PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever had this done to them?

IB4OU2
10/5/2006, 09:13 AM
http://www.cdiradiology.com/Default.aspx?tabid=257

It's called a Radiofrequency Rhizotomy, I'm having it done tomorrow morning at 6:00 a.m.

Pain sucks.... I hope it works.

IB4OU2
10/5/2006, 11:37 AM
http://www.cdiradiology.com/Default.aspx?tabid=257

It's called a Radiofrequency Rhizotomy, I'm having it done tomorrow morning at 6:00 a.m. and a nurse that used to be a centerfold in
Penthouse will be assisting.

Pain sucks.... I hope it works.

Maybe that will help....Dayum it's hard to get any sympathy around here anymore.....;)

10/5/2006, 11:42 AM
What, they couldn't get you in any earlier?

sooner_born_1960
10/5/2006, 11:52 AM
Can you have sex on it?

mdklatt
10/5/2006, 12:00 PM
The procedure involves destroying the nerves that innervate the facet joints with highly localized heat generated with radiofrequency. By destroying these nerves, the communication link that signals pain from the spine to the brain can be broken.

This sounds like the medical equivalent of turning up the radio volume when your car starts to make a funny noise.

EDIT: Actually, it's more like removing the bulb from the CHECK ENGINE light when you can't figure out what's causing to go on. :twinkies:

Ike
10/5/2006, 12:01 PM
sounds like fun. Just hope they do it in the right place.

NormanPride
10/5/2006, 12:05 PM
Hope it works, man. Pain does indeed suck. :(

yermom
10/5/2006, 12:06 PM
hope it helps man

achiro
10/5/2006, 12:42 PM
destroying the nerves that innervate the facet joints
Nothing, and I repeat, nothing that destroys nerves sounds like a good thing to me.

the communication link that signals pain from the spine to the brain can be broken.
What other communication links are broken besides the pain?

I don't mean to sound uncaring toward your issues, really. I understand pain, I also know it sucks ***, I've been there. I just have huge concerns with procedures like this one that actually comprimise the bodies abilities. It sound like a VERY aggressive step to me which begs the question, what conservative methods have you tried? Chiro, PT, Nutrition, Structural, etc? and define "tried"

BoogercountySooner
10/5/2006, 12:48 PM
Good luck big Brother!

NormanPride
10/5/2006, 12:55 PM
Nothing, and I repeat, nothing that destroys nerves sounds like a good thing to me.

I don't mean to sound uncaring toward your issues, really. I understand pain, I also know it sucks ***, I've been there. I just have huge concerns with procedures like this one that actually comprimise the bodies abilities. It sound like a VERY aggressive step to me which begs the question, what conservative methods have you tried? Chiro, PT, Nutrition, Structural, etc? and define "tried"

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/3057/texcornuo0.gif

10/5/2006, 01:20 PM
I think Achiro makes a good point. Anything that destroys nerves seems pretty drastic.

Mdklatt also makes a good point, although removing a check engine light is certainly a viable option in some circumstances.

Achiro, do you own and operate the Samurai Saki House? If not, I think I am mispronouncing your handle.

Howzit
10/5/2006, 01:24 PM
Good luck, Steve.

The part about enhanced symptoms for up to 4 weeks sounds a little disconcerting. Hope it works for you. And if it does and you have left over Loritab, I'll dispose of them for you.

;)

IB4OU2
10/5/2006, 01:34 PM

Let's see.....I've been through pretty much every method you listed in the last several years from Chiropractic procedures, physical therapy, atleast a half dozen seperate procedures where they mask the pain with injections in the lowerback and constant oral administration of pain/anti inflammatory medication. This procedure is not that radical because it does destroy the nerve but it only lasts 6 months or so and the nerve eventually grows back. I'm really trying to avoid having Major surgery....
but I do understand your concern. :)

Have you had much experience with many post polio syndrome victims?

IB4OU2
10/5/2006, 01:38 PM
Good luck, Steve.

The part about enhanced symptoms for up to 4 weeks sounds a little disconcerting. Hope it works for you. And if it does and you have left over Loritab, I'll dispose of them for you.

;)

I'll think about but I don't know if I can ever give up my Loritab.....I'm hooked on her.;)

achiro
10/5/2006, 03:44 PM
This procedure is not that radical because it does destroy the nerve but it only lasts 6 months or so and the nerve eventually grows back.
OK so it is a temporary thing, that does make a difference I guess. I hope that the cause of the pain stays gone for you though.
Here's my concern in a nutshell. You cut off the innervation to the joint and you will also lose the proprioception of said joint. More and more studies are showing links of proprioception to important functions in the body(like immune function). Anyway, I understand your dilema, pain sucks. I am always concerned when the "solution" is to alter the bodies function, who really knows what the long term effects are. We use to think the tonsils were useless but now we see that they actually have some significant cancer fighting properties.

Have you had much experience with many post polio syndrome victims?
I have had a few patients over the years. Not many though.
I do sincerely wish you the best. I will be very curious as to your results, short and long term. Please keep me up to date.

IB4OU2
10/5/2006, 03:54 PM
OK so it is a temporary thing, that does make a difference I guess. I hope that the cause of the pain stays gone for you though.
Here's my concern in a nutshell. You cut off the innervation to the joint and you will also lose the proprioception of said joint. More and more studies are showing links of proprioception to important functions in the body(like immune function). Anyway, I understand your dilema, pain sucks. I am always concerned when the "solution" is to alter the bodies function, who really knows what the long term effects are. We use to think the tonsils were useless but now we see that they actually have some significant cancer fighting properties.

I have had a few patients over the years. Not many though.
I do sincerely wish you the best. I will be very curious as to your results, short and long term. Please keep me up to date.

Thanks AC, I'll let you know. I'm just trying to get some relief and gearing up for hunting season. :)