PDA

View Full Version : Unemployment (Oklahoma) question.

SeattleOUstudent
10/7/2006, 07:14 PM
Friend and I got into a discussion at dinner last night. He left his last job on good terms. Wrote a letter, gave two weeks and resigned. The company he was leaving to go to folded and he never worked a day for them. Does he qualify for unemployment benefits? Where does Oklahoma's Right To Work fall under this? TIA!

SoonerBorn68
10/7/2006, 07:30 PM
I thought you had to be fired or laid off to collect any benefits.

Okla-homey
10/7/2006, 08:40 PM
Friend and I got into a discussion at dinner last night. He left his last job on good terms. Wrote a letter, gave two weeks and resigned. The company he was leaving to go to folded and he never worked a day for them. Does he qualify for unemployment benefits?

No.

Bad timing, but he's nevertheless hosed.

Frozen Sooner
10/7/2006, 08:50 PM
Sounds like he should contact the old job and start begging.

Right to Work doesn't have anything to do with this, unless Oklahoma's Right to Work has weird stuff in it not normally associated with RTW.

Okla-homey
10/8/2006, 09:54 AM
...unless Oklahoma's Right to Work has weird stuff in it not normally associated with RTW.

We do have some funky exceptions to the right to work doctrine. My favorite weird exception is Oklahoma employers generally can't fire people because they use tobacco.

http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/deliverdocument.asp?id=77621&hits=223+196+106+63+38+

Frozen Sooner
10/8/2006, 11:46 AM
Kooky.

Okla-homey
10/8/2006, 02:52 PM
Kooky.

Yet it remains unchallenged since its enactment in 1991.

Chuck Bao
10/8/2006, 03:20 PM
I curious about this issue.

If the guy had an employment contract with the new company, whether started or not, and the company closed down, why shouldn't he be entitled to unemployment benefits?

Some people work on yearly employment contracts. What diff should it make if the new contract is with old company or a new company that subsequently closed?

Hatfield
10/8/2006, 03:42 PM
you can resign and still receive benefits provided you resigned for "good cause".

and he wouldn't be able to attach his worker's comp to the new co. because he hasn't worked whatever the qualifying time is

sorry but he is screwed.*

*caveat being that he applys for unemployment and if his previous co. doesn't respond/dispute then he will be eligible for them.