PDA

View Full Version : Canadian College Football

Sooner_Bob
10/5/2006, 07:30 PM
Anyone else watching this on CSTV?

I'll never get used to the movement towards the line of scrimmage.

Sooner_Bob
10/5/2006, 07:31 PM
Western Ontario just scored a TD and the player actually went over and high-fived some fans in the stands without a flag being thrown.

Sooner_Bob
10/5/2006, 07:32 PM
And those goalposts . . . right at the goal line.

Sooner_Bob
10/5/2006, 07:35 PM
It looks like they're playing on green concrete . . .

HoserSooner
10/5/2006, 09:01 PM
You guys get Cannuck college ball down there? Wow, I get it up here and I don't even watch it. Very different game, and I still don't quite understand it that much.

It's just not that interesting for me to watch.

Sooner_Bob
12/5/2006, 07:41 PM
You guys get Cannuck college ball down there? Wow, I get it up here and I don't even watch it. Very different game, and I still don't quite understand it that much.

It's just not that interesting for me to watch.

I haven't seen a game on down here since . . . I'm not sure if it was just a filler game or what.

So what kind of championship does Canada have for their college game?

HoserSooner
12/5/2006, 10:50 PM
I haven't seen a game on down here since . . . I'm not sure if it was just a filler game or what.

So what kind of championship does Canada have for their college game?

They actually have a playoff. :D

It's called the Vanier Cup, and they take the champions of the 4 conferences, and play them off against each other. I'm a little vague on exactly how it works, but I know there is one for Quebec, one for Ontario, and one each for the western and maritime provinces.

The game was played a couple of weekends ago somewhere in Saskatchewan I believe, and the windchill was below -30, but still sold out.

The main difference with the ball up here (other than the goofy size of the field and the size of the footballs - larger than in the US), is that there are no athletic scholarships given out in Canadian Universities. So any really good player that actually comes from Canada, frequently heads south to get their education payed for. The most notable one that comes to mind was Diedrick(sp?) the Nebraska RB from a few years ago that was out of Toronto.

http://www.cisport.ca/e/championships/vaniercup/2006/teams.htm

Frozen Sooner
12/5/2006, 10:55 PM
Wasn't there a Florida QB from Canada who actually made it to the league? Palmer possibly?

Yep. Jesse Palmer. Started some games for the Giants.

Vanderjagt was also born in Canada. Huh.

HoserSooner
12/5/2006, 10:58 PM
Wasn't there a Florida QB from Canada who actually made it to the league? Palmer possibly?

Yep. Jesse Palmer. Started some games for the Giants.

Vanderjagt was also born in Canada. Huh.

Yeah, that's right. I think he got on with the Giants for a year or so, but ended up playing in the CFL.

Vanderjagt is from Canada, but I think he probably went to a US school. Tony Mandarich was also from just outside of Toronto.

Sooner_Bob
12/6/2006, 08:23 AM
They actually have a playoff. :D

It's called the Vanier Cup, and they take the champions of the 4 conferences, and play them off against each other. I'm a little vague on exactly how it works, but I know there is one for Quebec, one for Ontario, and one each for the western and maritime provinces.

The game was played a couple of weekends ago somewhere in Saskatchewan I believe, and the windchill was below -30, but still sold out.

The main difference with the ball up here (other than the goofy size of the field and the size of the footballs - larger than in the US), is that there are no athletic scholarships given out in Canadian Universities. So any really good player that actually comes from Canada, frequently heads south to get their education payed for. The most notable one that comes to mind was Diedrick(sp?) the Nebraska RB from a few years ago that was out of Toronto.

http://www.cisport.ca/e/championships/vaniercup/2006/teams.htm

Cool. Thanks for the info. -30 yikes.

GrapevineSooner
12/6/2006, 03:49 PM
Yeah, that's right. I think he got on with the Giants for a year or so, but ended up playing in the CFL.

Vanderjagt is from Canada, but I think he probably went to a US school. Tony Mandarich was also from just outside of Toronto.

Vanderslice went to West Virginia.