PDA

View Full Version : This game comes down to Coaching

cobrapilot
10/3/2006, 08:30 PM
And you know what that means!!!!

I think the talent this year is probably the most evenly matched since Stoops arrived at OU.

We know tha Mack and Greg are back to the boring east west offense.

We know that coach takeaknee and coach windisblowing will play it close to the vest

We also know Stoops will have a new play just for texass and will cram the ball down their throats with it.

Face it loser whorns Stoops owns Mack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sooners win 30-7

TEXAS12345
10/3/2006, 11:14 PM

I think the talent this year is probably the most evenly matched since Stoops arrived at OU.

We know that coach takeaknee and coach windisblowing will play it close to the vest

We also know Stoops will have a new play just for texass and will cram the ball down their throats with it.

Sooners win 30-7

I guess by the lack of replys, no one agrees with you!

I agree about GD though...he sux!

picasso
10/3/2006, 11:26 PM
I think it will come down to which QB can disguise his "hut hut" the best.

instigator
10/4/2006, 12:03 PM
I think it will come down to which QB can disguise his "hut hut" the best.
:D :texan:

BIG_IKE
10/4/2006, 12:17 PM

Sooners win 30-7

I want the Sooners to win but come on man....you sound like a delusional whorn would. Since I see no sarcasm, I assume your being serious. Explain what you have seen that would support 30-7. In all honesty, if the game were based on talent alone, UT should win this game. But no game is based on talent alone. As much as we hate to admit it, they are loaded this year. We will win on heart and coaching, not on talent or depth. Because they have equal to better talent than us and much mre depth. Their downfalls are that they are Whorns and they have MAck Brown. Downfalls that can turn the tide of a game.

But 30-7...? I'd LOVE to see it, but it sounds a little dillusional at this point.

FlatheadSooner
10/4/2006, 12:34 PM
OUr offense has proven itself worthy this year.

If we don't make a lot of mistakes and OUr defense shows up, like it did last week, we have a good chance of winning. :cool:

I think the only way we win big is if Whorns make too many mistakes. :)

Texas_Rose
10/4/2006, 12:39 PM
I guess Mack will have to win numerous MNC's before he will get any respect. I agree that Greg Davis has sucked in the past. Over the last two years I think he has listened to his critics and opened up the play book a bit. If he calls plays Saturday like he did 2001 to 2004, then I will re-evaluate my feelings towards him. But he has shown some nice play calling the last two years. I will reserve judgement until I see the game Saturday. I just hope it's a close game because we all know that they are much more exciting than a blowout either way.

Hook'em!

caphorns
10/4/2006, 12:43 PM
This game comes down to couchie?

Lord I hope that's not who we are relying on.

TUSooner
10/4/2006, 12:51 PM
I think it comes down to
Paul Thompson = man >>>>> Colt McCoy = widdle kiddie in a footbal suit

56-39-5
10/4/2006, 12:54 PM
I think it comes down to
Paul Thompson = man >>>>> Colt McCoy = widdle kiddie in a footbal suit
maybe so, however, your quarterback is going to be hit all day long. your o-line should be a major concern.

The Maestro
10/4/2006, 12:57 PM
In all honesty, if the game were based on talent alone, UT should win this game.

So break it down on talent. I disagree. I think we have more talent. I really do. As far as playmakers go. Blalock, Studdard and Sendlein are the only three horn starters on offense that I would trade for. I prefer our running back, QB, receivers, tight ends and the other two O-lineman are basic equals at this point.

On defense, give me Okam and Ross and I'll take the rest of our defense over the horns. Oh, sure...some might argue with more DB's and other lineman, but I like our ends, Bennett, our LB's, Smith, Harris and Williams in the defensive backfield. Hell, if Marcus Walker is healthy and plays like he did at Oregon there is no reason not to keep him as well. I like our kicking game people as well.

It should be a tight game, but the talent level is fairly equal, with the edge in gamebreakers to OU, in my opinion. Big playmakers win games at this level. Just ask the horns since VY is no longer there. Give me PT, AD, Kelley, Iglesias and Finley on offense...Ah You, Birdine, Rufus, Smith and Harris on defense. The stars will shine brightly this Saturday and I say that favors OU, not texas.

JohnnyMack
10/4/2006, 12:57 PM
I guess Mack will have to win numerous MNC's before he will get any respect. I agree that Greg Davis has sucked in the past. Over the last two years I think he has listened to his critics and opened up the play book a bit. If he calls plays Saturday like he did 2001 to 2004, then I will re-evaluate my feelings towards him. But he has shown some nice play calling the last two years. I will reserve judgement until I see the game Saturday. I just hope it's a close game because we all know that they are much more exciting than a blowout either way.

Hook'em!

The only smart thing :mack: and Greg Davis have evar done is STOP COACHING VY and letting him run the show. From right after the 2004 RRS (when we shut you out) until VY left you were unstoppable. That was the same time period that Greg Davis was letting VY do whatever the hell he wanted. Coincidence? I don't happen to think so. Greg Davis is a fu*king idiot. Mack Brown should fire his a** and send him to his proper career as a door greeter at a Wal-Mart. Although if he did that, we might have to worry about getting someone in their with an football IQ that was in double digits.

Herr Scholz
10/4/2006, 12:58 PM
Coaching? UT has a better staff than OU right now. Brent Vulnerable and Bobby Jack Wright? :D Gene Chizik and Duane Akina are both better than them. We also have the best OL coach in the biz, McWhorter. Kevin Wilson vs. Greg Davis? A push at best. What has Wilson proven? Nothing yet. Davis has a national title ring as well.

caphorns
10/4/2006, 12:58 PM
Paul Thompson = wide receiver. Bob Stoops said so himself.

JohnnyMack
10/4/2006, 01:05 PM
maybe so, however, your quarterback is going to be hit all day long. your o-line should be a major concern.

Keep thinkin' that.

56-39-5
10/4/2006, 01:06 PM
the nod at quarterback has to go to pt at this point - he's experienced and his players look up to him.
that isn't to say colt might not have a better game. in fact, i think he will. our line will protect him and give him time. theirs wont.

JohnnyMack
10/4/2006, 01:06 PM
Coaching? UT has a better staff than OU right now. Brent Vulnerable and Bobby Jack Wright? :D Gene Chizik and Duane Akina are both better than them. We also have the best OL coach in the biz, McWhorter. Kevin Wilson vs. Greg Davis? A push at best. What has Wilson proven? Nothing yet. Davis has a national title ring as well.

I generally respect most things you say around here, but don't go on about Greg Davis and his ring. D00d is a no-talent a** clown and you know it. I could coach Saxet's offense with all that talent.

JohnnyMack
10/4/2006, 01:07 PM
the nod at quarterback has to go to pt at this point - he's experienced and his players look up to him.
that isn't to say colt might not have a better game. in fact, i think he will. our line will protect him and give him time. theirs wont.

He's proven he doesn't need a lot of time to miss reads and throw into double coverage.

tnraider1
10/4/2006, 01:13 PM
I don't think Paul will have any problems finding time. Your LB's will be too busy watching AD to be able to blitz. If they bring the blitz too often, AD's going to toast them up the middle. My major concern is AD getting hit in the backfield too often. Lesser defensive lines have been busting through and hitting AD early and often. Even MTSU had a few stops for loss in the first half. Doesn't bode well for the Sooners if this happens on Saturday.

caphorns
10/4/2006, 01:24 PM
You like your defense more than they deserve based on the results to date. Here's my generalizations though based on units:

QB - Push. Based on PT's experience level alone, I'd think you guys may have it better based on current levels of performance. But PT is a better WR than QB. By the numbers, Colt is a more efficient passer and has more upside as a QB. That said, I still think Snead is the QB for Texas next year. So in both cases, we are not putting a front line QB out there.

RB - Advantage OU. AD is obviously the best back. But, UT has more depth here so the advantage is really based on 1 player.

WR - Advantage Texas. Kelley and Sweed are a wash and both are great playmakers. Texas has more depth of talent outside of their top receivers.

TE - Advantage OU. Better players. J-Mike is pretty good though, just a bit raw on his blocking skills.

OL - Big Advantage UT. More experienced unit. At least 3 and possibly 4 linemen are better than each of OU's 5 starters. Texas also has alot more depth.

Defense

DE - Slight Advantage Texas. More consistent in performances - in getting a rush and stopping the run. Texas has a 3 man unit of Crowder, Orakpo and Robison that are all fast. Advantage is more based on depth and experience.

DT - Advantage Texas. Texas is better and deeper at the DT spot. Frank Okam's decision of Texas over OU really shifted the balance of power here after Tommie left. OU is very raw at the position and there's alot of questionmarks here given how easy it has been to run up the gut on you guys.

LB - Advantage OU. Rufus. Enough said about it. UT has a good unit, but no real dominant player. LBs for Texas are much better stuffing the run than protecting in coverage. Too early to call Sergio the next DJ - although he shows signs.

Safeties - Advantage Texas. Slight advantage because Michael Griffin is just very very good.

Corners - Advantage OU. Lots of talent between Smith and Walker.

Texas_Rose
10/4/2006, 01:40 PM
So break it down on talent. I disagree. I think we have more talent. I really do. As far as playmakers go. Blalock, Studdard and Sendlein are the only three horn starters on offense that I would trade for. I prefer our running back, QB, receivers, tight ends and the other two O-lineman are basic equals at this point.

On defense, give me Okam and Ross and I'll take the rest of our defense over the horns. Oh, sure...some might argue with more DB's and other lineman, but I like our ends, Bennett, our LB's, Smith, Harris and Williams in the defensive backfield. Hell, if Marcus Walker is healthy and plays like he did at Oregon there is no reason not to keep him as well. I like our kicking game people as well.

It should be a tight game, but the talent level is fairly equal, with the edge in gamebreakers to OU, in my opinion. Big playmakers win games at this level. Just ask the horns since VY is no longer there. Give me PT, AD, Kelley, Iglesias and Finley on offense...Ah You, Birdine, Rufus, Smith and Harris on defense. The stars will shine brightly this Saturday and I say that favors OU, not texas.

Let's talk about talent, and game experience....and I will try to be objective.

QB...Colt is young, but has played in a big game. PT is a veteran player, but is young at his position. He hasn't played QB in a big game yet. I will still give a slight edge to OU.
RB...AD is the man! Our RB's are really good. I would only give OU a slight edge because of the Offensive Line of UT. A really good offensive line makes lesser running backs that much better. They will help close the talent gap.
WR...I have to give the edge to UT. Your guys a really good, but our guys have the talent, and experience, to give UT the edge.
OL...Do I need to explain? UT advantage.
DL...Do I give the edge at DE to Burdine and Ah You over Robison and Crowder? That's a tough one. All 4 guys are extremely good. All 4 could start for almost any team in the nation. I will have to call this one even for now, unless I can be convinced otherwise. I do have to give the edge at DT to UT over OU. I just think we are bigger, stronger, and have more experience.
LB...OU definitely gets the edge. We do have 2 returning starters from a NC team, and while very fast, but we are undersized. Latimer and Alexander are just really good football players.
CB...How can anyone say that OU has the edge here? We are returning 2 starters from last year's team. Brown and Ross are really good. Your guys are really good, and very physical, but the edge has to go to UT.
Safety...Michael Griffin is one of the best, if not the best, SS in the country. He is constantly compared to Michael Huff. His twin brother is as good a FS as we could hope for, but is still learning the position. I think this is a push.
Kicking game...I definitely give the edge to OU...forever, and always. UT coaches do not give scholarships to kickers. I do not know why. OU always whips UT in the kicking game.

This is how I see it. Like I said earlier, I really am trying to be objective. This game will boil down to special teams, coaching, and turnovers. When you get two teams that are closely matched talent-wise, this is usually the trend. I am interested to hear your replies.

Good Luck Saturday...

Hook'em!

caphorns
10/4/2006, 01:42 PM
I don't think Paul will have any problems finding time. Your LB's will be too busy watching AD to be able to blitz. If they bring the blitz too often, AD's going to toast them up the middle. My major concern is AD getting hit in the backfield too often. Lesser defensive lines have been busting through and hitting AD early and often. Even MTSU had a few stops for loss in the first half. Doesn't bode well for the Sooners if this happens on Saturday.

1. You probably won't see much blitzing out of Texas.

2. PT is good at buying time OUTSIDE the pocket. UT's strategy is to force everything to the middle. We'll see how comfortable and accurate he is in making the quick reads and throws that will likely be available due to LBs filling contain assignments.

3. AD is more likely to get yardage outside. Bobino and the DTs are formidable in the middle. OSU averaged about 2 yards a carry and they had a very good inside running game.

caphorns
10/4/2006, 01:48 PM
Good Luck Saturday...

Take that garbage back to hornfans.com :)

Not a bad analysis but safety is not a push. We win that one.

JohnnyMack
10/4/2006, 01:52 PM
1. You probably won't see much blitzing out of Texas.

2. PT is good at buying time OUTSIDE the pocket. UT's strategy is to force everything to the middle. We'll see how comfortable and accurate he is in making the quick reads and throws that will likely be available due to LBs filling contain assignments.

3. AD is more likely to get yardage outside. Bobino and the DTs are formidable in the middle. OSU averaged about 2 yards a carry and they had a very good inside running game.

1. Yup.

2. You guys spent way too much time rolled over on Ginn in the tOSU game and I hope you do the same thing with Kelly. Strong, Iglesias and our TE's will have a field day with your overrated (I said it, I believe it) secondary.

3. I'll take my chances with AD vs. a DE. You're right about Saxet's interior run D being stout, but Wilson will pound away at it anyway in an effort to draw the LB's and safeties up so he can go over their heads with our TE's.

Texas_Rose
10/4/2006, 01:58 PM
1. Yup.

2. You guys spent way too much time rolled over on Ginn in the tOSU game and I hope you do the same thing with Kelly. Strong, Iglesias and our TE's will have a field day with your overrated (I said it, I believe it) secondary.

3. I'll take my chances with AD vs. a DE. You're right about Saxet's interior run D being stout, but Wilson will pound away at it anyway in an effort to draw the LB's and safeties up so he can go over their heads with our TE's.

Do you really think the TE will get behind the UT DB's? I can see a WR maybe, but not a TE.

Hook'em!

JohnnyMack
10/4/2006, 02:02 PM
Do you really think the TE will get behind the UT DB's? I can see a WR maybe, but not a TE.

Hook'em!

Maybe. But you're gonna be so scared of making a mistake (like you were with Ginn) that you'll lay everybody off and allow our TE's to pick up those 12 - 18 yard gains underneath that will keep us rolling.

proudsoonergal
10/4/2006, 02:43 PM
QB...Colt is young, but has played in a big game. PT is a veteran player, but is young at his position. He hasn't played QB in a big game yet. I will still give a slight edge to OU.

Yes, tOSU/Texas was a big national game with lots of attention, but I would argue that OU v. Oregon was also a big game, especially since PT had to play on the road. You know what? In his big game, on the road and in a hostile environment, he directed the offense to put up 33 points. How did Colt do in his big game at home? 7 points (and I could understand if you even argued that he should have 14 points).

This is Colt's first tough game away from the friendly confines of DKR. I think that will be a huge factor. Do not underestimate the power of the Cotton Bowl.... :D

Texas_Rose
10/4/2006, 03:00 PM
Yes, tOSU/Texas was a big national game with lots of attention, but I would argue that OU v. Oregon was also a big game, especially since PT had to play on the road. You know what? In his big game, on the road and in a hostile environment, he directed the offense to put up 33 points. How did Colt do in his big game at home? 7 points (and I could understand if you even argued that he should have 14 points).

This is Colt's first tough game away from the friendly confines of DKR. I think that will be a huge factor. Do not underestimate the power of the Cotton Bowl.... :D

If you consider OU vs UO as big of a game as #2UT vs #1tOSU, then your big game-ometer needs calibrated. I have made no excuses or arguments that Colt is better that PT. He is young, but he is better today than he was before that tOSU game. I believe he will struggle at some points Saturday. But the difference will be how he takes care of the ball when he struggles. If he doesn't turn it over, then we will be fine. If he turns it over, OU rolls. PT must grow up as a QB also if OU expects to win. But I still give the slight edge to OU in the QB department, as I said earlier.

Hook'em!

Herr Scholz
10/4/2006, 03:11 PM
Maybe. But you're gonna be so scared of making a mistake (like you were with Ginn) that you'll lay everybody off and allow our TE's to pick up those 12 - 18 yard gains underneath that will keep us rolling.
You won't see the same secondary tOSU saw. Our best cover corner Tarell Brown was, as anyone who reads the paper knows, out for that game. We also lost our starting FS Marcus Griffin to an ankle sprain in the 1st quarter of that game. Losing 2 starters in the secondary doesn't help against the pass. They'll both be playing Saturday along with the returning starters from the national champions Michael Griffin and Aaron Ross.

We won't be giving Joe Jon Finley a super big cushion, I can promise you that.

Funky G
10/4/2006, 03:47 PM
65-13?
63-14?

Herr Scholz
10/4/2006, 03:50 PM
45-12 actually involved players in this game.

JohnnyMack
10/4/2006, 03:55 PM
You won't see the same secondary tOSU saw. Our best cover corner Tarell Brown was, as anyone who reads the paper knows, out for that game. We also lost our starting FS Marcus Griffin to an ankle sprain in the 1st quarter of that game. Losing 2 starters in the secondary doesn't help against the pass. They'll both be playing Saturday along with the returning starters from the national champions Michael Griffin and Aaron Ross.

We won't be giving Joe Jon Finley a super big cushion, I can promise you that.

tOSU showed the blueprint for how to beat Chizik's D. It's like fighting Mike Tyson. You have to jab, jab, jab, jab, jab and keep the away from you. Then once you get them frustrated and slightly off-balance and try and knock them out. tOSU was very patient offensively with Saxet and picked the right times to go for the knockout. Saxet's D is dangerous, but it can be beaten.

Joe Jon Finley may not get a super big cushion, I'll give you that, but he'll be one of the many jabs that knock Saxet out.

Herr Scholz
10/4/2006, 03:57 PM
I know Troy Smith, sir, and Paul Thompson is no Troy Smith.

JohnnyMack
10/4/2006, 04:03 PM
I know Troy Smith, sir, and Paul Thompson is no Troy Smith.

:D. But Troy Smith didn't have to do anything fancy to win that game. Just manage it. We don't have to be great, we just can't have a negative TO margin and we MUST convert red zone chances.

The Maestro
10/4/2006, 04:03 PM
I love the "Colt has played in a big game" argument.

Well, actually, it's the only legitimate team he has faced so far.

7 points. After like 12 straight games of 40 or more.

Points.

Total.

That's it.

Herr Scholz
10/4/2006, 04:11 PM
7 points is a little misleading in that game, don'tcha think? Billy Pittman fumbled on their 1 yard line (not Colt's fault) and Greg Johnson missed a field goal (also not Colt's fault). 17 points right there.

JohnnyMack
10/4/2006, 04:16 PM
7 points is a little misleading in that game, don'tcha think? Billy Pittman fumbled on their 1 yard line (not Colt's fault) and Greg Johnson missed a field goal (also not Colt's fault). 17 points right there.

D00d, that's dangerously close to :mack:I'll answer that for Colt/:mack: territory.

caphorns
10/4/2006, 04:20 PM
1. Yup.

I just don't see you guys beating us over top because I doubt Chizik will be drawn in by the made up plot you are describing. Frankly, for you guys sake, I hope Wilson is not goofy enough to think it's a good idea to try to run up the middle early and often on Texas. That's begging for a 3 and out.

I don't think our secondary is overrated. It's rarely talked about and pretty much everyone has noted the passing yards against us. I think we're getting better. It's certainly good to have Terrell Brown back. The bottom line is that you don't know how good they are until they face up to real competition. As good as ISU's passing game was against us, they got all of 14 points out of it. But we were torched pretty good without Terrell. I am told our safeties have worked through some issues that should make us better. We'll see.

caphorns
10/4/2006, 04:22 PM

It would have been close to the highest output anyone has had on OSU this year. But these guys are still excited abou the number 7. As in 7 points, as in their 7 ill-begot chameenships. But to us it just represents one thing . . . BOMARIZATION!

StoopTroup
10/4/2006, 04:25 PM
Were gonna go Ninja on you guys...

Tell Mack to prepare....

sooneron
10/4/2006, 04:26 PM
It would have been close to the highest output anyone has had on OSU this year. But these guys are still excited abou the number 7. As in 7 points, as in their 7 ill-begot chameenships. But to us it just represents one thing . . . BOMARIZATION!
Dood, let it go. We have. Why do I see you posting so much about a player that will not be playing this Sat.? Lemme guess, you're hanging out at some cafe' in Montrose waxing nostalgic about your boy crush on rhett? You are seriously fixated.

Have you raised your little flag yet?

http://www.outsports.com/cfb/2005/wwwut9.jpg

JohnnyMack
10/4/2006, 04:27 PM
I just don't see you guys beating us over top because I doubt Chizik will be drawn in by the made up plot you are describing. Frankly, for you guys sake, I hope Wilson is not goofy enough to think it's a good idea to try to run up the middle early and often on Texas. That's begging for a 3 and out.

I don't think our secondary is overrated. It's rarely talked about and pretty much everyone has noted the passing yards against us. I think we're getting better. It's certainly good to have Terrell Brown back. The bottom line is that you don't know how good they are until they face up to real competition. As good as ISU's passing game was against us, they got all of 14 points out of it. But we were torched pretty good without Terrell. I am told our safeties have worked through some issues that should make us better. We'll see.

I don't mean "over the top" deep, I mean over the LB's and under the Safeties in that little soft spot in the zone. It'll be open. It was open against tOSU and it was open against ISU. tOSU had enough weapons to finish drives, ISU did not. However both were able to exploit said hole, no reason we won't do the same thing. Again it goes back to our ability to convert red zone chances (which we haven't been great at this year to be honest with you) and not turning the ball over.

I don't think your secondary is all that this year, but I may be wrong.

The Maestro
10/4/2006, 04:38 PM

Man, we could all talk about close calls all day long, right? I can muster up another 17 points or so in Oregon, not to mention taking 7 more away from them, but it won't change the outcome.

In the end, it's a playmaker issue. But I thought Pittman was apart of that receiving corps that is better than ours? Pittman not only failed to make a play vs. tOSU, he made a bad one. Your kicker missed a field goal. No, it's not a colt issue, but it does speak to your playmakers. And that led to the final score of...7. Against your only worthy opponent so far this season.

proudsoonergal
10/4/2006, 04:58 PM
If you consider OU vs UO as big of a game as #2UT vs #1tOSU, then your big game-ometer needs calibrated. I have made no excuses or arguments that Colt is better that PT. He is young, but he is better today than he was before that tOSU game. I believe he will struggle at some points Saturday. But the difference will be how he takes care of the ball when he struggles. If he doesn't turn it over, then we will be fine. If he turns it over, OU rolls. PT must grow up as a QB also if OU expects to win. But I still give the slight edge to OU in the QB department, as I said earlier.

Hook'em!

No, I don't consider them the same. On a national scale, tOSU/TX was much bigger and more hyped. My only point is that while that is true, it does not take away from the fact that OU at Oregon was also a big game.

While I agree that Colt will struggle, I think the difference will not necessarily be how HE manages the game, but how much Davis crawls into his East-West playbook hole if/when Colt strugges.

caphorns
10/4/2006, 05:06 PM
Dood, let it go. We have. Why do I see you posting so much about a player that will not be playing this Sat.? Lemme guess, you're hanging out at some cafe' in Montrose waxing nostalgic about your boy crush on rhett? You are seriously fixated.

Have you raised your little flag yet?

http://www.outsports.com/cfb/2005/wwwut9.jpg

RIIGHT. That's why there's a thread on hear about Rhett's letter to SHSU. You've let it go. :rolleyes: You guys still talk about Cedric Benson and Chris Simms. Now, that's some seriously long-term obsession. I think you like Chrissy's eyes. You probably cried inside when he got hit but didn't want any of your sooner friends to know. So you started talking smack on Internet boards to hornfans. . . just to hide your mancrush turned real crush. Now you have a hard time taking your eyes off of Matt McCaughnehy (sp?) long enough to have any idea what the Longhorn team does offensively or defensively.

Bomar was Bomarized because of your offensive line. It had nothing to do with BRSI. And your OL has not improved. They just haven't faced a real DL to date. Yet, they still have been blown up quite a bit by the likes of UAB.

caphorns
10/4/2006, 05:16 PM
I don't mean "over the top" deep, I mean over the LB's and under the Safeties in that little soft spot in the zone. It'll be open. It was open against tOSU and it was open against ISU. tOSU had enough weapons to finish drives, ISU did not. However both were able to exploit said hole, no reason we won't do the same thing. Again it goes back to our ability to convert red zone chances (which we haven't been great at this year to be honest with you) and not turning the ball over.

I don't think your secondary is all that this year, but I may be wrong.

We totally did not cover #11 and got beat with good coverage on Ginn. We overplayed Ginn (did badly with our backup corners) and just were not prepared for OSU to got to a mostly throwing strategy. If we knew they were going to throw a large percentage of the game, I'm sure we would have dropped a LB for support. But even without this, we shouldn't have had the number of blown coverages we did and the safeties should have picked up #11. Troy Smith was also very effective throwing from the pocket in this style of offense. Maybe PT is, maybe he isn't. From what I can tell, he's not comfortable in the pocket and so I'm just not seeing this game being controlled by pocket passing.

Your suggestion might work on a play or two but it means you are going to waste possessions trying to run at the heart of the defense. That's my only real point on that. You'd do better and get probably much the same effect (LBs focused on stopping the run) by running outside the tackles. Good discussion though.

Scotty
10/4/2006, 06:12 PM
my prediction:

Texas D, meet Mr. Gresham.

SoonerJLB
10/4/2006, 07:07 PM
I don't see a run away game by either team. It will be a hard fought defensive struggle. The team with the smartest play, fewest turnovers, and bestestes coaching will win.:texan:

csconst
10/4/2006, 07:19 PM
sooners 27 texass 17

JohnnyMack
10/4/2006, 07:22 PM
We totally did not cover #11 and got beat with good coverage on Ginn. We overplayed Ginn (did badly with our backup corners) and just were not prepared for OSU to got to a mostly throwing strategy. If we knew they were going to throw a large percentage of the game, I'm sure we would have dropped a LB for support. But even without this, we shouldn't have had the number of blown coverages we did and the safeties should have picked up #11. Troy Smith was also very effective throwing from the pocket in this style of offense. Maybe PT is, maybe he isn't. From what I can tell, he's not comfortable in the pocket and so I'm just not seeing this game being controlled by pocket passing.

Your suggestion might work on a play or two but it means you are going to waste possessions trying to run at the heart of the defense. That's my only real point on that. You'd do better and get probably much the same effect (LBs focused on stopping the run) by running outside the tackles. Good discussion though.

At least ONE whorn can admit that Chizik screwed up against tOSU.

I will be REALLY curious to see how PT does against Saxet's DEs. They do like to move the pocket for him and I can see him rolling right into some bad hits if he's not careful. But maybe our O line will surprise.

As far as a good discussion goes,

:les:EAT MY POO YOU DIRTY STINKIN' WHORN!!!!!!!!!!!

;)