe cannot play up at the LOS in the WRs backpocket like our old CBs used to. Doesn't look to me like Lendy Holmes is there yet either. The coaches need to either move Reggie back to corner, or simply accept the fact that we don't have 2 shut-down corners and call defenses accordingly. You simply can't expect for a converted HB and a converted WR to consistently hold up in single coverage against premier receivers. Same thing goes with the safeties. You can't honestly think that you can consistently put safeties (especially safeties with the cover skills that ours have) in single coverage with no help over the top.

There's also absolutely no excuse for having DEs as good as ours and not generating any pressure with the front four. I'm not just talking about against Texas. I'm talking all year. Call a stunt, call a slant, or do something. You absolutely cannot allow people to sit in the pocket like this, and you should be able to generate some pressure without sending the house.

Pepper
10/8/2006, 07:18 PM
Couldn't disagree more. Look at the stats.
(In reference to the title of this thread)

rhombic21
10/8/2006, 07:22 PM
Couldn't disagree more. Look at the stats.
Who are you talking to?

Jdog
10/8/2006, 07:57 PM
Blame it on the coaches - their the ones who teach disipline - Don't forget that that was our big problem in the Blake days.

Remember?

John Kochtoston
10/8/2006, 08:10 PM
OU had five turnovers, Texas zero. OU had 11 penalties, Texas 3. All other analysis is irrelevant.

Egeo
10/8/2006, 09:53 PM
i dont think we were outcoached on defense per say...
but rhombic is right about our one on one coverage - it sucks alot

as far as dline stunts and slants - we run alot of those (they just dont work - like our blitzes)

rhombic21
10/8/2006, 10:02 PM
as far as dline stunts and slants - we run alot of those (they just dont work - like our blitzes)
Yeah, you're right. We did stunt a couple times, but just got stoned. Seemed like we did better when we either blitzed 1 or played straight coverage, and were just content to give them time to throw the ball, than when we tried to generate a lot of heat. We'd blitz and still not get pressure. Their OL did a great job of picking up the blitz. Hard to tell if that's just them being good, us being bad, or if our blitzes were too predicatable.

OKC-SLC
10/8/2006, 10:24 PM
the coaches are responsible when a RB and WR are playing CBx2. and they are responsible when we get not only the number but the kind of penalties that we got (and have been getting for a year and a half).

no excuses, remember? i'm absolutely disgusted that our staff got outcoached by theirs, but it did. time to start looking for annual replacement coordinators with people OUTSIDE of the program.