PDA

View Full Version : NEXT YEAR's OU/texass game

TXBOOMER
10/7/2006, 09:49 PM
The worm has turned. As much as I hate to admit it, I don't see anyway in the world we beat these miserable pukes next year. We will more than likely struggle against them on offense with AD gone and a young QB with growing pains. Predictable play calling in the second half, turnovers and penalties and less talented lines on both sides of the ball got us beat today.
Any thoughts on what we may do to prepare this team for the future. Boomer Sooner and F texass!

MissouriSooner
10/7/2006, 09:54 PM
We could start by having the o-line block for our QB and RB; and oh, yeah, stay still until the ball is snapped so we don't start each series at 1st and 15.

SanMarcosCASooner
10/7/2006, 10:02 PM
NOPE!

We are going to F them up next year. BE OPTIMISTIC. We are an unknown next year. Remember Huepel!

www.voidgame.com

quit slipping our kids drugs and we'll be okay

OhU1
10/7/2006, 10:14 PM
What worm is this? And what is the significance of its "turn"?

BASSooner
10/7/2006, 10:16 PM
It will all depend on OUr new QB executing plays along, same as the defense. Things will change next year. We will be more pass-oriented. Defensively, hopefully, I hope we run the 4-2-5, but I think we'll stick with the 4-3 because of Venables. However, we need to learn how to tackle, block, communicate, and not make stupid mistakes.

Blue
10/7/2006, 10:19 PM
I don't see us beating texas for awhile. But, that's college football. I won't stop rooting for the Sooners.

I have a fear our coaching staff has jumped the shark.

UTsucks
10/7/2006, 10:19 PM
[QUOTE=SanMarcosCASooner]NOPE!

We are going to F them up next year. BE OPTIMISTIC. We are an unknown next year. Remember Huepel!

Explain to me what there is to be optimistic about? We WILL get smoked next year.

arlington
10/7/2006, 10:20 PM
Could we all agree not to concede next years RRR until at least the spring game or something? Im not conceding because next year we will have a ton of talented and most importantly, experienced members on our Oline and at receiver..Im not worried about a QB as long as we have the line and receivers because i have seen Texas and some others be ok with young, caretaker QBs..Texas loses a bunch of experience on there Oline and Dline, basically the only 2 places that they have a significant advantage over us..Sure they will have talent andf great recruits but NOTHING trumps experience on the big stage and we will have it next year..

Texas Golfer
10/7/2006, 10:22 PM
We'll be fine. We moved the ball better than they did today. Turnovers and stupid penalties beat us today, not the Longhorns.

Blue
10/7/2006, 10:23 PM
Could we all agree not to concede next years RRR until at least the spring game or something? Im not conceding because next year we will have a ton of talented and most importantly, experienced members on our Oline and at receiver..Im not worried about a QB as long as we have the line and receivers because i have seen Texas and some others be ok with young, caretaker QBs..Texas loses a bunch of experience on there Oline and Dline, basically the only 2 places that they have a significant advantage over us..Sure they will have talent andf great recruits but NOTHING trumps experience on the big stage and we will have it next year..

BREAK IT UP. ****. Run-on man.

Blue
10/7/2006, 10:23 PM
We'll be fine. We moved the ball better than they did today. Turnovers and stupid penalties beat us today, not the Longhorns.

No. They beat us.

1stTimeCaller
10/7/2006, 10:24 PM
OMG, WE WILL NEVER WIN ANOTHER GAME, EVAR!!!!

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

BIG_IKE
10/7/2006, 10:26 PM

Well...

I want to be optimistic as well...but Ohio State's defens ehas proved that if your stockloaded with talent you very well could reload and still be good.

UT no doubt loses some people, but thwe thing that concerns me is,

1. They will return ALL QB's, WR's and Linebackers, starters and back ups
2. They have Jamal Charles (for 2 more seasons)
3. The D-Line returns 3

Bottom line is, I only see them getting more experienced next year and even more dangerous next year.

We need to

1. Overhaul our recruiting practices and get players that are the caliber of players we need to accomplish our goals.

2. Find some intensity and some fire.

soonerthanu
10/7/2006, 10:27 PM
So texas beats us this year with a redshirt f-QB...But there is no way we can beat them with one.

BIG_IKE
10/7/2006, 10:28 PM
No. They beat us.

Pretty much...with or without penalties they physically scuffed our guys up. THAT is why we lost. We played too soft and they didnt.

Blue
10/7/2006, 10:29 PM

Not the point. We got out-talented, out-coached, and out-lucked. We used to be that team.

bcgvh
10/8/2006, 03:21 AM
I hate to say it too, but I think Texas right now is where we were in 2001coming off the national title.....they're loaded, they have a better coaching staff, and they're fairly young. Brent Venables doesn't know what he's doing and Kevin Wilson is looking more and more like Chuck Long. I haven't seen us truly fired up since Mike Stoops left. We beat them 5 years straight and now they have a really legit shot at doing the same to us. Who knows what next year will bring, but right now I can't say that I'm too thrilled about it.

TXBOOMER
10/8/2006, 11:57 AM

You are a smart ***! You need your *** kicked and I volunteer to get the job done. If you want a piece let me know.

Flagstaffsooner
10/8/2006, 12:03 PM
I tell ya, its the '90's all over again!
http://www.frenchbenj.com/blog/IMG/debbiedowner.jpg

TXBOOMER
10/8/2006, 12:26 PM
Look if your a whiny little queer and don't mind getting your arse beat by texass turn your Sooner gear in. Don't kid yourself into thinking we'll be okay breaking a new QB in every year. Not having any hope for a National Championship and very little hope of beating texass takes away some fire from OUr program.

Flagstaffsooner
10/8/2006, 12:56 PM
The SOONERS will return!
http://sooner.nmn.speedera.net/pics4/200/EB/EBXVSLQXXPVZJJR.20030822204526.jpg

TXBOOMER
10/8/2006, 01:06 PM
What worm is this? And what is the significance of its "turn"?

Losing the past two years and not seeing an easy end to that streak would be my first two clues Sherlock.

Sooner98
10/8/2006, 01:29 PM
You are a smart ***! You need your *** kicked and I volunteer to get the job done. If you want a piece let me know.

Look if your a whiny little queer and don't mind getting your arse beat by texass turn your Sooner gear in.

Losing the past two years and not seeing an easy end to that streak would be my first two clues Sherlock.

Dude, settle down. It's just the internet.

Pepper
10/8/2006, 08:04 PM
Hopefully we can bring in a good qb but that is the biggest question mark. Also we will lose AD. On the plus side Demarco Murray should be good at RB. We should have a very good, experienced group at WR, TE, and OL. In the Oklahoma/Texas area, it is still OU and Texas vying for top prospects. There are plenty to chose from and Texas can't take them all.
On the Texas side they will graduate a lot of key players- ones who caused fumbles or scored TDs. However they will have a very good qb with experience and good talent.
Overall I don't see a decisive advantage unless our qb next year sucks.

rhombic21
10/8/2006, 08:11 PM
Texas, without their offensive line, will be a completely different team next year. Losing those 3 guys on the OL is probably just as big of a deal for them as losing AD is for us.

QB will be the question for OU. We can get solid production at HB (look at what we had last year with Patrick and Gute during AD's injury, and Murray might be a stud). Our WRs will probably be very good. Our TEs will be really good. Our OL should be improved (although I don't know if they'll be as good as the '04 OL), and we return a big chunk of the defense and special teams. If we can find a QB and a couple guys to play LB (Lofton and Reynolds perhaps?), we could be good. Probably not NC good, but still fairly good. Texas isn't all that great this year, and they will probably take a step backwards next year.

TXBOOMER
10/8/2006, 08:12 PM
Hopefully we can bring in a good qb but that is the biggest question mark. Also we will lose AD. On the plus side Demarco Murray should be good at RB. We should have a very good, experienced group at WR, TE, and OL. In the Oklahoma/Texas area, it is still OU and Texas vying for top prospects. There are plenty to chose from and Texas can't take them all.
On the Texas side they will graduate a lot of key players- ones who caused fumbles or scored TDs. However they will have a very good qb with experience and good talent.
Overall I don't see a decisive advantage unless our qb next year sucks.

Why wouldn't OUr new QB suck next year? What have you observed over the past couple of years to make you think otherwise when breaking in a new QB?

GottaHavePride
10/8/2006, 08:13 PM
Josh Heupel as QB coach gives me hope.

TXBOOMER
10/8/2006, 08:22 PM
Josh Heupel as QB coach gives me hope.

Bomar set this program back 2 or three years. But, I'm right there with you with hope because of Josh Heupel. Reality and history tells me we are at least two years away from competing for a Big 12 Championship. We don't have a Josh Heupel playing QB and it took him two years.

Pepper
10/8/2006, 09:25 PM
For starters we have awesome WR's and TE's. Second, at the beginning of the year when the Bomar story hit, I imagine it caused some young prep quarterbacks to start to think about OU. If they want to play right away, I imagine that would be a big incentive to sign with OU.

Jdog
10/8/2006, 09:38 PM

Not scoring touchdown is what's hurting us. Our field goal to touchdown ratio is awful - especially inside the 20.

Jdog
10/8/2006, 09:46 PM
Texas, without their offensive line, will be a completely different team next year. Losing those 3 guys on the OL is probably just as big of a deal for them as losing AD is for us.

QB will be the question for OU. We can get solid production at HB (look at what we had last year with Patrick and Gute during AD's injury, and Murray might be a stud). Our WRs will probably be very good. Our TEs will be really good. Our OL should be improved (although I don't know if they'll be as good as the '04 OL), and we return a big chunk of the defense and special teams. If we can find a QB and a couple guys to play LB (Lofton and Reynolds perhaps?), we could be good. Probably not NC good, but still fairly good. Texas isn't all that great this year, and they will probably take a step backwards next year.

QB is a big question but I'm more concerned with our Defense - as long as BV and BJW are running the show we'll be weak. Defense beats Texas and wins championships - even with rookie QB's.

Statalyzer
10/8/2006, 09:52 PM
Turnovers and stupid penalties beat us today, not the Longhorns.

Curiously, not a single turnover had anything to do with the Longhorn D.

soonerlaw
10/8/2006, 10:08 PM
We still have some games to play this year though. Its going to be tough as Mizzou and Tech are not going to be easy, but I realistically think every game from here on out is winnable. We have a great group of kids who just need to play with a little more passion and a little more discipline, and they still have the chance to have a great season.

BASSooner
10/8/2006, 10:31 PM
We still have some games to play this year though. Its going to be tough as Mizzou and Tech are not going to be easy, but I realistically think every game from here on out is winnable. We have a great group of kids who just need to play with a little more passion and a little more discipline, and they still have the chance to have a great season.
I agree 100%. When the season is over, however, everything is going to change in the off-season program....hopefully.

OKC-SLC
10/8/2006, 10:35 PM
can i have y'all's OU/TX tickets from next year?

TIA.

Socrefbek
10/8/2006, 10:36 PM

I think you need a timeout from the admins Mr. Angry Man :les:

Sooner98
10/8/2006, 11:02 PM
For what it's worth, TXBOOMER, I wasn't the one who negged you.

Football Jim
10/9/2006, 12:37 AM
I have seen "Sooner Magic" sooooooo many times. It WILL happen again.

Don't predict a loss to Texas without at least seeing how well the team develops the rest of this year through next season's non conf. schedule!

OldGuyinStudentSection
10/9/2006, 03:42 AM
How about this lineup...

QB- ???
RB- Patrick/Gute/Murray/Brown
TE- JJF/Gresham
WR- MK, Iglesias, Johnson, Strong, Tennell
OL- Braxton/Duke/Cooper/Walker/Williams (with depth from Beeler, Brandon and Brandon already in place)

DE- Dotson, Williams, English
DT- Coleman, Granger, Pendleton, Bennett, McCoy
LB- Harris, Lofton, Reynolds
CB- Walker, Smith
S- Clayton, Williams

We should expect a talent dropoff at QB and RB. The OL will be much improved as the lone senior is the current weakest link and should help the new QB and RB.

Texas loses their 3 best OL in Sendlein, Blalock and Studdard. Jumbo TE Neale Tweedie graduates. Unless a freshman steps up at RB, Charles will carry the load by himself with Selvin Young graduating. McCoy/Snead/Brantley will have talented WR's with experience to catch passes though the pass protection is a big question mark heading into next season. Two first day NFL picks are gone at DE. Okam might be an early NFL entrant at DT. The LB corps will be strong but they lose 3/4 of the secondary, with the perceived weakest player (Marcus Griffin) being the lone returning starter.

I see OU returning 15 starters plus both special teams guys while Texas will be bringing back 12 at the most and they replace every member of the special teams all the way down to their deep snapper.

Based on NFL potential, OU loses AD, Rufus, Ah You and Birdine. Texas loses Young, Sendlein, Blalock, Studdard, Crowder, Robison, Brown, Griffin and Ross.

Next year's game is anything but sided towards Texas right now. I'd put our returning talent up against theirs tomorrow and feel really good about it.

BIG_IKE
10/9/2006, 03:59 AM
How about this lineup...

QB- ???
RB- Patrick/Gute/Murray/Brown
TE- JJF/Gresham
WR- MK, Iglesias, Johnson, Strong, Tennell
OL- Braxton/Duke/Cooper/Walker/Williams (with depth from Beeler, Brandon and Brandon already in place)

DE- Dotson, Williams, English
DT- Coleman, Granger, Pendleton, Bennett, McCoy
LB- Harris, Lofton, Reynolds
CB- Walker, Smith
S- Clayton, Williams

We should expect a talent dropoff at QB and RB. The OL will be much improved as the lone senior is the current weakest link and should help the new QB and RB.

Texas loses their 3 best OL in Sendlein, Blalock and Studdard. Jumbo TE Neale Tweedie graduates. Unless a freshman steps up at RB, Charles will carry the load by himself with Selvin Young graduating. McCoy/Snead/Brantley will have talented WR's with experience to catch passes though the pass protection is a big question mark heading into next season. Two first day NFL picks are gone at DE. Okam might be an early NFL entrant at DT. The LB corps will be strong but they lose 3/4 of the secondary, with the perceived weakest player (Marcus Griffin) being the lone returning starter.

I see OU returning 15 starters plus both special teams guys while Texas will be bringing back 12 at the most and they replace every member of the special teams all the way down to their deep snapper.

Based on NFL potential, OU loses AD, Rufus, Ah You and Birdine. Texas loses Young, Sendlein, Blalock, Studdard, Crowder, Robison, Brown, Griffin and Ross.

Next year's game is anything but sided towards Texas right now. I'd put our returning talent up against theirs tomorrow and feel really good about it.

Thats a optimistic way to look at it...maybe a little overly optimistic though.

Texas will return it's best RB...Charles, plus Melton..
All the QB's...
ALL the Receivers....Pittman, Sweed, Shipley, Quan Cosby...
It's best Tight End in Jermichael Finley...
They lose 3 linemen, but I am willing to bet the reserves are not scrubs..

On Defense..

They return all LB's, starters and reserves...thats Killebrew, Bobino, Derry, Kindle, Muckleroy and Kelson (who also can play DB)

On the D-Line they return Okam, Orakpo, Lokey and some reserves..
In the Secondary they lose the seniors, but they still will have a nice group.
And MArcus Griffin, the alleged weak link is the teams leading tackler this year, and he will be back,,

Couple that with the freshman class from this year and the ones they have next year I think Texas will be just as good next year as they are this year. If the new O-line is even halfway decent they will be BETTER on offense...

If we get good backfield replacements (QB & RB) I predict Texas and OU to be Preseaon Top 10, Texas will probably be Pre-season Top 3 if MAlcolm in the Middle continues to improve..

crawfish
10/9/2006, 08:41 AM
Alright, you've convinced me. We're screwed. We may never win this game again.

tomtom
10/9/2006, 09:02 AM
other than that how did you like dallas mrs kennedy

josh09
10/9/2006, 09:42 AM
The worm has turned. As much as I hate to admit it, I don't see anyway in the world we beat these miserable pukes next year. We will more than likely struggle against them on offense with AD gone and a young QB with growing pains. Predictable play calling in the second half, turnovers and penalties and less talented lines on both sides of the ball got us beat today.
Any thoughts on what we may do to prepare this team for the future. Boomer Sooner and F texass!

i think the opposite. were a young team, which is why we made stupid mistakes and penalties. i think that we'll mature next year. and i like the way halzle looks, but we'll see.

SoFla Sooner
10/9/2006, 10:25 AM
I left the game thinking exactly the same things....Texas is on their way to a string of at least 3 victories over us, perhaps 4. And then I slept on it and started actually putting some real thought into the situation. Year in and year out, this game is more similar to other college football games than it is different whether we like to admit it or not. Meaning...simply put, it is won at the line of scrimmage by and large. And of course (and this is impossible to predict) the turnover battle. It is quite clear that next year, anyway, we SHOULD be superior on both the offensive and defensive lines. The turnover battle, if you believe in the law of averages, should be ours as well. I'm not so sure about that last one. All that said, it would take a real numbskull to overlook our glaring weaknesses at QB etc. but I refuse to be a complete pessimist. I still think our chances in the RRS next year are pretty decent. Flame me as a crazy if you want!;)

1stTimeCaller
10/9/2006, 03:33 PM
nm

horninokc
10/9/2006, 09:58 PM
i think the opposite. were a young team, which is why we made stupid mistakes and penalties. i think that we'll mature next year. and i like the way halzle looks, but we'll see.

Whatever...:pop: