PDA

View Full Version : GREAT JOB DEFENSE...

BIG_IKE
10/7/2006, 06:36 PM
First of all, everyone lay off the defense. They did their job in this game. They were probably outmanned at the line of scrimmage and other places and they held the #4 Scoring Offense in the nation to 21 points. We held Texas to under 300 yards of offense and that is unheard of. We shut them down in the 1st half!!!!!

The real problem and the reason we lost is our offense.

1) We scored only ONE touchdown vs. the Whorns for the 3rd straight year
2) We should have let PT run or threaten to run more.
3) WE SHOULD HAVE HAD O-LINE DISCIPLINE
4) WE SHOULD NOT HAVE FUMBLED THE BALL!!!!!!!!!!!11

The Texas Defense was physically beating our guys up. I dont know how many times I saw earpads or helmets getting knocked off. The Offense played with no intensity and got manhandled, plain and simple.

TEXAS ONLY RUSHED 4 GUYS!!!! THE O has NO EXCUSE!!!!!! I saw Texas blitz maybe twice in this game. I thought PT did well, the O-Line and the play calling stunk.

Great Job Defense...you played well enough to win, too bad the O didnt show up.

P.S.- Snatch DJ's scholarship....

That is all,.:mad:

BermudaSooner
10/7/2006, 06:39 PM

Dude, nobody would have stayed with Sweed after that push-off. DJ was in his hip pocket, and then suddenly 2 yards behind after the push. We held UT to 100 yards passing even with that 35 yard pass--I'd say our DBs did pretty damn well.

TripleOption14
10/7/2006, 06:42 PM
First of all, everyone lay off the defense. They did their job in this game. They were probably outmanned at the line of scrimmage and other places and they held the #4 Scoring Offense in the nation to 21 points. We held Texas to under 300 yards of offense and that is unheard of. We shut them down in the 1st half!!!!!

4) WE SHOULD NOT HAVE FUMBLED THE BALL!!!!!!!!!!

I'll finish it from here Ike.... and the most important thing... you guys should have not lost the field position battle!!!!

85Sooner
10/7/2006, 06:43 PM
I could agree a bit but our secondary looks like a slow bunch of girls. arms flailing and all.

josh09
10/7/2006, 06:43 PM

4) WE SHOULD NOT HAVE FUMBLED THE BALL!!!!!!!!!!!11

The Texas Defense was physically beating our guys up. I dont know how many times I saw earpads or helmets getting knocked off. The Offense played with no intensity and got manhandled, plain and simple.

TEXAS ONLY RUSHED 4 GUYS!!!! THE O has NO EXCUSE!!!!!! I saw Texas blitz maybe twice in this game. I thought PT did well, the O-Line and the play calling stunk.

Great Job Defense...you played well enough to win, too bad the O didnt show up.

That is all,.:mad:

well said sir

DrZaius
10/7/2006, 06:46 PM
Again it looked like we were only playin 9 guys on defense....

Other than that they looked ok

josh09
10/7/2006, 06:47 PM
oh wow i need to change my sig

josh09
10/7/2006, 06:49 PM
there we go

DrZaius
10/7/2006, 06:58 PM
I thought the defense did well today. considering the short fields they had to defend today.

oufan199
10/7/2006, 07:01 PM
What I never thought would happen to a Stoops team has happened: playing like a Mack Brown team three years ago. Afterward, everybody's bringing out all the ifs and buts when the bottom line is we just weren't tough enough to win. We weren't tough enough against K-State, LSU, Southern Cal or Oregon, either. Instead we blame the refs, weather, biorhythms, whatever. We're playing the same excuses game Texas fans were playing for five years. It's time for Stoopsy to "man up" like Brown did and start recruiting better players and start coaching better, and try to resurrect that "you can't beat me" mojo he brought with him here in 1999. I guarantee you, there's not a game left on our schedule we can't lose, if we don't get our act together.

Rogue
10/7/2006, 07:06 PM
Defense was very pedestrian today. I mentioned earlier that the total yards stat is misleading. Texas ran the draw up the middle of our D easily. Our DTs got pushed around alot today and a freshman QB was very comfortable in the pocket all day. I'm not laying this loss entirely at the feet of the D, but they have their fair share of blame to accept.

Texas manhandled us for the whole 2nd half on both sides of the ball.

soonerhubs
10/7/2006, 07:06 PM
Never mind, that didn't work. The Defense is making progress, but I'm impatient. I'm sorry.

Landthief 1972
10/7/2006, 08:04 PM
The difference was obvious to me: Texas' D plays with the intensity and tackling that OU used to have. Nearly all of our tackles were arm tackels or wrestle-down tackles - Texas was laying some heavy-duty lumber when they hit. They were physical, we played tenative.

God love PT, but how many deep balls did he over/under throw? Makes me sick.

Tear Down This Wall
10/7/2006, 08:07 PM

No, no, no, no, no! Move D.J. back to tailback where he belongs.

Play Marcus Walker and Reggie Smith at corner. Their backup should be Lendy Holmes.

Seriously, the dog and pony show in the secondary is, at two season old, getting very old. Very old.

Cam
10/7/2006, 08:09 PM
What I never thought would happen to a Stoops team has happened: playing like a Mack Brown team three years ago.
What's sad is that's exaclty what I was thinking midway thru the 3rd quarter. :(

Tear Down This Wall
10/7/2006, 08:09 PM
What I never thought would happen to a Stoops team has happened: playing like a Mack Brown team three years ago. Afterward, everybody's bringing out all the ifs and buts when the bottom line is we just weren't tough enough to win. We weren't tough enough against K-State, LSU, Southern Cal or Oregon, either. Instead we blame the refs, weather, biorhythms, whatever. We're playing the same excuses game Texas fans were playing for five years. It's time for Stoopsy to "man up" like Brown did and start recruiting better players and start coaching better, and try to resurrect that "you can't beat me" mojo he brought with him here in 1999. I guarantee you, there's not a game left on our schedule we can't lose, if we don't get our act together.

Another candidate for Post of the Year.

MissouriSooner
10/7/2006, 08:11 PM
Defense was very pedestrian today. I mentioned earlier that the total yards stat is misleading. Texas ran the draw up the middle of our D easily. Our DTs got pushed around alot today and a freshman QB was very comfortable in the pocket all day. I'm not laying this loss entirely at the feet of the D, but they have their fair share of blame to accept.

Texas manhandled us for the whole 2nd half on both sides of the ball.

Amen. Any similiarity between the defense we have now and the ones we had when Mike was DC is purely accidental. As a group, they can't pressure the QB, blitz effectively, cover my sister on a pass route or tackle with authority. Other than that, they're doing great...

birddog
10/7/2006, 08:16 PM
No, no, no, no, no! Move D.J. back to tailback where he belongs.

Play Marcus Walker and Reggie Smith at corner. Their backup should be Lendy Holmes.

Seriously, the dog and pony show in the secondary is, at two season old, getting very old. Very old.
you think there's any chance of them swallowing their pride and moving him(dj) back to rb?
i agree we should stick with walker and reggie at the corners.

Tear Down This Wall
10/7/2006, 08:23 PM
Birddog...

No, I don't think there's any chance. Nor will they admit that the "tough" offensive linemen that withstand Jerry Schmidt "rigorous" workouts are not all that tough after all come game time.

The corners are Smith, Walker and Holmes. They do Wolfe a disservice by continually sending him out there to play a position he doesn't know. He's got talent on the other side of the ball and deserves better.

birddog
10/7/2006, 08:26 PM
he definitely deserves better. i feel sorry for the guy when he gets beat because you can see he doesn't belong there.
it's easy to see how far we've fallen when we have to resort to that.

1991SOONER
10/7/2006, 08:36 PM
Ask yourself this guys.....this game is ALL ABOUT momentum. I was not impressed with UTs offense. The ONLY reason they were able to execute was because of our p i s s poor defense. And when the momentum shifts, its shifts. And lets face it, we don't really have the balanced offense that we'd like to have. Adrian Peterson is still awsome, and PT has done a good job, but they cannot win the game alone. We had UTs offense shut down the first half. What happened during the break??? I'll tell you what happened, lack of leadership on the defensive side.

If its not crystal clear by now, I don't know when it will be. And I don't have to name names, but if there are not some major changes soon, we better get used to losing big games like this for awhile...

That is all..

Tear Down This Wall
10/7/2006, 08:37 PM
What's most perplexing is that we have fallen to this - two seasons in a row!

I mean, think about it. From 2000-2004 we won three conference titles, played for the national titles and won one. We've had highly rated recruiting classes but in all of those year couldn't recruit any corners?

Especially when Stoops' reputation as an assistant had been as a great secondary guy. It doesn't make any sense. Although, the fruit of it are here for all to see...unfortunately.

T_Boner
10/7/2006, 08:43 PM
they (the defense) played decent, well enough to win, but they surely didn't play "GREAT"...OU's offense really f'd the defense w/ TOs and field posission, and UT finally decided to quit playing so conservative on offense at half time

eagleron49
10/7/2006, 08:51 PM
Defense did a lot better but they don't have the intensaty they had when Mike Stoops was around and got in there face. The offensive lineman need to get a hell of a lot tougher.

sooneron
10/7/2006, 08:59 PM
I would put this loss on the offense first, then, the D for not rising up when necessary. They had a LOT of short field situations. texass had less than 250 yards fercryinoutloud!

MissouriSooner
10/7/2006, 09:04 PM
I would put this loss on the offense first, then, the D for not rising up when necessary. They had a LOT of short field situations. texass had less than 250 yards fercryinoutloud!

Don't know about you, but I'll trade statistics for wins any day. We could have held them to zero yards rushing, and the two busted pass defense plays would have been enough to beat us 14-10.

SanMarcosCASooner
10/7/2006, 09:35 PM
GOODBYE BRENT VENABLES.

tulsaoilerfan
10/7/2006, 09:54 PM
I don't care about TO's or short fields; it's up to the defense to nut up and stop the other team no matter where they get the damn ball; the defenses of 00-03 would do it all the time(other than a couple of notable exceptions against the Ags) by either creating a TO or a 3 and out; our defense the last 2 seasons doesn't create TO's, nor do they stop teams when they get good field position, and those 2 things are why we are a mediocre team now.

arlington
10/7/2006, 10:14 PM
Why all the sympathy for DJ? Hes not being forced into the game, is he? Hes had some 18 games at corner and he still doesnt compensate for average speed with good fundamentals nor smarts..Its simple, when our D tips off the max blitz too early and the QB checks off, it is GOING to be a go route..Anyone who has watched more than 10 games in there lifetime can see that and my 13 year old called that out today from our couch..DJ should have loosened up and gone to bail technique and he probably would have had a ball thrown into his chest..If not bail technique, then you HAVE TO jam your receiver to mess up the timing..Sweed had to stretch to catch that one so any break in timing could have been an incompletion and at least grab him if youre getting beat but you just cant give up a long score..We have 8 O-linemen in our 2 deep that were playing in only there 5th game, they deserve sympathy if youre handing it out.Not a guy who has 18 games starting experience..

sooneron
10/7/2006, 10:26 PM
Don't know about you, but I'll trade statistics for wins any day. We could have held them to zero yards rushing, and the two busted pass defense plays would have been enough to beat us 14-10.
Like I said, they didn't rise to the occaision. I think it's sad that Dj is out there when I believe we would have been better off with Marcus and Reggie on the corners with Nic and Williams at the safety position. It's sad when our 5 th best* db is a converted rb.

Since everyone is on M Stoops' jock so much, name the M Stoops recruited dbs that are on this team.

You want to talk about leadership? look there.

sooneron
10/7/2006, 11:03 PM
Weird, none of the the Mikey pumpers have anything to say???

MiccoMacey
10/7/2006, 11:07 PM
We could have held them to zero yards rushing, and the two busted pass defense plays would have been enough to beat us 14-10.

So why aren't you on Wilson's case for only scoring ten points?

Switzer-lander
10/8/2006, 01:07 AM
Defense played better than they had earlier this season of course, and there were some excellent stops, but there were two things in this game that I hadn't seen from a Sooner defense in a long time:

1. All the big hits were by Texass. Aside from CJ's hit on McCoy after the TD, which really wasn't all that big, I don't remember a single hit that makes you say "oh jeez . . . "

2. Quarterback sneaks straight up the middle on very short yardage pushed our front guys back five yards every time. A yard or two, fine, that's what usually happens, but five?

There were several times when the first defender was able to make a solo tackle on the ball carrier, but there were still too many first- and second-misses.

I don't know why -- players, coaching, schemes, etc. -- but our guys just didn't seem to be punishing anyone with monster hits.

But they played well and probably well enough to win had the offense done the same by eliminating half the penalties and half the turnovers.