PDA

View Full Version : FL voting booths will notify on Foley votes going to replacement

PhilTLL
10/6/2006, 09:12 PM
Link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061006/ap_on_el_ho/foley_signs_for_voters_2;_ylt=AoBTfuI24TYuLbpJF4sC 5WeGbToC;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl)

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - Supervisors of elections in former Rep. Mark Foley's district may post signs telling voters that Joe Negron is the Republican candidate even though it will be Foley's name on the ballot, Florida elections officials said Thursday.

An e-mail from the State Division of Elections to election supervisors in counties that are part of Foley's district said that "preferably, the notice would be placed in every voting booth" and in absentee ballot mailings. The suggestion angered some Democrats who said it gives Negron unfair help.

Counties do not need to post such notices, but the agency sent out its recommendations after being asked by local elections officials, spokeswoman Jenny Nash said.

Foley had been heavily favored to beat Democrat Tim Mahoney in November before a scandal involving inappropriate messages to young pages led to his high-profile resignation. Republican leaders picked Negron, a state legislator, to replace him, but it was too late to put his name on the ballot.

State Democratic Party Chairwoman Karen Thurman sent a letter to state officials noting that state laws prohibit signs from being posted at polling places.

Seems fair enough to me, but elections in Florida are never really "normal" anymore, so the Democrats being suspicious is unsurprising.

VeeJay
10/7/2006, 08:46 AM
As long as the state troopers are road blocking the black folk's polling places I will be happy. :rolleyes:

Get ready for record numbers of "so-and-so's name was not on the ballot!"

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/7/2006, 10:26 AM
Link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061006/ap_on_el_ho/foley_signs_for_voters_2;_ylt=AoBTfuI24TYuLbpJF4sC 5WeGbToC;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl)

Seems fair enough to me, but elections in Florida are never really "normal" anymore, so the Democrats being suspicious is unsurprising.Don't you think the repubs should be at least suspicious, too?