PDA

View Full Version : NOTE TO AD:

nBoSTP
10/7/2006, 07:33 PM
Don't ever quit on a swing pass until you hear the ref blow the whistle for the incomplete pass. You could have easily recovered that incompete pass that was ruled a fumble anyway. However, you made no effort to recover it even though there was no whistle blown.

Rogue
10/7/2006, 07:35 PM
That was a very close call. Probably the right call but easy to question.

I don't even knock AD for not chasing it since the play that was called was NOT a backward pass but a forward pass so he, and most everybody, was thinking that it was just an incomplete pass.

How many receivers do you see chasing dead ball incomplete passes around on the ground? You don't.

T_Boner
10/7/2006, 07:42 PM
NOTE to you...STFU, he's doing the best he can!!!

nBoSTP
10/7/2006, 07:44 PM
I like Peterson as much as you do. All I am asking is that he not quit until the whistle is blown.

Snrfn4ever08
10/7/2006, 07:45 PM
Calm down, he's right. Although that was a bad call, if the ref doesn't blow the whistle, you have to keep playing. One thing about football is that it doesn't matter what the players on the field think the call should be, but what the officials think it should be. If they don't whistle it dead, you can't stop playing just because you think it should be dead. It doesn't work that way.

MissouriSooner
10/7/2006, 07:46 PM
Note to AD: You are the only true bluechip player on the team, and the only guy who busts his hump from beginning to end. On the fumbled pass that was picked up and returned by the LB, who's the one who chased the LB down and KNOCKED OFF HIS F'ING HELMET WITH THE TACKLE?? AD, that's who. I hope he stays healthy this year, gets drafted high in the NFL draft next year, and makes the big bucks he so richly deserves. He's a STUD; the only one we have on the team this year. Get off his ***.

booomer
10/7/2006, 07:48 PM
Maybe he's getting physically tired from carrying the whole team......I fully expected to see him on the defensive line too.....and in the secondary as a cover man.

Perhpas next game we will see him as the defensive coordinator.

nBoSTP
10/7/2006, 07:50 PM
That was a great hit he made on that DB. Like I said I love having AD as much as the next guy but he made a mistake not recovering that incomplete pass. Even he isn't above making a mistake now then.

afs
10/7/2006, 07:52 PM
Note to AD: stick around for your senior year, maybe then you'll have a chance for the Heisman.

Indy Sooner
10/7/2006, 07:53 PM
Note to AD: stick around for your senior year, maybe then you'll have a chance for the Heisman.

And the MNC.

booomer
10/7/2006, 07:53 PM

Unfortunately, the Heisman has turned into the best player on the best team. Next year will do him no good.

TUSooner
10/7/2006, 07:54 PM

I don't even knock AD for not chasing it since the play that was called was NOT a backward pass but a forward pass so he, and most everybody, was thinking that it was just an incomplete pass.

How many receivers do you see chasing dead ball incomplete passes around on the ground? You don't.

I dont like to knock AD at all, but that play was way too close to "assume," and AD should have played it like a fumble. That's not the first time that swing-pass play has missed this year; seems like we've had some close calls that went in our favor on that play in other games.

Oh yeah -I think his hit after the fumble was the hardest hit on a whorn ball carrier all day.

Tear Down This Wall
10/7/2006, 07:57 PM
Calm down, he's right. Although that was a bad call, if the ref doesn't blow the whistle, you have to keep playing. One thing about football is that it doesn't matter what the players on the field think the call should be, but what the officials think it should be. If they don't whistle it dead, you can't stop playing just because you think it should be dead. It doesn't work that way.

Part of our problem is that our team is seeing Stoops sulk on the sideline and they're adopting that mindset.

The old Stoops seems to be long, long gone. No more gambling/dare devil calls on offense or defense. No more publicly calling out players to challenge them.

When hired, Stoops was more Spurrier. Sadly, he's more and more turning into his other coaching mentor, Bill Snyder.

SoonerMajic
10/7/2006, 09:48 PM
Regardless of how good AD is and all he does, there is no excuse for not treating that ball as live until the whistle is blown.

This seems to be part of an over-all problem where the team just is not fundamentally sharp, such as

1. Stopping and watching assuming the play is over, when it's not;

2. Kicking team blockers looking back at AD rather than going to hit someone;

3. Coming clean on blitzes, but taking bad angles toward the quarterback, which allows the QB to escape.

Widescreen
10/7/2006, 11:27 PM
Regardless of how good AD is and all he does, there is no excuse for not treating that ball as live until the whistle is blown.

This seems to be part of an over-all problem where the team just is not fundamentally sharp, such as

1. Stopping and watching assuming the play is over, when it's not;

2. Kicking team blockers looking back at AD rather than going to hit someone;

3. Coming clean on blitzes, but taking bad angles toward the quarterback, which allows the QB to escape.
All good points. Especially #3. I wonder how many times our guys are going to do that before realizing that they MUST keep containment at all costs. Running directly at the QB ain't getting it done. A quick spin and the QB has all day - even if he's slow like Mccoy. Either we've got some mentally slow players or our coaches aren't getting it done.

mikeb
10/7/2006, 11:50 PM
I can not believe this b-**** I am reading. Are you dumb @ss people actually talking about the very best running back OU has ever put on a football field (and in my opinion the best running back EVAR). Why dont you talk about the worst defese I have seen in 7 years or the worst Offesive line that I have seen in what maybe 10 years. People get your stuff together, you are looking at a future NFL superstar.

mikeb
10/7/2006, 11:54 PM

Thank you so much for trying to help these people understand. Much speck to you.

GottaHavePride
10/7/2006, 11:55 PM
I can not believe this b-**** I am reading. Are you dumb @ss people actually talking about the very best running back OU has ever put on a football field (and in my opinion the best running back EVAR). Why dont you talk about the worst defese I have seen in 7 years or the worst Offesive line that I have seen in what maybe 10 years. People get your stuff together, you are looking at a future NFL superstar.

I love AD, and he's amazingly talented, but he is rendered ineffective by a bad o-line. If we're going to win, we have to lean on Paul and the passing game more, because the o-line can't get it done on the ground.

mikeb
10/7/2006, 11:59 PM
I love AD, and he's amazingly talented, but he is rendered ineffective by a bad o-line. If we're going to win, we have to lean on Paul and the passing game more, because the o-line can't get it done on the ground.
Right on bro.

Indy Sooner
10/8/2006, 11:20 AM
I can not believe this b-**** I am reading. Are you dumb @ss people actually talking about the very best running back OU has ever put on a football field (and in my opinion the best running back EVAR).

AD is a great RB, but is certainly not the greatest of all-time from OU. When defining this, first eliminate all that don't have a Heisman Trophy to their credit.

GottaHavePride
10/8/2006, 11:37 AM
I don't take the Heisman as an indicator of greatness anymore - it's an indicator of hype. If it were truly a measuring stick of greatness Josh Heupel would have one, Jason White would have two, and Adrian Peterson would have one from his freshman year. ;)

TXBOOMER
10/8/2006, 12:33 PM
Heisman has more to do with advertising than play. Josh Heupel would certainly have one if the best college football player won it. AD is the most physically gifted RB to ever lace it up at OU. Q was the greatest playmaker at RB at OU. Billy Sims was the best mixture of the two. IMHO.

Soonrboy
10/8/2006, 01:37 PM
and Roy should still be receiving one.

FroggyStyle22
10/8/2006, 01:47 PM
I don't take the Heisman as an indicator of greatness anymore - it's an indicator of hype. If it were truly a measuring stick of greatness Josh Heupel would have one, Jason White would have two, and Adrian Peterson would have one from his freshman year. ;)

Either AD can have one from his Fr year OR JW can have 2. Not both.

Indy Sooner
10/8/2006, 02:00 PM
Heisman has more to do with advertising than play. Josh Heupel would certainly have one if the best college football player won it. AD is the most physically gifted RB to ever lace it up at OU. Q was the greatest playmaker at RB at OU. Billy Sims was the best mixture of the two. IMHO.

If you define "physically gifted" as the most sculpted body then you are right.

How about Joe Washington as a playmaker? I realize many OU RBs might predate a number of posters on this board.

Echoes
10/8/2006, 02:03 PM
Note to AD: You are the only true bluechip player on the team, and the only guy who busts his hump from beginning to end. On the fumbled pass that was picked up and returned by the LB, who's the one who chased the LB down and KNOCKED OFF HIS F'ING HELMET WITH THE TACKLE?? AD, that's who. I hope he stays healthy this year, gets drafted high in the NFL draft next year, and makes the big bucks he so richly deserves. He's a STUD; the only one we have on the team this year. Get off his ***.

I am going to have to disagree there. Have you seen Reggie Smith on the field? I'm sorry, but he is every bit, if not more of an athlete then Adrian is. He sees the field on both sides of the ball and special teams so good, its amazing.

GottaHavePride
10/8/2006, 02:16 PM
Either AD can have one from his Fr year OR JW can have 2. Not both.

they were that good. They would've given out 2 that year. :D

EstablishedSooner1967
10/8/2006, 04:08 PM
quit juking so much and run some SOB over.. he had a chance to go 80 but juked and the ut guy made a good open field tackle as much like all the ut kids did...

gnostic19
10/8/2006, 05:06 PM
Don't ever quit on a swing pass until you hear the ref blow the whistle for the incomplete pass. You could have easily recovered that incompete pass that was ruled a fumble anyway. However, you made no effort to recover it even though there was no whistle blown.

Note to nBoSTP:
That was a horrible call. I was in perfect position to see it was a forward pass because i was the reciever, not you. Now move on and stop patronizing me you miserable oaf.

Hatfield
10/8/2006, 05:11 PM

technically on that play...no he wasn't.

just saying....get on it if it is even questionable....which it was.

birddog
10/8/2006, 05:11 PM
Note to nBoSTP:
That was a horrible call. I was in perfect position to see it was a forward pass because i was the reciever, not you. Now move on and stop patronizing me you miserable oaf.

i knew this was ad.:D

Pepper
10/8/2006, 07:13 PM
I do not blame AD for that bad call (the "backwards" pass).

However I do blame him for catching that kickoff 1 yard from the sideline. If he's going to be our kick returner he should be aware of his position on the field and let the ball go out of bounds in that situation.

TXBOOMER
10/8/2006, 07:35 PM
If you define "physically gifted" as the most sculpted body then you are right.

How about Joe Washington as a playmaker? I realize many OU RBs might predate a number of posters on this board.

Power, strength, tackle breaking ability. Little Joe is before my time. He looked great and the King has a high opinion of him. Joe played against a lot more white defenders than Q did. But, I'll give you Joe as a playmaker though.

Indy Sooner
10/8/2006, 09:29 PM
Joe played against a lot more white defenders than Q did. But, I'll give you Joe as a playmaker though.

Joe also was a playmaker at the next level, unlike Q.

Are you suggesting white defenders are less skilled at tackling than are defenders of other/mixed races? That logic confuses me.

Egeo
10/8/2006, 09:35 PM
the defense held texas to less than 250 yards and 21 points while being put in less than perfect field position most of the day

how bout we learn how to hold on to the gd ball

DUCKHUNTDAVE
10/8/2006, 09:57 PM
Personally,

I was at the game and thought the same thing as everyone else is, I said wth, why didn't AD go after the ball? Got home and watched it on TIVO, and there was no way Peterson could have recovered the ball in time, or tackled the opposing player. If anyone has TIVO, you can back me up on this. It was done once the ball hit the ground. The Texas defender was there in a second, picked the ball up and went 2 steps. So, I don't blame him. Also, anyone's "natural" reaction when there's an incomplete pass is to give up on the play, but in this case, it didn't matter.

And in the 35 years I've watched OU, Peterson is the best, then Billy Sims, then Marcus Dupree in my opinion.