PDA

View Full Version : Buddhist Economics (aka Sufficiency Economics)

Chuck Bao
10/6/2006, 09:38 PM
Ever hear of it? No? I’m not surprised, I hadn’t either.

Now, it appears that the new “powers that be” in Thailand are intent on adopting this so-called “Sufficiency Economics”. And, they had to immediately put foreigners at ease with no, it’s not Self-sufficiency Economics, not North Korean Juche style ideology/religion/economics. It’s just Sufficiency Economics or Buddhist Economics.

Basically, Buddhism teaches us that life is suffering and we can’t be too attached to material stuff, which is fleeting. Only by detaching ourselves for the material world can we reach true happiness. I’m not sure that would be such a good basis for an economic model.

Applying the two cows theory to Buddhist economics: You have two cows and you hope that they’re happy.

So, I’m thinking that Sufficiency Economics really means middle path - all things in moderation. And, maybe it’s meant to be applied more at the individual level than macro economic policy. That’s not such a bad thing, is it?

But, they’re talking about Bhutan being a model. Bhutan? Really??? So, forget about GDP, we’re talking about GHI (Gross Happiness Index). Heh! Gross happiness.

JohnnyMack
10/6/2006, 10:31 PM
I need to have about 4 more beers before I understand this thread.

Although tomorrow it's Margaritaville at my house for the game. Maybe the tequila will offer me lucidity?

Chuck Bao
10/6/2006, 11:33 PM
We probably need more Buddhist jokes.

Unlike others, Buddhists have a great sense of humor.

I found this one on the interweb:

A monk was driving in Thailand when suddenly a dog crosses the road. The car hit and killed the dog. The monk looked around and seeing a temple, went to knock on the door. A monk opened the door. The first monk said: "I'm terribly sorry, but my karma ran over your dogma."

SicEmBaylor
10/6/2006, 11:37 PM
Here's my suggestion.
Gather up whatever personal property you have and leave.

It sounds like to me that "detachment from material objects" means that THEY will detach you from said objects or otherwise make the aquisition of additional objects near impossible.

Chuck Bao
10/7/2006, 12:04 AM
Here's my suggestion.
Gather up whatever personal property you have and leave.

It sounds like to me that "detachment from material objects" means that THEY will detach you from said objects or otherwise make the aquisition of additional objects near impossible.

Said the Republican. (No offense meant) ;)

I'm taking it more as a social admonishment of trying to consume less or just what one really needs. Of course, if everyone did that, the economy would be in trouble. But, it really isn't bad advice for individuals, in my opinion.

SicEmBaylor
10/7/2006, 12:09 AM

I'm taking it more as a social admonishment of trying to consume less or just what one really needs. Of course, if everyone did that, the economy would be in trouble. But, it really isn't bad advice for individuals, in my opinion.

Hey whatever minimalist back to nature lifestyle you want to live is your business.

Personally, I want to be surrounded by lots and lots of things that have very very high price tags made by very very poor and very very young children in very very sweaty sweat shops. :D

rebmus
10/7/2006, 12:13 AM
Applying the two cows theory to Buddhist economics: You have two cows and you hope that they’re happy.
i thought that was the aggie theory?

wait... that's making sheep happy. nevermind.

nanimonai
10/7/2006, 03:38 AM

Just remember that you're at war with Eurasia, not Eastasia. :twinkies:

Jerk
10/7/2006, 04:27 AM
Ever hear of it? No? I’m not surprised, I hadn’t either.

Now, it appears that the new “powers that be” in Thailand are intent on adopting this so-called “Sufficiency Economics”. And, they had to immediately put foreigners at ease with no, it’s not Self-sufficiency Economics, not North Korean Juche style ideology/religion/economics. It’s just Sufficiency Economics or Buddhist Economics.

Basically, Buddhism teaches us that life is suffering and we can’t be too attached to material stuff, which is fleeting. Only by detaching ourselves for the material world can we reach true happiness. I’m not sure that would be such a good basis for an economic model.

So, I’m thinking that Sufficiency Economics really means middle path - all things in moderation. And, maybe it’s meant to be applied more at the individual level than macro economic policy. That’s not such a bad thing, is it?

But, they’re talking about Bhutan being a model. Bhutan? Really??? So, forget about GDP, we’re talking about GHI (Gross Happiness Index). Heh! Gross happiness.

Remember the Soviet Union when they had 'bread lines'? Some old hag would stand in line for hours so she could get her gov't quota of food.

Sounds like that's what you're in for.