PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone expect ENA to play THIS well?

stoopified
10/4/2006, 03:59 PM
I for one have to admit I did not.I wast just hoping that we would be able to complete 50% of our passes and not throw more oskies than TDS.The only clue I had we MIGHT be better than expected was I felt Coach was selling our offense to the media based pretty much on AD.Given his penchent for not tipping his hand,I did start to think there HAD to be a reason for the closed practices.I would say Paul.especially operating at the level he has was the ACE that Bob was holding back in preseason.I hope that Paul continues to play at his current high level ,he deserves all the credit he gets for leading this team.Win or lose I am a lifelong Paul Thompson fan.

yermom
10/4/2006, 04:07 PM
nope. though i wasn't expecting a lot less or anything

i'll be sad to see him go after this year...

soonervegas
10/4/2006, 04:08 PM
Nope. Sure wish he was a Junior.

cwood60
10/4/2006, 04:11 PM
No....I thought the D would carry the team. Not the other way around.

yermom
10/4/2006, 04:12 PM
ain't that the truth :(

fwsooner22
10/4/2006, 04:15 PM
Turnovers.........Please hold the turnovers

OUstud
10/4/2006, 04:21 PM
When he's clicking on slants with Kelly, whether they are deep or short, it is beautiful.

1991SOONER
10/4/2006, 04:28 PM
I'm completely in awe of both him and AD, period.

If we didn't have the problems on defense we've had, this year would definitely be NC #8 IMO. Who knows, still could be...

BigRedJed
10/4/2006, 04:32 PM
I'm not surprised. I was really looking forward to him playing last year, and was hugely disappointed when he lost the starting job. That said, I got behind his replacement and was thrilled at the progress he made.

It always irritated me to hear people assume Paul would be a running QB, even though it was well documented that he was in many ways a classic pocket passer when he was recruited. Frankly, his replacement was more of a scrambler in high school than PT ever was.

On the rare times I had seen Thompson throw, and in listening to people close to the program, it was obvious that he had a really good arm. He had multiple years of being understudy to some amazingly good QBs. He has always been universally credited with being really bright. Heck, he SHOULD be a really good QB.

Although we all knew he had a poor game, I always thought he ended up with way too much blame for the TCU game. The O-line was horrific at that point, and TCU was far better than we thought.

So no, I'm not surprised. But I am thrilled.

SouthFortySooner
10/4/2006, 04:50 PM
Not at all. Boomer :D

westcoast_sooner
10/4/2006, 04:59 PM
See other threads for my response on this. But, I could NOT be happier for a guy who has gone above and beyond for this team. Go Paul. I hope he has a great day on Saturday.

goingoneight
10/4/2006, 05:09 PM
Let's just say he had knee surgery in 2003 and in 2005 again for a medical RS. Then we can find a non-BRSI excuse to keep AD... WE'RE SET!!!

Now... about Rufus...

setem
10/4/2006, 05:19 PM
http://img2.imagepile.net/images/Soonerpsycho/90274ptjules.jpg

Ash
10/4/2006, 05:26 PM
http://img2.imagepile.net/images/Soonerpsycho/90274ptjules.jpg

speaking of which, I was kinda hoping we'd get a Pulp Thompson RRS edition post.

:pop:

Big Red Ron
10/4/2006, 06:18 PM
I did, and I'd ilke to take this opportunity to "give it up to myself."

:D

yermom
10/4/2006, 06:22 PM
i said if he played about this well, we'd go undefeated

i was almost right so far :D

but it wasn't really him that caused the problems...

Octavian
10/4/2006, 06:26 PM
i said if he played about this well, we'd go undefeated

i was almost right so far :D

but it wasn't really him that caused the problems...

if only the Pac10 would've let him in the booth...;)

olevetonahill
10/4/2006, 06:29 PM
[QUOTE=BigRedJed]I'm not surprised. I was really looking forward to him playing last year, and was hugely disappointed when he lost the starting job. That said, I got behind his replacement and was thrilled at the progress he made.

It always irritated me to hear people assume Paul would be a running QB, even though it was well documented that he was in many ways a classic pocket passer when he was recruited. Frankly, his replacement was more of a scrambler in high school than PT ever was.

On the rare times I had seen Thompson throw, and in listening to people close to the program, it was obvious that he had a really good arm. He had multiple years of being understudy to some amazingly good QBs. He has always been universally credited with being really bright. Heck, he SHOULD be a really good QB.

gotta say a ditto here
however after he was slammed back into the starting job i was concerned about him being a lot rusty :(
Although we all knew he had a poor game, I always thought he ended up with way too much blame for the TCU game. The O-line was horrific at that point, and TCU was far better than we thought.

Pepper
10/4/2006, 10:47 PM
Playing this good? According to the experts at ESPN he sucks. We are a one man team and our offense is struggling.

Soonerus
10/4/2006, 10:52 PM
PT has been the surprise of the year in the nation....

westcoast_sooner
10/4/2006, 11:12 PM
Yeah - you have to love a guy that does whatever he can to help the TEAM. I'm sure in his mind last year, he really wanted to be the QB, and had to do double-duty in practice as whatshisname's backup and learn the WR position.

But to embrace the opportunity that basically fell in his lap, after we had gone out and recruited a couple of other guys, and to play so well, I think that says a lot about his character.

Joe Kane
10/4/2006, 11:14 PM
I expected him to play well. Heck, he reminds me a little of myself.

sanantoniosooner
10/4/2006, 11:30 PM
PT has been the surprise of the year in the nation....
nationally huh?

Don't get out much do you.

Soonerus
10/4/2006, 11:43 PM
nationally huh?

Don't get out much do you.

Who else ?

sanantoniosooner
10/4/2006, 11:50 PM
I would say that ND and Michigan State both sucking horribly is some of the biggest surprises nationally. The kid from Northern Illinois has more national press.

I have heard more national talk about Bomar and the duck refs than PT.

If he continues to improve each week, he will be a big national story later in the season. But right now he's mostly a footnote. Unless you're a Sooner.

Soonerus
10/4/2006, 11:53 PM
You just like to argue...that's OK...

sanantoniosooner
10/4/2006, 11:57 PM
To get back to the original topic.

I had hopes that he might relax a little since there wasn't a competition for the position. He has progressed greatly without looking over his shoulder.

I'm still impressed though.

setem
10/5/2006, 12:09 AM
As soon as my fark request is met I can post Pulp Thompson RRS edition.

rainiersooner
10/5/2006, 12:17 AM
I'm completely in awe of both him and AD, period.

If we didn't have the problems on defense we've had, this year would definitely be NC #8 IMO. Who knows, still could be...

I still think our d problems can be corrected. People start making those tackles and we shut down 25% of the yards on us. Maybe a big break-out on Saturday?

BIG_IKE
10/5/2006, 07:11 AM
Who else ?

Not to be a downer...
but his numbers really are not even better than Colt McCoys..

Joe Kane
10/5/2006, 07:23 AM
Not to be a downer...
but his numbers really are not even better than Colt McCoys..
What do you think McCoy's numbers would be if he had Peterson? I know that I would not have been a Heisman front runner if Darnell Jefferson had been starting from the get go.

tigepilot
10/5/2006, 08:44 AM
Yes I did. I've watched him practice since he was a true freshman and watched him in clean-up and thought he would be a good quarterback. I was surprised at his performance in his first start last year and didn't think he got a fair shake. I did understand why the coaches went with Bomar at the time though.

I did think if he played this well this year OU would be undefeated going into Dallas (and they still should be) but I was also expecting the defense to be better.

Jason White's Third Knee
10/5/2006, 08:51 AM
I did. I predicted the Sooners to go undefeated and to win the national title outright. My prediction is iron clad and infallable.

BIG_IKE
10/5/2006, 09:11 AM
What do you think McCoy's numbers would be if he had Peterson? I know that I would not have been a Heisman front runner if Darnell Jefferson had been starting from the get go.

I don't think it would matter really, Texas has more rushing yards than we do.
We average more passing than we do rushing.

sooneron
10/5/2006, 09:23 AM
I don't think it would matter really, Texas has more rushing yards than we do.
We average more passing than we do rushing.
Gotta disagree. Texas doesn't have the hoss that AD is. JC and Young are not the type that you say, "we're putting the ball in your hands from here on out" and riding you to victory.
If mack had AD, they would run the ball 90% of the time.

Also, look at the competition that McCoy has faced. Unt- sucks, SHSU- sucks, Rice- eh just above sucking, isu - pretty good, tOSU- we all know that they are good, but how all world were they the second game of the season? I would rate their comp. on the D side of the ball around a 5, with most of that being due to tOSU- Not to mention, not leaving the state of texas thus far.Rice was merely appeasing the exes in the Houston area. That was a ut home game. I would say our's has been around a 6.5 - 7, competition-wise.

sooneron
10/5/2006, 09:31 AM
Please allow me to extrapolate some more.

PT has more yards passing on fewer completions. He only has one more int to Colt's two more tds. All of this behind what is supposedly not a great OL. I will readily concede that ut's OL is way ahead of our's. Yet, you're moping about a qb that is rated 14th in the country and was taking snaps/training as a receiver exclusively from Jan until Aug of this year. Colt is 8th on the list.
If you had told ANYONE (exception of KelloggOU/85Sooner) on here on Aug 4th, that PT's rating would be above 160 going into texas, they would have laughed your *** off the board.

BIG_IKE
10/5/2006, 09:45 AM
Please allow me to extrapolate some more.

PT has more yards passing on fewer completions. He only has one more int to Colt's two more tds. All of this behind what is supposedly not a great OL. I will readily concede that ut's OL is way ahead of our's. Yet, you're moping about a qb that is rated 14th in the country and was taking snaps/training as a receiver exclusively from Jan until Aug of this year. Colt is 8th on the list.
If you had told ANYONE (exception of KelloggOU/85Sooner) on here on Aug 4th, that PT's rating would be above 160 going into texas, they would have laughed your *** off the board.

True indeed. I think it PT had the Whorn OL it would be even higher...you know what? No I don't because honestly...despite what we say about our O-Line. Paul has not been pressured much to me. They have done OK as far as blocking for him goes. And no, JC or Young cannot match AD I was just pointing out that they run more than we do.

setem
10/5/2006, 10:26 AM
...I did! I did not think he got a fair shake last season. After they put Bomar in I did not want them to take him out because the 2QB system has yet to work. If you have 2QB's you have no QB.

Wishboned
10/5/2006, 11:41 AM
I had all the faith in the world in PT.

And I couldn't be happier at what he's doing week in and week out. That young man just might be the most dedicated Sooner to ever put on a uniform.

ADs_Agent
10/5/2006, 11:45 AM
I expected him to play well. Heck, he reminds me a little of myself.

before or after Joe Kane went into rehab?