PDA

View Full Version : So this is how Fox news is portraying Foley now...

Hatfield
10/4/2006, 08:16 AM
http://www.bradblog.com/Images/FoxOReilly_MarkFoleyDEM_100306.jpg

http://www.newshounds.us/ssFoley_D_FL_sjihbo.jpg

fair and balanced all right. :rolleyes:

royalfan5
10/4/2006, 08:33 AM
Heh, that reminds me of the Simpsons episode that made fun of fox news.

IBTT
10/4/2006, 08:39 AM
I'm sure there is a reasonable answer for this...tell em Tuba...

SoonerBorn68
10/4/2006, 08:41 AM
I'm sure it was just because he acted like a liberal...;)

Sooner in Tampa
10/4/2006, 08:41 AM
It certainly could not have been an honest mistake.

SoonerBorn68
10/4/2006, 08:44 AM
For the record, Foley is a sick bastard. Liberal or conservative, he's a dirtbag.

Hatfield
10/4/2006, 08:59 AM
For the record, Foley is a sick bastard. Liberal or conservative, he's a dirtbag.

i don't think anyone (other than foley) would argue with that point.

but that isn't really what we are talking about here now is it?

i guess fox is fair and balanced since foley was a repub on cnn.... :D

SoonerBorn68
10/4/2006, 09:06 AM
Just chunking in the .02. I like Fox News & I'll continue to watch it. So they made a mistake or have an agenda. If it is an agenda that's fine with me. There are several other channels for others to watch.

JohnnyMack
10/4/2006, 09:23 AM
Just chunking in the .02. I like Fox News & I'll continue to watch it. So they made a mistake or have an agenda. If it is an agenda that's fine with me. There are several other channels for others to watch.

That's cool. It's not news at that point, but whatever.

NormanPride
10/4/2006, 09:26 AM
I'm sorry, but mistakes like that don't just happen. That's a biggie.

Hatfield
10/4/2006, 09:30 AM

it is nice to know you support the spread of ignorance and misinformation.

Sooner in Tampa
10/4/2006, 09:31 AM
That's cool. It's not news at that point, but whatever.So JM, tell us...exactly which news channel in this day and age is not pushing an "agenda/slant"?

Sooner in Tampa
10/4/2006, 09:31 AM
it is nice to know you support the spread of ignorance and misinformation.:rolleyes:

That really seems to be a bit over the top.

Fugue
10/4/2006, 09:37 AM
So JM, tell us...exactly which news channel in this day and age is not pushing an "agenda/slant"?

Air America? :texan:

Hatfield
10/4/2006, 09:38 AM
:rolleyes:

That really seems to be a bit over the top.

it is a bit over the top, but the point remains the same. If you support something that has an agenda and that agenda is to misinform the people viewing its product well....

and i believe jm wasn't speaking to other "news" sources, he was just pointing out that when you interject your slant or misinformation into your "news" well...it ain't news.

Hatfield
10/4/2006, 09:40 AM
Air America? :texan:

they aren't pushing an agenda anymore, because they went belly up. :P

air america was/is a liberal radio station.

i see a difference between them and fox news as focus news pretends they aren't the same thing (agenda wise) as air america.

at least air america was upfront about what they were....until they ran themselves into the ground.

handcrafted
10/4/2006, 09:42 AM
Foley's a RINO anyway. If the shoe fits...

Fugue
10/4/2006, 09:43 AM

i see a difference between them and fox news as focus news pretends they aren't the same thing (agenda wise) as air america.

at least air america was upfront about what they were....until they ran themselves into the ground.

they did go belly up? I knew they were in salvage mode but I thought they bought some time.

I agree, Fox leans right but I also think some lean left. imho
I end up watching multiple stations and then just average out what I hear. :D

JohnnyMack
10/4/2006, 09:44 AM
So JM, tell us...exactly which news channel in this day and age is not pushing an "agenda/slant"?

I didn't say any of them weren't. I wasn't promoting one over the other, just making an observation.

Sooner in Tampa
10/4/2006, 09:46 AM

at least air america was upfront about what they were....until they ran themselves into the ground.Hence why they no longer exists. :P

KABOOKIE
10/4/2006, 09:47 AM
Well, Snuphaluphagus on ABC had me convinced this morning there was a Cat 3 Hurricane off the coast and it’s about to make land fall. Of course I really got confused when he said, “If the hurricane comes ashore, then it’ll be bad news for the Republicans.” WTF? It was then I realized this is how ABC was portraying the Foley incident. I guess in terms the average southern voter could understand. :rolleyes:

Hatfield
10/4/2006, 09:49 AM
was he talking about the drink or the act of bush..errr. nature ;)

TopDawg
10/4/2006, 09:56 AM
FOX News should just change it's name to FOX Stuff. I don't care if they go so far right it makes Pat Robertson blush, just stop calling what you do "news" because it's not. If you want to put a right-wing slant on the goings-on of the world, so be it. But stop MAKING UP the goings-on of the world.

BeetDigger
10/4/2006, 10:00 AM

If by "ran themselves into the ground" you mean "had too few listeners", then I agree.

leavingthezoo
10/4/2006, 10:00 AM
it's OK people. by the time the show ran for a second time FOX corrected the problem by dropping the (D-FL) and replaced it with... well, nothing.

oh, that silly fox.

Hatfield
10/4/2006, 10:07 AM
If by "ran themselves into the ground" you mean "had too few listeners", then I agree.

no that isn't what i meant.

their audience was also a problem, but the initial mismanagement seemingly doomed it from the start.

BeetDigger
10/4/2006, 10:07 AM

Don't know if this is a mistake or part of an "agenda". However, if you think that it is part of an agenda, then I think you are being too cynical. This isn't pushing an agenda, if this was done on purpose, then this is just lying. I can't think that they would go out of their way to lie. Having an agenda means giving one side more time than the other, portraying things out of context, down-playing certain items,... Time Magazines doctoring of the OJ photo on its cover is a great example of having an agenda.

I am sure that you have been and will continue to be ever vigilant and when CNN, CBS, CNBC, ABC,... do something like this, you will be there to point it out for us.

SoonerBorn68
10/4/2006, 10:08 AM
That's cool. It's not news at that point, but whatever.

Really? That's what CNN & CBS has been callin' it for years.

Choices man, lots of choices. You're free to use any one you'd like.

KABOOKIE
10/4/2006, 10:08 AM
FOX News should just change it's name to FOX Stuff. I don't care if they go so far right it makes Pat Robertson blush, just stop calling what you do "news" because it's not. If you want to put a right-wing slant on the goings-on of the world, so be it. But stop MAKING UP the goings-on of the world.

Maybe they should change it to the Fox Show? Maybe we should watch CNN? Errr... I mean CSN.

Bourbon St Sooner
10/4/2006, 10:09 AM
Haven't you guys considered that the D stands for Dumbass or *********?

BeetDigger
10/4/2006, 10:11 AM
no that isn't what i meant.

their audience was also a problem, but the initial mismanagement seemingly doomed it from the start.

Hving plenty of money (i.e. plenty of listeners) would have allowed them to go through a restructuring if indeed managment was the problem. Fact is, not enough people purchased the product.

SoonerBorn68
10/4/2006, 10:15 AM
it is nice to know you support the spread of ignorance and misinformation.

You started this thread as flamebait & are now trying to bait me. Not going to happen. Your opinion is just that, an opinion. So much for freedom of the press. :rolleyes:

BoogercountySooner
10/4/2006, 10:15 AM
Foley was molested by a liberal Democratic Father as a young boy thus making him a Democrat now!

That is All!:D :D

JohnnyMack
10/4/2006, 10:20 AM
Really? That's what CNN & CBS has been callin' it for years.

Choices man, lots of choices. You're free to use any one you'd like.

Again I'm not advocating one source over another. I'm just saying that if you choose a source for your "news" and you know it's biased towards what you want to hear instead of what is real than are you doing yourself any favors? It's tough because the way a story on say an event in Iraq is portrayed by CBS, Fox News, the BBC and Al Jazeera is all going to be different because they're all catering to different audiences. There's one truth, but each one of those agencies will spin the story to meet their needs. My initial post wasn't a shot at you (sorry if it seemed like it was), more of a shot at the media in general. I know it's naive to think that media outlets don't spin news stories and pander to their bread and butter audiences, but it is frustrating to have to put up with it.

leavingthezoo
10/4/2006, 10:20 AM
moths are drawn to flames. it's not the flames fault. is it?

let me check with my news sources. :D

leavingthezoo
10/4/2006, 10:22 AM
this just in: FOX says moths are democrats, and the flame probably is too, so it's the democrats fault.

CBS and CNN says the story was just too good to wait for pesky confirmation.

Independant News Sources (a three year old child) says "I want milk!"

we are still waiting for confirmation on the milk. as of now, it is not claiming party affiliation.

:D

BoogercountySooner
10/4/2006, 10:23 AM
Again I'm not advocating one source over another. I'm just saying that if you choose a source for your "news" and you know it's biased towards what you want to hear instead of what is real than are you doing yourself any favors? It's tough because the way a story on say an event in Iraq is portrayed by CBS, Fox News, the BBC and Al Jazeera is all going to be different because they're all catering to different audiences. There's one truth, but each one of those agencies will spin the story to meet their needs. My initial post wasn't a shot at you (sorry if it seemed like it was), more of a shot at the media in general. I know it's naive to think that media outlets don't spin news stories and pander to their bread and butter audiences, but it is frustrating to have to put up with it.

I'm drawn to a Sooner Message board because I get to read what I want to read. Does that make me wrong?:D

TopDawg
10/4/2006, 10:30 AM
Whether this is a mistake or agenda-pushing, it reflects very poorly on FOX's ability to report the news. They're either shady, dumb or lazy.

crawfish
10/4/2006, 10:32 AM
Wow, I wish I had a FOX-blocker on my TV or something.

BeetDigger
10/4/2006, 10:35 AM
Whether this is a mistake or agenda-pushing, it reflects very poorly on FOX's ability to report the news. They're either shady, dumb or lazy.

Sincerely,

Jason Blair
ex - NY Times

:eek:

NormanPride
10/4/2006, 10:43 AM
I look at Fox like I look at James Hale. Sure, it's news in a sense. But you've got to get through a lot of cheerleading and softball questions to get the really good stuff.

KABOOKIE
10/4/2006, 10:53 AM
Fox is just doing their part to be Fair and Balanced. When Foley was in Congress he was a Republican. Hence, all the spots of him BEFORE he resigned were "Foley (R-FL)". Now that we've found out he's a homo-child-molesting-pervert it's obvious he's a Democrat now. Duh people.

Okla-homey
10/4/2006, 11:03 AM
You know, I bet there wouldn't be half the "outrage" if this guy had been IM'ing 17 y/o females. I think the outrage must mostly be because America thinks gheyness among Elephants is sick and perverted.

Hatfield
10/4/2006, 11:05 AM
You know, I bet there wouldn't be half the "outrage" if this guy had been IM'ing 17 y/o females. I think the outrage must mostly be because America thinks gheyness among Elephants is sick and perverted.

i think some of the "outrage" comes from the positions he held.

n8v_ndn
10/4/2006, 11:06 AM
In FOX's vernacular, (D-FL) means 'Degenerate-F@g Licker'. Read your Right Wing Operations Field Manual, people!

Okla-homey
10/4/2006, 11:15 AM
i think some of the "outrage" comes from the positions he held.

I have no idea about the positions he prefers.

I do know the teens he was allegedly getting chatty with were underage and all, and I would personally kick the a$$ of any adult d00d who suggestively IM'd my kid when she was 17 BUT, IMHO, if all he did was send nasty text messages, its not quite the same thing as pedophile weird-os who like little kids and seek the kids out for corresondence and much worse.

Seriously, does anyone allege he ever did anything with any of the teens? Any lurid details of clandestine "randy"-voos, etc.?

Rhino
10/4/2006, 11:21 AM
Whether this is a mistake or agenda-pushing, it reflects very poorly on FOX's ability to report the news. They're either shady, dumb or lazy. We have a winner.

KaiserSooner
10/4/2006, 11:24 AM
Well, I wouldn't put it past them to intentionally use D instead of an R.

In the end though, it really doesn't matter. They're only fooling the mindless robots who watch Fox, and it's not like they're going to vote for anything other than an R anyway.

I look at Fox like I look at James Hale. Sure, it's news in a sense. But you've got to get through a lot of cheerleading and softball questions to get the really good stuff.

Good comparison there. I can't stand either one of 'em.

handcrafted
10/4/2006, 11:28 AM

Signed,

Dan Rather

Fixed.

KaiserSooner
10/4/2006, 11:28 AM
Seriously, does anyone allege he ever did anything with any of the teens? Any lurid details of clandestine "randy"-voos, etc.?

Well, I think whoever is doing the investigating is still trying to find some facts. In one of the emails released by ABC, Foley said something about having a good time in San Diego, and having missed the kid since seeing him in San Diego.

It doesn't mean they necessarily did anything, but it's something to be looked in to.

SCOUT
10/4/2006, 11:31 AM
Yeah Fox doesn't have the ability to report the news. CNN would never do something like this.
http://wizbangblog.com/images/2005/11/cheney.jpg

KABOOKIE
10/4/2006, 11:36 AM
No ****. I wanna hear where all the Fox haters get their news. Should be hilarious. :rolleyes:

BeetDigger
10/4/2006, 11:39 AM
No ****. I wanna hear where all the Fox haters get their news. Should be hilarious. :rolleyes:

Haven't you been paying attention? The answer is CNN, NY Times, CBS. You know, places that never bias a story and who have never made a mistake.

Okla-homey
10/4/2006, 11:40 AM

"The Daily Show" d00d. Or blogs. Everyone knows that.:rolleyes:

Czar Soonerov
10/4/2006, 11:48 AM

http://www.crystalair.com/content.php?id=78200610002

NAMBLA To Support Foley
http://www.crystalair.com/stories/200610/200610002.jpg
NEW YORK (CAP) - Citing a "philosophical kinship of karmic proportions," the North American Man/Boy Love Association (NAMBLA) has announced that it is planning on throwing its full support behind the re-election of embattled page-enamored ex-Congressman Mark Foley.

"Mark and I see eye to eye, which is not an easy feat when you're on your knees," NAMBLA spokesman Bradley "Uncle Brad" White told reporters from the steps of a Queens post office where NAMBLA is headquartered. "Plus, homeboy just has some great moves. My NAMBLA brothers and I are huge fans."

Uncle Brad pointed to some of the many Foley accomplishments that make him a hero of the NAMBLA movement and a shoe-in for this year's NAMBLA Bronze Boy Magnet award. From his co-chairmanship of the Congressional Missing and Exploited Children's Caucus to the 47 boys to whom he was a Big Brother, Foley always held himself up as a defender of children and "the go-to guy when a boy just needed a man," claimed Uncle Brad.

And then there were the Blow Pops.

"One of the first things that Mark did upon his election to Congress was to make the official NAMBLA candy, the Blow Pop, the official candy of Congress. I can still remember the photo-op: middle-aged men and pages, all with Blow Pops puffing out their cheeks. It was beautiful, man," Uncle Brad said, his eye and voice trailing away as a school bus seductively rolled down the street.

Despite the fact that Mark Foley is not seeking to retain his seat, Uncle Brad said that NAMBLA will host a series of camping trip fundraisers over the next month.

In related news... A source close to Mark Foley has confirmed to CAP News that the ex-Congressman has entered a rehab facility to treat his alcoholism. "Mark doesn't like little boys," the anonymous source said. "Jim Beam though, that bastard loves 'em long time."

NormanPride
10/4/2006, 11:49 AM
I get my news from you guys. Less money behind the story.

Rhino
10/4/2006, 11:53 AM
Welcome to today's United States of America, where there can only be two sides to an issue, if you're not with us you're against us, your side is never wrong and the other side always is and if your side is found to be wrong, well...they did it too!

Penguin
10/4/2006, 11:53 AM
I quit watching Fox when they kept pushing the term "homicide bomber."

What a bunch of morons. Does the word "suicide" give these people more glory?

Do they still say homicide bomber? I haven't watched Fox in years.

BTW, if anybody cares, I get my news from the local 10 pm news. If I'm interested in a national story, I'll check out Drudge or the Houston Chronicle website.

Hatfield
10/4/2006, 12:20 PM
I have no idea about the positions he prefers.

i was speaking to the fact that he chaired the comm. on protecting children from internet predators.

49r
10/4/2006, 12:44 PM
I quit watching Fox when they kept pushing the term "homicide bomber."

What a bunch of morons. Does the word "suicide" give these people more glory?

Do they still say homicide bomber? I haven't watched Fox in years.

BTW, if anybody cares, I get my news from the local 10 pm news. If I'm interested in a national story, I'll check out Drudge or the Houston Chronicle website.

Because what you don't know could KILL you!!!

LIVE! LOCAL!! LATEBREAKING!!!!

All news sucks ***

Beef
10/4/2006, 01:18 PM
I just get my news from the SO. That way I can get one post of fact, a bunch of funny arguing over whether it is fact, and then have it escalade into a discussion about tittays.

Beef
10/4/2006, 01:18 PM
And I watch Fox News with the volume down bc most of the Fox chicks are hawt.

NormanPride
10/4/2006, 01:23 PM
Beef, I aspire to be just like you.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/4/2006, 01:30 PM
I'm sorry, but mistakes like that don't just happen. That's a biggie.

Ask that of CNN and thier "big" mistakes...Irs all crap, just what crap you want to watch...Oh, for my $.02, There are no journalists today, just muck rakers and people asking for comments on a comment by some other person. I really haven't seen "real" journalism in some time.

BTW, all this October surprise the dems are doing...good job, warning everyone about repub o.s. and then you go out and start pumping out the info...Love how everyone knew about Foley and it comes out after his primary...Also, the dems are supposed coming out in the next weeks a list of gay repubs and outing them...Desperation is not a word for the dems...

KaiserSooner
10/4/2006, 03:35 PM

I responded to this several hours ago, but I'm not seeing it now.

I get my news from a pretty wide array of sources. I don't watch much tv news, but if I do it's usually CNN or MSNBC.

Most of my news comes from the Internet, though from far too many for me to name. The ones that I check with any regularity are Drudge, Slate, the BBC, the NY Times, and the Economist. I try to read the print version of the Economist whenever I can get my hands on it.

KaiserSooner
10/4/2006, 03:36 PM
Desperation is not a word for the dems

Desperation? They're not the ones in power, or in danger of losing power.

KABOOKIE
10/4/2006, 04:06 PM

Couldn't have said it any better.

NormanPride
10/4/2006, 04:22 PM
Ask that of CNN and thier "big" mistakes...Irs all crap, just what crap you want to watch...Oh, for my $.02, There are no journalists today, just muck rakers and people asking for comments on a comment by some other person. I really haven't seen "real" journalism in some time.

BTW, all this October surprise the dems are doing...good job, warning everyone about repub o.s. and then you go out and start pumping out the info...Love how everyone knew about Foley and it comes out after his primary...Also, the dems are supposed coming out in the next weeks a list of gay repubs and outing them...Desperation is not a word for the dems...

Easy, buddy. My fiance is a journalist, and she works her *** off getting the stories she writes. But I know what you mean about some of the "journalism" that goes on. I just hope you realize that as off as the facts sometimes seem, there is a lot of research that goes into them.

And none of the muckracking should surprise you in politics. It's not what you can do anymore, it's what the other person has done wrong.

TopDawg
10/4/2006, 04:56 PM
Thanks to those witty enough to edit my post to poke fun at the NY Times and CBS. No doubt those were embarrasing situations at each of those media outlets.

Of course, with those two it's more like when something bad happens inside the OU football program. Yeah, it's unfortunate and embarrasing, but our overall track record shows that we're pretty clean (sure, they may be left-leaning if you believe right-leaning conspiracy theorists, but at least they have a track record of reporting actual facts). With FOX, it's more like when something happens at Miami.

TopDawg
10/4/2006, 04:59 PM

Like others, from a variety of sources.

Some are obviously left-leaning (not far-left, but left). Most aren't. But I figure it's always better to get your news from a source that's left (or even right)-leaning, than fiction-leaning.

BeetDigger
10/4/2006, 05:30 PM
I responded to this several hours ago, but I'm not seeing it now.

I get my news from a pretty wide array of sources. I don't watch much tv news, but if I do it's usually CNN or MSNBC.

Most of my news comes from the Internet, though from far too many for me to name. The ones that I check with any regularity are Drudge, Slate, the BBC, the NY Times, and the Economist. I try to read the print version of the Economist whenever I can get my hands on it.

And that wide array of sources have also made mistakes as well as tried to purposely mislead, of which some examples have been posted in this very thread. I don't know why Fox is being singled out vs. those other trusted sources other than because the issue at hand with Fox implies the conservatives trying to pin something on the democrats. To me, this entire thread is much ado about nothing.

TopDawg
10/4/2006, 05:34 PM
I don't know why Fox is being singled out vs. those other trusted sources

There is your answer. The other sources are trusted.

FOX isn't.

Jerk
10/4/2006, 05:35 PM
Oh yeah.

Here we go.

Where were you lefty socialists when CBS forged documents and created a story meant to destroy Bush and alter the 2004 election? Did any of you denounce CBS and Rather? FOX may have just made a mistake. You know, that happens.

I have an idea:

You lefties can watch your news and us righties will watch our news. It's called freedom of choice. People aren't forced to decide between liberal networks anymore.

Deal with it.

Jerk
10/4/2006, 05:39 PM
Real honest, Top Dog. Not a more truthful bunch on Earth.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rathergate

TopDawg
10/4/2006, 05:39 PM
It's called freedom of choice.

I thought you righties were against that.

TopDawg
10/4/2006, 05:40 PM
Real honest, Top Dog. Not a more truthful bunch on Earth.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rathergate

How does that relate to what I wrote?

Jerk
10/4/2006, 05:43 PM
Here, Top Dog. More honesty from honest people, just for you, because you like the truth:

http://archives.cjr.org/year/98/5/cnn.asp

http://www.fair.org/extra/9808/tailwind.html

In July, CNN (and corporate sibling Time) retracted reports that U.S. special forces operating illegally in Laos in 1970 had used nerve gas as part of "Operation Tailwind," which targeted American defectors.

Based on months of research and interviews conducted primarily by CNN producer April Oliver, along with senior producer Jack Smith (with correspondent Peter Arnett used mainly for star power and "marketing purposes"), the reports contained on-air, on-the-record comments from several Tailwind participants to the effect that sarin nerve gas was used and that U.S. defectors were killed (CNN Newsstand, 6/7/98, 6/14/98; see also CNN Talkback Live, 6/8/98). But CNN’s presentation of the evidence was marred by overreaching--with inadequate time given to Tailwind veterans and experts who disputed the conclusion that sarin had been used.

Jerk
10/4/2006, 05:46 PM
How does that relate to what I wrote?
Huh? You are accusing Fox of dishonesty because you say 'they are not trusted'

I'm giving you a prime example here of what dishonesty is.

Speaking of freedom of choice, from what I hear, if you libs keep aborting your own children, there aren't going to be very many libs in the future. So now I'm on the fence with regards to the abortion issue. Maybe it's a good thing afterall. Pro-choice all the way! If you're a left wing socialist/feminist, please do the world a favor and do not pass on your genes.

leavingthezoo
10/4/2006, 05:52 PM
well now this thread is complete. :D

BeetDigger
10/4/2006, 05:56 PM
There is your answer. The other sources are trusted.

FOX isn't.

By those who are biased against it, I don't doubt you. Using your logic, we wouldn't trust CBS, Time, the NY Times, Drudge, ... See you've proven my point, the left holds Fox to one standard that it doesn't hold other outlets to.

TopDawg
10/4/2006, 05:58 PM
Huh? You are accusing Fox of dishonesty because you say 'they are not trusted'

I'm giving you a prime example here of what dishonesty is.

We can sit here and throw examples of poor reporting back and forth until the cows come home. I'm saying that FOX is not trusted, not that they are the only ones who make mistakes. The other networks have a long history of solid reporting with a few black eyes here and there. FOX has no such history and has never even had the appearance of being "fair" and/or "balanced." That's why they are not trusted by most.

Now if you want to cloud the issue even more by arguing against a point I didn't make, go right ahead. But I'll remind you that I didn't say FOX was the only station to ever mess up or be dishonest, just that they weren't trusted. Which, I think, speaks to the post I was referring to.

TopDawg
10/4/2006, 06:00 PM
By those who are biased against it, I don't doubt you. Using your logic, we wouldn't trust CBS, Time, the NY Times, Drudge, ... See you've proven my point, the left holds Fox to one standard that it doesn't hold other outlets to.

Throw out the right and the left. Of course they have strong biases against various news media. The thing that condemns FOX is that moderates don't trust it either.

mdklatt
10/4/2006, 06:11 PM
Throw out the right and the left. Of course they have strong biases against various news media. The thing that condemns FOX is that moderates don't trust it either.

But don't you see, there's no such thing as a moderate anymore. Even if you voted for Bush in 2000 you're a "dirty lib" as soon as you say one thing that doesn't amount to Republican jock sniffing.

Jerk
10/4/2006, 06:11 PM

That depends on who and what you think a moderate is. If your definition of 'moderate' is Hugo Chavez, Barney Frank, and Jane Fonda, then we're going to have a hard time agreeing on terms.

BeetDigger
10/4/2006, 06:13 PM

Is this based upon fact or opinion? If fact, I'd like to see the source. I suppose one could look at the ratings for Fox vs. CNN and CNBC which might give some evidence to this. I don't know what the ratings are for any of them, so this is an honest question.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/4/2006, 11:40 PM

Yes, desperate to get back into power to do anything to get it back...Now the repubs have been falling over themselves to abbott and costello it, but the dems have been sitting on stuff licking their chops. The Foley "breaking" news, the fighting the TX Repubs to FORCE Delay to remain on the ballot, there are others. The dems ARE desperate to regain power...It is sick, and I am sick of politics. They are ALL as$hats and they all should be wiped out of office and perhaps we can find honest and integrity in people to take office and work for the country, not the "washington inteligencia"!

TheHumanAlphabet
10/4/2006, 11:43 PM
Easy, buddy. My fiance is a journalist, and she works her *** off getting the stories she writes. But I know what you mean about some of the "journalism" that goes on. I just hope you realize that as off as the facts sometimes seem, there is a lot of research that goes into them.

And none of the muckracking should surprise you in politics. It's not what you can do anymore, it's what the other person has done wrong.

I no doubt think there are people who actually work. I new several at one time. However, today, the national media is part of the political landscape, not as independent arbiters of information, but as shills that help push an agenda, i.e., CBS and memogate, now ABC - yeah, Foley is scum, but this was known a year ago, why sit on it to just before the election, CNN shilling the European "enlightened" viewpoint and jacking the U.S. at every turn...I could list others. I have stopped watching news and feel much better and less stressed since I did that...

TopDawg
10/5/2006, 12:22 AM
Is this based upon fact or opinion?

Well, there are lies, damn lies, and statistics. Ratings can be a little misleading in this discussion because there are so many things we'd need to control for that the ratings don't take into consideration.

So this is mostly based on my observations, but here is a link to a report released in May of 05 that tends to back it up, with some quotes (with my emphasis added) pulled from the site:
http://www.journalism.org/node/900

The Pew Research Center for the People & the Press has been asking the public about the "believability" of different news organizations for the past 19 years.

But when the Project delved further into the Pew Research Center's data on news consumption, we found that while partisan divisions exist between what outlets people find credible, similar divides to not exist with regard to news consumption. (me - This is part of why I feel ratings won't reflect what we're looking for.) Republicans who respond that they distrust a news organization will actually watch it in the same proportions as those who trust it. The same is true for Democrats and Independents.

In other words, the idea that there are "Red" and "Blue" news media has been overstated. There is an exception to this, and that is the cable networks. Perhaps unsurprisingly, viewership of the Fox News Channel tends to be more heavily Republican.

Those paragraphs leads into the figure that tends to relate most closely to this:

In order, the 6 networks found most credible ("Believability of select news sources") by...

Republicans were:
Fox News
CNN
60 Minutes
Wall Street Journal
C-Span
Local TV News

Democrats were:
CNN
60 Minutes
C-Span
ABC News
CBS News
NPR

Independents were:
60 Minutes
CNN
C-Span
US News
NBC News
NewsHour

So when it comes to believability (which seems to correlate to "trust") of select news sources, FOX News doesn't show up in the Top 6 for Democrats or Independents.

Again, this is just one study, but it seems to be very closely tied to what we're looking at and appears to come from a pretty reliable group. But this is mostly just my observation. Several of the moderates, indeed even some of the conservatives, on this very message board dismiss FOX News as unreliable or untrustworthy. True, they may feel the same about others, but the feelings seem to be more widespread when it comes to FOX.

usmc-sooner
10/5/2006, 07:35 AM

don't watch Fox, then.

You and the rest of the left keep claiming it's some right wing news station but you let a typo get your panties in a bunch.

Hatfield
10/5/2006, 07:47 AM
if it is just a typo then why did they "fix" it by removing the text altogether instead of putting the R by his name?

and senor jerk....the claim of where were you lefties blah blah when cbs et al made their foolish "errors"...selective memory is cool and all but just because you now try to edit the past by acting like we (at least I) didn't speak negatively against the actions is childish and factually inaccuarate.

News is news so I don't understand how people in this thread can say "you guys watch your news and we will watch ours" that type of attitude is complacent with the futher division of the public by creating a more ignorant public.

OklahomaTuba
10/5/2006, 08:10 AM
Yeah, it's unfortunate and embarrasing, but our overall track record shows that we're pretty clean (sure, they may be left-leaning if you believe right-leaning conspiracy theorists, but at least they have a track record of reporting actual facts). With FOX, it's more like when something happens at Miami.

Yeah, cause using forged memos about the President weeks before the election somehow equal to a typo.

If only we could all live in the fantasyland.

OklahomaTuba
10/5/2006, 08:12 AM
News is news so I don't understand how people in this thread can say "you guys watch your news and we will watch ours" that type of attitude is complacent with the futher division of the public by creating a more ignorant public.

Seems that Fox is becoming everyone's news, as it has the ratings of CNN and Misses NBC combined it looks like.

Hatfield
10/5/2006, 08:36 AM
Yeah, cause using forged memos about the President weeks before the election somehow equal to a typo.

If only we could all live in the fantasyland.

please tell me you at least see the little bit of irony in your post.

i will give you a hint:

weeks before the election
"typo"

and for the record if they would have corrected it with an R for their 11 o'clock showing I probably wouldn't be as angry, but the decision to keep the R as far from him as possible, to me, shows it was a concious decision.

mdklatt
10/5/2006, 10:12 AM
Seems that Fox is becoming everyone's news, as it has the ratings of CNN and Misses NBC combined it looks like.

Apparently "everyone" = half.

Bourbon St Sooner
10/5/2006, 10:31 AM
I get all my news from Pravda, you capitalist scum!

Chuck Bao
10/5/2006, 10:49 AM
At least you aren't under martial law where no news can be shown critical of the military junta.

Wait a sec, Fox news probably would fit in here with its rightwing propaganda.

NormanPride
10/5/2006, 11:14 AM
Did someone actually say that if the Democrats keep aborting all their babies there won't be any left? Wow!