PDA

View Full Version : Uh, can't believe I'm gonna say this...

boomersooner28
10/7/2006, 06:33 PM
BUT, OUr coaching philosophies have GOT to change. I thought it was CL, but damn, I can call everyone of our offensive plays just from watching it on TV. We do nothing special. We are still very predictable. OUr defense puts no pressure on the offense.

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

We haven't done shiat since Mike and Mangino left...ok, I'm over-reacting but still, we are OKLAHOMA, and I have that right damn't!!!! :mad:

SOONER44EVER
10/7/2006, 06:35 PM
By the time PT runs backwards 8 yards to give the ball to AD the whole D-line is in the backfield. Why are we the only team that does this?

boomersooner28
10/7/2006, 06:37 PM
By the time PT runs backwards 8 yards to give the ball to AD the whole D-line is in the backfield. Why are we the only team that does this?

We are trying to prove how good AD is......I guess? :confused:

SOONER44EVER
10/7/2006, 06:38 PM
We are trying to prove how good AD is......I guess? :confused:
Heh!

VMG
10/7/2006, 07:20 PM
Actually, I thought we were fairly creative on offense the first half. 2d half was a different matter...AD left, AD right, 3rd and long. PT made a couple nice completions, but we shouldn't expect to make a living on offense having to pull it out of the fire every time on 3rd and long.

Penalties hurt us, but overall I've got no issues with the effort. Sheesh, we held a good offense to less than 100 yards for the half. If AD doesn't trip over PT on 3rd and short going in, we're up by 7 at the half. Even at 21-10, if Juaquin doesn't fumble we've got a chance to stay in the game. We weren't playing MTSU... Texas has good players too -- Juaquin's fumble was the result of a nice hit by the DB. Losing sucks, but stuff happens...

Tear Down This Wall
10/7/2006, 07:25 PM
Of course, starting out 1st and 15 makes playcalling more difficult than starting out 1st and 10. I'm just sayin'...

Also, I wonder why Bob doesn't just let Schmidt coach the offensive line. I mean, he lets him run offensive linemen off. Surely, then, Schmidt must know something about them. After all, we're stuck with the only ones who can get through his "rigorous" workout program. These are the guys who aren't "p*ssies", right? And, gee, aren't we better off for it? I mean talent-wise and depth-wise? Brilliant.

oumartin
10/7/2006, 07:25 PM
Look, the hiring of close personal friends and stuff has gotta stop. he only needs to bring his bro back and then go find some good coaches.. I personally think Bob is gone after the year so we might need to start thinking of Rich Rodriguez or Petrino or someone like that..

AzianSooner
10/7/2006, 07:26 PM
I think we need a meaner tougher players in OUr team. They one who could see other team like nothing.

delhalew
10/7/2006, 07:27 PM
receivers have to fight to the death for the completion. Linemen have stay put till told. Your D has to act like rabid dogs for more than one quarter.

Urgghh.

kc sooner
10/7/2006, 07:36 PM
I just wanna know what happened to our aggresive D? All we do now is 4-3 plain defense 95% of the time and we can't stop the run anymore. Get some guys up in the box when they are running all over us. We used to come out disguising blitzes and doing different things, and now we never change the d even when it's not working. On offense, we will run a play(like the counter play AD run for a touch) that works good and never do it the rest of the game. The offense and defense are boring to watch and very predictable. I am getting tired of it.

ELP Sooner
10/7/2006, 07:38 PM
Get a grip Sooner Fans. Texas had the better team and they won. Our team showed guts. When we were down 7-0...we got backed up via penalty and ended up punting...and UT began first and 10 at OUR 45. I thought we were in real trouble. The team nutted up....got them to go 3 and out and punt. Then the O drove it the length of the field for a TD. We took control of the game to the half. I was so proud of the team and the coaches!

Yeah the 2nd half sucked Bevo balls...no doubt. The fumble was a real killer, but I cant blame the kid....he was hit hard and the ball came out....it was a hell of a catch and would have put us in 1st and 10 in the red zone. It was a real nail in the coffin and yet our men on D didnt let Texas stuff it in...we forced a punt! This team is blue collar and I love that! They didnt QUIT when things didnt go their way. Overall, the coaches called a great game and had the team ready to play in my opinion. We just dont have the horses to win at the elite level right now. Barry Switzer has said the series runs in streaks...things are all going UT's way at the moment....just like it was for us just a few years ago. If we had won the Orange Bowl a few years ago the pain of rebuilding wouldnt be as acute...hell if UT had not won a MNC last year the pain would not be as acute. The kids played their ASSES off the coaches called a good game and we lost. More games left in the season and I might be the only one on the board, but I'm proud of how the kids played....they gave it all they had and came up short. The coaches tried to run a balanced offense and did that until the score and time didnt allow for it. The defense was great....we took away the run and made them beat us with the pass which was obviously the way to go.

Ok back to gloom and doom.

tbl
10/7/2006, 08:08 PM
I disagree that they had a better team. In my opinion, we were flat out outcoached. When you're up 10-7 at the half and have good mementum going into the locker room (offense and defense), then you come out and play the second half like that, it all comes down to adjustments taken at the half by the respective coaching staffs.... and saxeT clearly made better adjustments.

I really don't know what to say....

booomer
10/7/2006, 08:26 PM
Actually, I thought we were fairly creative on offense the first half. 2d half was a different matter...AD left, AD right, 3rd and long.

I agree.

There was something about the first series play calls during the 2nd half that took the wind out of our sails.

Geekboy
10/7/2006, 08:27 PM
I'm starting to think maybe Mike Stoops should be offered a couple of dollars less than Bob to come back!

MissouriSooner
10/7/2006, 08:30 PM
I just wanna know what happened to our aggresive D? All we do now is 4-3 plain defense 95% of the time and we can't stop the run anymore.

You don't really wonder what happens when we try to stop the run or when we blitz, do you? Does Limus Sweed on DJ Wolfe ring a bell??

SOONER_N_TEXAS
10/7/2006, 08:34 PM
I am new to theses fourms but not new to the game. We lost...... thats it. If we wannna put blame put it in the wtf box. That box means nothing. Sorry to the boys, and sorry for loosin the shoot out "this year". We are fans, thats it just fans , they are the ones sweating it out on the firled to make a play. Dont blame the staff or for that matter the players, if any game they are gonna play there butts of it the OU texas game. Just keep your heads up and look forward to next week..... The horns will get what they got commin'.

Scott D
10/7/2006, 08:34 PM
this thread makes me laugh.

delhalew
10/7/2006, 08:37 PM
I say blame the staff when a talented team habitually underperforms. Blame every last one of them.

afs
10/7/2006, 08:44 PM
i think we should lift more weights

Tear Down This Wall
10/7/2006, 08:47 PM
i think we should lift more weights

So does Schmidt.

Jackal
10/7/2006, 08:51 PM
You may not want to hear this, but OU was its' worst enemy. Eleven penalties for 75 yards, critical turnovers, and a predictable offense by leaning to hard on AD.

D.J. Wolfe giving up another back breaking touchdown, even tho the guy did push off but as you all know, OU can't get a call. Stats wise OU was the better team so it leaves coaching. I don't know what the problem is, but the coaching staff is not preparing our players mentally and certainly not instilling the discipline required to be successful.

SanMarcosCASooner
10/7/2006, 09:37 PM
I think our players took VALIUM at halftime. It was like night and day. They didn't only "win" the game, they beat our asses in the second half.

tulsaoilerfan
10/7/2006, 09:58 PM
we looked dead in the second half; no enthusiasm or fire; what the hell is wrong with these guys? Most of us would KILL to be playing football at OU, but a bunch of the guys looked like they were going through the motions in the second half

Cr@zySooner
10/7/2006, 11:06 PM
I have to agree, I was at the game and i could feel the energy in the first half. You could tell OU wanted to win that game. But at half time, when OU come out onto the field, not one of those players seemed motivated. There was no energy at all, from the players or the fans. It seemed like the players were unmotivated at half time. Sorry to say it, but I feel that we need to get a new defensive coordinator. BV is not living up to what OU defense should be like.

Soonerus
10/7/2006, 11:09 PM
I am f'ing ****ed, I think we have a better team than Texsa...

Scott D
10/7/2006, 11:10 PM
I have to agree, I was at the game and i could feel the energy in the first half. You could tell OU wanted to win that game. But at half time, when OU come out onto the field, not one of those players seemed motivated. There was no energy at all, from the players or the fans. It seemed like the players were unmotivated at half time. Sorry to say it, but I feel that we need to get a new defensive coordinator. BV is not living up to what OU defense should be like.

this post makes no sense for two reasons.

1. we got the ball to start the half
2. we got the ball to start the half

both of those make blaming the defensive coordinator for the entire team looking 'unmotivated' to start the second half, when we got the ball irrelevant.

Soonerus
10/7/2006, 11:13 PM

That's total bull****, I was at the game and we had plenty of intensity...

SoonerLB
10/7/2006, 11:37 PM
BUT, OUr coaching philosophies have GOT to change. I thought it was CL, but damn, I can call everyone of our offensive plays just from watching it on TV. We do nothing special. We are still very predictable. OUr defense puts no pressure on the offense.

We haven't done shiat since Mike and Mangino left...ok, I'm over-reacting but still, we are OKLAHOMA, and I have that right damn't!!!! :mad:

I agree with you on the play calling, our formations almost dictate what the play will be at times. I don't know how many times I said "did CL call that play?" during the game, but it was too many.
I don't think it is any secret that AD cannot win every game by himself, nor is it any secret every defense we face is keying on him and making no bones about the fact. There just seems to be no creativity or pizazz in our offense, just predictability. And I had hoped all that would go west with Chuck. And I wish the ****** sideways passing would have gone with him too!

GottaHavePride
10/8/2006, 12:12 AM
That's total bull****, I was at the game and we had plenty of intensity...

Really? I didn't see it, and I was there too. I thought that after Texas scored to start the second half we looked like a team that gave up. But that's just me. The game felt like 1999 OU/UT all over again. Got up to a decent lead in the first half, came out and didn't have anything left in the tank during the second half.

Echoes
10/8/2006, 02:38 AM
I disagree that they had a better team. In my opinion, we were flat out outcoached. When you're up 10-7 at the half and have good mementum going into the locker room (offense and defense), then you come out and play the second half like that, it all comes down to adjustments taken at the half by the respective coaching staffs.... and saxeT clearly made better adjustments.

I really don't know what to say....

Very true. Very very true.

SelmaBamaFan
10/8/2006, 04:01 AM

Nah, you arent the only ones that do this.

Blitzkrieg
10/8/2006, 08:26 AM
I'm starting to think maybe Mike Stoops should be offered a couple of dollars less than Bob to come back!

Yeah, he's made Zona so awesome.

It's about players. We had a gap class that can happen to any program, and does happen to every program. We lack senior leadership, just like last year. I thought we'd have more this year, but the penalties, the mistakes, they have to stop.

At some point, the players have to execute better. Until they do, we're an average team.

Tailgate
10/8/2006, 08:51 AM
The better team won.

Since71ASooner4Life
10/8/2006, 09:15 AM
You rookies banging the coaching, especially offensive play selection is really funny. Bob Stoops has shown balls of steel over the years with the various high risk / gadget plays that have been run. Has he suddenly forgot what he knew would work in years past? Does it ever occur to you that play selection has anything to do with your evaluation of your own team's strengths & weaknesses, along with that of the other team? Might a coaching staff who knows each and every one of these kids strengths & weaknesses up close and personal have some idea of where the team's best chances for success lie? Think about it for a while.

nytehorn
10/8/2006, 05:48 PM
This is no flame at all, but a good firm handshake for a tough fought game. Many of you guys are blaming the playcalling, intensity, etc. on this loss. Damn, OU played FANTASTIC! Think about it. Your defense was giving up almost 500 yards a game, against poor teams. You were playing a team with argueably the best offensive line in the nation. Yet, somehow, your D rose to the occasion, and played their pants off, limiting us to 232 yards!! On the other side, your offensive line is supposed to be one of the most inexperienced in the nation. Yet, here again, they blocked great enough to allow AD over 100 yards, and give PT enough time to throw on almost every play, against a top 10 defense!! As of right now, Texas just has more talent across the board. Going into this game, I thought we would win about 41-10, just because of the offensive lines we each have, and your defense had been playing so poorly. You say you were outcoached because after halftime they came out flat? Nope. They were just getting exhausted because they were playing over their heads against better talent. If you can't see how great your team played, and applaud them, you need to take off those crimson glasses. My prediction is that OU will not lose again, and STOMP THE **** out of anyone the Pac 10 sends as a sacrifice in the Holiday bowl.

GottaHavePride
10/8/2006, 05:59 PM
This is no flame at all, but a good firm handshake for a tough fought game. Many of you guys are blaming the playcalling, intensity, etc. on this loss. Damn, OU played FANTASTIC!

Look, I know you're trying to be a classy fan and all, but people over here aren't going to buy it right now. We had too many penalties and turnovers for us to be happy, and if that's not enough, our total lack of offensive production in the second half has everyone ****ed off. Nobody here will ever be content with losing a game, ESPECIALLY not one that we were clearly capable of winning (as evidence, double-check the score at halftime) and managed to **** away with bad play in the second half.

And I don't think many people will buy that you guys have way better talent than we do - we've got the talent, the team just isn't using the talent they have. Your "hey, you guys put up a good fight against a way better team" bit comes across as very patronizing right now.

sanantoniosooner
10/8/2006, 06:07 PM
I remember this time that Trent Smith was kicking the crap out of KSU singlehandedly and we kept going to the well.

Apparently we immediately gave up on Joe John as soon as we saw it would work. I can't understand why we didn't work him more.

FaninAma
10/8/2006, 06:11 PM
This is no flame at all, but a good firm handshake for a tough fought game. Many of you guys are blaming the playcalling, intensity, etc. on this loss. Damn, OU played FANTASTIC! Think about it. Your defense was giving up almost 500 yards a game, against poor teams. You were playing a team with argueably the best offensive line in the nation. Yet, somehow, your D rose to the occasion, and played their pants off, limiting us to 232 yards!! On the other side, your offensive line is supposed to be one of the most inexperienced in the nation. Yet, here again, they blocked great enough to allow AD over 100 yards, and give PT enough time to throw on almost every play, against a top 10 defense!! As of right now, Texas just has more talent across the board. Going into this game, I thought we would win about 41-10, just because of the offensive lines we each have, and your defense had been playing so poorly. You say you were outcoached because after halftime they came out flat? Nope. They were just getting exhausted because they were playing over their heads against better talent. If you can't see how great your team played, and applaud them, you need to take off those crimson glasses. My prediction is that OU will not lose again, and STOMP THE **** out of anyone the Pac 10 sends as a sacrifice in the Holiday bowl.

Texas has more experience with equal talent, not more. The experience was the difference.

OU shot themselves in the foot multiple times. The motion penalties were stupid and unnecessary.

OU should have more experienced players on the Offensive and defensive lines but we don't.

Colt better quit zeroing in on his primary receiver or he's going to cost the horns a game they don't expect to lose.

Pepper
10/8/2006, 06:14 PM
I disagree. I thought the play calling was good. We gained over 300 yards against a very good defense. We dominated every statistical category except turnovers and penalties. I don't see how either one of those are the fault of the offensive play calling.

nytehorn
10/8/2006, 06:26 PM
GHP, you are one of the ones I'm talking about. If you can't see you have inferior talent on the offensive line, you have on the glasses. I was not patronizing, but giving credit where credit is earned. Your team EARNED the applause I am giving, and I am disappointed in our own, for not blowing OU off the LOS every play. But, what can I say, it was a crazy weekend. Just look at Auburn and Georgia!

sanantoniosooner
10/8/2006, 06:29 PM
I disagree. I thought the play calling was good. We gained over 300 yards against a very good defense. We dominated every statistical category except turnovers and penalties. I don't see how either one of those are the fault of the offensive play calling.
Just because one play is semi-successful, doesn't mean that another wouldn't have been even more successfull.

A great tightend is a security blanket for a QB and we underutilize what appears to be a very good tightend.

sanantoniosooner
10/8/2006, 06:31 PM
GHP, you are one of the ones I'm talking about. If you can't see you have inferior talent on the offensive line, you have on the glasses. I was not patronizing, but giving credit where credit is earned. Your team EARNED the applause I am giving, and I am disappointed in our own, for not blowing OU off the LOS every play. But, what can I say, it was a crazy weekend. Just look at Auburn and Georgia!
UT has impressed me more in losses to OU than they did in this win.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/8/2006, 06:33 PM
BLAME CANADA!

nytehorn
10/8/2006, 06:37 PM
Exactly SAS. We were held WAY below what our season averages will be.

GottaHavePride
10/8/2006, 06:43 PM
GHP, you are one of the ones I'm talking about. If you can't see you have inferior talent on the offensive line, you have on the glasses.

Heh. I'll freely admit that our O (and D) lines aren't as good as yours, but I don't buy that your talent is better across the board. I think your players have more experience, played with more discipline, and came out looking to knock someone's head off. Sadly, the discipline and attitude are the big things we have lacking right now.

Pepper
10/8/2006, 06:48 PM
The following things cost us more than offensive play calling (no particular order):
1) Leave DJ Wolfe in man to man coverage against Sweed
2) Refs not knowing rules (Forward pass called a fumble- even if it was perfectly lateral it is still a forward pass by rule- see Section 19 Article 2 on passing)
3) AD catches the 2nd kickoff of the 3rd quarter 1 yard from sideline. He should have let it go out of bounds. Cost us 25 yards.
4) Fumble by Iglesias.
5) Fumble by AD.
6) False starts.

nytehorn
10/8/2006, 06:51 PM
Well, we will lose the last 3 of the so called "best line in college football", so next year, we may be hoping Charles will bust tackles and carry the team.

rhombic21
10/8/2006, 06:59 PM
The playcalling was fine. We took some deep shots. We hit them with some play action. We ran the ball effectively at times and moved the chains on third down.

Turnovers and penalties are what killed us. We caught them offguard several times. You're always going to be a little predictable when you have a horse like AD - and you probably should be. Don't try and out-think yourself. You can't line up and run trick plays all game. At some point you need to be able to go out and dominate somebody physically.

Defensively, I would agree that our schemes need to be looked at. When you have a converted HB lined up against Limas Sweed, who is probably the best WR in the conference, and you haven't gotten pressure all game, it's probably not a great idea to come with an all out blitz with no safety help. Maybe if you have Reggie Smith or Marcus Walker matched up there, I could see taking a shot. But calling that play with DJ Wolfe out there makes no sense. At the very least, they should have pulled DJ off the line to give Sweed a cushion. Seems like our defense rarely confuses people anymore in general. Maybe it's a lack of athleticism or team speed, but it seems like we consistently make other teams' offense, particularly in the passing game, look good. It strikes me that part of it might be that we expect our corners to play like Derrick Strait and Andre Woolfolk, regardless of whether thay are that good or not.

Pepper
10/8/2006, 07:15 PM
Defensively, I would agree that our schemes need to be looked at. When you have a converted HB lined up against Limas Sweed, who is probably the best WR in the conference, and you haven't gotten pressure all game, it's probably not a great idea to come with an all out blitz with no safety help. Maybe if you have Reggie Smith or Marcus Walker matched up there, I could see taking a shot. But calling that play with DJ Wolfe out there makes no sense. At the very least, they should have pulled DJ off the line to give Sweed a cushion. Seems like our defense rarely confuses people anymore in general. Maybe it's a lack of athleticism or team speed, but it seems like we consistently make other teams' offense, particularly in the passing game, look good. It strikes me that part of it might be that we expect our corners to play like Derrick Strait and Andre Woolfolk, regardless of whether thay are that good or not.

Did you notice later in the game they were bringing DJ on the blitz and leaving Reggie in coverage?

Jdog
10/8/2006, 07:43 PM
In 2000 our defensive philosophy changed when we got behind against Kansas. The change occurred when M. Stoops came down from the press box and verbally had it out with Venables. From then on M Stoops was on the sidelines and we knew who was in charge - and things changed --------and we won a national championship.

Since then, we lost M. Stoop - We lost a big 12 championship, and 2 National Championships (one of which was the worst lose in Oklahoma history). We haven't been the same since.

In 06 we have quality players but the wrong coach’s – the discipline is gone, the knowledge is gone, we whine about calls and we’ve lost the magic. It’s embarrassing!
Bottom-line - B.V. needs help and we need offensive coaches who come from more successful programs.

Pepper
10/8/2006, 07:51 PM
OMG the sky is falling too!

MamaMia
10/8/2006, 08:25 PM
Our plays are very predictable, and that is not the sign of a good coaching staff.

Pepper
10/8/2006, 09:18 PM
We averaged 5.3 yards per play against a good defense. 50% on 3rd down conversions. Both those stats are very good. How many yards per play should we be getting?

Egeo
10/8/2006, 09:44 PM
We averaged 5.3 yards per play against a good defense. 50% on 3rd down conversions. Both those stats are very good. How many yards per play should we be getting?
everybody thinks that they could do better - its sickening

Jdog
10/8/2006, 09:53 PM

Last time I looked, you win by having more points on the board, not by how many yards you get.
If you got the stats then tell me how we doing in the red zone - whats our ratio to touchdowns, field goals, and not scoring. It ain't that good - especially against Washington, Oregon, and Texas.

rhombic21
10/8/2006, 09:56 PM
The offense played very well when we weren't turning the ball over or committing stupid penalties. We took a number of deep shots, and PT missed several of them, but they were open. I don't know how you question the playcalling on offense.

Defensively it seemed like we didn't mix our blitzes up very well, but some of that may have just been poor execution or them having a great OL. We did hold them to about 100 yards passing, so obviously we did some things right with our schemes.

Statalyzer
10/8/2006, 09:56 PM
eternal pimp - haiku is 5-7-5, not 5-7-6

I thought it was CL, but damn, I can call everyone of our offensive plays just from watching it on TV.

That isn't a bad thing when you do other things right.

In 2002, I could call most of your 2nd half offensive plays just from watching it on TV. I'd call "It's obvious OU is going to run a draw to Quentin Griffin" before it happened, and sure enough, he'd get the ball on the draw play and go for like 15 yards.

rhombic21
10/8/2006, 09:59 PM
Last time I looked, you win by having more points on the board, not by how many yards you get.
If you got the stats then tell me how we doing in the red zone - whats our ratio to touchdowns, field goals, and not scoring. It ain't that good - especially against Washington, Oregon, and Texas.
You can't blame the playcalling for that though. We fumbled the ball one time when we got down there, and we had another time when PT and AD's feet got tangled. Penalties, turnovers, and poor execution are what hurt us on offense, not bad playcalling. We mixed our playcalling up very well and hit them with a number of PA passes that created big play opportunities.

Jdog
10/8/2006, 10:20 PM
You can't blame the playcalling for that though. We fumbled the ball one time when we got down there, and we had another time when PT and AD's feet got tangled. Penalties, turnovers, and poor execution are what hurt us on offense, not bad playcalling. We mixed our playcalling up very well and hit them with a number of PA passes that created big play opportunities.

My post had nothing to do with playcalling. it was about how often do we score touchdowns when we get inside the red zone -- and that yardage isn't how we keep score.

I'm still bitter that we got the ball down inside the 2 twice against Oregon and in 8 plays with the "best running back in the country" could score Touchdowns.

I saw the same kind of mistakes on Saturday.

footballfanatic
10/8/2006, 10:21 PM
Texas has really huge depth right now, and substituted freely throughout the game, just as they have been doing in every game. It gives players experience, and more importantly, keeps people fresh, while wearing down opposition, which usually has inferior depth (OSU being the obvious exception--they substituted freely). Because I'm not familiar with the OU lineup, I don't know if you were subbing throughout the game. Were you? If you weren't, that would explain why the lines wore down.

BIG_IKE
10/8/2006, 10:22 PM
If anyone thinks that we have equal talent to what UT has had for the last 3 or 4 years, they are delusional...

We beat these guys 5 times in a row because we physically beat them and mentally intimidated them. We were hard and they were soft. PERIOD.

Everyone wants to blame the coaches, blame this and blame that...but the bottom line is UT has come out there 2 years in a row and physically beat us up. I have watched the game 3 times so far, and I have never ever seen a Sooner team get physically pushed around like that. From both lines too...and I dont even wanna talk about the highlight reel hits their secondary was laying on anyone with a Crimson jersey on. That was ridiculous.

We are the abusers, and we have let ourselves become the abused.
This game was won on physical contact and mental toughness. The team who has this, regardless of the coaching and regardless of the talent has ALWAYS won.

footballfanatic
10/8/2006, 10:26 PM
For me, the play that told it all was McCoy's Qb sneak in the 3rd quarter. It went straight up the middle for 6 yards. That tells you that the line was getting a real push against your interior line.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/8/2006, 10:35 PM
Hee hee. . .

http://www.soonerfans.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/006184.html

http://www.soonerfans.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/003621.html

Tear Down This Wall
10/9/2006, 10:04 AM
Heh. I'll freely admit that our O (and D) lines aren't as good as yours, but I don't buy that your talent is better across the board...

Yeah, sure...Chris Messner, Steven Coleman, Corey Bennett, and Carl Pendleton are every bit as good as what Texas has...or not!

Anyone have any clue as to what Gerald McCoy and DeMarcus Granger could possibly be gaining by having to stand on the sidelines watching Coleman, Bennett, and Pendleton get crushed game after game? I mean, maybe the coaches just want to let them stand around a see how not to play DT. I can think of no other reason.

OUmillenium
10/9/2006, 11:21 AM

I 2nd that loudly! Where is the QB run game?! Mind boggling...

rhombic21
10/9/2006, 11:35 AM
After reviewing the game, we didn't get outcoached. We got out-executed.

We had 332 yards of total offense. We held them to 232. I just don't get how you look at that and say that the playcalling was horrible or that the defense sucked.

The defense really only gave up 21 points, and Texas had amazing field position all game.

The offense shot themselves in the foot with 5 turnovers (including 2 that came in Texas territory), and 11 penalties (many of which put us in long yardage. We converted 50% of our 3rd downs, they converted 30% of theirs. We held them to 7 three and outs, and our offense only had one three and out all game. We had 5 drives of 40 yards or more (and it would have been 6 if not for a horrific pass interference call on our TE), they had 3.

The bottom line is that if we protect the football (and give them credit for forcing turnovers) and execute a little better, we could have won the game. The fault for this loss is on the players (many of whom are young), who just didn't make some plays when they were called upon, not the coaches.

Our schemes were solid, with the possible exception of the TD pass to Sweed. On Texas' first drive, Nic Harris comes unblocked and has a shot to sack McCoy and force a punt, but he takes a bad angle and McCoy completes a pass for a first down. You can't blame the coaching staff for that - it's just bad execution. On Texas' second TD drive, Nic Harris had another chance to make a play on a near interception, and just didn't break on the ball well, and then Texas hits Sweed for a long TD. On Texas' third TD drive, we force a third and goal from the 7 yard line, and Nic Harris gets caught looking in the backfield on a perfectly thrown ball to Shipley. Great play by them, but that's not a problem with the scheme. Harris was in position to make a play, and the corner was supposed to fall off and give him help outside and didn't.

Offensively, PT had at least 2 deep balls where Malcom Kelly is open, and he can't make the throw. He has another where Jermaine Gresham gets behind everybody and he barely misses that throw. We have another play where Peterson is going to pick up a first down and give us a shot at going up by 7, but his feet get tangled up with PTs, and we have to settle for a FG. We fumble the ball away twice, including one time where we're going to have first and 10 inside the 25 with a chance to make it a one possession game. The offensive schemes put our guys in position to make plays, and they just came up short. Don't blame that on the playcalling or the schemes.

Texas executed better than we did, and didn't hurt themselves.

Scott D
10/9/2006, 12:43 PM
Yeah, sure...Chris Messner, Steven Coleman, Corey Bennett, and Carl Pendleton are every bit as good as what Texas has...or not!

Anyone have any clue as to what Gerald McCoy and DeMarcus Granger could possibly be gaining by having to stand on the sidelines watching Coleman, Bennett, and Pendleton get crushed game after game? I mean, maybe the coaches just want to let them stand around a see how not to play DT. I can think of no other reason.

be fair, Granger did get called for one of the 11 penalties we had.

The Maestro
10/9/2006, 12:56 PM
I don't mind predictive play calling if it's AD. First two possessions, for instance.

First play of the game--AD for 6 yards. 2nd and 4. Run him again. Nope. Attempted swing pass batted down and we end up punting.

Second possession--first play...AD for 5 yards. Bore me with another AD run here on 2nd and 5. Nope. We ended up punting again. When AD gets five or six on first down, second down should automatically be him until they stop him.

Sooner_Bob
10/9/2006, 01:00 PM
this thread makes me laugh.

haha laugh?

or

hahahahahahaha laugh?

Scott D
10/9/2006, 01:01 PM
haha laugh?

or

hahahahahahaha laugh?

shaking my head at oblivious obviousness laugh :)

ELP Sooner
12/5/2006, 12:58 PM
Interesting.