PDA

View Full Version : indoor antenna hookerupper ****** somethings...

Hatfield
10/7/2006, 11:33 AM
so to get the game on the big screen i went to get an amp. indoor antenna from radio shack.

i have a 42" sony wega

i plugged the ant. power source in, and plugged the ant into the vhf/uhf input and when i told it to go get my damn hd channels

sadly it didn't...any suggestions?

ant was hooked up to nothing (as in coming in) only hooked up straight to the tv.

Sooner_Bob
10/7/2006, 12:13 PM
Do the Wegas come HD-ready?

Cam
10/7/2006, 12:31 PM
I would think the Wega's HD ready.

[100% guess] Maybe check your input sources in the main menu? [/100% guess]

Ike
10/7/2006, 12:37 PM
how many HD channels are comming over the air these days? I didn't know there were any.

The indoor antenna may not be capable of picking them up. its possible that the amplifier might even interfere with them. dunno.

StoopTroup
10/7/2006, 12:40 PM
Hatfield...

You have use up your allotment of Hooks for the day.

Careful from here on OUt. ;)

rebmus
10/7/2006, 12:51 PM
when you call it "hookerupper somethings"... that's my first guess that you don't have a clue what you're doing.
*i don't either... HD isn't offered in MS for another 10 years.

Hatfield
10/7/2006, 12:56 PM
i have an ant. on the tv in the bedroom with that i get the local hd channels. abc, cbs, fox, cw, etc.

sadly the tv in the living room is smarter than i am...and it was going to take longer to figure out than i wanted so i returned it and used the money to buy some booze

Cam
10/7/2006, 02:11 PM
how many HD channels are comming over the air these days? I didn't know there were any.

Actually, there are quite a few of them. According to some sites, there are at least 10 in OKC area that broadcast digital OTA.

jeremy885
10/7/2006, 08:30 PM
I just got a Samsung HDTV today and I've been trying to get ABC all day. Anybody in DFW know how to get your TV to pick it up? I try manually typing in channels 8-1 and 8-2, but it goes straight to AIR 8.

Widescreen
10/7/2006, 11:12 PM
What is the Samsung model number?

jeremy885
10/8/2006, 09:35 AM
LN-S4051D

I can get all the other networks in HD, except for ABC.

booomer
10/8/2006, 09:48 AM
My HD tv has no channel source on it's own......another device, cable box, satellite receiver, etc. must be in place to provide channels for my tv.....it is merely a monitor.

Could the problem be something like that?

mrowl
10/8/2006, 10:29 AM
I just got a Samsung HDTV today and I've been trying to get ABC all day. Anybody in DFW know how to get your TV to pick it up? I try manually typing in channels 8-1 and 8-2, but it goes straight to AIR 8.

you in McKinney? Ch. 8 has the weakest signal.

In Flower Mound, I have to use an amplified antenna on the roof. If you don't have a setup like that, good luck.

soonerboomer93
10/8/2006, 08:21 PM
check http://www.antennaweb.org they give you information on signal and antenna recommendations

Widescreen
10/8/2006, 10:17 PM
LN-S4051D

I can get all the other networks in HD, except for ABC.
Yeah, I was just checking to make sure it had an ATSC tuner. It obviously does. ABC is the worst in terms of picking up the signal. It's the only ATSC provider in the area in the VHF band - all other Dallas channels are UHF which are way easier to pick up. I used to try to use a small amplified set top antenna and ABC would never show up for more than a few seconds at a time. I bought a 90" antenna from radio shack and put it in the attic pointed toward the towers in Cedar Hill. ABC (and all other channels) is good now except it still gets occasional picture breakup despite excellent signal strengths. I was in contact with WFAA's station engineer and he said that it was likely caused by household appliances going on and off (like the A/C). I think he's right as the picture breakups do often coincide with the AC cycling. He said there was nothing they could do because they were already broadcasting at their maximum power and the VHF band is interfered with by appliances. He said they will not be switching from VHF at any point in the future either. So basically, what I have right now (which is excellent picture 98% of the time with 2% picture breakups) is the best I'll probably ever get. BTW, I'm in Allen.

By the way, if your antenna is UHF only, you won't pick up WFAA since it's VHF. That's a common problem since a lot of people buy UHF-only antennas.