PDA

View Full Version : texas gubernatorial debate

jk the sooner fan
10/6/2006, 08:05 PM
anybody besides me watch that?

Chris Bell, the democrat actually came across pretty well......Kinky Friedman was horrible.....Strayhorn dodged a few questions and kept her message on a "repeating loop" all nite

Perry will waltz away with this election

SicEmBaylor
10/6/2006, 08:14 PM
I watched it.
I agree with what you've said though I think Strayhorn did herself more harm than good.

Did you catch that at the end with Perry/Kinky?

Kinky turns to Bell first to shake his hand and then turns to the other side to shake Perry's. Perry turns to Kinky and Kinky reaches his hand out but then Perry turns around to shake Strayhorn's first and Kinky gives him a "you son of a bitch" look.

jk the sooner fan
10/6/2006, 08:17 PM
yeah i did catch that....i dont think strayhorn actually hurt herself, i just dont think she did anything to improve her lot

i did think it was funny when Bell made the comment about running against 3 republicans

i thought the 15 second "gotcha" questions were stupid and pointless

i think Kinky got exposed for what he is.....a joke totally out of his element, i'd bet his numbers take a huge nose dive, which could bode well for Bell or Strayhorn

SCOUT
10/6/2006, 09:09 PM
As a registered Republican in Texas, I will be voting for whichever candidate has the best chance of beating Perry.

PhilTLL
10/6/2006, 09:19 PM
As a registered Republican in Texas, I will be voting for whichever candidate has the best chance of beating Perry.

:texan: You filthy RINOs are RUINING this party and therefore this NATION!!

mrowl
10/6/2006, 09:27 PM
I think the platform grandma was standing on was at least 3 feet tall.

And they are all a bunch of idiots.

SicEmBaylor
10/6/2006, 09:51 PM

Scout, you're a good man!
Spek to you.

SicEmBaylor
10/6/2006, 09:52 PM
I kept my registration in Oklahoma..otherwise I'd vote for Kinky.

jk the sooner fan
10/6/2006, 09:59 PM
.otherwise I'd vote for Kinky.

even after what you saw tonite?

crawfish
10/6/2006, 10:02 PM
Gah. Four losers. What are the chances that just ONE person wouldn't run who's better than Perry? :mad:

I was actually leaning toward Strayhorn until tonight. Big bag of wind. Bell sounds like the bad sort of nerd (tries his best to not sound like one, but comes across as a total wimp). Kinky is...interesting.

I don't wanna vote for Perry. I really don't. :mad:

jk the sooner fan
10/6/2006, 10:04 PM
yeah, i was in the strayhorn camp but have my doubts now

i will say that the debate format really did not give any of them the chance to do very well.....and thats apparently Perry's fault because he wont debate more than once

how can 4 candidates have a real debate on the issues in a single hour? its absurd

SicEmBaylor
10/6/2006, 10:04 PM
even after what you saw tonite?

Yes, my support has zip to do with his issues. I knew his issues the moment he announced. I got nothing new from that debate other than Strayhorn knowing how to stay on message.

It was interesting though.

jk the sooner fan
10/6/2006, 10:06 PM
he was embarrassing....he'd spend 4 years accomplishing absolutely nothing

SicEmBaylor
10/6/2006, 10:09 PM

Exactly.

There's no reason to vote for Kinky on his issues. Most of them suck. Even if they were great it'd still be pointless. Neither party would ever hand Kinky any kind of major or meaningful legislative victory even when that legislation is otherwise agreeable with a plank of either party's platform. That's basically what happened to Ventura in Minnesota.

jk the sooner fan
10/6/2006, 10:12 PM
That's basically what happened to Ventura in Minnesota.

yeah i was just sitting here tryign to remember how that experiment went.....my memory says not so good

SicEmBaylor
10/6/2006, 10:43 PM
yeah i was just sitting here tryign to remember how that experiment went.....my memory says not so good

The choice here though isn't between Kinky and some amazing and superior governor whose name would go down in state history along side "The Alamo."

It's between Bell, Perry, Strayhorn, and Kinky.

I sure as hell do not want Bell getting elected and getting an iota of his agenda made into law.

I sure as hell do not want to see Perry re-elected for a whole laundry list of reasons including the political assasination of Justice Steven Wayne Smith, the business tax, stealth income tax, toll roads, the TTC, etc.

Strayhorn is a possibility, but my dissatisfaction with the RPT goes well beyond Rick Perry. My problem with the RPT itself has been festering awhile and a lot of the behind the scenes crap at this year's convention between the Perry wing and everyone else made my stomach churn on a couple of counts.

All and all...I believe a message needs to be sent to the state party to shape up and shape up fast and the only way for them to get that message is to see a mass number of Republican votes not go to a GOP candidate. True, Granny is running as an independent but that's purely to ensure she got on the ballot. Kinky is really the only candidate that could deliver as potent a "shape up" message to BOTH political parties by ciphening away a large number of their votes.

Perry is not that popular. Almost all of Strayhorn's votes are Republicans dissatisfied with Perry and good chunk of Kinky's support comes from dissatisfaction with both sides. Few people really go out of their way to vote for an independent or 3rd party candidate, so you can easily percieve support for both Kinky and Granny as anti-Perry votes that..if they had been combined into a single candidate...could send Perry his pink slip.

So, my support for Kinky comes from the fact that the idea of having the agenda of any of the other candidates progressed is intolerable to me. Strayhorn is an independent but she'd govern more or less as a Republican and most Republicans would see her as such...because she is such...I'm also hugely dissatisfied with the RPT.

PhilTLL
10/6/2006, 10:44 PM
Races like this really make me long for a mechanism that would record a non-vote (as in "I choose none of these candidates"), but of course then there's no winner.

SicEmBaylor
10/6/2006, 10:57 PM
but of course then there's no winner.

The winner of course...in that scenerio...is the state of Texas.

sooneron
10/6/2006, 11:14 PM
What does the gov of texas do again? Besides denying death penalty stays of execution.

SicEmBaylor
10/6/2006, 11:16 PM
What does the gov of texas do again? Besides denying death penalty stays of execution.

They run for President and then invade places. :D

mrowl
10/25/2006, 07:08 PM
the more I know about Chris Bell, the more of my vote he is getting.

But I am in the "anybody buy Perry" camp.

Widescreen
10/25/2006, 07:14 PM
I guess I'm going to have to hold my nose and vote for Perry. And it makes me mad because I'm sick of his radio commercials about how he tackled the illegal immigration problem before Washington. He had years to start dealing with it and he did everything but. Then when he sees which way the political winds are blowing it suddenly becomes a priority to him. The guy's an asshat.

SicEmBaylor
10/25/2006, 07:16 PM
I guess I'm going to have to hold my nose and vote for Perry. And it makes me mad because I'm sick of his radio commercials about how he tackled the illegal immigration problem before Washington. He had years to start dealing with it and he did everything but. Then when he sees which way the political winds are blowing it suddenly becomes a priority to him. The guy's an asshat.

Why do you have to vote for Perry?

jk the sooner fan
10/25/2006, 07:19 PM
i'm still voting for grandma......as poor a performance as she had in the debate, i still like her message on the issues that matter to me

jrsooner
10/25/2006, 08:09 PM
And it makes me mad because I'm sick of his radio commercials about how he tackled the illegal immigration problem before Washington.I'm about to do my research on these guys, but what was their stand on the southern TX border if any during the debate? My wife is pulling for Strayhorn.

Scott D
10/25/2006, 08:12 PM

And this would make him different than any other professional politician how? :D

mrowl
10/25/2006, 08:25 PM
I'm about to do my research on these guys, but what was their stand on the southern TX border if any during the debate? My wife is pulling for Strayhorn.

I think they all agreed, must build fence, must punish employers for hiring illegals...

My "anybody but Perry" campaign is for 2 reasons:

the $180 Billion dollar stupid tollroad built by a company from SPAIN.
(that strayhorn wanted 3 years ago)

the 19 coal power plants he is rushing through the permits process.

Widescreen
10/25/2006, 08:35 PM
Why do you have to vote for Perry?
Because the other 2 seem like blithering idiots to me. I'm going to vote for the person who IMO sucks the least. I sure would like the opportunity to vote FOR someone. It doesn't look like it's going to happen this time around.

GrapevineSooner
10/25/2006, 10:45 PM
Put me in the Kinky camp.

Even though Perry's gonna run away with this one.

jk the sooner fan
10/25/2006, 10:52 PM
i just dont understand how/why anybody is voting for kinky

no offense but i dont get it

KaiserSooner
10/26/2006, 09:42 AM
If Perry is so bad, why is he going to run away with it?

There's little doubt in my mind he wins, but I'll be interested in the numbers as the come through Tuesday night.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/26/2006, 09:50 AM

Bingo.

That being said - its Strayhorn now...

Oh and in D22 write in Shelley Sekula Gibbs or whatever her name is. Vote against the Dim efforts to gerrymander this district! The dims have gone overboard to prevent D22 from voting repub and from Florida's Foley district from voting Repub. They are desperate and I won't allow them to get away with it...

Also, if in Houston - I urge you to vote NO on all the propositions. Just to send a message. But mostly vote NO on Prop G, which will do away with the tax spending limits enacted by vote last year...

mrowl
10/26/2006, 09:52 AM
Bingo.

That being said - its Strayhorn now...

Oh and in D22 write in Shelley Sekula Gibbs or whatever her name is. Vote against the Dim efforts to gerrymander this district! The dims have gone overboard to prevent D22 from voting repub and from Florida's Foley district from voting Repub. They are desperate and I won't allow them to get away with it...

Also, if in Houston - I urge you to vote NO on all the propositions. Just to send a message. But mostly vote NO on Prop G, which will do away with the tax spending limits enacted by vote last year...

according to the latest numbers, strayhorn is running 3rd.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/26/2006, 09:54 AM

She is?...She has my vote...I thought she was a distant 2 at about 18% followed closely by Bell. Perhaps they switched.

KaiserSooner
10/26/2006, 10:00 AM

What are the numbers? I haven't seen any for the gov's race down there.

NormanPride
10/26/2006, 10:02 AM
There needs to be a national trend of write-ins for "No Candidate".

KaiserSooner
10/26/2006, 10:02 AM
Nevermind. Zogby's 10/19 poll has these numbers: 37%, 26%, 13%, 13%. Perry, Bell, with Kinky and Strayhorn tied at 13%.

mrowl
10/26/2006, 10:03 AM
looking for the link again...

mrowl
10/26/2006, 10:03 AM
Nevermind. Zogby's 10/19 poll has these numbers: 37%, 26%, 13%, 13%. Perry, Bell, with Kinky and Strayhorn tied at 13%.

thats it

skycat
10/26/2006, 10:11 AM
Strayhorn's a loon. I heard her give a radio interview a while back, and she was embarrasing. She hasn't done anything since then to change my mind. Kinky sucks. I'll probably vote Perry, I guess. :mad:

TheHumanAlphabet
10/26/2006, 10:43 AM
And Perry isn't a loon?

He is a Cultist and I think that is worse. As Mrs THA has said, he is a cultist pretty boy...I think of the Marlboro Man when I see that Border Security commercial...

BTW,

What do people think of Dewhurst? Lt. Gov is the most powerful office in TX (besides Railroad Commishes...)

skycat
10/26/2006, 10:56 AM
Perry's not so much a loon, as he is a hack.

KaiserSooner
10/26/2006, 11:21 AM
So what's so wrong with Chris Bell, that you all who call Perry a loon, quack, hack, etc. won't vote for him(Bell)?

skycat
10/26/2006, 11:27 AM
So what's so wrong with Chris Bell, that you all who call Perry a loon, quack, hack, etc. won't vote for him(Bell)?

I think he's a hack too. I just might vote for him, but he's got a couple of issues that I don't agree with him on.

TexasSooner01
10/26/2006, 11:27 AM
They are all quacks!

NormanPride
10/26/2006, 11:28 AM
It's politics. Vote for your grandmother if you want someone you can trust.

TexasSooner01
10/26/2006, 11:30 AM
It's politics. Vote for your grandmother if you want someone you can trust.

Heh! Thats what my nine year old said! :D

I just dont think she is snappy enough to be a Gov.:confused:

jk the sooner fan
10/26/2006, 11:57 AM

he's a liberal democrat

TheHumanAlphabet
10/26/2006, 01:21 PM
So what's so wrong with Chris Bell?

UT grad, lawyer, liberal and failed politician. Anything else?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/26/2006, 02:35 PM
I'm a big fan of kinky.

Scott D
10/26/2006, 03:51 PM

he's a mexican child molester hiding in the witness protection program ;)

KaiserSooner
10/26/2006, 04:26 PM

Uhh, you live in the state of Texas, so you might want to get used to the UT grad thing ;)

In what ways, specifically, is he a liberal?

Failed pol? That doesn't appear to be preventing you from supporting Perry?

mrowl
10/26/2006, 04:30 PM
the mud-slinging TV ads are getting great...

My favorite is the Perry one where at the end he looks into the camera with the face of determination (or trying to squeeze one out) :D

TheHumanAlphabet
10/27/2006, 10:36 AM
Uhh, you live in the state of Texas, so you might want to get used to the UT grad thing ;)

In what ways, specifically, is he a liberal?

Failed pol? That doesn't appear to be preventing you from supporting Perry?

I'm not voting for Perry...Read earlier, I'm going for Strayhorn. Kinky just got too weird...

Notmally, the UT thing isn't an issue, but this is a Sooner board so I put it up...

Tear Down This Wall
10/27/2006, 10:55 AM
Kinky is for marijuana legalization and abortion. He acts like he's outside the process, but he isn't. Chris Bell is a plaintiffs attorney. Strayhorn is simply mad because the Texas GOP likes Rick Perry better than they like her.

Basically, because I don't live my life with my head shoved up my butt, I'm voting for Perry. Everyone else is a joke.

Mjcpr
10/27/2006, 10:56 AM
Kinky is for marijuana legalization and abortion. He acts like he's outside the process, but he isn't. Chris Bell is a plaintiffs attorney. Strayhorn is simply mad because the Texas GOP likes Rick Perry better than they like her.

Basically, because I don't live my life with my head shoved up my butt, I'm voting for Perry. Everyone else is a joke.

If you did, would that cause your head to get the AIDS?

Tear Down This Wall
10/27/2006, 10:57 AM
And Perry isn't a loon?

He is a Cultist and I think that is worse. As Mrs THA has said, he is a cultist pretty boy...I think of the Marlboro Man when I see that Border Security commercial...

BTW,

What do people think of Dewhurst? Lt. Gov is the most powerful office in TX (besides Railroad Commishes...)

Dewhurst is a blowhard. One of the few Republicans I'd never vote for if he ran for governor.

Tear Down This Wall
10/27/2006, 10:58 AM
If you did, would that cause your head to get the AIDS?

Probably. But, don't tell the leftists. They think the butt is a clean area designed for intercourse by psychologically screwed up men.

soonerjoker
10/27/2006, 01:02 PM
kinky doesn't have a clue.

foxy angry gammy is too old & not smart enuff

bell gets worse, the more you hear him talk. extry liberal.

perry ain't much, but he got (voted early) my vote.