PDA

View Full Version : GAWD I'm an IDIOT!

achiro
10/5/2006, 10:28 AM
So this morning I am heading out to go to work. I hit the unlock button to open my truck...nothing. Then I put in the numbers on the keypad...nothing. It wouldn't unlock. I tried it several times...nothing. My wife is already gone so I can't try hers. I'm already running a bit late so I'm starting to panic. I run in and call the dealership. The first person I talked to didn't know what to do either(this makes me feel a little better) so he asked someone else... "Can you just unlock it with the key?":confused:
:O ...:( ...:texan:

So I still don't know whats wrong with the auto unlock stuff but its amazing, the old school key actually worked!

Osce0la
10/5/2006, 10:29 AM
heh...and I have to agree with you :D

Hatfield
10/5/2006, 10:29 AM
and all this time i never thought you were a woman.

Osce0la
10/5/2006, 10:30 AM
It's ok, people have stopped using keys, so they freak out and forget they have one and can use it.

Just like people have gotten used to cell phones, so they freak out when they don't have it and forget they got by just fine for years without having one.

critical_phil
10/5/2006, 10:31 AM
telling a story like this isn't going to help your case in the next chiropractors are good/chiropractors suck thread.

i'm just sayin........

crawfish
10/5/2006, 10:39 AM
Hello, BlondeStar?

achiro
10/5/2006, 10:42 AM
What can I say, I'm book smart.:D

Howzit
10/5/2006, 10:45 AM
Don't feel bad, achiro, I do that at least once a week.

Mjcpr
10/5/2006, 10:46 AM
Hello, BlondeStar?

:les:I CAN'T GET OUT OF THE CAR!!

skycat
10/5/2006, 10:47 AM
Don't feel bad, achiro, I do that at least once a week.

And you've passed your genius on to your progeny.

yermom
10/5/2006, 11:04 AM
It's ok, people have stopped using keys, so they freak out and forget they have one and can use it.

Just like people have gotten used to cell phones, so they freak out when they don't have it and forget they got by just fine for years without having one.

dude, that is TOTALLY different!

soonerbrat
10/5/2006, 11:08 AM
my car was doing the same thing..turns out it had an ignition problem...the car "thought" the key was in the ignition and the clicker thingy won't work with the key in the ignition. they had to replace the whole assembly.

SoonerInKCMO
10/5/2006, 11:09 AM
my car was doing the same thing..turns out it had an ignition problem...the car "thought" the key was in the ignition and the clicker thingy won't work with the key in the ignition. they had to replace the whole assembly.

Yeah, but did you have to call the dealer so they could tell you to use the key? :D

Osce0la
10/5/2006, 11:11 AM
I locked my keys in my car once. The clicky thing was on my keyring with the car key, and I never took my spare out of the little console thing between the seats. So the electronic thing, my key, and my spare were all locked in the car. Then I had a new cd player put in and now I can't even use the electronic locking thing.

soonerbrat
10/5/2006, 11:13 AM
Yeah, but did you have to call the dealer so they could tell you to use the key? :D

uh, no.

but i did leave the lights on. when the key is in the ignition, it beeps. when you leave the lights on it makes a single tone...it made the key in the ignition beep instead of the lights on beep and i forgot to turn the lights off. about four times. (i always drive with the lights on, even in the daytime)

mdklatt
10/5/2006, 11:16 AM
Then I had a new cd player put in and now I can't even use the electronic locking thing.

:confused:

yermom
10/5/2006, 11:18 AM
i'm guessing the new radio doesn't tie into something that the factory one did

or that the installers had to reroute something and bungled something ;)

Howzit
10/5/2006, 11:19 AM
And you've passed your genius on to your progeny.

Me too!!!

http://www.codehappy.net/jeannie.jpg

Widescreen
10/5/2006, 11:24 AM
When the Internet goes down at home, I no longer know how to contact anyone that's not in my cell phone speed dial. All of a sudden I have no way to call businesses or know how to get anywhere. My wife reminded me that there's a thing called a "PHONE BOOK" that has a lot of letters and numbers in it that can be helpful.

mdklatt
10/5/2006, 11:27 AM
i'm guessing the new radio doesn't tie into something that the factory one did

What would the radio have to do with the door locks? I don't see why those would be connected at all.

yermom
10/5/2006, 11:28 AM
heh, that one would take a while to think of for me

i freak out when the innerweb is down :D

sanantoniosooner
10/5/2006, 11:28 AM
The species is doomed.

yermom
10/5/2006, 11:29 AM
What would the radio have to do with the door locks? I don't see why those would be connected at all.

some of those factory radios are all kinds of crazy these days

skycat
10/5/2006, 11:32 AM

Both are most likely connected to the car's body controller, which is basically a computer that controls all kinds of things from your radio to your dashboard lights to your intermittent wiper blades. Unplugging various wires could affect what information gets to the controller.

SoonerJack
10/5/2006, 01:04 PM
skycat's right. my son's civic had the factory radio removed long ago. fortunately the installers used the proper combination of duct tape, bailing wire, and zip ties to ensure the alarm and electronic door locks still worked... until he got irritated with the little scrolling alarm light and "removed" it.

The next day the conversation went something like this.
"Dad, my door locks don't work anymore."
"What did you do?"
"Well, I got tired of the scrolling alarm light and took it out."

Yes, I have raised a rocket scientist.