PDA

View Full Version : Plain and Simple.....

TripleOption14
10/7/2006, 06:53 PM
the BOB STOOPS MYSTIQUE is OVER!!!! And please...please...... don't think i'm knocking on Coach Stoop cause i'm not!!! But his teams of yester year are gone!!! These players that are in the program now are just not the same caliber of players!!!

Or should i say the days of Mike Stoops are GONE!!!!

85Sooner
10/7/2006, 06:54 PM
For whatever reasons the swagger is gone. Hopefully it will return Sooner rather than later.

TripleOption14
10/7/2006, 06:58 PM
I don't know what it is but ...... MAN this team has not had "it" for a long time!!! Am i the only one who remembers when this team used to strike FEAR in the HEARTS of their opposition!!!!! Mike Stoops cannot posbably mean that much!!!!! Can he??????

Flagstaffsooner
10/7/2006, 06:58 PM
Yeah, let's bring Boo or Smelllybourbon back.:rolleyes:

delhalew
10/7/2006, 07:01 PM

I don't think thats what anyone is driving at. Do you disagree that there is a very serious problem?

TripleOption14
10/7/2006, 07:04 PM

As I said.... "please....please don't think i'm knocking on Caoch Stoops!!"

But the AURA is GONE!!!!!! He is no longer untouchable!!! The streak is over. And OU has to get HUNGRY again!!!!

SoonerStormchaser
10/7/2006, 07:05 PM
We need some blue collar recruits to get hungry again. Enough to get some of the guys to get off their laurels and get working.

TripleOption14
10/7/2006, 07:12 PM
Or.... get some NFL blood!!!!! HELL everyone else seems to do it for a couple of years!!!! SH!!!TTT Dom Capers can't be but a phone call away!!!!!!

nBoSTP
10/7/2006, 07:14 PM
I think he needs to stop spending so much time arguing with officials and more time getting the offensive line to stay still till the team hikes the damn ball.

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/7/2006, 07:18 PM
I am going to let you in on a little secret...everyone of us for the most part will lay our heads on our pillow tonight and fall right asleep....Bob Stoops won't sleep well at all. Do you think he isn't as critical of himself as any of you can be?

Tulsa_Fireman
10/7/2006, 07:19 PM
Or.... get some NFL blood!!!!! HELL everyone else seems to do it for a couple of years!!!! SH!!!TTT Dom Capers can't be but a phone call away!!!!!!

I can't agree with that at all.

HOWEVER...

I wanna draw blood. I wanna stroke hat and hear nothing but dangerous, soul-crunching, grandma-slobberknocking hits coming from men with foamed up spit drippin' from the corners of their mouths. I wanna actually agree with giving up the rare long ball in exchange for -27 yards rushing, 4 sacks, and a quarterback that walks off the field at the end of a game with a jersey that looks green with grass stains, not bright and shiny like he's sleepin' with a drycleaner's daughter.

When I think of this, I think of Mike Stoops.

I think those Ryan boys did that a lil' too.

I tell you right now, the cats down in my beloved Norman, Oklahoma sure as hell ain't.

zeke
10/7/2006, 07:20 PM
I like Mike

AzianSooner
10/7/2006, 07:20 PM
The bright day will return. There are always great coaches in OU football program

Tear Down This Wall
10/7/2006, 07:21 PM
I think he needs to stop spending so much time arguing with officials and more time getting the offensive line to stay still till the team hikes the damn ball.

Candidate for Post of the Year.

TripleOption14
10/7/2006, 07:21 PM
As many of the OU women can atest i'm sure.... IMO its time for Coach to reach down and grab em and man up and say "I NEED HELP!!!!" And its sooooo hard for guys to do that (me included) that it makes it a problem sometimes!!!

sooneron
10/7/2006, 07:24 PM
Maybe Bob should consider earning a paycheck instead of building a new house or resting on the laurels.

pathetic, big game coach, my ***!

OhU1
10/7/2006, 07:27 PM
Stoops is still great. But not as great as he was with Mike. Mike on the other hand is underwhelming as a head coach.

We would probably have 2 more national titles right now if Mike had stayed. Mike is busy right now building jack squat in the desert. Together with big bro Bob he'd be part of a dynasty (but making less jack).

In THIS game AD was a distraction IMO. To us. Peterson doesn't have to get the ball 2 of every 3 plays. Texas pass D was not that good. We moved the ball when we aired it out. A little more touch on a few pass plays and the WR was in position to take it in. Thompson did alright other than the goof pass to Peterson late that was walked in by UT (have to get it to the super star).

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/7/2006, 07:28 PM
How much money does OU get to play Texas at the Cotton Bowl...bowl games? That is probably more than enough to cover Bob's paycheck. Also do you follow Bob around all day and make sure he is doing enough to earn his paycheck?

Tear Down This Wall
10/7/2006, 07:31 PM
It's a little early to pencil us in for the Cotton Bowl. We've got to play on the road at Missouri and A&M as well as host Texas Tech - possibly with the 11th different secondary lineup of the season if BJW and Stoops still haven't decided who to start where by then.

SoonerRoads
10/7/2006, 07:32 PM
Sick? Yeah I am sick to death of seeing a poor defensive scheme and that is excatly what we have at OU. It is sad, but true. Don't kid yourself, we have great athletes on that team, but in the absence of a good defensive scheme, even great athletes can look not very good. We had unimaginative blitzes and stunts and you can absolutely forget about maintaining leverage on the outside. Whenever the Horns wanted to run outside, they pretty much did so. And I am not faulting the Defense entirely, there is blame to go on the Offensive side of the ball as well. How the heck can you possibly think that the solution to everything is to give Adrian the ball? The quick slants to the TE's and WR's in behind the LB's with a strong play action fake to AD, was open ALL DAY LONG. AD could have had 200 yards had we pursued this line of attack FIRST. The that would have opened up the running game more and even the downfield passing that we attempted. Add in a lack of concentration by a young O-Line and officials that got 2 out of three calls wrong, and you have a recipe for failure. Praise to Paul Thompson because he tried his best and made good decisions most of the time, but remember, he is just supposed to be "managing" the game, nto actually "being" the game, though he tried. AD gave it all he could as well and kudos there, but the majority of the blame needs to fall on the D-side of the ball. Tiem for a new D-Coordiantor. Mike Stoops left and took the heart of the team we grew to know and love, with him. I agree, the fire and the great schemes, are gone. Hope we rebound VS. Iowa State.

JBIILonghorns
10/7/2006, 07:35 PM
I'm a Longhorn fan and alum and I'm glad Texas won, but I want to see OU with the fire and passion they had from 2000 to 2004. It's good for the conference.

I don't understand why the OU players these days seem to not show the focus or urgency of those past teams. They still try hard, but the concentration is not the same.

I mean, how much more experience do the 2006 sooners have than the 2000 sooners?

TripleOption14
10/7/2006, 07:35 PM
He earns his check... w/ the whole Bomar incident are you kiddig me?!?!? The sad thing is this is now a for the most part a 8-4 9-3 ball club!!! Well... one of those losses doesn't count so.....

T_Boner
10/7/2006, 07:36 PM
the BOB STOOPS MYSTIQUE is OVER!!!! And please...please...... don't think i'm knocking on Coach Stoop cause i'm not!!! But his teams of yester year are gone!!!

I'll give you that much. It also sure seems like the back to back NC losses have jinxed our beloved Sooners

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/7/2006, 07:36 PM
We will be favored in every game from here on out and then we get to play Oregon again ;)

Tear Down This Wall
10/7/2006, 07:37 PM
The 2000 Sooners had a more veteran offensive line. They also had a great secondary - even the freshman playing at corner tha year, Strait and Thompson, were great.

JBIILonghorns
10/7/2006, 07:42 PM
The 2000 Sooners had a more veteran offensive line. They also had a great secondary - even the freshman playing at corner tha year, Strait and Thompson, were great.

So basically the players OU plucked back then were better I guess than they are now. I remember Strait and Woolfolk, Williams and Lehman. They were badasses.

Whoever #25 is now, he ALWAYS gets beat.

What is OU going to do for a quarterback?

Tear Down This Wall
10/7/2006, 07:49 PM
No, from 2001-2005, we lost 11or 12 offensive line recruits and a punter due to run ins with our strength and conditioning coach. It has killed our depth. J.D. Quinn being booted was another nail in the coffin of our offensive line hopes.

Still, Stoops stands by his strength and conditioning coach, Jerry Schmidt. So, what you see out of our OL is a bunch of guys who can withstand a "rigorous" workout that the "pus*sies" who left couldn't tolerate...but, they can't hear a snap count or block consistently from one play to the next.

But, most importantly, the strength and conditioning coach is happy with them. And, in the end, that's more important than winning and losing.

Tear Down This Wall
10/7/2006, 07:53 PM
So basically the players OU plucked back then were better I guess than they are now. I remember Strait and Woolfolk, Williams and Lehman. They were badasses.

Whoever #25 is now, he ALWAYS gets beat.

What is OU going to do for a quarterback?

#25 is D.J. Wolfe, a guy who didn't play corner in high school. He was the Oklahoma Gatorade Player of the year as a tailback and one of the most sought after recruits in the country - at tailback.

They moved Wolfe there last year when Stoops got caught with his pants down for not recruiting enough corners. This year, he's still out there. Still being burned like last year.

I feel bad for the kid because he was a great tailback. They shouldn't keep him out there playing a position he can't play. It baffles most Sooner fans as to why they keep running him out there.

Wolfe was briefly benched earlier in the season and his replacement, Lendy Holmes, played better. Why he's out there again? Only Stoops and Bobby Jack Wright know. We don't.

sooneron
10/7/2006, 08:07 PM
How much money does OU get to play Texas at the Cotton Bowl...bowl games? That is probably more than enough to cover Bob's paycheck. Also do you follow Bob around all day and make sure he is doing enough to earn his paycheck?
MAYBE I expected Bob to keep up with the raises he was getting along the way to where he is now. The day after the NU game in 00, he made it perfectly cleat to Boren that he would not be back in Norman unless the $ was sacked up, big time. It was, he had some good years and along the way, he fielded a team in one of the most embarassing losses in school history. And yet, true to Sooner form, we feel like he has nothing to answer to. It's like we feel like we don't deserve Bob. Switzer fielded a few teams that had 3 or 4 loss seasons and people were all over him. Was it b/c there were questionable things going on? Wake up, our rep (short lived) is tarnished again (like it or not). I don't blame Bob for that, necessarily. However,we can't let this staff have a pass that other's have not had.

Tear Down This Wall
10/7/2006, 08:18 PM
Also, a note on Switzer...

He never lost by 33 or 36 to anyone. Never on the Sooners worst day of Switzer's very few bad days did they get lit up.

Look, we were dominated in all phases of the 1988 Orange Bowl by Miami and still only lost 20-14. I mean, back then, that was as bad as it got on a bad day.

I've asked this before, but can we please stop the ridiculous comparisons between Stoops and Switzer. Until Stoops puts two more national championship trophies in the case, there's no comparison.

People, many coaches have one national title under their belts. Lavell Edwards, Danny Ford, etc. Let's hold up a few more seasons before we mention Stoops and Switzer in the same breath.

sooneron
10/7/2006, 08:30 PM
Also, a note on Switzer...

He never lost by 33 or 36 to anyone. Never on the Sooners worst day of Switzer's very few bad days did they get lit up.

Look, we were dominated in all phases of the 1988 Orange Bowl by Miami and still only lost 20-14. I mean, back then, that was as bad as it got on a bad day.

I've asked this before, but can we please stop the ridiculous comparisons between Stoops and Switzer. Until Stoops puts two more national championship trophies in the case, there's no comparison.

People, many coaches have one national title under their belts. Lavell Edwards, Danny Ford, etc. Let's hold up a few more seasons before we mention Stoops and Switzer in the same breath.

Yep

delhalew
10/7/2006, 08:32 PM
spec. Thanks for saying what many will not.

Just cause I'm not yelling for him to be fired does not mean I'm not monumentally disappointed in his performance.

sooneron
10/7/2006, 08:37 PM
I'm not saying that he should be fired either. I'm just sick of this whole "we are so lucky to have coach stoops" mentality. We were an elite program before he got here. We will be after he leaves someday. I think he needs to feel a little heat. When was the last BIG GAME that we won?:

delhalew
10/7/2006, 08:41 PM
I hear ya'. Fire is exactly what seems to be missing from the whole equation. I think its time the whole program feels some.

Tear Down This Wall
10/7/2006, 08:43 PM
I'm not saying that he should be fired either. I'm just sick of this whole "we are so lucky to have coach stoops" mentality. We were an elite program before he got here. We will be after he leaves someday. I think he needs to feel a little heat. When was the last BIG GAME that we won?:

Amen.

And, the last big game we won was...2004 shut out of Vince Young and Texas.

With Antonio Perkins and...Eric Bassey/Chijioke Onyenegecha at corner. Sheesh.