PDA

View Full Version : Texas overconfidence

Funky G
10/5/2006, 09:08 AM
The 'Horns are collectively positive they will win this game. I like it. For the last six games haven't they been favored and overconfident for most?

OUmillenium
10/5/2006, 09:12 AM
The 'Horns are collectively positive they will win this game. I like it. For the last six games haven't they been favored and overconfident for most?

Yes, although last year's overconfidence was justified. They forget that if AD would have been healthy, last year's score would have been much closer. Not saying we would have won, but you never know.

2000 63-14
2003 65-13
2006 ?????

:texan: = Custer me the Lakota Sioux

OU-HSV
10/5/2006, 09:13 AM
Tell me about it..read that thread I just posted.

56-39-5
10/5/2006, 09:47 AM
one of y'all linked a thread to hornfans yesterday. many of our own fans predict an ou victory. i haven't seen one ou fan pick texas. i would be shocked if our players were overconfident - enough of them have been here on the losing end of the rrs to know better.

sooneron
10/5/2006, 09:48 AM
one of y'all linked a thread to hornfans yesterday. many of our own fans predict an ou victory. i haven't seen one ou fan pick texas. i would be shocked if our players were overconfident - enough of them have been here on the losing end of the rrs to know better.
I give you credit. You are like a booger in the nostril of life- everyone keeps picking at ya and you keep hanging in there!

ADs_Agent
10/5/2006, 09:54 AM
what's it like to lose 65-13? Wouldn't know never happened to our team.

Jason White's Third Knee
10/5/2006, 09:58 AM

Probably a lot like when we lost 55-19. That sucked.

fadada1
10/5/2006, 10:01 AM
i haven't seen one ou fan pick texas.
we may be slow hillbillies, but we're not stupid.

:D

56-39-5
10/5/2006, 10:02 AM
huh?

saturday will be hard fought. the only way it gets out of hand for either team is if one qb melts down.

OU-HSV
10/5/2006, 10:10 AM
Probably a lot like when we lost 55-19. That sucked.
What's this score you speak of?? ;) :(

fadada1
10/5/2006, 10:14 AM
What's this score you speak of?? ;) :(
yes, i do not recognize this score. is it from some high school basketball game in kalamazoo???

caphorns
10/5/2006, 10:18 AM
You guys seem about the same. Except instead of saying Vince was a sh!tty quarterback, you're explaining how we only won because of him.

colleyvillesooner
10/5/2006, 10:29 AM
I can't remember a year when both sides we're so sure they were gonna win. I mean every year it's kinda like this, but this year has a special "no way we lose" attitude coming from both sides. That said:

OU 30
TX 24

fwsooner22
10/5/2006, 10:29 AM
You guys seem about the same. Except instead of saying Vince was a sh!tty quarterback, you're explaining how we only won because of him.

UT kicked our butts up one side and down the other last year....It was NEVER a game.........It needs to be a game.........The stands don't need to be half empty in the fourth quarter........we did not hold up our end of the bargain last year.......I think we will this year.........In the previous games (2000-2004) ut kept their people in the stands once..........I just hope its a better game......AND WE WIN:D :D :D

TexasLidig8r
10/5/2006, 10:33 AM
Actually.. this is the first year I have seen where the back and forth on here.. the smack has been pretty benign. There have not been any mass banings.. there have not been any melt downs. There's been some good banter but nothing too overly obnoxious.

Are we indeed, reaching a kinder, gentler status between our respective universities? :confused:

caphorns
10/5/2006, 10:34 AM
Sure? There are alot of wise football types (read: frustrated retired high school football coaches) who support our program and say we are going to lose because we didn't hire them as our offensive coordinator. That said:

UT: 24
OU: 7

sooneron
10/5/2006, 10:34 AM
Actually.. this is the first year I have seen where the back and forth on here.. the smack has been pretty benign. There have not been any mass banings.. there have not been any melt downs. There's been some good banter but nothing too overly obnoxious.

Are we indeed, reaching a kinder, gentler status between our respective universities? :confused:
**** OFF WHORN!!!:D

sooneron
10/5/2006, 10:35 AM
UT kicked our butts up one side and down the other last year....It was NEVER a game.........It needs to be a game.........The stands don't need to be half empty in the fourth quarter........we did not hold up our end of the bargain last year.......I think we will this year.........In the previous games (2000-2004) ut kept their people in the stands once..........I just hope its a better game......AND WE WIN:D :D :D
To be fair, in 02, they didn't start to leave until there was about 7 minutes left.

The Maestro
10/5/2006, 10:38 AM
24-7, huh? You recognize that score from the only real game you've played in this year?

I think we will know early. Barring major turnover mistakes, the team that shows they can be in control early will probably just get stronger as the game goes along. texas MUST dominate the line of scrimmage cause their playmakers are somewhat average, in my opinion. They will have to win in a Chicago Bear-ish kind of way. If OU wins, it will be more like the Cincinnati Bengals at their best.

56-39-5
10/5/2006, 10:50 AM
i'm fairly confident that texas' d line will dominate the sooner o line. uab and oregon both penetrated consistently. i don't think our o line will dominate your d line, however. that will be a stalemate, imo.

MiccoMacey
10/5/2006, 10:56 AM
i'm fairly confident that texas' d line will dominate the sooner o line. uab and oregon both penetrated consistently. i don't think our o line will dominate your d line, however. that will be a stalemate, imo.

I honestly think your OLine has a much better chance of run-blocking the carp out of our DLine guys, than your DLine getting through to Thompson.

Both teams will get sacks and hurries...but I like our OLine against your DLine just fine.

OU-HSV
10/5/2006, 10:57 AM
I'm still thinking OU 21 Texas 17 in a good game.

56-39-5
10/5/2006, 11:14 AM
I honestly think your OLine has a much better chance of run-blocking the carp out of our DLine guys, than your DLine getting through to Thompson.

Both teams will get sacks and hurries...but I like our OLine against your DLine just fine.
i'm seriously trying to be objective here, and i think i am. did you not feel like uab and oregon were getting too much consistent penetration? it sure seemed that way to me.

Kingwoodboomer
10/5/2006, 11:16 AM

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!!! :P

Luthor
10/5/2006, 11:19 AM
I can't remember a year when both sides we're so sure they were gonna win. I mean every year it's kinda like this, but this year has a special "no way we lose" attitude coming from both sides. That said:

OU 30
TX 24

I can't remember a year like this when neither team has a significant advantage therefore neither side has any reason to talk meaningless bullsh!t. However, we're all going to keep doing it because we like it!

sooneron
10/5/2006, 11:21 AM
i'm seriously trying to be objective here, and i think i am. did you not feel like uab and oregon were getting too much consistent penetration? it sure seemed that way to me.
On rushing, yes. On passing, not so much. PT has been sacked one more time than your guy has.

colleyvillesooner
10/5/2006, 11:27 AM
I can't remember a year like this when neither team has a significant advantage therefore neither side has any reason to talk meaningless bullsh!t. However, we're all going to keep doing it because we like it!

Yeah, they seemed to go hand in hand.

Partial Qualifier
10/5/2006, 11:30 AM
On rushing, yes. On passing, not so much. PT has been sacked one more time than your guy has.

The pass-protection has been remarkable, young guys notwithstanding. The run-blocking still needs work but I bet a new wrinkle involving the TE's, or just more balls thrown to them can take some pressure off the run-blocking.

I'm glad we have AD for this game :D

Partial Qualifier
10/5/2006, 11:30 AM
However, we're all going to keep doing it because we like it!

It feels natural, doesn't it you ****ING DIP****

;)

caphorns
10/5/2006, 11:39 AM
24-7, huh? You recognize that score from the only real game you've played in this year?

I think we will know early. Barring major turnover mistakes, the team that shows they can be in control early will probably just get stronger as the game goes along. texas MUST dominate the line of scrimmage cause their playmakers are somewhat average, in my opinion. They will have to win in a Chicago Bear-ish kind of way. If OU wins, it will be more like the Cincinnati Bengals at their best.

Oops. I meant to say 24-12. I am confident that we can win the battle of the trenches. Not as dominantly as we did last year, but pretty close.

56-39-5
10/5/2006, 11:47 AM
good point.
but alas, peterson scares the **** out of me even with your crappy run blcoking.

sooneron
10/5/2006, 11:53 AM
As much as I'd love AD to get 180+ yards in this game, I think he will get about 5-5.5 ypc. I hope I'm wrong. If he gets what I think, you guys have held him in check for the most part.

PT will have to beat you ala a texas tech attack with AD getting 25-30 carries. Receptions could be a place where AD can really do some damage in this game.

The Maestro
10/5/2006, 11:58 AM
So Washington and Oregon were successful on defense against us, huh?

I'll take 24 or 27 second half points this Saturday. Just like we did on Washington and Oregon.

caphorns
10/5/2006, 12:07 PM
Washington and Oregon don't have the corners we do. You can't take too much from a high scoring slug fest with a Pac 10 team. It goes with the territory.

56-39-5
10/5/2006, 12:38 PM
So Washington and Oregon were successful on defense against us, huh?

I'll take 24 or 27 second half points this Saturday. Just like we did on Washington and Oregon.
oregon's defensive line looked very effective against the run. and you'll need 24 to 27 second half ponts if you give us 500 yards like you did with them.

SoonerShay
10/5/2006, 12:48 PM
Oregon Offense > Texas Offense

jwlynn64
10/5/2006, 12:48 PM
Washington and Oregon don't have the corners we do. You can't take too much from a high scoring slug fest with a Pac 10 team. It goes with the territory.

Yeah, I can see how your giving up 59% completion percentage on defense hinges on your great corner play. ;)

The Maestro
10/5/2006, 12:55 PM
Yeah, again...I'll take AD getting 140 yards rushing in the 4th quarter again.

Texas won't score 34...even if the refs gift wrap 7 for them.

Good luck to you and all your big time playmakers. Your offense will move the ball. It seems we have always been a "bend don't break" defense. Hell, two years ago when you guys mustered all of ZERO points you crossed midfield all day long. So what? Playmakers gotta make plays and the horns just don't have them like they have in the past. At least I see it that way.

Ash
10/5/2006, 12:56 PM
Oregon Offense > Texas Offense

This is true. Smack talk aside, saxeT's offense isn't as potent as it has been.

Ash
10/5/2006, 01:01 PM
Yeah, I can see how your giving up 59% completion percentage on defense hinges on your great corner play. ;)

Yup, if you want to go by the team numbers Oregon and OU rank ahead of Texas in pass defense, although, so does UAB.

Same goes for receiving (yds + tds)

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/sortableStatsTeam?div=CFB&stype=DEFENSE&stable=passing&stat=passRate&dir=ascending

sooner518
10/5/2006, 01:04 PM
Im much more worried about run blocking than our pass blocking. Every team, Texas included, is going to stack the line to keep AD in check. So far this year, we've had trouble, especially in the 1st half of games, creating holes for him.

Herr Scholz
10/5/2006, 01:18 PM
As much as I'd love AD to get 180+ yards in this game, I think he will get about 5-5.5 ypc. I hope I'm wrong. If he gets what I think, you guys have held him in check for the most part.
Peterson has been averaging 5.5 YPC in your 4 games this season against much weaker rush defenses (160 YPG). I don't see him reaching either of those averages Saturday. 125 yards on 30-35 carries.

caphorns
10/5/2006, 01:33 PM
I was speaking of our starting corners. #5 didn't play the OSU game. Our safeties and LBs (in part) got burned in pass coverage with OSU and ISU. And we played scrubs in the other games who gave up some passing yards. So the statistics are not fully reflective of the quality of our corner play. You may fiind yardage in the zone, but I don't look for your go-to guys in the Oregon game (Kelley and Iglesias) to be as effective. But if our safeties don't get it together I am worried about Gresham and Finley. Less explosive in terms of ability to score and take it to the house, but we may give up yardage in the middle of the field to these guys. Of course they've only collectively accounted for about 150 of your receiving yards, compared to Kelley's whopping 379. Kelley is a stud, but I don't think he's seen starting corners like ours.

caphorns
10/5/2006, 01:44 PM
Here's another comparison for you. Texas is No. 4 in the country with sacks. You guys? Try No. 97.

Ash
10/5/2006, 01:52 PM
Here's another comparison for you. Texas is No. 4 in the country with sacks. You guys? Try No. 97.

Meh. A more impressive stat for you guys is how your D has done against the rush. You have talented players, but as a team they haven't been very impressive against the pass.

OKC-SLC
10/5/2006, 02:03 PM
Texas is No. 4 in the country in sacks licked.
oh

my

god.

colleyvillesooner
10/5/2006, 02:04 PM

That couldn't be because you played teams ranked 27th(3), 61st(3), 85th (4), 93rd (7) and 33rd (in 1AA) (0) in sacks allowed could it?

And please don't give me the, "they're ranked there because of us" line.

OKC-SLC
10/5/2006, 02:08 PM
Are we indeed, reaching a kinder, gentler status between our respective universities?
**** off, dip****.

Luthor
10/5/2006, 02:39 PM
Yeah, they seemed to go hand in hand.

I mean, lord forbid that we turn into what Lid said; kinder and gentler...agh, gag, cough. It would mean there would be nothing left to argue over at that point. No way, it ain't happ'nin, I will by gawd make up somthing first before I allow it to degenrate to that level!
Besides, there are more than enough stupid people on both sides to keep this feud going easily into the next geological era.

mustangsooner
10/5/2006, 02:42 PM

Hey the sun shines on a dogs *** from time to time:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

mustangsooner
10/5/2006, 02:46 PM

I keep hearing about how our O line is so ****ty. They are a very talented group and are probably the best conditioned in the country. That is why AD picks up so many yards at the end of the game. They OUTLAST. :P :P :P :P :P

delhalew
10/5/2006, 02:48 PM
Kelley is a stud, but I don't think he's seen starting corners like ours.

I can't imagine a scenario in which Kelly won't find a way to make his prescence felt.

caphorns
10/5/2006, 02:50 PM
That couldn't be because you played teams ranked 27th(3), 61st(3), 85th (4), 93rd (7) and 33rd (in 1AA) (0) in sacks allowed could it?

And please don't give me the, "they're ranked there because of us" line.

We had 0 sacks against SHSU :)
We sacked Meyer 7.5 times - more than half of their total.
We sacked Troy Smith 3 of the 6 times he's been sacked this year.

I won't bother with Rice (3 sacks) and N. Texas (3 sacks). Why bother.

Have we effected their ranking? You do the math. All I know is that against a mediocre to bad OL like yours, in a game where we played alot of our starters a long time, we kicked ***. We also did better than anyone else against Ohio State - in terms of getting pressure on the QB. So we'll see how Thompson performs under pressure with his favorite targets covered.

Ash
10/5/2006, 02:56 PM

Have we effected their ranking? You do the math. All I know is that against a mediocre to bad OL like yours, in a game where we played alot of our starters a long time, we kicked ***. We also did better than anyone else against Ohio State - in terms of getting pressure on the QB. So we'll see how Thompson performs under pressure with his favorite targets covered.

That's the thing, they won't be covered.

TexasLidig8r
10/5/2006, 02:58 PM
I keep hearing about how our O line is so ****ty. They are a very talented group and are probably the best conditioned in the country. That is why AD picks up so many yards at the end of the game. They OUTLAST. :P :P :P :P :P

Perhaps it's also because OU has faced the (27th -MTSU), (36th - Washington), (56th -- UAB), (62nd -- NIU) and (94th -- Oregon) ranked defenses against the run this year too.

sooneron
10/5/2006, 02:58 PM
There you have it folks, the whorns are going to stack the box to stop Peterson, while blitzing Thompson, and covering all of our receivers. We're screwed.

Ash
10/5/2006, 02:59 PM
There you have it folks, the whorns are going to stack the box to stop Peterson, while blitzing Thompson, and covering all of our receivers. We're screwed.

They're fielding a 22 man defense on Saturday.:rolleyes:

delhalew
10/5/2006, 02:59 PM
Dang! We might as well just stay home.:rolleyes:

colleyvillesooner
10/5/2006, 03:01 PM

And we are the only team to sack Oregon. Big deal. Thing is, stats after 4/5 games don't mean ****. Period. You won't find me bragging up PT's stats (although even you can admit he's better than anyone thought he would be).

colleyvillesooner
10/5/2006, 03:03 PM
Perhaps it's also because OU has faced the (27th -MTSU), (36th - Washington), (56th -- UAB), (62nd -- NIU) and (94th -- Oregon) ranked defenses against the run this year too.

NIU? Oops.

GreaterState
10/5/2006, 03:07 PM

By George, he's got it...

:texan:

jwlynn64
10/5/2006, 03:12 PM
I've noticed that we have had a lot more open receivers this year than in the past three or four years. I attribute this to a healthy AD.

In much the same way that Vince keep defenses closer to the line of scrimmage last year for you guys, AD keeps defenses close for us. Don't be surprised if we have at least one TD of 40+ yards on your D this weekend.

It's simply that defenses cannot adequately cover all our receivers and stack the box at the same time.

Say what you want about our spotty defense this year but our Offense has been working just fine.

Also, having attended all but the Oregon game, I'll let you know that our sack numbers do not adequately reflect our teams ability to get into the back field. Linebackers and defensive backs taking bad angles on blitzes have allowed elusive QBs to run outside when we should have had a sack.

They have seems to fix this since the Oregon game. I wouldn't count on Colt being able to hang in the pocket all day if that is what you are thinking he can do.

sooneron
10/5/2006, 03:15 PM
I've noticed that we have had a lot more open receivers this year than in the past three or four years. I attribute this to a healthy AD.

In much the same way that Vince keep defenses closer to the line of scrimmage last year for you guys, AD keeps defenses close for us. Don't be surprised if we have at least one TD of 40+ yards on your D this weekend.

It's simply that defenses cannot adequately cover all our receivers and stack the box at the same time.

Say what you want about our spotty defense this year but our Offense has been working just fine.

Also, having attended all but the Oregon game, I'll let you know that our sack numbers do not adequately reflect o ur teams ability to get into the back field. Linebackers and defensive backs taking bad angles on blitzes have allowed elusive QBs to run outside when we should have had a sack.

They have seems to fix this since the Oregon game. I wouldn't count on Colt being able to hang in the pocket all day if that is what you are thinking he can do.
Yeah, the numbers don't show it, but we had UW's qb running in circles. I don't think colt is as elusive as he is. He arrowly escaped 4 sacks with a squirrelly spin move.

56-39-5
10/5/2006, 03:18 PM
Yeah, the numbers don't show it, but we had UW's qb running in circles. I don't think colt is as elusive as he is. He arrowly escaped 4 sacks with a squirrelly spin move.
i don't know why you guys are worried about your d vs our o. greg davis will shut us down without your help (though we'll still manage 17).

delhalew
10/5/2006, 03:19 PM
You got it. I've seen good pressure. All I need to see is more disciplined tackling like in the MTSU game.

Ash
10/5/2006, 03:23 PM
i don't know why you guys are worried about your d vs our o. greg davis will shut us down without your help (though we'll still manage 17).

:eek:

heh

sooneron
10/5/2006, 03:30 PM
Double heh

caphorns
10/5/2006, 04:05 PM
And we are the only team to sack Oregon. Big deal. Thing is, stats after 4/5 games don't mean ****. Period. You won't find me bragging up PT's stats (although even you can admit he's better than anyone thought he would be).

PT is better than I though he would be and I am sort of banking that his inability to spread it out effectively comes to bear. If you take away Malcolm Kelley then you limit the passing attack, from my viewpoint.

Stats are never completely meaningless. You certainly can gather that Oregon doesn't have much of a rushing D by this point of the season for example. And you can tell that AD has been terrific, but he hasn't really faced a great Run D. You can also tell that Texas has a terrific run d. That's a good predictor, but it doesn't mean it will hold up.

jwlynn64
10/5/2006, 04:09 PM
PT is better than I though he would be and I am sort of banking that his inability to spread it out effectively comes to bear. If you take away Malcolm Kelley then you limit the passing attack, from my viewpoint.

Stats are never completely meaningless. You certainly can gather that Oregon doesn't have much of a rushing D by this point of the season for example. And you can tell that AD has been terrific, but he hasn't really faced a great Run D. You can also tell that Texas has a terrific run d. That's a good predictor, but it doesn't mean it will hold up.

By the same token, I'm guessing that the plan going into Saturday will have a use the pass to open up the run aspect to it for us.

Don't be surprised if AD isn't run out wide much more on Saturday than they have shown so far.

Ash
10/5/2006, 04:10 PM

Have to disagree cap. The passing game has not been a two-man show, despite what the stats might indicate to you. Kelley is often the deep man although he catches other passes as well. You can count on seeing lots of others out as receivers and PT has shown he can distribute the rock. I agree he hasn't played lights out, and Kelley is da man, but OUs passing game is not just a one-man game.

sooneron
10/5/2006, 04:18 PM
Yeah, stats mean nothing if you don't bother to look any up. I guess we need to get more receivers into the games, cuz the bare minimum of 6 per game getting catches aint gonna cut it. :rolleyes:

UAB - Finley - 4, Kelly/Strong -3 ... : 6 receivers record receptions
UW- Kelly - 6, Iglesias 5, Strong - 4 , ...: 7 receivers " "
UO - Iglesias - 5, Kelly - 3,... : 6 receivers " "
MTSU - Kelly - 5, Iglesias - 4, ... : 6 receivers " "

sooneron
10/5/2006, 04:25 PM
Personally, I think whorn fans are going to have an 03 flashback when they see #9 running all over the field.

caphorns
10/5/2006, 04:27 PM
How about some stats more to the point ron :rolleyes:

Kelley has 4 TDs receiving, compared to 3 TDs from all of your other receivers and TEs combined. No other receiver/TE has more than 1 TD.

Kelley accounts for approximately 40% of your receiving yardage.

The other guys are easy to contain in the middle of the field. Our keys should be to cover Kelley and keep AD contained. It's not a one man show, but these are CLEARLY your playmakers. And I'm not saying this is an easy task, just that I'm confident we have the guys and the coach to get it done and really limit your offense.

sooneron
10/5/2006, 04:32 PM

Kelley has 4 TDs receiving, compared to 3 TDs from all of your other receivers and TEs combined. No other receiver/TE has more than 1 TD.

The other guys are easy to contain in the middle of the field. Our keys should be to cover Kelley and keep AD contained. It's not a one man show, but these are CLEARLY your playmakers. And I'm not saying this is an easy task, just that I'm confident we have the guys and the coach to get it done and really limit your offense.
I'm sorry, did you not say, You doubt if Thompson can spread it around effectively?
Kelly is our most explosive receiver, true. However, there are other guys out ther that have stepped up big this year- Strong, Iglesias, and Finley. You guys should most be worried about Gresham over the middle. He's fast and 6'7. You have VERY little game film on him. This could be his arrival party. In the last game I saw a safety line him up and lay a huge lick on him- it diverted Gresham's path by about a yard as he trotted into the endzone.

jwlynn64
10/5/2006, 04:37 PM

These stats point out the fact that we are not one dimensional. If you sell out to stop AD, Kelley can beat you deep. If you try a two prong approach and scheme to stop AD while giving double coverage to Kelley, Finely, Gresham and Iglasias will beat you down the middle.

I've been saying since the first game that our offense is fixed this year. If the D starts playing up to potential, we shouldn't be scare to play any team, including tOSU.

sooneron
10/5/2006, 04:38 PM
I expect to see us chip our way down the field, ala tech style. 7-15 yard passes are what will be most effective and Iglesias can run after the catch a lot like Clayton. going into this game and expecting us to bomb the whorns is ludicrous.

caphorns
10/5/2006, 04:41 PM
Personally, I think whorn fans are going to have an 03 flashback when they see #9 running all over the field.

So you guys are running the 03 offense? You've got to be joking me if you think that's the case.

We have been burned by the "second" receiver in the Ohio State game. Again, without having No. 7 available. But even looking at that, #9 is not the equivalent of Anthony Gonzalez:

Iglesias 16 catches, 188 yards, 11.75 yards per catch, 1 TD
A. Gonzalez 24 catches, 373 yards, 15.54 yards per catch, 4 TDs

You guys have an enormous tendency to overrate your guys. You had this streak in the Cotton Bowl and get giddy about our offensive coordinator. But our D has pretty much kept you guys at bay with very little scoring since we replaced our DC 3 years ago. Why so arrogant this time around? Your offense looked more solid going into 2004. You didn't exactly rack up the points in that one.

caphorns
10/5/2006, 04:42 PM
I'm sorry, did you not say, You doubt if Thompson can spread it around effectively?
Kelly is our most explosive receiver, true. However, there are other guys out ther that have stepped up big this year- Strong, Iglesias, and Finley. You guys should most be worried about Gresham over the middle. He's fast and 6'7. You have VERY little game film on him. This could be his arrival party. In the last game I saw a safety line him up and lay a huge lick on him- it diverted Gresham's path by about a yard as he trotted into the endzone.

He has 2 catches on the year.

GreaterState
10/5/2006, 04:47 PM

That point is still valid. So Thompson is spreading it around; whether he's doing so effectively is another question.

I agree that Kelly is the playmaker and whether OU wins will depend on whether the other guys can bust plays big time, a la Gonzalez in the UT-tOSU game.

jwlynn64
10/5/2006, 04:50 PM
Maybe we haven't had to go to our second and third receivers very often this year. How many TDs does Pittman compared to AD.

Throwing stats out without regard to thier context is meaningless.

Are you telling me that Gonzalez is tOSUs first read? Maybe Ginn isn't living up to his end of the bargain or teams are selling out to stop Pittman and Ginn leaving Gonzales open.

Is Iglesias having the same success this year that Gonzales is? Not at this point but the season is only 1/3 of the way through. Let the season play out before declaring his season over.

sooneron
10/5/2006, 04:56 PM
Why so arrogant this time around?
Who's being arrogant? You guys are saying how simple it is to pretty much shut down our offense. Whereas, we are refuting.

caphorns
10/5/2006, 04:58 PM
I expect to see us chip our way down the field, ala tech style. 7-15 yard passes are what will be most effective and Iglesias can run after the catch a lot like Clayton. going into this game and expecting us to bomb the whorns is ludicrous.

And I expect you guys to pound away the middle in the running game to try and set up some runs to the outside. I also expect alot of rollouts by PT to try and buy time to find Kelley on double moves. I don't think PT will get that kind of time, but he probably only needs a few of these. So our line needs to be very good and Bobino is a very key player for us. I know there will be dump offs to Iglesias/JJF/ maybe Gresham, but they won't be automatic gold like in your 2000-2003 days when you were still running the spread as your base formation. 2000-2003. I hear what you are saying and it may well work, but it just isn't by all appearances the nature of your team this year.

caphorns
10/5/2006, 05:00 PM
Who's being arrogant? You guys are saying how simple it is to pretty much shut down our offense. Whereas, we are refuting.

How many times have I said that it won't be easy. I think I've said it at least 3 or 4 times. Could be wrong, but I never said it would be easy, just that I was confident we have the personnel and coaches to get it done. I will be disappointed if our D gives up more than 20. Very disappointed and surprised.

jwlynn64
10/5/2006, 05:02 PM
Well, Cap it's been fun but I've got to get out of here and head to the official OU Beat Texas Happy Hour that the OU Club of Dallas is hosting. Have fun.

sooneron
10/5/2006, 05:02 PM
That point is still valid. So Thompson is spreading it around; whether he's doing so effectively is another question.

Only three players with a cum of 5 catches are averaging <10 ypc

The rest are over 10ypc. I'd say that's pretty effective.

caphorns
10/5/2006, 05:04 PM

I agree that Kelly is the playmaker and whether OU wins will depend on whether the other guys can bust plays big time, a la Gonzalez in the UT-tOSU game.

Anthony Gonzalez should be in the Heisman race by now. He's a fantastic receiver. 24 catches/373 yards/4 TDs.

sooneron
10/5/2006, 05:05 PM
How many times have I said that it won't be easy. I think I've said it at least 3 or 4 times. Could be wrong, but I never said it would be easy, just that I was confident we have the personnel and coaches to get it done. I will be disappointed if our D gives up more than 20. Very disappointed and surprised.
As we feel confident about our skill position personnel and pass blocking that we can counter your plan to stop the run first. Yet, we are the arrogant ones.
By the way, in ref to the 03 statement, I was referring to Iglesias being #9. Try to read between the lines every now and then, mmkay?

caphorns
10/5/2006, 05:14 PM
I'd have a similar view of our passing game. We rely too much on Limas Sweed, but not as much as you guys with Kelly. By comparison, Sweed accounts for 32% of our passing yards and 5 of our 11 TDs in the passing game. That's alot, but going down the list, we have 7 different targets with 5catches or more. Our bigger issue is the failure to take our game vertical. So our yards per catch are small. This means we basically chip down the field. Meaning more times that Colt is back in the pocket. More times we put the ball in the air. More ability to run the safeties up to support against the run. All of those things. We get explosion after the catch from Sweed.

However, the way we beat you last year involved alot of Billy Pittman getting upfield vertically. If Colt can find him, he may just run wide open like last year. I won't be surprised . . . but it's not really our nature.

caphorns
10/5/2006, 05:16 PM
As we feel confident about our skill position personnel and pass blocking that we can counter your plan to stop the run first. Yet, we are the arrogant ones.
By the way, in ref to the 03 statement, I was referring to Iglesias being #9. Try to read between the lines every now and then, mmkay?

I know who Iglesias is and maybe he'll have some break out game. It just hasn't been your offense, but sometimes players do break out at the RRS. JC did that to you guys last year. So you never know. I'm just not expecting it.

sooneron
10/5/2006, 05:28 PM
He already had his break out game in the bowl last year. btw

horninokc
10/5/2006, 05:39 PM

I actually expect both Texas and ou to use similar defensive schemes. Both trying to pressure the quarterback and stack against the run. The danger is one of the teams can let a receiver loose for a big gainer.

GreaterState
10/5/2006, 06:17 PM
Only three players with a cum of 5 catches are averaging <10 ypc

I see what you are saying now, but please abbreviate more carefully in the future :D

sooneron
10/5/2006, 08:06 PM
I see what you are saying now, but please abbreviate more carefully in the future :D
heh

now **** off whorn!

Ash
10/5/2006, 08:25 PM
I'd have a similar view of our passing game. We rely too much on Limas Sweed, but not as much as you guys with Kelly. By comparison, Sweed accounts for 32% of our passing yards and 5 of our 11 TDs in the passing game. That's alot, but going down the list, we have 7 different targets with 5catches or more. Our bigger issue is the failure to take our game vertical. So our yards per catch are small. This means we basically chip down the field. Meaning more times that Colt is back in the pocket. More times we put the ball in the air. More ability to run the safeties up to support against the run. All of those things. We get explosion after the catch from Sweed.

However, the way we beat you last year involved alot of Billy Pittman getting upfield vertically. If Colt can find him, he may just run wide open like last year. I won't be surprised . . . but it's not really our nature.

Cap, sorry man, but you're putting way too much stock in this silly percentage of yards number that you've come up with. If you had seen the games (and I'm not saying you haven't seen any, but obviously you haven't watched them all in entirety) you'd know that "PT to Kelly" does not our passing game make. He's a big target and rightfully gets plenty of touches. But, there's a reason he's got the big yards despite the fact, as Sooneron brought up, PT distributes the rock pretty well in games.