PDA

View Full Version : Cox HD Not Available for ABC!

SleestakSooner
10/4/2006, 03:55 PM
September 29, 2006

Dear Valued Cox Customer,

As you know, Cox strives to provide you with a wide variety of programming choices, including
a growing number of high definition channels. Unfortunately, due to a decision by Hearst Argyle
Television, the parent company of KOCO (the local ABC affiliate), we may no longer be allowed
to carry the Channel 5 signal on high definition Channel 705. This will not affect continuing
broadcast of the KOCO signal on Channel 8.

The 1992 Cable Act passed by Congress says that local stations must grant permission for a
cable company to carry their local signals, including the regular over-the-air analog signal and
the high definition one. This is normally not a problem, but Hearst Argyle recently insisted that
Cox should begin paying millions of dollars to carry the HD signals for their various local affiliates
in several cities, including KOCO in Oklahoma City. Keep in mind that this is the same signal
carried for free over the airwaves and is free to Cox high definition customers.

The result of this situation would simply be unacceptable - higher costs to us and our subscribers.
We have negotiated with Hearst Argyle for some months concerning this issue, but unless they
extend their permission for us to carry the KOCO HD signal, that permission will expire at
midnight on October 1 and Channel 705 will no longer be part of the Cox HD lineup.

We will continue negotiations with Hearst Argyle, to resolve this matter in the best interests of our
subscribers. Thank you for choosing Cox; we’ll keep you updated on this issue, and on our plans
to add new HD channels very soon.

Sincerely,
David Bialis, President
Cox Oklahoma

What this wonderful bit of news means is that I cannot see the game in HD this weekend.

Since this happened we have gone out and purchased a HD antenna but it is one of the indoor types and the signal coming from OKC does not appear to be strong enough for that antenna and I get absolutely nothing from the ABC signal on it.

Does anyone live near Norman High and use a medium range directional HD antenna?http://antennaweb.org/aw/Stations.aspx
If so could you let me know whether it works well enough to make that investment? I really would love to see this game in HD!

Thanks to anyone that can help and to the admins I hope this is in the appropriate stop...

OU Adonis
10/4/2006, 06:48 PM
http://www.thepearlharborarchive.com/websites/thepearlharborarchive/home_paper.jpg

ou4me
10/4/2006, 06:55 PM
http://www.thepearlharborarchive.com/websites/thepearlharborarchive/home_paper.jpg

x-pwned

Hatfield
10/4/2006, 06:58 PM
i used to not be able to pick up the local hd abc channel on 5-01 but lately as if by magic i now get it.

live in okc and just have an indoor antenna with minor (only 10db) amp

Sooner_Bob
10/4/2006, 07:51 PM
Would I be able to adequately pickup OTA HD up here in Aggieville?

ByngSooner
10/4/2006, 09:02 PM
I live 70 miles away to the SE and pick up Channel 5 HD signal just fine.

I use a Channel Master 7777 preamp and a Radioshack antenna (VU-75xr).

For the rest of the OKC channels I use a CM4228 UHF antenna. They both plug into the preamp.

Not only is that my only option, it is free. I don't understand all the fuss from people in OKC over the cox deal. Way less trouble to fix than my solution. Most of them just need some rabbit ears. (I know those to the SW have a different issue...may want to check out the hdtvok.com website)

Sooner Bob, I think you should be able to depending on the terrain in your area. The preamp I use is the difference-maker here. The CM 4228 is also the most highly recommended for deep fringe reception of UHF, but since ABC is the only vhf, I had to get a seperate antenna just for it. The 4228 picked it up most of the time, but could not chance missing a play due to reception problems...lol Good luck.

Norm In Norman
10/4/2006, 10:03 PM
Please don't start duplicate posts. There is a thread about this that has been going for days.