PDA

View Full Version : WTG ABC!

SoonerBorn68
10/5/2006, 03:53 AM
For your technical glitch that's revealed the name of the "underage" accuser of Mark Foley...which now has been reported as being 18 at the time of the exchange.

At least Fox News only labeled Foley with a D. :rolleyes:

http://drudgereport.com/flashmfa.htm

Believe me, I'm not defending the guy but after yesterday's Fox News slam I think this is poetic justice for an "unbiased mainstream news source." :P

Jerk
10/5/2006, 05:53 AM
That's unbelievable.

ABC News was claiming that he was a minor, while at the same time knowing he was 18.

Oh, wait, that is why I quit watching the MSM long ago.

Okla-homey
10/5/2006, 07:13 AM
Okay, so we have established this is a case of an older gay Congressman with a drinking problem who likes to hit on younger men. Perhaps now the donkey outrage will subside. Or not. Whatever.

This case is 95% about election season politics and I don't believe for a second that either party really gives two hoots about the congressman, or his alleged "victim"

The story only has legs b/c the news media (with the notable exception of Rupert Murdoch's FoxNews) is overwhelmingly donkey -- at least according to all the statistics I've ever seen.

Can we just move on America?;)

leavingthezoo
10/5/2006, 08:14 AM
i think fox is completely irresponsible. i can believe this while also believing ABC and any other news affiliations who are irresponsible are irresponsible. crazy concept, i know. heh.

i'll believe you're not defending the guy when you actually stop defending him. :D even in your link it says the exchanges began prior to his 18th birthday. if i climb down off the donkey, and you quit straddling the elephant- one truth remains the same: foley is a creep. a creep who obviously left a deep and explicit trail. that part, and perhaps that part alone, has NOTHING to do with politics.

Can we just move on America? you first. :D

Fugue
10/5/2006, 08:18 AM
i think fox is completely irresponsible. i can believe this while also believing ABC and any other news affiliations who are irresponsible are irresponsible. crazy concept, i know. heh.

i'll believe you're not defending the guy when you actually stop defending him. :D even in your link it says the exchanges began prior to his 18th birthday. if i climb down off the donkey, and you quit straddling the elephant- one truth remains the same: foley is a creep. a creep who obviously left a deep and explicit trail. that part, and perhaps that part alone, has NOTHING to do with politics.

you first. :D

didn't a political thread like this get you baned before? :D

OklahomaTuba
10/5/2006, 08:21 AM
Last I checked, Fox wasn't forging memos about Bush or misreporting and then covering up facts like this.

leavingthezoo
10/5/2006, 08:32 AM
didn't a political thread like this get you baned before? :D

heh. yes, but this time i'm not calling anyone a pompous jerk. ;) well, except you... :D

leavingthezoo
10/5/2006, 08:34 AM
Last I checked, Fox was changing facts and then considered dropping the misinformation and not replacing it with the proper information a correction.

same coin, different sides. and both of 'em are dumbing down america.

Fugue
10/5/2006, 08:36 AM
heh. yes, but this time i'm not calling anyone a pompous jerk. ;) well, except you... :D

no worries, that's ASSumed anyway. :cool:

Hatfield
10/5/2006, 08:44 AM
That's unbelievable.

ABC News was claiming that he was a minor, while at the same time knowing he was 18.

Oh, wait, that is why I quit watching the MSM long ago.

you realize that the emails and text messages are a few years old right? and if he is 18 now.......

if the kid was a minor at the time the story broke then there is no way his identity should be revealed....if he is now 18 then the water gets a bit murky to should his identity be revealed.

however i am sure he was told it wouldn't be so it is shameful that it occured.

but i am also sure you defenders of the "typo" will see this as the meaningless error it is. :rolleyes:

Okla-homey
10/5/2006, 08:54 AM
same coin, different sides. and both of 'em are dumbing down america.

Zoo,

With all the respect and deference in the world, I must point out that throughout American history, the press has had axes to grind and have been responsible for causing and exploiting deep rifts in our society.

I'm reminded of a few of William Randolph Hearst's (the father of American "big media") statements to his illustrators just prior to the Spanish-American War when his news syndicate almost singlehandedly whipped-up war frenzy: “You furnish the pictures and I'll furnish the war.”

Hearst also said: “You can crush a man with journalism.”

and finally: “Don't be afraid to make a mistake, your readers might like it.”

In some ways, it's the simply the cost of doing business in a free society in which the press is not owned or subsidized by the government. Since that is blessedly the case, it stands to reason they print and broadcast stories which are controversial and designed to capture folks' attention in order to sell papers and get good ratings so they can stay in the business of making a profit.

I'm afraid there is not now, nor has their ever been, an American media outlet that consitently produces stories which are factually accurate and truly objective. If they tried, that source couldn't survive in the market and would quickly go bust.

The best advice I can give is for people to view multiple news sources and make up their own minds about what's really going on. Unfortunately, most folks are too lazy to do that.

KaiserSooner
10/5/2006, 09:05 AM
Whew. Thank God the dude was 18, not 17.

Because that makes it ethically sound for superiors in the workplace to sexually accost those below them.

JohnnyMack
10/5/2006, 09:11 AM
Yes Kaiser, that makes it all better.

jeremy885
10/5/2006, 09:13 AM
you realize that the emails and text messages are a few years old right? and if he is 18 now.......

if the kid was a minor at the time the story broke then there is no way his identity should be revealed....if he is now 18 then the water gets a bit murky to should his identity be revealed.

however i am sure he was told it wouldn't be so it is shameful that it occured.

but i am also sure you defenders of the "typo" will see this as the meaningless error it is. :rolleyes:
21 now
18 at the time of the IM that ABC is running

Hatfield
10/5/2006, 09:16 AM
yes I see that my numbers were off. However the article posted indicates from the news source that the one specific IM convo is from when he was 18 but the convos happened prior to and after the 18th birthday.

NormanPride
10/5/2006, 09:17 AM

Because that makes it ethically sound for superiors in the workplace to sexually accost those below them.

Look, I think he's a creep too, but I really want to stop this public witch hunt. To me, he doesn't sound like a pedophile anymore, just a creepy old gay dude. He shouldn't be in the position he was, but I don't think we should ruin his life any more than we already have. Unless, of course, more comes out about him doing nasty things with younger kids.

JohnnyMack
10/5/2006, 09:18 AM
1. Mark Foley is a scumbag piece of sh*t who is getting what he deserves.

2. Each and every media outlet in the country has an agenda.

The end.

Hatfield
10/5/2006, 09:21 AM
Look, I think he's a creep too, but I really want to stop this public witch hunt. To me, he doesn't sound like a pedophile anymore, just a creepy old gay dude. He shouldn't be in the position he was, but I don't think we should ruin his life any more than we already have. Unless, of course, more comes out about him doing nasty things with younger kids.

it should also be noted that the page talked about in the oklahoman article is noted as being 16 and 17 during his time as a congressional page.

for clarity's sake.

NormanPride
10/5/2006, 09:23 AM
"Sixteen and seventeen..."

I'll stop now...

BajaOklahoma
10/5/2006, 09:38 AM
1. Mark Foley is a scumbag piece of sh*t who is getting what he deserves.

2. Each and every media outlet in the country has an agenda.

The end.

Best summary of the facts. :D

mdklatt
10/5/2006, 09:51 AM
For your technical glitch that's revealed the name of the "underage" accuser of Mark Foley...which now has been reported as being 18 at the time of the exchange.

There's more than one accuser, right?

handcrafted
10/5/2006, 09:52 AM

Signed,

Bill Clinton

I think it's time that America moves on.

picasso
10/5/2006, 09:54 AM

you first. :D
16 is legal in D.C..

just sayin.

KaiserSooner
10/5/2006, 09:55 AM
Heh. You all should head on over to Drudge. At the top of his page he has a link to an Oklahoman article that states one of the pages in question is now working for Istook's gubernatorial campaign, and that page has now hired Stephen Jones, Timothy McVeigh's one-time attorney. The article isn't exactly clear on what role this particular page had with Mark Foley's business.

Sheesh, it's a small world.

picasso
10/5/2006, 09:59 AM
Heh. You all should head on over to Drudge. At the top of his page he has a link to an Oklahoman article that states one of the pages in question is now working for Istook's gubernatorial campaign, and that page has now hired Stephen Jones, Timothy McVeigh's one-time attorney. The article isn't exactly clear on what role this particular page had with Mark Foley's business.

yeah I saw that on the local news last night.

I could care less. Repub or Dem.

leavingthezoo
10/5/2006, 12:29 PM
no worries, that's ASSumed anyway. :cool:

oh man... you are so sly. :mad:

JohnnyMack
10/5/2006, 12:33 PM

Any chance the page was Sic em?

I mean it could be Sic em. Couldn't it?

Fugue
10/5/2006, 12:33 PM
oh man... you are so sly. :mad:

you better tell your kitty to step off.

KABOOKIE
10/5/2006, 01:38 PM
I'm afraid there is not now, nor has their ever been, an American media outlet that consitently produces stories which are factually accurate and truly objective. If they tried, that source couldn't survive in the market and would quickly go bust.

Air America? :D

Dio
10/5/2006, 01:51 PM
Any chance the page was Sic em?

I mean it could be Sic em. Couldn't it?

Did any of the IM's mention Zima?