PDA

View Full Version : Nice to hear a little about JD.

mikeb
10/4/2006, 09:05 PM
October 4, 2006

Runnels wowed by home-field advantage
By Larry Mayer

Rookie fullback J.D. Runnels, a sixth-round draft pick from Oklahoma, shares his thoughts in a weekly diary on ChicagoBears.com:

The atmosphere for Sunday night’s nationally televised game at Soldier Field was absolutely amazing. For everything that it was hyped up to be, the crowd actually exceeded the hype. Every time the Seahawks got the ball, it was incredibly loud. Hopefully the fans can keep that up.

One of our goals is to win all of our home games, and if our fans are like that for all of our home games, a lot of opposing offenses are going to have a lot of trouble when they’re out on the field. As an offense, you want to set a tone and play with a sense or urgency, but our fans do a great job of taking both of those aspects away.

If visiting teams can’t come in and call the plays that they want to call at the line of scrimmage because they’re having trouble communicating, that’s going to be a big problem for them.

In terms of our offense, Sunday night’s performance was tremendous. It all starts up front for us. We depend so much on our offensive line in each game and they show up every week. It seems like it’s just a matter of who’s going to make the plays to win in that particular game.

It seems like there’s hardly ever anybody near Rex Grossman, and he makes really good throws. We have to credit the five guys up front and also the quarterback for making those throws. If we keep playing like we do up front and Rex keeps playing the way he is, it’s just going to be a matter of different guys making plays at different times.

Off the field, I just closed on a home that a recently purchased. Having money in my pocket is good, but it really lets me know how much I need to save because whenever I start spending I get so paranoid and so freaked out that I need to save. After dropping such a large portion of my salary in a house, I’m going to try to save every penny that I can.

While we’re preparing to play the Buffalo Bills Sunday, this is also rivalry weekend for Oklahoma and Texas. (Former Texas star) Cedric Benson and I talk about it all the time. Those were some of the best games we’ll ever play in. But like coach Bob Stoops told us when I played at Oklahoma, the university was there before us and it’ll be there after we leave.

Our time has passed. It’s their time to shine.

swardboy
10/4/2006, 09:13 PM
I mean, I'm sure we have had our share of jacka$$es, but some of the young men that go through our program are the salt of the earth.....

sooneron
10/4/2006, 09:36 PM
He's an all-class team Sooner.

TheUnnamedSooner
10/5/2006, 07:53 AM
Awesome! Good luck JD