PDA

View Full Version : Is Reggie Back to Safety a Done Deal?

PalmBeachSooner
10/5/2006, 09:02 AM
I' so confused when it comes to our defensive backfield. It has been a merry-go-round of players in and out and here and there. I really liked Reggie and Marcus at the corners. I know Nic got burned in the Oregon game but it just seems that him and Jason are the best safeties.

JohnnyMack
10/5/2006, 09:03 AM
Word is Bassey has one more game of eligibility left and will suit up on Saturday.

sooneron
10/5/2006, 09:08 AM
Reggie will be playing safety.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/5/2006, 09:08 AM
because in our defense, bad safety play kills you a lot worse than bad corner play.

PalmBeachSooner
10/5/2006, 09:16 AM
because in our defense, bad safety play kills you a lot worse than bad corner play.

See, I wouldn't have thunk that because it seems like all of the big plays given up this year (other than the ones due to the plethora of missed tackles) and previous years for that matter have been against our CBs. I don't think that it is totally there fault. I'm sure there is a combination of reasons why they seemed to be the ones getting burned. Maybe it's not enough pressure up front or the safety blew an assignment. It's just frustrating we can't settle on a secondary.

So who is playing the corner spot opposite Marcus?

PAW
10/5/2006, 09:20 AM

DJ Holmes, or is it Lendy Wolfe?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/5/2006, 09:46 AM
See, I wouldn't have thunk that because it seems like all of the big plays given up this year (other than the ones due to the plethora of missed tackles) and previous years for that matter have been against our CBs. I don't think that it is totally there fault. I'm sure there is a combination of reasons why they seemed to be the ones getting burned. Maybe it's not enough pressure up front or the safety blew an assignment. It's just frustrating we can't settle on a secondary.

bad corners hurt you if you are playing man behind the blitz. they give up inside leverage or give them too much grass on the boundary and its normally touchdown city. when you play zone, your big problem areas are between the safeties and on the sidelines. in other words, you put your best defensive player in a better position to make plays on deep balls. up until last week, we had played a ton of man behind our constant blitzing. last week, we played zone behind the blitz with reggie securing the top. their QB looked confused which hasn't happened against us in a year and a half. i'm assuming(hoping, praying) that venables is going to stick with what worked.

instigator
10/5/2006, 09:53 AM
The paper today says that DJ i starting at corner.

http://newsok.com/article/2951118/?template=sports/ou

So that should be a DJ and Marcus at corner and Reggie and ? at safety.

sooneron
10/5/2006, 09:57 AM
Nic Harris? Or did Clayton learn how to wrap up?

CtheB
10/5/2006, 10:05 AM
Don't be surprised if you see Reggie play some at corner on Saturday.

sooneron
10/5/2006, 10:06 AM
Don't be surprised if you see Reggie play some at corner on Saturday.
I could see him manning up on sweed in the nickel.

Ash
10/5/2006, 10:59 AM
bad corners hurt you if you are playing man behind the blitz. they give up inside leverage or give them too much grass on the boundary and its normally touchdown city. when you play zone, your big problem areas are between the safeties and on the sidelines. in other words, you put your best defensive player in a better position to make plays on deep balls. up until last week, we had played a ton of man behind our constant blitzing. last week, we played zone behind the blitz with reggie securing the top. their QB looked confused which hasn't happened against us in a year and a half. i'm assuming(hoping, praying) that venables is going to stick with what worked.

right on the money, as usual.

The Maestro
10/5/2006, 11:07 AM
What will be interesting to see is if we play Pleasant or Harris more on defense. We've been running a 4-2-5 for a good portion of the year, which might be based on who we are playing. I know Nic is big, so I can't really see much of a difference between him and Pleasant. Our third linebacker has been a weak spot, so we might be better off with the 5th DB to disguise what we are doing. Just depends on how well the horns are running the ball, I guess.

MiccoMacey
10/5/2006, 12:41 PM
We've been running a 4-2-5 for a good portion of the year, which might be based on who we are playing...

We'll need to run a 5-2-5 to stop their run game. Their OLine is HUGE.