PDA

View Full Version : I'm Concerned About the Line Of Scrimmage

Rogue
10/4/2006, 07:38 PM
Skill positions are pretty even, UT has a great D-coordinator now, and we have another solid ST unit.

Other than our talent and dept at Defensive End, I'm worried about our interior D-line and our O-line. Trying to be objective I usually think that most games are won by blocking and tackling. Not exactly our strong suits thus far into the season.

I need just a little reassurance here from someone looking through crimson-colored glasses. Other than feeling pretty calm about the game this year, why will we beat Texas? :confused: Will our O-line suddenly be better at run-blocking? Will KW's schemes beat the horns? Will the DTs show up strongly or even dominate?

Lay it on me Soonerfans. Or I'm gonna have to start drinking early.

BOOMERBRADLEY
10/4/2006, 07:43 PM
Every team plays up for a rivalry game. This game will come down to who makes mistakes and who doesn't. I am also trying to be objective, but I think OU's offense is potent enough to outscore Texas easily. Their D is undoubtedly good, but like I said its all about mistakes.

I think PT will have a nice day and throw no picks. I also think AD will have a really big day. Colt will throw one int. that seals the deal for an OU victory

bixby28
10/4/2006, 08:16 PM
Line of scrimmage will be the key to beating Texass this year. Our DLine has to play well, period.

Texas Golfer
10/4/2006, 08:50 PM
Our defense will have to play better than they have thus far this season.

westcoast_sooner
10/4/2006, 08:51 PM
Yep - our D Line has to play well, we have to get pressure on Colt, and have to stop their running game. I think in the rivalry game, and with two weeks to prepare, the guys will be ready. Against MTSU, they played with some attitude, and likely can't wait to get out there and play again.

Our O-Line has played better than expected so far. It won't be easy, because they will try and pressure PT, and stop AD. I'm sure KW will have a game plan that will handle that.

mikeelikee
10/4/2006, 09:29 PM
Yes, our defense will have to play better than they have so far this season--just like they were able to do in the 2000 RRS, one week after a mediocre Kansas team passed for around 300 yards on us.

Rogue
10/4/2006, 09:33 PM
"Dept" at defensive end. Oh well.

Y'all aren't very reassuring. I'm giving this thread until tomorrow and then if I don't get some satisfaction, I'm goin' straight to the liquor!

T_Boner
10/4/2006, 09:40 PM
Skill positions are pretty even, UT has a great D-coordinator now, and we have another solid ST unit.

Other than our talent and dept at Defensive End, I'm worried about our interior D-line and our O-line. Trying to be objective I usually think that most games are won by blocking and tackling. Not exactly our strong suits thus far into the season.

I need just a little reassurance here from someone looking through crimson-colored glasses. Other than feeling pretty calm about the game this year, why will we beat Texas? :confused: Will our O-line suddenly be better at run-blocking? Will KW's schemes beat the horns? Will the DTs show up strongly or even dominate?

You pretty much nailed it...your concern is valid...KW is going to need to be unpredictable and keep them off balance until they wear down...then it's AD time. BV better have them playing their gaps and tackling well to slow down their running game and forcing them into passing on 3rd and long.

rainiersooner
10/5/2006, 12:25 AM

Uh, how about...it can't get worse? Granger has shown flashes, but neither Coleman nor Bennet have impressed. Dusty used to get double teamed which freed up Thibodeaux and Ah You last year. I think it will come down to whether or not Granger has a break out game or not. Because if we don't get pressure on Colt McBoy, I don't want the game coming down to Wolfe/Walker v. Sweed in one on one coverage, right?

yermom
10/5/2006, 12:30 AM
our run game has been a bit slow, but comes on late, it's not like it's been bad... but the defense may need to keep us in it for a while

it seemed like last year we couldn't really even get to VY when we sold out to do it... hopefully the DTs can have a good game and get some pressure with the front 4, that may be wishful thinking though

and hopefully they were practicing their tackling some more :D

ouwasp
10/5/2006, 12:47 AM
mikeelikee said something that buoyed my spirits......I was at that KU game in 2000. I remember leaving thinking "Well, glad we finally asserted ourselves in the 2nd half against Kansas, don't think that's gonna get it done angainst texas though..."

A week later I learned (along with the college football world) what real "assertivenes" was :eek:

So maybe we shall all be pleasantly surprised again.....

rainiersooner
10/5/2006, 12:51 AM
mikeelikee said something that buoyed my spirits......I was at that KU game in 2000. I remember leaving thinking "Well, glad we finally asserted ourselves in the 2nd half against Kansas, don't think that's gonna get it done angainst texas though..."

A week later I learned (along with the college football world) what real "assertivenes" was :eek:

So maybe we shall all be pleasantly surprised again.....

Fair enough. Hope springs eternal.

Rogue
10/5/2006, 04:37 PM
Well, I'm a little lifted, but gonna start on the beer just in case.

I'm hoping we can minimize mistakes and pressure McCoy. That would be a good scenario.

BigDeezy
10/5/2006, 04:51 PM
I agree. This game will be won or lost in the trenches.

fadada1
10/5/2006, 04:55 PM
no doubt we have to put pressure on the boy, but i don't think it always has to come from the front 4. well timed and well disguised blitzes by the LB corp and safety (even an occasional corner blitz) will make ponyboy a little gun shy for sure. if our front 4 can keep the middle clogged up for any runs up the middle, i think our D will have a god deal of success. if their O-line can start pushing our guys around, we'll have to rely too much on our LBs for tackles.

Rogue
10/5/2006, 04:56 PM
no doubt we have to put pressure on the boy, but i don't think it always has to come from the front 4. well timed and well disguised blitzes by the LB corp and safety (even an occasional corner blitz) will make ponyboy a little gun shy for sure. if our front 4 can keep the middle clogged up for any runs up the middle, i think our D will have a god deal of success. if their O-line can start pushing our guys around, we'll have to rely too much on our LBs for tackles.

'Zacktly!

soonercody
10/5/2006, 09:10 PM
Other than feeling pretty calm about the game this year, why will we beat Texas?

-We've had 2 weeks to prepare for this game.
-AD
-Senior QB vs. Freshman
-Bob > Mack

Will our O-line suddenly be better at run-blocking?
They have pass blocked well and, although they haven't dominated early in the games, they seem to be in great condition and push people around in the 4th quarter. We'll see some of that Saturday too.

Will KW's schemes beat the horns?
We'll have some success with schemes, we don't need to rely solely on schemes to win because we have much talent in the backfield and, as you said, at the skill positions.

Will the DTs show up strongly or even dominate?

Here is the big question, in my mind. I hope we can stop the run early and get some pressure on Colt. Otherwise, it could be a nail-biter.

Pace yourself, man. Breathe...relax.

BOOMER!

bixby28
10/5/2006, 11:44 PM
The Sooner OLine hasn't played well all year. They can pass block, but they are not dominant run blockers. At each home game i attended (Washington & MTSU) the offensive line struggled when they ran the ball, it was pathetic. These guys aren't terrible, but they are just too green to be a dominant run blocking front-5.

Peterson, run for your life!

TexasLidig8r
10/6/2006, 10:23 AM
The problem my Longhorns are going to have running the ball is that for the most part, Texas has been successful NOT between the guards, but off tackle and around the ends.

We still run (or try to run), the zone read play. This results in the running back hitting the hole off tackle for the most part. Therefore, if your DEs can get a push straight up field and pinch the play inside, even though our GCG combination is pretty strong, the speed of Charles/Young will be negated a bit by running between the big uglys. If your DEs can't get a push and get outside containment, there could be a number of long sustained drives against your defense which will undoubtedly result in your defensive front wearing down in the 4th.

Soonerus
10/6/2006, 10:35 AM
The problem my Longhorns are going to have running the ball is that for the most part, Texas has been successful NOT between the guards, but off tackle and around the ends.

We still run (or try to run), the zone read play. This results in the running back hitting the hole off tackle for the most part. Therefore, if your DEs can get a push straight up field and pinch the play inside, even though our GCG combination is pretty strong, the speed of Charles/Young will be negated a bit by running between the big uglys. If your DEs can't get a push and get outside containment, there could be a number of long sustained drives against your defense which will undoubtedly result in your defensive front wearing down in the 4th.

Hope rings eternal for TexasLidig8r, Esquire...

FlatheadSooner
10/6/2006, 11:40 AM
We will be in the thick of it if we cover the basics of tackling. That is what put us in the tough positions in first 3 games. Let's hope that MTSU was a true data point of progression. :O

Besides the first game against AUB, we haven't used our TE's much. I'm hoping they wreak havoc in this game. :cool:

I think it's going to be a helluva game!!!! :)

The only thing YOU can do is to presoak with several cold ones to calm your nerves - and continue the onslought of harrassing Whorns.

ashley
10/6/2006, 04:52 PM
We are definetly not as good on both fronts. We win if we win the field position and turnover battle, whitch is of course kicking, fumbles and interceptions. field position, field position. Can I say it enough. It is always big, but in big, close games, it is often the decider.

FlatheadSooner
10/6/2006, 07:30 PM
We are definetly not as good on both fronts. We win if we win the field position and turnover battle, whitch is of course kicking, fumbles and interceptions. field position, field position. Can I say it enough. It is always big, but in big, close games, it is often the decider.

She's a whitch - burn her, burn her. How will we know she's a whitch? She'll float. What else floats? Ducks! Correct. What else? Uh, very small rocks.

Rogue
10/7/2006, 08:11 AM
She's also right!

AzianSooner
10/7/2006, 08:35 AM
BEAT THE HELL OF TEXASS WHORNS

Rogue
10/7/2006, 10:49 AM
I predicet PT is gonna have a big day. We haven't used his mobility much and usually we break out the option in the red zone against texas. He'll throw for a couple and run for one today. Meanwhile AD is gonna reclaim his Heisman front-runner status (not that he's done anything to lose it) while texas puts up a helluva game for 3 or so quarters. OU dominates in the 4th and goes on to win, running away.

And, NO, I haven't started drinking yet.

mustangsooner
10/7/2006, 10:55 AM
Our offensive line may not be the best. I think they are probably the most conditioned. They start to dominate at the end of the game.;)

soonercody
10/7/2006, 01:51 PM
I'm gaining confidence with each passing hour. And each beer.

Rogue
10/7/2006, 06:16 PM
Well, both lines looked terrible today.
I'm still concerned for the rest of the season.

soonercody
10/7/2006, 08:25 PM

Prophetic post of the year.

We need some big-eaters that are mean and nasty.

soonercody
10/7/2006, 08:26 PM

The witch is a prophet too!

ashley
10/8/2006, 06:56 AM
I mentioned field position and turnovers but failed to mention the refs and penalities. I thought the D played better than I thought they would.