PDA

View Full Version : AD on Punt Returns?

jwlynn64
10/5/2006, 03:31 PM
I love Stoops but what is he thinking? First he puts AD on kickoffs when Gut is 11th in the nation in returns.

Now he is going to use AD instead of Smith? The only logical conclusion I can come up with from this is that Reggie is not 100%. I hope that this doesn't hurt our D. We really can't afford a step backwards.

Mjcpr
10/5/2006, 03:32 PM
And you heard this where?

sooneron
10/5/2006, 03:33 PM
Where did you hear about this? I saw the coach Wilson vid where he was saying that AD returning kicks was good, that they coverage is set and you have blockers in front of you. Not so in punts.

Mjcpr
10/5/2006, 03:34 PM
No way they'll have AD returning punts.

:rolleyes:

jwlynn64
10/5/2006, 03:36 PM
Don't know how people post the articles but here is the link.

http://oklahoma.rivals.com/

delhalew
10/5/2006, 03:40 PM
WOW, just...wow. Unless Reggie is not 100%, I have to question the staffs sanity. Someone enlighten me.

colleyvillesooner
10/5/2006, 03:40 PM
Just says that he will "be involved" in the punt return team. Maybe he's going for blocks or punishing gunners.

but, it also says after he took the week off against MTSU. Only thing he took a week off from was Kickoffs. Me thinks this is a mistake.

Boomer.....
10/5/2006, 03:42 PM
Gut is 11th in the nation? Are you sure you don't mean Reggie Smith?

jwlynn64
10/5/2006, 03:45 PM
Before the Oregon game, Gut was 11th in the nation for Kickoff returns. For Oregon they didn't play him and put AD in.

colleyvillesooner
10/5/2006, 03:46 PM
Before the Oregon game, Gut was 11th in the nation for Kickoff returns. For Oregon they didn't play him and put AD in.

Gute hasn't returned kicks. That was Iglesias and Smith.

The Maestro
10/5/2006, 03:47 PM
Bob Stoops and his $2.5 million salary along with a crystal football and great success tells me this is a GREAT move!

colleyvillesooner
10/5/2006, 03:50 PM
Looks like it was a typo. Someone said the whole article is about kickoff returns.

OnlyOneOklahoma
10/5/2006, 03:54 PM
I like AD on kickoffs it makes the kicker choose the lesser of two evils so to speak when he kicks. But if someone like lendy holmes forgets to pick up his block like he did in MTSU and Adrian gets the sh*t knocked out of him on a punt like Reggie did bc lendy f'ed up, i will be ****ed

Mjcpr
10/5/2006, 03:55 PM
Don't know how people post the articles but here is the link.

http://oklahoma.rivals.com/

Shows what I know, I guess.

jwlynn64
10/5/2006, 03:56 PM
Gute hasn't returned kicks. That was Iglesias and Smith.

Thanks for the correction. I remembered it wrong.

In any case, it just seems strange that he would use AD instead of a player who has proven he can have success at that position without chancing an injury to your star player.

Thanks again.

Scotty
10/5/2006, 03:57 PM
Just says that he will "be involved" in the punt return team. Maybe he's going for blocks or punishing gunners.

You might have hit the nail on the head. I remembered reading this arcticle a while back but I couldn't remember where, so I googled it. Found this one at The Norman Transcript.

Adrian Peterson made his debut as a kick returner against Oregon. Stoops said the rationale is to get the ball in the Heisman Trophy candidate’s hands as much as possible.

It seemed to work. The Ducks kicked the ball to Peterson every time accept the squib kick to Reggie Smith at the end of the game.

Smith, who is averaging 31.7 yards per return couldn’t believe the Ducks would rather have the ball in Peterson’s hands instead of his.

“Everyone has seen what kind of plays he can make,” Smith said, “so I can’t believe anyone would want to give him the ball.”

Stoops said that isn’t the only special teams spot the Heisman Trophy candidate wants to try.

“He’s been badgering me more about being a gunner on our punt team,” Stoops said. “He wants to run down and hit somebody.”

The chances of Peterson finding his way onto the punt team are extremely slim, but he’d probably excel at the job.

“Heck, he would be down on the return man before the ball, I guarantee you that. He would outrun the ball,” Stoops joked. “Shoot, I would be scared that he would just run over the return man whether he caught the ball or not. I think he is so tired of getting hit that he wants to start hitting somebody. I don't think we will go that far with him, but he asks me about it two or three times a week. He would be the best gunner in college football if we would let him."

NormanPride
10/5/2006, 04:00 PM
"And Bouchet is now on offense!"

goingoneight
10/5/2006, 04:02 PM
All I've ever heard and seen from AD is spectacular performance under grueling circumstances... He did a great jorb on his first college shot at kick returns. Let me ask you this, if you're Texass, or anyone else for that matter, DOES IT OR DOES IT NOT strike fear into opponents hearts to see the second or third best KR in the country in Reggie Smith, standing left and the best Running Back in probably a good 15 years or so in Adrian Peterson standing right waiting? Both deliver tremendous blocks and are spectacular runners. Worst case scenario, I don't think I'd wanna take a hit from AD or Reggie if I happened to recover a kick...

fadada1
10/5/2006, 04:09 PM
he "wants to run down and hit somebody"?!??!!?!?!

that's kind of like saying (in a non kellen winslow kind of way), sir, i'd like to storm that NVA bunker on my own, if that's ok with you.

jwlynn64
10/5/2006, 04:39 PM
Just goes to show that AD is tops in more than one way. Not only is he the best RB in the nation but he might have the most fun playing the game as well.

westcoast_sooner
10/5/2006, 06:39 PM
Leave Reggie returning punts, and if he can't then put in someone like Iglesias. I'm not sure I like AD returning kickoffs, even. While I'll agree that it makes the kicker choose between two great players, I'd rather have AD lining up in the backfield than taking a chance with him returning kicks.

delhalew
10/5/2006, 10:44 PM
As much as I would love to see AD knock the bejebus out of a return man, I'd hate to see him get hurt. I know he's tough as nails, but he has a promising career ahead of him still.

Still its good to know he gets that exited and just wants to have. Damn, doesn't he need to stop and breathe every now and then.

The Maestro
10/5/2006, 11:23 PM
Rocket Ishmail and Reggie Bush survived the scary duty of returning kicks. I'd think someone AD's size could muster up the courage to handle the pressure. He's not made of glass, people. Get your best players on the field...always has been Stoops special teams philosophy.

bixby28
10/5/2006, 11:40 PM
I don't think it's a BAD idea to put him on special teams. It's a RISKY move because it makes him a big target for a cheap shot, but he can make things happen.

XUS-KCAM
10/5/2006, 11:47 PM
More than anything, he seem to be a decoy. what do teams do kick it away from AD to Smith. Win Win situation if you ask me. AD has to be one of the toughest SOBs I've seen in some time

Ruuuuuufus
10/5/2006, 11:57 PM
Ismail and Bush didn't usually carry the ball 30 times a game either. In the only game in which AD returned kicks this year he had to come off the field during the 4th quarter and the offense had to settle for another fg... it's understandable why people are reluctant to see him back there. Honestly though you're really only looking at a few more touches per game on KR.

oKOIhoma fan
10/6/2006, 07:05 AM
God I can see it now. Has anyone in RRS history ever had a rushing TD, receiving TD , and kickoff return for TD in the same game? That would be awesome!

BTW :mad: I HATE TEXAS!

sooneron
10/6/2006, 07:11 AM
Ismail and Bush didn't usually carry the ball 30 times a game either. In the only game in which AD returned kicks this year he had to come off the field during the 4th quarter and the offense had to settle for another fg... it's understandable why people are reluctant to see him back there. Honestly though you're really only looking at a few more touches per game on KR.
Or maybe one in the case of this weekend!:D

OU-HSV
10/6/2006, 07:20 AM
I heard on the radio earlier in the week that Reggie had some sort of infection and might not play. Has anyone else heard this?? That's about the only time I would think AD would be considered on Punt Returns, and even then I think we'd use one of the wideouts.

SouthFortySooner
10/6/2006, 11:12 AM
I think he'd have a better chance of missing the gunner than blocking one.

ADs_Agent
10/6/2006, 11:14 AM
it was a typo, AD is returning kick offs, Reggie is still returning punts.

stoopified
10/6/2006, 11:30 AM
No wat Stoops lets AD cover kicks OR punts.That is just AD wanting to other things.I seriously doubt he returns punts either.AD and ENA are TOO valuable to risk needlessly.Reggie has proven HE can do the job on punt returns,but nobody has proven they can Take ADs place at TB.