PDA

View Full Version : Time for a new D-coordinator?

SoonerStormchaser
10/7/2006, 04:58 PM
After watching how flat we've come out in the 3rd on defense, I'm now beginning to think that the first half was an aberration based purely on adreneline.

I'm beginning to think we need some new blood in defensive booth...any thoughts?

LosAngelesSooner
10/7/2006, 05:19 PM
I think you're wrong.

SCOUT
10/7/2006, 05:20 PM
I think you're wrong.
Me too. It is hard to blame turnovers and false starts on the D-Coordinator.

Statalyzer
10/7/2006, 05:22 PM
So far we've got 21 points, and the #1 team in the country is the only team to hold us under 37. Not anything to write home about, but nothing to fire a coach either.

LosAngelesSooner
10/7/2006, 05:27 PM
So far we've got 21 points, and the #1 team in the country is the only team to hold us under 37. Not anything to write home about, but nothing to file a coach either.

And I hate that your mother spread for your father.

Newbomb Turk
10/7/2006, 05:30 PM
10 points. How about a new offensive coordinator?

Statalyzer
10/7/2006, 05:31 PM
I agree with you to support a Sooner coach and so you respond with a horribly unoriginal attempt at an insult?

LosAngelesSooner
10/7/2006, 05:34 PM
It was only unoriginal because so many have echoed those sentiments.

sooner518
10/7/2006, 05:34 PM
look, we're losing on turnovers here. we havent caused any. and we keep fumbling hte ****ing football.

and apparently fumbling forward passes.

Statalyzer
10/7/2006, 05:36 PM
It was only unoriginal because so many have echoed those sentiments.

It was unoriginal because you couldn't think of anything but a tired cliche. Your crimson glasses color your thinking so much that you lash out at someone who agrees with you. Plenty other people on this site can rationally discuss things, why can't you?

85Sooner
10/7/2006, 05:38 PM
I am about to wonder about this whole coaching staff.

This team got beat but good. That said they continually shot themselves in the foot time after time after time. Reminded me of the blake years.
Frankly I am getting a little tired of the head coach stomping around on the sidelines continually griping about everything. He should have this team prepared. 10 penalties for 70 yards 3 fumbles lost is not a prepared Oklahoma team. You do those things to yourself.

LosAngelesSooner
10/7/2006, 05:39 PM
It was unoriginal because you couldn't think of anything but a tired cliche. Your crimson glasses color your thinking so much that you lash out at someone who agrees with you. Plenty other people on this site can rationally discuss things, why can't you?
I'm sorry...you're a Whorn.

Or should I rephrase that to:

"I'm sorry you're a Whorn."

Eh...either way works.

:pop:

soonercody
10/7/2006, 05:46 PM
I don't know if BV needs to be "fired" but his boss needs to light a fire under his a$$ or get him some help.

soonerlineman
get used to it we suck

Statalyzer
And with astounding predictability, you prove my point correct.

sitzpinkler
10/7/2006, 05:47 PM
-

tulsaoilerfan
I've said it before and will say it again; we don't have the talent on defense we had from 00-04; IMO, there is only 1 guy on this defense that could start for any of those teams, and that's Reggie.

Statalyzer
get used to it we suck

You're 4-1 if not for a bad call, and you register just to insult your team?

jrsooner
10/7/2006, 05:49 PM
Not anything to write home about, but nothing to fire a coach either.The point is that the D has been making the same mistakes all year.

Now there are two thoughts that I have about this:
1. Venerables isn't a good enough coach to correct these mistakes.
2. Venerables recruited some majorly dumb players that can't recognize their mistakes and correct them.

Suffice to say, I've never been a fan of Venerables, but thinking a horn wants us to keep him as a D coordinator definately means there's something wrong in the Sooner nation.

LosAngelesSooner
And with astounding predictability, you prove my point correct.
*yawn*

TripleOption14
This game was lost as soon as the OU offense did nothing with their first 2nd half drive!!!! Gave Texass a short field to work with.... as a matter of fact we've been doing that all day!!! No pun intended!! This game was made to easy by the mistakes and penalties!!!

Gandalf_The_Grey
You're 4-1 if not for a bad call, and you register just to insult your team?

I would be willing to bet the IP is out of Stillwater or Texas :P

RJSooner
10/7/2006, 05:51 PM
Flat? or Tired?

How can we expect our defense to stay on the field all game and not give stuff up?

Why are we running Peterson up the middle every frickin play?

Everybody keeps syaing that Peterson is going to get his yards... but am im the only one that realizes that Peterson doesnt get his yards until after we open up the defense with some competed passes?

I say we lost this becuase we had more predictable offensive play calling than Chuck Long.

By the way we held them the entire first half, we should have won this game... but we called the same running plays on running downs everytime we had the ball... Peterson isnt the only player on the team... and he will get his yards if you give him a chance... but not when the defense only has to wait for him and only him to get the ball...

Statalyzer
10/7/2006, 05:51 PM
I would be willing to bet the IP is out of Stillwater or Texas :P

You're probably right.

85Sooner
10/7/2006, 05:53 PM
This game was lost as soon as the OU offense did nothing with their first 2nd half drive!!!! Gave Texass a short field to work with.... as a matter of fact we've been doing that all day!!! No pun intended!! This game was made to easy by the mistakes and penalties!!!

Word

tulsaoilerfan
10/7/2006, 05:54 PM
We are trying to hard to make this team about Peterson; we had success when we went play action and threw to the TE a couple of times, then we pretty much go vanilla in the second half; WTF?

TripleOption14
10/7/2006, 05:55 PM
Flat? or Tired?

How can we expect our defense to stay on the field all game and not give stuff up?

Why are we running Peterson up the middle every frickin play?

Everybody keeps syaing that Peterson is going to get his yards... but am im the only one that realizes that Peterson doesnt get his yards until after we open up the defense with some competed passes?

I say we lost this becuase we had more predictable offensive play calling than Chuck Long.

By the way we held them the entire first half, we should have won this game... but we called the same running plays on running downs everytime we had the ball... Peterson isnt the only player on the team... and he will get his yards if you give him a chance... but not when the defense only has to wait for him and only him to get the ball...

No offense... but your wrong my friend! FIELD POSITION KILLED THIS GAME!!!! Texass worked with the short field at least 2 of their scoring drives!!

Newbomb Turk
10/7/2006, 05:56 PM
We are trying to hard to make this team about Peterson; we had success when we went play action and threw to the TE a couple of times, then we pretty much go vanilla in the second half; WTF?

We are so much better off without Chuck Long.

Rogue
10/7/2006, 06:02 PM
It's hard to stomach losing because of a porous OU defense.

RJSooner
10/7/2006, 06:04 PM
No offense... but your wrong my friend! FIELD POSITION KILLED THIS GAME!!!! Texass worked with the short field at least 2 of their scoring drives!!

Exactly! becasue our offense couldnt move the damn ball! because of rediculously vanilla and predictable plays.

How else would they have good field position? Field position whether good or bad doesnt jsut happen out of this air... its a result of something. Read my post before you reply... I am saying the same thing you are.

101sooner
10/7/2006, 06:07 PM
You're probably right.

Have you linked this thread to HornFans yet?

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/7/2006, 06:08 PM
I think we need to start recruiting more 2 and 3 star players in state that are hungry.

tulsaoilerfan
10/7/2006, 06:11 PM
texas adjusted to what we were doing, yet we didn't; what happened to this crack coaching staff that used to be able to outsmart everyone?:pop:

tulsaoilerfan
10/7/2006, 06:11 PM
Linemen, linemen, linemen; we need em on both sides of the ball

MiccoMacey
10/7/2006, 06:20 PM
Look who we've lost as linemen over the past three or so years.

Some pretty good talent has walked away from this program. That's killed us.

I don't know if BV is responsible for DJ letting Sweed get behind him for what I think was the game breaking TD, but he's not been able to get that through his head yet, and he's responsible for that.

Should we fire a coach that holds a top five team with arguably the best OLine in college football and two great RBs behind them to only 21 offensive points?

Should we fire a coach because our offense only scored 10 points?

I'm not happy with our defense as we looked horrible in the second half, but how many of you were calling for his head at the end of the first half?

TripleOption14
10/7/2006, 06:20 PM
It's hard to stomach losing because of a porous OU defense.

I'm really upset right now so i apologize to you Rogue in advance!! That being said........ ARE YOU PEOPLE TARDED?!?!?!?! The D did its job today!!!!! The O did something it had not done all year... and thats play w/ tons of mistakes!!! Of all the games to FVCK up they did it in this game!!!! I hate to say it boys but the Sooners of old are GANDHI!!!!!! And defense had nothing to do with it today!!

jimmyb
10/7/2006, 06:23 PM
We moved the ball ok but we could'nt hold onto it for ****. Lots of opportunities with an equal number of turn overs and penalties. Their o line dominated our d line, that helped them a little.

OKC-SLC
10/7/2006, 06:29 PM
if you had told me that Texas would have 237 yards and our D would only give up 21 points, I'd have liked our chances.

I like KW better than Chuck, and I'll accept that Texas was the better team. But we have GOT to effing learn how to execute better. The turnovers that are preventable, and ALL the false start penalties. Come on, jeez.

RJSooner
10/7/2006, 06:30 PM
our defense did everything it should have the first half... if your offense cant score that means they are going off the field, which means your defense is coming back on the field... Humans get tired and eventually exhausted.

Im also drunk and ****ed, but the people that are blaming the defense for this, either didnt watch or didnt pay much attention.

Our offensive play calling didnt give ou players the chance to win imo...

WASOONERFAN
My take on the defense is they were unable or unwilling to put pressure on a young quarterback. For that I do put blame on the defensive coordinator. They need to take a look at an upgrade for 07. As for the offense, PT may be a great guy and loved by the team but he is not a top 10 level QB. Blame him or not, in the end he couldn't make enough throws to keep the offense moving. We'll get there a$$ next year!

MiccoMacey
They threw for 107...we threw for 198

They ran for 130...we ran for 133

BV didn't cause three fumbles and two interceptions guys.

The Maestro
10/7/2006, 06:44 PM
After watching how flat we've come out in the 3rd on defense, I'm now beginning to think that the first half was an aberration based purely on adreneline.

I'm beginning to think we need some new blood in defensive booth...any thoughts?

No desire to read your B.S. 231 yards of offense for the horns. Most points with the fewest yards in this series, virtually ever! Bad analysis.

delhalew
10/7/2006, 06:48 PM
I don't think anyone should be fired...yet.

That said, when I see the disgusting execution, lack of focus, and outright laziness from so many players(on both sides of the ball), were is the blame to be lane if not at the feet of the coaching staff?

RJSooner
10/7/2006, 06:54 PM
My take on the defense is they were unable or unwilling to put pressure on a young quarterback. For that I do put blame on the defensive coordinator. They need to take a look at an upgrade for 07. As for the offense, PT may be a great guy and loved by the team but he is not a top 10 level QB. Blame him or not, in the end he couldn't make enough throws to keep the offense moving. We'll get there a$$ next year!

That is actually one thing that frustrated me about our defensive play calling... that we didnt seem to be going for the throat of a young QB in his first OU/texas game...

But when it all comes down to it, our offense was SHUT OUT in the second half.

Rogue
10/7/2006, 06:54 PM
No problem TripleOption14, I guess I see it differently. I agree that the offense stunk it up today also, but watching texas run the draw through our interior D-line all the live long day tells me that we aren't very good. Still missing too many tackles and getting burnt in the secondary on obvious pass plays. One good sack on McCoy, some pressure, but no real solid hits on the freshman who was way too comfortable.

Texas didn't rack up a ton of yards, but they didn't exactly struggle moving the ball in the 2nd half either.

RJSooner
10/7/2006, 06:57 PM
If our offense would have stayed on the field longer, our defense would have probly been able to play much better in the second half. You could see how tired they were.

Rogue
10/7/2006, 06:59 PM
Total yards in this game were deceptive. Only in the 2nd quarter did I feel like we had momentum. For the other 3 quarters we looked like a desperate team that.

Egeo
10/7/2006, 07:07 PM
They threw for 107...we threw for 198

They ran for 130...we ran for 133

BV didn't cause three fumbles and two interceptions guys.
thank you

you guys wanting our coaches fired go find us some better ones first
k thx

Tulsa_Fireman
10/7/2006, 07:08 PM
Gospel true. Desperate. Which is gutwrenchin' sick.

some 1st quarter and 2nd quater play had penetration, something I haven't seen for squat all season, from the front four. My cash goes on the fact that because of this, along with a few well-timed blitzes, that front four with penetration would cause enough disruption in timing and scheme to let the secondary ease into coverage with help. Bad thing is, the penetration went away, whether from just ol' fashioned wearin' out, fallin' back into the habits that we saw at UAB, UW, and Oregonad with lateral shifting at the point of attack and ZERO gap priority, or what. I dunno.

One thing I do know is that we got woodshedded. Bastards.

kc sooner
10/7/2006, 07:41 PM
Our d was decent but we need stops, we don't get them anymore. We can't stop the run anymore and we never put more guys in the box. It's always the same 4-3, they could have scored more in the first half but they have Mack Brown and went away from the plays that worked.

TUSooner
10/7/2006, 07:50 PM
...Frankly I am getting a little tired of the head coach stomping around on the sidelines continually griping about everything. He should have this team prepared. 10 penalties for 70 yards 3 fumbles lost is not a prepared Oklahoma team. You do those things to yourself.

This I definitely agree with. Not saying we should dump Stoops by any means, but he could be doing better. Mack out-coached him this week.

As for BV: Maybe giving up 21 points today was not a defensive failure, but I sure do miss the Kick A$$ & Take Names D of the Mike Stoops days. Call me spoiled, but I want us to have an all-out attacking D, one that keeps offenses off balance and QB's on their butts, and punishes the opponent for every yard.

MiccoMacey
10/7/2006, 08:01 PM
Our d was decent but we need stops, we don't get them anymore. We can't stop the run anymore and we never put more guys in the box. It's always the same 4-3, they could have scored more in the first half but they have Mack Brown and went away from the plays that worked.

In the first half, five of their six series were 3 and out. One score was a defensive score. Two scores were short field scores. That's not totally on our defense.

Not sure what you're wanting here (except to maybe find either a cornerback or a cornerback coach who can get it into these players heads that you don't let people behind you on a blitz).

And I'm pretty sure if they could have scored more, they would have...I doubt Mack's plan was to go into the locker room down by three at the half.

It could be that they went away from what was working for them because we started stopping them.

soonercody
10/7/2006, 10:32 PM
One difference between this D and those of Mike Stoop and the Ryan guy is that we gamble so differently. We try one blitz, leaving DJ in man coverage and, almost predictably at this point in the season, get burnt.

So, we quit blitzing the freshman at that point. Since when is that our defensive strategy?

Texas Golfer
10/7/2006, 10:40 PM
I've called for Brent's head after previous games this season, but the defense didn't beat us today. The offense did (stupid penalties and turnovers).

ashley
10/8/2006, 06:53 AM
Our D did not get us beaten. Turnovers and penalities and bad refs did it.

zeke
10/8/2006, 08:21 AM
A better prepared, better coached team that consistantly hits harder is more hungry and just wanted it more won that game.
Blah Blah Blah about the refs...stupid STUPID play call on the fumble that Tx picked up and WALKED into the endzone.
We have recruited as well as any team in the country for several years now and done what...nothing.
Yesterday there were a whole bunch of teams out there that would have beat us. I'm not sold that Texas is very good.

SoonerKnight
10/29/2009, 09:12 PM
Oh the classics!

OUmillenium
10/29/2009, 09:18 PM
Your arms off!

I'll have your leg...

SoonerKnight
10/29/2009, 09:29 PM
3 year old threads are great to look back at! This season reminds me of 2005 and 2006 combined! except our D is great!

stoopified
10/29/2009, 10:39 PM
No.

gaylordfan1
10/29/2009, 11:10 PM
I call this talk crazy, just crazy! Ok, guys, tell me who you want in this position. You can only choose someone who is available... or who would come to the program. Our defense has kept us in every game! Without them we may have more losses! I think this is BV best season yet. But this is my opinion. Discuss.....

gaylordfan1
10/29/2009, 11:13 PM
OK, I just picked up on the antique thread situation.... sorry.

SoonerKnight
10/29/2009, 11:23 PM
LOL! I got bored! :D

gaylordfan1
10/29/2009, 11:41 PM
It is crazy how the circumstances still apply to this year... and all years.

SoonerKnight
10/29/2009, 11:50 PM
Yep!

SCOUT
10/30/2009, 12:02 AM
Me too. It is hard to blame turnovers and false starts on the D-Coordinator.

I am glad to see that I was level headed back then too.

boomermagic
10/30/2009, 01:32 PM
I call this talk crazy, just crazy! Ok, guys, tell me who you want in this position. You can only choose someone who is available... or who would come to the program. Our defense has kept us in every game! Without them we may have more losses! I think this is BV best season yet. But this is my opinion. Discuss.....

I agree this is BV's best season so far.. BUT, Do you think maybe Just MAYBE the talent has a little something to do with that? I think Brent is a good DC and a GREAT lbers coach.. I prefer Mike Stoops as a DC but I can't think of anyone else I would rather have besides Brent other than Mike.. Now, If texas gets rid of theirs he is a really good one but I don't know that he is any better but then I would take MS over both.

rawlingsHOH
10/30/2009, 01:45 PM
I agree this is BV's best season so far.. BUT, Do you think maybe Just MAYBE the talent has a little something to do with that? I think Brent is a good DC and a GREAT lbers coach.. I prefer Mike Stoops as a DC but I can't think of anyone else I would rather have besides Brent other than Mike.. Now, If texas gets rid of theirs he is a really good one but I don't know that he is any better but then I would take MS over both.
No more or less than the talent had something to do with every season.

boomermagic
10/30/2009, 02:33 PM
No more or less than the talent had something to do with every season.

We are fortunate this season to have talent and experience especially the backers and along the line.. That is a prefered combination and one we don't always enjoy.. I am certainly NOT trying to down play the good job Brent is doing by saying that but We DON'T always have that..

Collier11
10/30/2009, 02:54 PM
It has to do with a mixture of the players "getting it" finally and better def schemes.