PDA

View Full Version : OU Stats and Notes

The VIIIth
10/5/2006, 08:37 AM
NCAA statistics: The Sooners' 59-0 victory over Middle Tennessee allowed them to climb significantly in the NCAA rankings, particularly on defense. OU was in the bottom 30 in most defensive categories (among 119 teams) but now ranks 56th in total defense (321 yards per game), 60th in pass defense (191.2 ypg), 66th in rushing defense (129.8 ypg) and 41st in scoring defense (17.8 points per game).

OU's offensive numbers also took a step up. OU is 24th in rushing offense (180.2 ypg), 32nd in passing offense (236.2 ypg), 23rd in total offense (416.5 ypg) and ninth in scoring offense (38.2 ppg).

OU's turnover margin of plus-0.50 per game is 37th. The Sooners are also 11th in punt return average (15.9), 17th in kickoff return average (25.4) and 37th in net punting (37.2).

Adrian Peterson ranks third nationally in rushing (160.8 ypg), second in all-purpose yards (195.8 ypg) and sixth in scoring (12.0 ppg). Garrett Hartley is third in field goals per game (2.3) and eighth in scoring (11.2 ppg). Malcolm Kelly ranks 10th in receiving yards per game (94. . Reggie Smith is 11th in punt return average (15.9), Nic Harris is 11th in interceptions per game (.75). Michael Cohen ranks 13th in punting average (43.9).

Play

count: So far this season, Big 12 teams have run a total of 3,793 plays. Through 58 games, that's an average of 65.4 plays per game.

Last season, Big 12 offenses averaged 71.5 plays per game.

Even though teams are running an average of six fewer plays per game, they're still gaining more yards per game than they did last season. Last season's average was 381.2; so far this year, it's 386.6.

That figures to drop, of course, as teams have concluded their nonconference schedules and will face Big 12 teams the rest of the season. Based on last year's league-wide, per-play average of 5.03 yards, Big 12 teams this season project to gain 329.0 yards per game, a drop of 52.2 yards per game off last year's numbers.

No comment: OU senior defensive end Larry Birdine learned from the backlash over his comments prior to the Orange Bowl loss to USC -- something about Heisman winner Matt Leinart being overrated and the Trojans being a one-and-a-half man team. He recently said he didn't know if, given the same situation, he wouldn't feel the same way. But he did say he might not actually say it to a group of reporters.

After an injury cost him all of last season, Birdine had time to reflect on his importance to himself and his team. He was a popular interview subject Tuesday, with another group of reporters hoping he'd say something inflammatory about Texas.

"Been coached, though," he said with a laugh. "A year off the radar, it'll change you for the better. I'm not going to say anything to get them hyped. They know they're a good team. I don't know what they're saying about us. I don't even watch 'SportsCenter' no more. I just watch 'Days of Our Lives.' And cartoons."

Tickets returned: Iowa State has returned approximately 350 tickets for its Oct. 14 game in Norman, and those tickets are on sale for $67 each. They may be purchased online at SoonerSports.com, on the phone at 1 (800) 456-GoOU or in person at the office located on the west side of Memorial Stadium.

instigator
10/5/2006, 09:08 AM
I don't even watch 'SportsCenter' no more. I just watch 'Days of Our Lives.' And cartoons."

Thats some funny stuff.