PDA

View Full Version : Help me out, horn fans...

The Maestro
10/4/2006, 10:31 AM
...with your linebacker situation. I ask cause I think the key to any team stopping AD is the linebackers. If he gets by them and gets to punish your DB's, they might trip him up early, but as history has shown, he runs over them in the 4th quarter.

Honestly, this seems to be about the most unheralded group of LB's I can remember at texas. I might be wrong, but I don't know a dang thing about them and haven't heard any high praise for any of them on a national scale. Don't tell me what they did against Rice, UNT or BRSI State...do you really think this group can keep AD in check?

TexasLidig8r
10/4/2006, 10:50 AM
Yes.

#1-Erin-Higgins-Fan
10/4/2006, 10:52 AM
Yes.
HAHA!!! :D

proudsoonergal
10/4/2006, 10:54 AM
I've had three people tell me this week that Sergio Kendle (sp?) is the second coming of Derrick Johnson, and incredibly fast. I think he is a freshman or a RS, so this may be his first OU/Texas game.

TexasLidig8r
10/4/2006, 11:07 AM
I've had three people tell me this week that Sergio Kendle (sp?) is the second coming of Derrick Johnson, and incredibly fast. I think he is a freshman or a RS, so this may be his first OU/Texas game.

Sergio Kindle was the number one linebacker recruit in the State of Texas last year. About 6'4", 225lb. He also was a very accomplished running back as well. His senior year, he rushed for about 2,300 yards and scored 41 touchdowns. Enrolled at Texas in January. A high ankle sprain the first week of two a days severely limited him the first month of the season. He saw his first significant action last week.

He's faster than Derrick Johnson and has the potential to be a great one before he ends his career at UT. This weekend though, he should only see spot duty and special teams play.

sooneron
10/4/2006, 11:11 AM
Chizik likes undersized LBs, he wants them to be fast, not necessarily big hulking gap stuffers. From what I've heard, he wants LBs to conatain from the outside in. This seems to be a trend these days. Anyone over 240 seems to get moved to DE.

Newbomb Turk
10/4/2006, 11:16 AM
uh-oh...Sergio!!

http://www.golf.de/module/diashow/images/pga_championship_2005/Sergio-Garcia-of-Spain-hits_first_round_pgachampionship2005_300x300.jpg

Herr Scholz
10/4/2006, 11:17 AM
Chizik likes undersized LBs, he wants them to be fast, not necessarily big hulking gap stuffers. From what I've heard, he wants LBs to conatain from the outside in. This seems to be a trend these days. Anyone over 240 seems to get moved to DE.
That's correct. He prizes speed over everything else but it's not like they can't hit. We have plenty of speed and also go 7 or 8 deep at LB. If our DEs can contain the corner and force Peterson inside, our LBs won't have a problem cleaning up.

There are no Butkus candidates in the group (not yet - give Kindle a year or two) but it's probably the best group we've had since Mack has been here. No joke.

okienole3
10/4/2006, 11:27 AM
Sergio is a MONSTER. He single handedly and I mean he did it all by himself took Woodrow Wilson to the playoffs last year.

soonervegas
10/4/2006, 11:28 AM
Wow an actual interesting OU/Texas discussion.

Herr-

Do you think they can clean up in the 3rd and 4th quarter? It would seem that size would become a problem when you are having to tackle AD on his 25-35 carries.

(Hence, why I think it is so important for UT to jump on OU early)

Octavian
10/4/2006, 11:28 AM
...it's probably the best group we've had since Mack has been here. No joke.

WOW

I'm a lot more concerned w/ their DL than their LBs

If our young line can't create some gaps at the point of attack, their LBs wont even have the chance to end up on AD's highlight reel...

Herr Scholz
10/4/2006, 11:32 AM

Herr-

Do you think they can clean up in the 3rd and 4th quarter? It would seem that size would become a problem when you are having to tackle AD on his 25-35 carries.

I don't think our LBs will wear out due to the depth we use as well as our strong DL. Lendale White gashed us last year but their OL was way better than yours I think. I think we've got the front 7 to hang with your running game all day, yes.

planosooner
10/4/2006, 11:33 AM
I know he's been hurt, but why aren't they planning on playing him this weekend if he is this big and fast. Just doesn't add up unless he still is working on learning the assignments and such. Spot duty? wtf
DJ wasn't doing spot duty when he was a freshman. I just don't get it unless he is still injured.

fadada1
10/4/2006, 11:34 AM
i remember how those "prized" LBs from texas stopped AD in 2004.

caphorns
10/4/2006, 11:36 AM
I think you have the wrong idea on this subject. Stopping Adrian to the outside first depends on the DEs winning their matchups and forcing Adrian to run inside. This is an area where we failed miserably last time we saw AD for extended action. We've improved greatly here with Crowder and Robison. But Orakpo is probably our wild card against Adrian. He is EXTREMELY fast for a DE.

As for the LB, it starts in the middle, but I'll review each spot:

Rashad Bobino/Jared Norton (MLB). Rashad is an unheralded player and actually is an improvement over our stoner MLB from the last couple of seasons (Aaron Harris). Harris really declined last year leaving lots of room to run straight up the gut (as ATM was able to do effectively). Rashad is more consistent but does have a tendency to overrun plays and be overly aggressive. His upside is that he gets really low to the ground to make plays and is hard to get a hat on. He will probably have the assignment of also tracking PT down outside the pocket (like he did very effectively against Meyer and Troy Smith). Norton is an amazingly good LB candidate. I don't expect you'll see alot of him because of Bobino's quality, but if he does play, you will quickly see that he has elite speed and great technique for a first year player.

Derry/Killebrew/Kindle (SAM) - Time at the SAM position will be split between this bunch. Derry is not very athletic and I expect him to get less snaps in this game. BUT, he is our most disciplined SAM and will maintain position. He may or may not start. He does not have the speed to come near AD though and I think he gets little time in this game as a result. Killebrew should get the majority of the time at the SAM position. He's very fast, very agressive and possibly too aggressive. Killebrew was a dominant force in last year's OU game and I hope to see him return to that form. His downside is that he costs us penalty yardage way too often. Kindle is pure raw talent. He reminds me very much of DJ. Very, very fast and a fierce tackler. But Kindle misses assignments in coverage. I expect him to play no more than 30% of the downs and possibly less if he busts a coverage assignment early. He would be further along but had to miss most of camp due to injury.

Kelson, Derry (WILL) - Kelson is our fastest LB. Great in coverage. Really a great all around player. You might remember how he blanketed Reggie Bush in coverage in the Rose Bowl. He's a bit undersized so it's possible AD's power could be a problem for him. His other downside is that he missed alot of time due to injury and is just getting back into the flow. I expect his top assignment will be to keep after your TEs and/or RBs in coverage. Derry will give him some plays off.

fadada1
10/4/2006, 11:38 AM
how come texas is filled with all these "unheralded" players???

DalHorn
If the D has any weaknesses it's definitely not the front 7... it's the secondary who got torched by Gonzalez and Ginn a few weeks ago.

If Thompson is able to get going, that will be a good thing for sooners for sure. If AD chops off 7 or 8 yards a carry then we have bigger problems than I thought. I just don't see that happening against this group and Chizik in charge now.

sooneron
I don't think you'll be rotating LBs that much. It's just not smart- there are too many assignments/reads. LBs need to be in the flow of the game to be effective. Maybe for certain situations - passing etc, but not for guys getting tired.

proudsoonergal
10/4/2006, 11:43 AM
Derry/Killebrew/Kindle (SAM) - Time at the SAM position will be split between this bunch. Derry is not very athletic and I expect him to get less snaps in this game. BUT, he is our most disciplined SAM and will maintain position. He may or may not start. He does not have the speed to come near AD though and I think he gets little time in this game as a result. Killebrew should get the majority of the time at the SAM position. He's very fast, very agressive and possibly too aggressive. Killebrew was a dominant force in last year's OU game and I hope to see him return to that form. His downside is that he costs us penalty yardage way too often. Kindle is pure raw talent. He reminds me very much of DJ. Very, very fast and a fierce tackler. But Kindle misses assignments in coverage. I expect him to play no more than 30% of the downs and possibly less if he busts a coverage assignment early. He would be further along but had to miss most of camp due to injury.

Count on at least one or two stupid penalties by Killebrew. :) There was an article in the Statesman a month or so ago about how he is aggressive, but has been told by the coaches that he needs to play smarter. Seems like he had a stupid penalty against USC (and maybe tOSU, too), although I'm sure if I'm wrong one of the Texas fans here will correct me. :D

caphorns
10/4/2006, 11:47 AM
I don't think you'll be rotating LBs that much. It's just not smart- there are too many assignments/reads. LBs need to be in the flow of the game to be effective. Maybe for certain situations - passing etc, but not for guys getting tired.

Chizik always rotates LBs. You'll see plenty of different guys. But it's not like the NFL rotations where you see the guys huffing off the field on every play. On short drives, he'll usually not change the unit he originally goes out with.

He always likes to keep a fresh unit out there. His D is predicated on outrunning his opponent (or at least matching their speed) and violence at the point of impact.

I don't disagree with what you are saying about reads and MANY of our coverage busts this year have been related to LB play. Unfortunately the secondary gets all the blame.

caphorns
10/4/2006, 11:50 AM
Count on at least one or two stupid penalties by Killebrew. :) There was an article in the Statesman a month or so ago about how he is aggressive, but has been told by the coaches that he needs to play smarter. Seems like he had a stupid penalty against USC (and maybe tOSU, too), although I'm sure if I'm wrong one of the Texas fans here will correct me. :D

Correct. That's exactly right. He hits like a freight train you do get some bang for your buck with his penalties. But the one in the Rose Bowl just didn't sit right. He also had some nasty plays on our own players during scrimmages that got him in trouble this offseason. He is a wild card. But that aggresiveness was incredibly useful last year in intimidating your young offensive unit. The question is whether he can control it sufficiently to be effective.

OUMallen
10/4/2006, 11:59 AM
I don't think our LBs will wear out due to the depth we use as well as our strong DL. Lendale White gashed us last year but their OL was way better than yours I think. I think we've got the front 7 to hang with your running game all day, yes.

It would be wonderful if Ut attempted to stop AD with just the front 7. That would be your first mistake. I mean, your front seven is so good that you lost...at home....to a team that isn't really supposed to be much better than you...

56-39-5
10/4/2006, 12:06 PM
i don' think our lb's can stop adrian peterson. from what i can see, if he gets beyond the los, he's good for 5 to 6 every time.
however, i don't see him having a great deal of success getting beyond the los. this season, it seems to me that the majority of his successful runs are to the outside. i'm much more concerned about that than anything at the point of attack.
peterson is the key. if he's having success, ou could roll to a victory. he's the lone known difference maker quantity. if anyone else steps up and wins this thing, it's a surprise (to me at least). i just do't see texas scoring a great deal (greg davis will probably revert) against you guys. that said, i htik our defense is good in the areas (front 7) that it needs to be to counter your strength.

56-39-5
10/4/2006, 12:08 PM
It would be wonderful if Ut attempted to stop AD with just the front 7. That would be your first mistake. I mean, your front seven is so good that you lost...at home....to a team that isn't really supposed to be much better than you...
we're giving up something like 1.5 yards a carry. we haven't seen much, but osu has a solid running game and we stuffed them too. we didn't lose because of our run defense.
our secondary has been shaky at times and was in that game. we also lost the turnover battle, coughing one up just a foot or so from paydirt. but, so what? ohio st. was better. that's really not such a tough pill to swallow.

caphorns
10/4/2006, 12:12 PM
As great as Peterson was in 2004, your offense managed 12 points that day. Our defense has improved since then, your OL has taken a step back. You won't win with the one-man show.

OUMallen
10/4/2006, 12:12 PM
the thing about assuming the UT front 7 can stop our running game all day is that, on almost every play, your front seven will manhandle every blocker they encounter (and each player will have a blocker or will be on the opposite side of the field), not get slowed down any whatsoever, and then make the play. All the time. All day long. I just don't see it happening. If they were that good, you wouldn't have lost to OSU.

UT's front 7 is great, but no college football team is SO GOOD on the front 7 that you don't need some help to stop our average OL and hypergood RB. Can you imagine the whorn backlash on Sun and MOn if Chizik doesn't try to stop AD first? If he is so arrogant as to assume that the front 7 can consistently beat their blockers more than about 75% of the time and then subsequently tackle the best RB in college footballl...whew. I think OU will score enough to win. It's whether we stop you enough.

OUMallen
10/4/2006, 12:15 PM
As great as Peterson was in 2004, your offense managed 12 points that day. Our defense has improved since then, your OL has taken a step back. You won't win with the one-man show.

Your secondary is not better, IMO. And it's not a one-man show.

But the point is: your faith in your front 7 seems a littl ehigh. We all know tey're the best, yada yada, just look how you beat your out of conference teams, yada yada. Lost to OSU at home with their balanced attack. I mean, are you really thinking about how hard it is to stop AD when we put hats on 6 of your front 7 every play? And defender #7 is on the opposite side of the field?

caphorns
10/4/2006, 12:23 PM
Mallen - do you not know who Michael Griffin is by now? He has a brother Marcus that can also hit from the safety position. But hitting with a safety is usually not the plan when you are trying to stop a team from gaining 5 yards a play.

The VIIIth
10/4/2006, 12:23 PM
Texas doesn't have a rich history at LB. I believe DJ was the first LB taken in the first round of the NFL draft for the whorns since Nobis...that would be a long time.

Other than DJ, I'm sure there have been others drafted but none come to mind offhand.

Speaking of DJ, does texas have any other Butkus winners? In a tOUch of irony and just to ensure texas didn't hog the ceremony in 2004 the year DJ won the award, Geotge Cumby received the Silver Anniversary acknowledgement for winning the Butkus 25 years earlier.

just sayin'

BIG_IKE
10/4/2006, 12:25 PM
In my honest opinion after watching all of the Whorns games except SHS, which I heard Kindle made his debut with 11 tackles...

I think this is Texas best linebacking Corps since Mack has been there.
What worries me is the fact that they have 5-6 very solid ones in Bobino, Kindle, Killebrew, Kelson, Muckleroy and this Derry guy. This could pose a problem for us if our goal is to wear them down. I'd bank on the Texas D being fresh most of the game.

caphorns
10/4/2006, 12:25 PM
We have much richer history than OU at the DT spot and have not done shabby with OL and RB. I'm just sayin'

Texas LB play will be off the charts in 2-3 years based on the current recruiting. We've done better than ever in this area. I think DJ has a ton to do with that.

caphorns
10/4/2006, 12:27 PM
Muckleroy won't be playing due to injury. I would have obviously included him otherwise.

OUMallen
10/4/2006, 12:36 PM
Mallen - do you not know who Michael Griffin is by now? He has a brother Marcus that can also hit from the safety position. But hitting with a safety is usually not the plan when you are trying to stop a team from gaining 5 yards a play.

Yeah, the injured one, right? You're unbelievable. No one has ever stopped AD unless he was injured. Now there's no way we'll get more than 5 yards a play. Hell, I'll take 4 per play running all day long if we can do it.

Since you're so confident, a gentleman's bet than OU scores at least...let's say, 24 points? I think UT could score quickly enough that we'll have lots of opportunities, to be honest. 24 points is even a little high considering your arro-er-confidence.

56-39-5
10/4/2006, 12:42 PM
our secondary has looked lackluster at times. the talent is there, but for some reason it's looked off cue a few times.
we're not aruging that our front 7 is the best ever, yada, yada, yada. we're just saying that it is a strength of this team.

TexasLidig8r
10/4/2006, 12:54 PM
Texas doesn't have a rich history at LB. I believe DJ was the first LB taken in the first round of the NFL draft for the whorns since Nobis...that would be a long time.

HEY HEY now.. wait a second.. Actually, Texas has a RICH history at LB.

The problem is, a lot of that history involves slow, small linebackers that hit its zenith between the mid 80s through the mid 90s. Who can possibly forget Tyson "Chicken" King? I used to refer to him as "Salty" because that was the name of my basset hound at the time and that was about as fast as he was.

caphorns
10/4/2006, 12:55 PM
Yeah, the injured one, right? You're unbelievable. No one has ever stopped AD unless he was injured. Now there's no way we'll get more than 5 yards a play. Hell, I'll take 4 per play running all day long if we can do it.

Since you're so confident, a gentleman's bet than OU scores at least...let's say, 24 points? I think UT could score quickly enough that we'll have lots of opportunities, to be honest. 24 points is even a little high considering your arro-er-confidence.

Uh. Texas has given up less than 2 yards a play rushing including to Ohio State (who had some stud running backs). My point is that the safeties would not be our first line of defense. Once AD has gotten to the safeties, it is going to by definition be a bigger gain than we hope to regularly see. He may end up with 3 to 5 yards per carry average (or more) because of a few big plays. But that is not nearly the same as giving up 5 yards or more on the majority of the running plays. For the most part, he's going to get hit by someone in the Front 7. It will be Mike Griffin and Marcus Griffin's jobs to keep him out of the end zone on explosive plays and they are very capable of catching him in open field. Very unlikely that we would load the box to stop the run early in the game.

I don't think you will score as much as Ohio State because you don't have Ohio State's offensive line. So I do think we keep it below 24.

I don't make bets of any kind with land thieves. ;)

OUMallen
10/4/2006, 01:22 PM
Look who you've played. Hurrah! Hurrah! And OSU beat you up and down the field, so I wouldn't hold up any special statistics from that game. All I am saying is: don't you htink you're overestimating just a little bit? It would take an all conference team to keep AD, even with our average OLine, from ripping off a couple of long ones and to consistently gain some goo dyards. But by your posts, there's no way it's possible AND AND AND you won't even need secondary players to help!

56-39-5
10/4/2006, 01:35 PM
Look who you've played. Hurrah! Hurrah! And OSU beat you up and down the field, so I wouldn't hold up any special statistics from that game. All I am saying is: don't you htink you're overestimating just a little bit? It would take an all conference team to keep AD, even with our average OLine, from ripping off a couple of long ones and to consistently gain some goo dyards. But by your posts, there's no way it's possible AND AND AND you won't even need secondary players to help!
why not point out statistics from ohio state? we're not claiming anything other than effective run defense in that contest. statistics back up that claim.
peterson is capable of 200. everyone knows that. however, one of these days he might get held in check for an entire game, rather than just one half. i wouldn't be overly surprised if he runs wild - he's that good, and i wouldn't be overly surprised if he's held largely in check (120 yards, 25 carries - and yes that's "in check" when talking adrian peterson) - your o-line is that bad.
like cap said, if peterson has a nice game (120yds) but only breaks 2 or 3 15 yarders, we should be okay.

sooneron
10/4/2006, 01:42 PM
We have much richer history than OU at the DT spot and have not done shabby with OL and RB. I'm just sayin'

Which one rates better than LR Selmon? Or Dewey? Or Casillas? (yeah he was something of a NG, but whatever, same diff- we'll call them interior linemen)

Little clue- NO ONE rates higher than Lee Roy. Take off the baby **** orange glasses.

sooneron
10/4/2006, 01:42 PM
Pittman did average 4.6 ypc in that game and I'm sure AD is good for another yard to yard and half.

The VIIIth
10/4/2006, 01:45 PM

Texas LB play will be off the charts in 2-3 years based on the current recruiting. We've done better than ever in this area. I think DJ has a ton to do with that.

I don't know how you came up with this conclusion you have a richer history at DT but a quick scan shows that Oklahoma has more Lombardi Award winners than texas, that of course is the award given annually to the best lineman. I do remember one texas DT that was drafted recently whose NFL team said was he out of shape and poorly coached. May have been the Lions, can't remember. Kenneth Sims...other than that?

Of course there's always the Outland Trophy. But No! Cursory research reveals almost twice as many Sooners as longwhorns have won the Outland Trophy as well.

Maybe Mack can have a ring made.

On the Oklahoma Bench featuring former NFL alumni like Tony Casillas, Rick Bryan, Lee Roy Selmon and Dewey and Lucius his brothers, Tommy Harris, Phil Tabor, Reggie Kinlaw, Kelly Gregg, Dusty Dvoracek, JD Roberts, Jim Weatherall...and I know I'm missing a bunch.

Since you conceded linebacker as having an inferior history at texas when compared to Sooner Linebackers, I'll only use a short excerpt from The Butkus Award Website.

"Seventy-one student-athletes have been selected as finalists for the Butkus Award® since it was established in 1985 by the Downtown Athletic Club of Orlando, including seven who were named as finalists in two separate years. Brian Bosworth of Oklahoma has been the only two-time winner of the award (in 1985 and 1986) and joins Chris Spielman of Ohio State, Percy Snow of Michigan State, Rocky Calmus of Oklahoma, E. J. Henderson of Maryland and Teddy Lehman of Oklahoma and Mike Stonebreaker of Notre Dame as the only players to make the final list two times.

Thirty-three institutions have been represented in final Butkus Award® voting. Oklahoma is the only school to be represented by seven finalists."

TexasLidig8r
10/4/2006, 01:51 PM
Which one rates better than LR Selmon? Or Dewey? Or Casillas? (yeah he was something of a NG, but whatever, same diff- we'll call them interior linemen)

Little clue- NO ONE rates higher than Lee Roy. Take off the baby **** orange glasses.

Some of the better ones just off the top of my head... Diron Talbert, Steve McMichael, Doug English.. and of course more recently, Shaun Rogers, Casey Hampton, Marcus Tubbs.

Granted, Lee Roy Selmon as an absolute beast. Texas does have a pretty good history here.

OUMallen
10/4/2006, 01:52 PM
DOn't let facts about objective awards get in the way of a whorn's opinion 3 days before the RRS.

Herr Scholz
10/4/2006, 01:53 PM
Pittman did average 4.6 ypc in that game and I'm sure AD is good for another yard to yard and half.
Pittman only got 74 yards on us and he's a very good back. Very good (and he has a better O line than Peterson). We also held Jamario Thomas to 38 yards (he was the NCAA rushing champ year before last).

Peterson has been averaging 160 yards per game and 5.5 YPC. OU hasn't played a team with a rush defense close to UT's. I don't think these averages will hold up and I don't think it's a stretch to make that statement. 125 yards on 30-35 carries seems about right.

caphorns
10/4/2006, 01:54 PM
Dude I gave you LBs. And I don't know half the DTs on your list. In recent history, Texas has had a very good DT factory and is pretty well known for it at this point in time. I'm not going to insult OU players by recounting some dubious NFL history, but your thread starts right off the bat with a name that stands out. Ignoble NFL histories really aren't relevant. I'm also not going to list guys you don't know. I doubt you even know who Tommy Nobis is.

The Lombardi Award is not reserved for the DT spot - which was my reference.

sooneron
10/4/2006, 01:54 PM
Every whorn here keeps saying that PT is going to get his *** kicked in this game. How many times have McCoy/Snead been sacked? 4 times.

PT has been sacked a whopping 5 times this year. My point being, OUr pass blocking is pretty good, prolly better than most of you think.

caphorns
10/4/2006, 01:56 PM

None of your LBs rate higher than Tommy Nobis. What's your point?

sooneron
10/4/2006, 01:58 PM
Dude I gave you LBs. And I don't know half the DTs on your list. I'm also not going to list guys you don't know. I doubt you even know who Tommy Nobis is.

Actually, I do. Sorry if you aren't as knowlegeable about more than just your team. It's called being INFORMED.

caphorns
10/4/2006, 01:59 PM
I thought you didn't know him because your making such a big deal about Leroy. Just for educational purposes of others Ron, here's a little tidbit on Nobis:

NFL career
In 1965, Tommy Nobis became the first player ever drafted by the expansion Atlanta Falcons as well as the first linebacker to be chosen first overall when he was taken with the #1 pick in the 1966 NFL Draft on November 27, 1965. The Houston Oilers also drafted him in the AFL Draft. This presented a dilemma and also sparked a debate that reached as far as outer space when Frank Borman, an astronaut aboard Gemini 7, talked back to earth with the message, “tell Nobis to sign with Houston.” Tommy Nobis instead signed with Atlanta on December 14, 1965 and became the first ever member of the Atlanta Falcons. This culminated in the nickname “Mr. Falcon”.

Tommy Nobis joined the Falcons for their inaugural season in 1966. That season he won the league’s NFL Rookie of the Year, was voted to the Pro Bowl and amassed an unprecedented 294 combined tackles which still stands today as the team’s all-time single-season record. In eleven professional seasons he led the Falcons in tackles nine times, went to five Pro Bowls (one in 1972 after two knee surgeries), was named All-Pro twice and was chosen for the NFL's "All-Decade Team" for the 1960's. Miami Dolphins great, running back Larry Csonka commented, "I'd rather play against Dick Butkus than Nobis," and Falcon’s coach Norm Van Brocklin once pointed to Nobis’ locker and proclaimed, “There’s where our football team dresses.”

Now where's the write up on Bozworth?

OUMallen
10/4/2006, 01:59 PM
Every whorn here keeps saying that PT is going to get his *** kicked in this game. How many times have McCoy/Snead been sacked? 4 times.

PT has been sacked a whopping 5 times this year. My point being, OUr pass blocking is pretty good, prolly better than most of you think.

Esp compared to our run blocking. I don't even know why we're going down to play the game. We can't run, and PT will be sacked all day. Like groceries.

sooneron
10/4/2006, 02:03 PM
I thought you didn't know him because your making such a big deal about Leroy. Just for educational purposes of others Ron, here's a little tidbit on Nobis:

Now where's the write up on Bozworth?
I'm sorry, where did I mention Boz in this thread? Your reading comprehension sucks if you think I did.

The VIIIth
10/4/2006, 02:07 PM
Dude I gave you LBs. And I don't know half the DTs on your list. In recent history, Texas has had a very good DT factory and is pretty well known for it at this point in time. I'm not going to insult OU players by recounting some dubious NFL history, but your thread starts right off the bat with a name that stands out. Ignoble NFL histories really aren't relevant. I'm also not going to list guys you don't know. I doubt you even know who Tommy Nobis is.

The Lombardi Award is not reserved for the DT spot - which was my reference.

Why would I have referenced Nobis in the first place you pedantic moron...if I was not aware of his accomplishments.

Pointing out that "Texas has had a very good DT factory and is pretty well known for it at this point in time" doesn't tell me or the others here anything specific except your worthless opinion. At least Lidigator offered up some examples.

Naturally NFL histories don't matter, especially if you don't have any to cite as an example.

Defensive tackles are eligible for the Lombardi Trophy. Once again, since texas lacks tradition on the lines you have come up short in the two most recognizable awards given to interior linemen, albeit defense or otherwise.

You mention RB but you probably don't want to count Heisman Trophy's either.
:pop:

goingoneight
10/4/2006, 02:16 PM
uh-oh...Sergio!!

http://www.golf.de/module/diashow/images/pga_championship_2005/Sergio-Garcia-of-Spain-hits_first_round_pgachampionship2005_300x300.jpg

AHHHH, FOREMAN!!!
http://premium1.uploadit.org/crazyspin77/dumbass.jpg

NormanPride
10/4/2006, 02:16 PM
I'm sorry, did I stumble in on the FSU/Miami rivalry thread? Are we arguing PRO players? You guys are pathetic.

Our OLine is underrated. Will we dominate your DLine? Probably not, but don't expect a sack fest like last year.

The fact of the matter is that a game this tight always comes down to execution and who shows up to play. If AD decides it's time to play, you guys have a tough time. If Colt decides it's time to play, we have a tough time. Etc, etc. Any speculation on matchups beyond that is pretty pointless. The idea that both teams don't have the athletes to play is laughable.

Will our DTs hit their assignments right? Will the Texas safeties hit theirs? I think that's pretty much it right there.

TJKDone
10/4/2006, 02:22 PM

Herr-

I don't think that "wearing out" is an issue for two reasons:

1) As has already been discussed, we rotate LB's with a full two deep playing a lot during the game.

2) The "undersized" perception is exaggerated. Babino, Kill, Derry are all near 230 and they deliver the wood when they come. Sergio Kindle is 235 as a true frosh and will play some as a second teamer.

Do you guys really think that you'll "wear down" UT in the run game? I know there is a lot of rivalry bravado, but from where I stand that would be the best case scenario for us. Whether you admit it now or not, the best part of our D by far is against the run. Without a strong passing threat, I think AP is in for a long day. I don't think Stoops would hang his hat on "pounding AP" against our front 7. He is too smart for that.

Hook'em

TexasLidig8r
10/4/2006, 02:24 PM
Why would I have referenced Nobis in the first place you pedantic moron...if I was not aware of his accomplishments.

:pop:

hmmm... I have the exclusive monopoly to use the word "pedantic" on this website. Please edit your initial post before I am forced to seek injunctive relief. :mad:

:D

sooneron
10/4/2006, 02:26 PM
hmmm... I have the exclusive monopoly to be a "Pedophiliac" on this website. Please edit your initial post before I am forced to seek injunctive relief. :mad:

:texan:

proudsoonergal
10/4/2006, 02:29 PM
Hey - Sooneron - nice avatar. :)

goingoneight
10/4/2006, 02:29 PM
I don't think that "wearing out" is an issue for two reasons:

1) As has already been discussed, we rotate LB's with a full two deep playing a lot during the game.

2) The "undersized" perception is exaggerated. Babino, Kill, Derry are all near 230 and they deliver the wood when they come. Sergio Kindle is 235 as a true frosh and will play some as a second teamer.

Do you guys really think that you'll "wear down" UT in the run game? I know there is a lot of rivalry bravado, but from where I stand that would be the best case scenario for us. Whether you admit it now or not, the best part of our D by far is against the run. Without a strong passing threat, I think AP is in for a long day. I don't think Stoops would hang his hat on "pounding AP" against our front 7. He is too smart for that.

Hook'em

Why would we pound Allen Patrick when we could use AD or Gute??? :confused:

sooneron
10/4/2006, 02:31 PM
Hey - Sooneron - nice avatar. :)
Back at ya!:D

caphorns
10/4/2006, 02:39 PM
I'm sorry, where did I mention Boz in this thread? Your reading comprehension sucks if you think I did.

Why don't you actually read my post and try again. I said nothing about you discussing Bozworth. It was an example. What's funny is you apparently misread my original post where I stated that UT has a RICHER history at the DT position than OU. I didn't say that UT graduated the best DT of the two schools. I didn't even say that OU's history at DT is NOT RICH. Yet, those are the responses I got. So to return the unnecessary insult, I can only think that you have difficulty in both reading comprehension and logic.

The Maestro
10/4/2006, 02:42 PM
I guess to answer my question after reading this stuff...

horn LB's have A LOT to prove to me. A bunch of no-namers at this point.

I like how I think cap said their defense is improved over two years ago...minus three first round draft picks in Wright, Huff and DJ. Uh...no.

56-39-5
10/4/2006, 02:48 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/boxscore?gid=200609090083

the box score from texas - ohio st.

i was wrong, ohio state avg 3.6ypc in that game. the rest of the box score shows a pretty even game. uor 2 turnovers killed us. but again, the better team won.
peterson is better, by far, than anyone we've faced or anyone we will face. but you guys don't seem to pay enough attention to how poor that line is. oregon was in your backfield the entire game. southern alabama stuffed the run more than they should have. in the end, adrain prevailed, but it should be a red flag at least.

proudsoonergal
10/4/2006, 02:57 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/boxscore?gid=200609090083

the box score from texas - ohio st.

i was wrong, ohio state avg 3.6ypc in that game. the rest of the box score shows a pretty even game. uor 2 turnovers killed us. but again, the better team won.
peterson is better, by far, than anyone we've faced or anyone we will face. but you guys don't seem to pay enough attention to how poor that line is. oregon was in your backfield the entire game. southern alabama stuffed the run more than they should have. in the end, adrain prevailed, but it should be a red flag at least.

You lose all credibility if you think we played "southern alabama." :D

56-39-5
10/4/2006, 03:00 PM
You lose all credibility if you think we played "southern alabama." :D
i think i was having a moment. uab. watson brown.

caphorns
10/4/2006, 03:08 PM
I guess to answer my question after reading this stuff...

horn LB's have A LOT to prove to me. A bunch of no-namers at this point.

I like how I think cap said their defense is improved over two years ago...minus three first round draft picks in Wright, Huff and DJ. Uh...no.

Maestro - you know better than that. Wright was not a first round pick. Huff and DJ were amazing players but their supporting cast at times was not so great. Anyway, my specific references were to particular front 7 positions. Our LB corps of Bobino, Killebrew, Kindle, Derry, Kelson is more formidable than the two man tandem of DJ and Aaron Harris. If you can recall, we lost Garnett Smith who would have been a nice 3rd LB that year and were scrambling to fill the spot. We did not have LB depth of note. Also the DEs are the same, but they have had 2 years of development - physically and mentally - and are much better than 2 years ago. We also had no depth at end and we have a high quality third DE in Orakpo.

Obviously we miss Mike Huff and would love to have DJ back.

The 2004 D was still very good. It's just that the way we got turned out on the corners is a little less likely this year because our DEs are better, our LB corps as a group is better and your OL is not as good.

The VIIIth
10/4/2006, 03:52 PM
hmmm... I have the exclusive monopoly to use the word "pedantic" on this website. Please edit your initial post before I am forced to seek injunctive relief. :mad:

Well, rules are rules...

;)

KYHonorarySooner
10/4/2006, 03:56 PM
If the D has any weaknesses it's definitely not the front 7... it's the secondary who got torched by Gonzalez and Ginn a few weeks ago.

If Thompson is able to get going, that will be a good thing for sooners for sure. If AD chops off 7 or 8 yards a carry then we have bigger problems than I thought. I just don't see that happening against this group and Chizik in charge now.

You mean the game where you were missing a starting CB and another key DB... nice try but I do not think your secondary is the question here.

sooneron
10/4/2006, 04:20 PM
Why don't you actually read my post and try again. I said nothing about you discussing Bozworth. It was an example. What's funny is you apparently misread my original post where I stated that UT has a RICHER history at the DT position than OU. I didn't say that UT graduated the best DT of the two schools. I didn't even say that OU's history at DT is NOT RICH. Yet, those are the responses I got. So to return the unnecessary insult, I can only think that you have difficulty in both reading comprehension and logic.

Let's see here. I refute your claim of "much richer history" and you pulled out an nfl quote about Nobis. Then, you ask for something regarding similar wording about Boz. OK

THE TRUTH:

OU's interior D Linemen that have won AA status are listed below. One of which is considered the greatest to have ever laced them up.

Tommie Harris - 02/03
Tony Casillas - 84/85
Rick Bryan - 82/83
Dewey Selmon - 74/75
Lee Roy Selmon - 74/75
Lucious Selmon - 73
Derland Moore - 72
Granville Liggins - 66/67
Gilford Duggin - 39

I'm pretty sure I missed a couple.

caphorns
10/4/2006, 04:54 PM
I pulled off the quote about Nobis in response to your silly tirade about Lee Roy Selmon - and how can we claim to have a richer history when you guys had LeRoy? Well, how can you guys claim to have a richer history at LB when we had Tommy Nobis and Derrick Johnson? I'd agree with the fact that OU has a better LB history but not because you had the best LB of the group.

By the way, AA DTs from Texas

Tony Degrate, - 1984*
Doug English, - 1974
Casey Hampton - 1999, 2000*
Steve McMichael - 1978, 79*
Cory Redding - 2001, 02
Brad Shearer - 1977
Kenneth Sims - 1980*, - 1981*
Loyd Wainscott - 1968
Rod Wright - 2005*

Also currently playing in the NFL

Shawn Rogers

Don't know much about Diron Talbert, who was listed by Lid. Overall, those are some killer names in terms of DTs in college and the NFL. Most of your DT history is from back in the day. You have not had the same level of DT factory that UT has recently, so maybe I should have said our "relevant" history is richer.

I love that you throw in the leather helmet guy (Gilford Duggin) when it suits your point. What about just the "modern" era ;)

sooneron
10/4/2006, 04:57 PM
OK, lose ONE GUY from my post. :rolleyes:

sooneron
10/4/2006, 04:58 PM
And once again, you said MUCH richer.

caphorns
10/4/2006, 05:18 PM
And once again, you said MUCH richer.

our recent, relevant history IS MUCH richer old man.

sooneron
10/4/2006, 05:38 PM
our recent, relevant history IS MUCH richer old man.
Oh, OK, now I understand, you will use recent when it fits the argument. BTW, we have a couple of solid guys up front in the NFL, too. Both have been all -pro RECENTLY.

OUMallen
10/4/2006, 05:44 PM
but you guys don't seem to pay enough attention to how poor that line is. oregon was in your backfield the entire game.

If we score as much againt UT as we did against UO, we have an EXCELLENT chance to win.

caphorns
10/4/2006, 06:15 PM
OK ron, so there's also

Shaun Rogers - Pro Bowl 04, 05
Casey Hampton - Pro Bowl 03, 05

nanny, nanny boo boo.

If you had simply said in the first place here are the Sooner guys and here are the Longhorn guys and it's not as big a difference as you might think, I might have gone along with it. Instead you preach to me about Leroy Selmon and how dare I ever make the suggestion that we had a MUCH better history at DT. :rolleyes:

Octavian
10/4/2006, 06:31 PM
cap continues to show his NFL love...

he's probably that guy in the Seahawks jersey that gets weird looks every Saturday

Jello Biafra
10/4/2006, 07:08 PM
Yes.

http://www.zonezero.com/exposiciones/fotografos/con_game/images2/stall3third.JPEG

Jello Biafra
10/4/2006, 07:12 PM
I pulled off the quote about Nobis in response to your silly tirade about Lee Roy Selmon - and how can we claim to have a richer history when you guys had LeRoy? Well, how can you guys claim to have a richer history at LB when we had Tommy Nobis and Derrick Johnson? I'd agree with the fact that OU has a better LB history but not because you had the best LB of the group.

By the way, AA DTs from Texas

Tony Degrate, - 1984*
Doug English, - 1974
Casey Hampton - 1999, 2000*
Steve McMichael - 1978, 79*
Cory Redding - 2001, 02
Brad Shearer - 1977
Kenneth Sims - 1980*, - 1981*
Loyd Wainscott - 1968
Rod Wright - 2005*

Also currently playing in the NFL

Shawn Rogers

Don't know much about Diron Talbert, who was listed by Lid. Overall, those are some killer names in terms of DTs in college and the NFL. Most of your DT history is from back in the day. You have not had the same level of DT factory that UT has recently, so maybe I should have said our "relevant" history is richer.

I love that you throw in the leather helmet guy (Gilford Duggin) when it suits your point. What about just the "modern" era ;)

only thing that needs to be posted here is the fact that all of your dts from texas < selmon period......don't think so?
look at the pro football hall of fame...... now whut?

heh did you say derrick johnson was one of the elite linebackers in college football? says who? because he can tackle from behind and strip the ball? good lord you guys are sick sick people.

horninokc
10/4/2006, 07:45 PM
Sergio Kindle was the number one linebacker recruit in the State of Texas last year. About 6'4", 225lb. He also was a very accomplished running back as well. His senior year, he rushed for about 2,300 yards and scored 41 touchdowns. Enrolled at Texas in January. A high ankle sprain the first week of two a days severely limited him the first month of the season. He saw his first significant action last week.

He's faster than Derrick Johnson and has the potential to be a great one before he ends his career at UT. This weekend though, he should only see spot duty and special teams play.

I actually think Kindle sees some significant time. We are thin at LB and he is a freak of nature. It depends on how well he has been able to pick up the system the last few weeks. And I think he was the number one recruit on the state at any position and ranked very high nationally.

I was amazed at his speed last week and not because it was SHSU. He flew past our own defenders to get to the ball.

sooneron
10/4/2006, 09:49 PM
OK ron, so there's also

Shaun Rogers - Pro Bowl 04, 05
Casey Hampton - Pro Bowl 03, 05

nanny, nanny boo boo.

If you had simply said in the first place here are the Sooner guys and here are the Longhorn guys and it's not as big a difference as you might think, I might have gone along with it. Instead you preach to me about Leroy Selmon and how dare I ever make the suggestion that we had a MUCH better history at DT. :rolleyes:

Geez, you are being a major phucktard today. LeeRoy was the tip of the iceberg, or shall I say the pinnacle of it? It was idiotic to make such a post that you were far richer at DT. Newsflash for you, tradition is usually something that is earned and repeated time and again, therefore, our greats of the past make up our tradition, along with Sooners of present. Tradition isn't something that suddenly pops up. I would think that a rival of aggy would know that. Relevant and recent usually don't go hand in hand with "tradition".

Jello Biafra
10/4/2006, 10:21 PM

you guys must party like fu*&in pornstars daily down there in texas. I have been hearing for the last six years that this years starting linebacker is a step above and beyond last years model. "faster than last years and he can tackle"!!!!

jesus christ!!! by now, you must have a 225 lb linebacker that has 4% body fat,
18" biceps
size 18 cleats
has an iq of 200
has fathered two baby girls who are the next mother theresa, two boys one of which will win the nobel peace prize in 2026 and the other has a nose for the game of football having drawn up in excess of 10 possible pass plays that have the potential to be touchdowns every single time the play is ran.
has a metabolism that so high that he burns the calories before it even enters his digestive tract.
thinks that mad dog is a misunderstood big boned man that people like to call rerun
and to cap it all off, *drum roll*
this years middle linebacker for the texas long horns has twin 8" penii

stupid stupid whores

horninokc
10/4/2006, 10:35 PM
you guys must party like fu*&in pornstars daily down there in texas. I have been hearing for the last six years that this years starting linebacker is a step above and beyond last years model. "faster than last years and he can tackle"!!!!

jesus christ!!! by now, you must have a 225 lb linebacker that has 4% body fat,
18" biceps
size 18 cleats
has an iq of 200
has fathered two baby girls who are the next mother theresa, two boys one of which will win the nobel peace prize in 2026 and the other has a nose for the game of football having drawn up in excess of 10 possible pass plays that have the potential to be touchdowns every single time the play is ran.
has a metabolism that so high that he burns the calories before it even enters his digestive tract.
thinks that mad dog is a misunderstood big boned man that people like to call rerun
and to cap it all off, *drum roll*
this years middle linebacker for the texas long horns has twin 8" penii

stupid stupid whores

Well....yeah...Sergio. How'd you get his stats?

nytehorn
10/4/2006, 11:09 PM
Chizik likes speed, not size. Run between the tackles with a big bruiser like Peterson,(ala Lendale White), and see what happens. Our LB's will get ran over. I am hoping our front 4 can keep him darting to slow him down. Otherwise, if he has a hole and a full head of steam, watch out for the broken tackles. My prediction is that both teams score in the 30 point range, and it may be the winner is the team that scores last.

Joe Kane
10/4/2006, 11:18 PM
This game is going to remind me of when we played Michigan at the wolfden- last team to score wins. Or, the last team to throw an int, loses.

Luthor
10/5/2006, 09:32 AM
The key to stopping Peterson is denying him the edge. Even when he dipps inside he ends up on the outside. I think our DEs and not our LBs determine our success this game. I also think your TE's ability to block the edges will determine your success. Thompson's success will hinge on what Peterson does on 1st down.

sooneron
10/5/2006, 09:36 AM
The key to stopping Peterson is denying him the edge. Even when he dipps inside he ends up on the outside. I think our DEs and not our LBs determine our success this game. I also think your TE's ability to block the edges will determine your success. Thompson's success will hinge on what Peterson does on 1st down.
I honestly think that Peterson will get the ball maybe 60% of the time on 1st down. I expect a lot short passes off play action to the TE/Slot, around 7yds downfield. That will get the LBs on their heels and "even" up the push up front.

Jason White's Third Knee
10/5/2006, 09:37 AM
There are no Butkus candidates in the group (not yet - give Kindle a year or two) but it's probably the best group we've had since Mack has been here. No joke.

I find that hard to believe. DJ was incredible. Was the drop off to the other LBs so great that these no name guys rise above DJs group?

caphorns
10/5/2006, 09:41 AM
Geez, you are being a major phucktard today. LeeRoy was the tip of the iceberg, or shall I say the pinnacle of it? It was idiotic to make such a post that you were far richer at DT. Newsflash for you, tradition is usually something that is earned and repeated time and again, therefore, our greats of the past make up our tradition, along with Sooners of present. Tradition isn't something that suddenly pops up. I would think that a rival of aggy would know that. Relevant and recent usually don't go hand in hand with "tradition".

I've backed off of the word "MUCH" after you provided information eventually. I didn't know that there were so many Selmons. So sue me. It's not like I study OU football history from the 70s and 80s in detail. It's a solid history at DT. I made a statement and you countered it well eventually. But in between you showed your *** over and over again. Have a good time Saturday (at least before the game starts). Stay safe.

Jason White's Third Knee
10/5/2006, 09:42 AM

You are on the mark. Our team does play better in the second half though. A lot like texas did last year. First half they screwed around alot.

When AD gets that block from the TE he's good for 10+ yards. Texas will have to keep an eye on ENA though. He's got great wheels.

56-39-5
10/5/2006, 09:43 AM
I honestly think that Peterson will get the ball maybe 60% of the time on 1st down. I expect a lot short passes off play action to the TE/Slot, around 7yds downfield. That will get the LBs on their heels and "even" up the push up front.
i think that would be a wise gameplan.

sooners, our linebackers are good, and it happens to be a deep position. i don't think we're all world or anything, but to act like they are some no-namers is ridiculous. this group is very good, and is more balanced than in years past. maybe lacks a real standout at this point.
i don't expect kindle to have any impact on this game at all. i hope he does, obviously, but the guy has been injured since he got here and is just now healthy. because of that, he may even be a liability.

thehornsfan
10/5/2006, 09:44 AM
Robert Killebrew #40
Height: 6-2
Weight: 230
Class: Jr.-2L
Hometown: Spring, TX (Klein)

· Career statistics

Agressive, hard-hitting fourth-year linebacker who took over the starting job at strongside linebacker in the fourth game of 2005 … earned honorable mention All-Big 12 honors … played in all 13 games, starting 10, in 2005 … finished sixth on the team in tackles with 67 to go along with 10 TFL, four sacks, 10 pressures, three PBU, two forced fumbles, one fumble recovery and three blocked kicks … served as the top backup at weakside linebacker and played on special teams in 11 games in 2004 … totaled 15 tackles and two pressures on the year … gained valuable experience working at that spot as a redshirt in 2003 .

SOPHOMORE (2005)
Played in all 13 games, starting 10, at strongside linebacker and on special teams in 2005 … earned honorable mention All-Big 12 honors from The Associated Press and the league's coaches … key member of a defense that ranked 10th nationally in total defense (302.9 ypg), eighth in scoring defense (16.4 ppg), eighth in passing defense (172.0 ypg) and 33rd in rushing defense (130.9 ypg) … finished sixth on the team in tackles with 67 to go along with 10 TFL, four sacks, 10 pressures, three PBU, two forced fumbles, one fumble recovery and three blocked kicks … opened the season with six tackles, a sack and a pressure versus La.-Lafayette … added one tackle at No. 4 Ohio State … recorded seven tackles, a TFL and a pressure versus Rice … posted five tackles and a pressure in his first career start at Missouri … notched four tackles, including two TFL, a PBU and a pressure versus Oklahoma … tallied a career-high 10 tackles, a TFL and a PBU against No. 10 Texas Tech … added two stops, a PBU and blocked two punts at Oklahoma State … he became the first Longhorn to block two punts in a game since Terrol Dillon did it in 1999 … posted four tackles and two pressures at Baylor … notched five tackles, a sack, a pressure, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery against Kansas … matched his career high with 10 tackles, including four TFL and two sacks, to go along with a forced fumble and a pressure at Texas A&M … tallied seven tackles and a pressure in the Big 12 Championship … added six tackle in Texas' 41-38 victory over USC for the National Championship.

Jason White's Third Knee
10/5/2006, 09:45 AM
I've backed off of the word "MUCH" after you provided information eventually. I didn't know that there were so many Selmons. So sue me. It's not like I study OU football history from the 70s and 80s in detail. It's a solid history at DT. I made a statement and you countered it well eventually. But in between you showed your *** over and over again. Have a good time Saturday (at least before the game starts). Stay safe.

You should study OU football history from the 70s and 80s in detail. It's not like you have to study texas football history from then. What's the point? It's like studying France's war history during the 1900's.

Jason White's Third Knee
10/5/2006, 09:48 AM

sooners, our linebackers are good, and it happens to be a deep position. i don't think we're all world or anything, but to act like they are some no-namers is ridiculous. this group is very good, and is more balanced than in years past. maybe lacks a real standout at this point.
i don't expect kindle to have any impact on this game at all. i hope he does, obviously, but the guy has been injured since he got here and is just now healthy. because of that, he may even be a liability.

Nobody is saying that they aren't good. They just haven't garnered any press, so they are no-names. OU's defense in 2000 was a bunch of no-names too, but they ended up being BIG-names by the end of the year.

caphorns
10/5/2006, 09:50 AM
heh did you say derrick johnson was one of the elite linebackers in college football? says who? because he can tackle from behind and strip the ball? good lord you guys are sick sick people.

2004 Butkus award and finalist un 2003
Two time consensus first-team All American
3 time First Team All Big 12

He really couldn't be thought of as elite, could he?

sooneron
10/5/2006, 09:50 AM
uh huh, yeah
Showed my ***!:rolleyes:

sooneron
10/5/2006, 09:55 AM

I think a lot of doubt stems from the youth aspect. They seemed out of position a lot against tOSU. Not that we haven't looked out of place this year, either.

TexasLidig8r
10/5/2006, 10:06 AM
You should study OU football history from the 70s and 80s in detail. . .

Well.. that is a good way to learn about how the NCAA works regarding infractions, investigations and probations. :D

sooneron
10/5/2006, 10:08 AM
Well.. that is a good way to learn about how the NCAA works regarding infractions, investigations and probations. :D
Or we could go back to the 60s to study you guys. :D

caphorns
10/5/2006, 10:11 AM
You should study OU football history from the 70s and 80s in detail. It's not like you have to study texas football history from then. What's the point? It's like studying France's war history during the 1900's.

True enough. Just didn't know there were so many Selmons. Good report on FSN last night about how DRK spoon fed the wishbone offense to Barry. Damnit that part seriously ****es me off.

Crimson and Orange
10/5/2006, 10:14 AM
Texas doesn't have a rich history at LB.

You are correct. We did have quite a drought at LB. We had some good players, some all-conference, but nobody stellar for a good 20 years. The talent level was not great, but some blame for that goes to the dip**** coaches in the late 80s and 90s who kept changing the defensive scheme every year, or the moron whose name shall not be mentioned who somehow got a f***ing paycheck for the gameplan when Texas lost to both Rice and TCU in the mid 90s. "Read and React" is the name he called that steaming pile of dung.

Hey VIIIth, you old fart, before you provide us with any more of your football wisdom, the quality of which I rarely dispute, you really should add a signature line with your preseason predictions before the 1997 season. It contains the phrases "Coach John Blake" and "National Championship," two sets of words that should never appear in the same paragraph again. I still have a copy of that post, if you'd like to see it. ;)

I see AD getting 30 carries on Saturday and running for 150 yards. He's too good to keep down, and he's going to be really fired up for what is likely his last Texas game. He's the best running back in the country. The key to the game will be whether OU can run the play-action and use AD as a decoy well enough to take advantage of Texas stacking the line. If they can, it won't matter how well UT's linebackers plug the gaps and stop the outside run.

colleyvillesooner
10/5/2006, 10:14 AM
Or we could go back to the 60s to study your white guys. :D

fixed.

Jello Biafra
10/5/2006, 06:36 PM
2004 Butkus award and finalist un 2003
Two time consensus first-team All American
3 time First Team All Big 12

He really couldn't be thought of as elite, could he?

no he couldn't. could you name ANY of the other finalist the year he won it? i'd have to say he won by default. noone showed up that year and he rose to the top.

can you produce some stats? because im telling you lehman and calmus both had in excess of 125 tackles in their campaigns against actual college football teams. can you claim that? and don't give me that 193 tackles bull**** that lawrence flugence tried a few years back.