Flagstaffsooner
10/7/2006, 05:40 PM
What offensive line?

jccouger
10/7/2006, 05:46 PM
We have a offensive line?

tulsaoilerfan
10/7/2006, 05:51 PM
Not much of one, obviously; why can't we recruit and KEEP decent linemen?

BoonesFarmSooner
10/7/2006, 05:57 PM
Yep, today was the result of all the attrition on the OL we've had for the past 4-5 years....

But still, how do they jump offsides that many times?

That absolutely kills drives!

BermudaSooner
10/7/2006, 05:59 PM
How can Limas Sweed push off with the ball in the air, yet Joe John can't shrug off a hold at the line well before the ball is in the air?

Since when can the ground cause a fumble?

Since when is a pass thrown from the 11.5 up to the 12.5 considered a lateral?

I don't have the answer to your question, or any of these.

soonercody
10/7/2006, 06:01 PM
Bermuda, as frustrating as the inconsistent pass interference penalties were, the fumble and lateral calls were fair.

The false starts and ****-poor defense are what killed us today.

BoonesFarmSooner
10/7/2006, 06:05 PM
Bermuda, as frustrating as the inconsistent pass interference penalties were, the fumble and lateral calls were fair.

DISAGREE, for a line judge to call a pass a lateral, it better be bigtime obvious. Guys on TV agreed that it should have been overturned. If PT was a lefty, then I would agree, but he threw from the the 11 yard line and AD touched it on the 12.

iknowyoudidnt
10/7/2006, 06:06 PM
The fact that they were getting shoved around all day probably didn't help their nerves much. :-(

I feel guilty for saying this, but I can't wait to see what AD can do behind a good line in the pros.

tulsaoilerfan
10/7/2006, 06:09 PM
we lost this game in the trenches; Texas pushed us around the whole second half; our Defensive Line was getting blown off the ball, and our Offensive Linemen were in the backfield most of the second half; pretty **** poor performance on both sides of the ball

GrapevineSooner
10/7/2006, 06:09 PM
DISAGREE, for a line judge to call a pass a lateral, it better be bigtime obvious. Guys on TV agreed that it should have been overturned. If PT was a lefty, then I would agree, but he threw from the the 11 yard line and AD touched it on the 12.

I don't have a problem with the original call on the field. It was close enough that if we didn't have a replay system, I'd be able to live with the call.

Problem is, replay clearly showed PT was behind the 12. And when it hit AD, he was at the 12. Replay should have corrected the incorrect call.

Jackal
10/7/2006, 06:11 PM
OU hasn't been the same since the USC lambasting, we are just barely a decent team. Maybe it's time for Stoops to move on, maybe we need better recruiting. We have problems for sure, and next year is gonna be worse without AD and no quarterback and a even poorer defense.

One shining light is D.J. Wolfe will graduate and we won't have to see the back of his jersey on other teams highlights.

BermudaSooner
10/7/2006, 06:15 PM
OU hasn't been the same since the USC lambasting, we are just barely a decent team. Maybe it's time for Stoops to move on, maybe we need better recruiting. We have problems for sure, and next year is gonna be worse without AD and no quarterback and a even poorer defense.

One shining light is D.J. Wolfe will graduate and we won't have to see the back of his jersey on other teams highlights.

Now that is just ridiculous. Go root for OSU.

Widescreen
10/7/2006, 06:22 PM
DJ is a junior. Take your player bashing elsewhere.

Tear Down This Wall
10/7/2006, 06:40 PM
This is the low point of the Stoops Era. The chickens have come home to roost re: letting the strength and conditioning coach run guys off, not hiring a real defensive backs coach, and not recruiting cornerbacks.

Up 10-7 at half, Adrian with 70+ yards, we come out in the second half and do nothing but pile up offensive line penalties, essentially taking AD out of the game. So many young guys out there due to attrition. This fall, we lost our first not to have a run in with Schmidt; instead, our sleeping compliance department didn't know J.D. Quinn was off breaking NCAA rules.

Sadly, there will some people who still contend that Bob Stoops is a genius for moving D.J. Wolfe to cornerback "because he did it with Andre Woolfolk." Documented time and time again, Woolfolk was a stud on both sides of the ball in high school; Wolfe was a stud tailback. You can't get blood from a turnip, folks. Wolfe is not a cornerback - even if you run him out there game after game in that position, he's not a cornerback.

Someone else who sin't a cornerback is safety Nic Harris. Harris is a solid young safety. However, since Stoops can't or won't sign enough real corners, we get Harris in the nickel - the position Antonio Perkins played to begin his career when real corners Derrick Strait and Andre Woolfolk were manning the corners.

I remember thinking after Wolfe surrended the TD, 'Surely, we didn't just blitz and leave Wolfe to play man to man.' But, we did. A series later, Harris the safety playing corner got burned for the TD that put the game out of reach.

Additionally, because our punter last year showed up at 6:15 a.m. a couple of times instead of 6, we are treated to two punters - neither of which have the ability to bury the ball inside the 10. These guys, when we're stopped between the 40s, can't even get it inside the 20. Brilliant. I hope Schmidt feels like a man for bullying kids off the team. I also hope Stoops is happy with the various results of letting him do so.

Next, Bobby Jack Wright was a excellent defensive ends coach. So, instead of hiring a real defensive backs coach when Mike Stoops then Bo Pelini leave, BJW is moved there. We have our best cornerback, Reggie Smith, at safety. We have a safety playing nickel corner. We have a tailback playing corner. Result = a still shaky secondary.

BJW should go back to coaching DEs, because we are getting nothing from the DEs. We are getting less from the DTs. We used to play freshmen DTs. Not anymore. Somewhere along the line playing Tommie Harris and having him leave early means McCoy redshirts and Granger did last year. A waste. Instead, we get to watch Coleman and Pendleton blocked out of play after play.

Stoops has gotten himself into another three or four loss season because they insist of treating every class of recruits like the 1999 team. The 1999 team needed tough love. Tough love doesn't work with guys who already have plenty of talent. It's stupid.

The truth of the matter is simply this - without AD, we'd possibly be sitting at 1-4 or 0-5 this year. I feel bad for Peterson. I'm sure he came here expecting more. Because of the ego of his own coaching staff, he's not getting it.

BermudaSooner
10/7/2006, 06:49 PM
We held them to 237 yards -- 100 of which was passing. How can you guys be getting on the DBs?

delhalew
10/7/2006, 06:57 PM

The lateral call could have gone either way, but someone explain to me why that was a legitemate fumble when the ball was firmly in AD's hand when it hit the ground. I'm openminded. I just don't get it.

Landthief 1972
10/7/2006, 08:36 PM
We held them to 237 yards -- 100 of which was passing. How can you guys be getting on the DBs?

Because they got burned on two easily-defendable passes for TDs, and tackle like my 7-month-old?

Zbird
10/7/2006, 08:45 PM
in one game!?!?!?!:mad:

Sometimes the snap count is higher than three.

Tear Down This Wall
10/7/2006, 08:46 PM
Because they got burned on two easily-defendable passes for TDs, and tackle like my 7-month-old?

Yes. Agreed. My 8-month old grips my fingers more tightly than our defense holds onto ball carriers. Only, 18 more years until he's down there in Arlington playing for us in Jerry Jones' Red River Rivalry! :D

MissouriSooner
10/7/2006, 08:59 PM
This is the low point of the Stoops Era. The chickens have come home to roost re: letting the strength and conditioning coach run guys off, not hiring a real defensive backs coach, and not recruiting cornerbacks.

Up 10-7 at half, Adrian with 70+ yards, we come out in the second half and do nothing but pile up offensive line penalties, essentially taking AD out of the game. So many young guys out there due to attrition. This fall, we lost our first not to have a run in with Schmidt; instead, our sleeping compliance department didn't know J.D. Quinn was off breaking NCAA rules.

Sadly, there will some people who still contend that Bob Stoops is a genius for moving D.J. Wolfe to cornerback "because he did it with Andre Woolfolk." Documented time and time again, Woolfolk was a stud on both sides of the ball in high school; Wolfe was a stud tailback. You can't get blood from a turnip, folks. Wolfe is not a cornerback - even if you run him out there game after game in that position, he's not a cornerback.

Someone else who sin't a cornerback is safety Nic Harris. Harris is a solid young safety. However, since Stoops can't or won't sign enough real corners, we get Harris in the nickel - the position Antonio Perkins played to begin his career when real corners Derrick Strait and Andre Woolfolk were manning the corners.

I remember thinking after Wolfe surrended the TD, 'Surely, we didn't just blitz and leave Wolfe to play man to man.' But, we did. A series later, Harris the safety playing corner got burned for the TD that put the game out of reach.

Additionally, because our punter last year showed up at 6:15 a.m. a couple of times instead of 6, we are treated to two punters - neither of which have the ability to bury the ball inside the 10. These guys, when we're stopped between the 40s, can't even get it inside the 20. Brilliant. I hope Schmidt feels like a man for bullying kids off the team. I also hope Stoops is happy with the various results of letting him do so.

Next, Bobby Jack Wright was a excellent defensive ends coach. So, instead of hiring a real defensive backs coach when Mike Stoops then Bo Pelini leave, BJW is moved there. We have our best cornerback, Reggie Smith, at safety. We have a safety playing nickel corner. We have a tailback playing corner. Result = a still shaky secondary.

BJW should go back to coaching DEs, because we are getting nothing from the DEs. We are getting less from the DTs. We used to play freshmen DTs. Not anymore. Somewhere along the line playing Tommie Harris and having him leave early means McCoy redshirts and Granger did last year. A waste. Instead, we get to watch Coleman and Pendleton blocked out of play after play.

Stoops has gotten himself into another three or four loss season because they insist of treating every class of recruits like the 1999 team. The 1999 team needed tough love. Tough love doesn't work with guys who already have plenty of talent. It's stupid.

The truth of the matter is simply this - without AD, we'd possibly be sitting at 1-4 or 0-5 this year. I feel bad for Peterson. I'm sure he came here expecting more. Because of the ego of his own coaching staff, he's not getting it.

Excellent analysis. Too bad nobody on the OU staff who could actually do something about it will read it. But it's dead on.

Jackal
10/7/2006, 09:01 PM
DJ is a junior. Take your player bashing elsewhere.
I thought he was a senior, oh well. Why don't you tell that to everyone else, almost everyone on this board has bashed him in one degree or another. The guy is not a cornerback, maybe I should bash Stoops for trying to play him there then?

sooner13f
10/7/2006, 09:06 PM
in one game!?!?!?!:mad:
Most likely because they are being beat off the line. Usually you see false starts when a lineman is trying to get a jump of the D. It doesnt really have anything to do with the snap count. IMO

SanMarcosCASooner
10/7/2006, 09:48 PM
SOMEBODY POISONED THE WATERHOLE. We were deflated after the half...

www.VOIDGAME.com

Mack Brown molests young boys.

rainiersooner
10/7/2006, 10:31 PM
I agree with Tear Down This Wall - except for the part about Schmidt, although I am open minded about that. I especially agree about the DJ Wolfe stuff and I don't blame the kid either - I blame us for putting him there in the first place and I blame Stoops for not recruiting corner backs. When our corners get burned in one on one every friggin time, we stop blitzing. And at the same time, our line continues to get pushed around. I don't even know if that's a coaching problem - although with the talent we recruit I guess I don't know what else it could be. Bottom line is this is complete ***. I do feel bad for AD.

Texas Golfer
10/7/2006, 10:43 PM
How can Limas Sweed push off with the ball in the air, yet Joe John can't shrug off a hold at the line well before the ball is in the air?

Since when can the ground cause a fumble?

Since when is a pass thrown from the 11.5 up to the 12.5 considered a lateral?

I don't have the answer to your question, or any of these.

I stated these same concerns on another thread. We got hosed again today and it's becoming a pattern.

sooneron
10/7/2006, 10:48 PM
Who is the guadalupe river troll?

Scott D
10/7/2006, 10:53 PM
actually achiro the answer is, they can't.

they are all false start penalties

soonercody
10/7/2006, 10:56 PM
The lateral call could have gone either way, but someone explain to me why that was a legitemate fumble when the ball was firmly in AD's hand when it hit the ground. I'm openminded. I just don't get it.

1) The ground can't cause a fumble.
This is what is hard to get past, until you think of...
2) Any part of a player, except the hands and feet, when touching the ground create a dead ball.

Think of Q running almost horizontally on 2 feet and one hand scrambling around, almost crawling, forward into the end zone. He was the master of keeping possession and going forward without touching a knee or elbow to the ground.

AD was holding the ball in his hand, untucked, and the back of his hand touched the ground. Ball is still live here and it is here that he lost possession. Correct ruling: fumble.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/7/2006, 10:59 PM
i still don't find anything detailing woolfolk on offense at thomas jefferson. looks like most of their offense went through daniel graham.