PDA

View Full Version : Why I can't stand libs....

okienole3
10/3/2006, 04:55 PM
All of this talk about the hypocrisy of the Republicans. Please, I guess the conservatives set their own trap by taking moral high ground and aligning themselves with the Christian Right. So, it is easy for Dems to point that out and when you don't take that high ground you can get away with more awful behavior.

Did Democrats Page Mark Foley?

Ibd Mon Oct 2, 7:00 PM ET

Scandal: Right after Mark Foley was revealed to have had inappropriate e-mail conversations with a 16-year-old page, he resigned and checked into rehab. Now, what did Democrats know, and when did they know it?
ADVERTISEMENT

Yes, you read that right: the Democrats. It's of course clear that Foley, a Republican representative from Florida, resigned for good cause. We don't defend him or his inexcusable behavior -- good riddance.

But it didn't take long at all after Foley's resignation for the Democrats to call for an investigation of the entire Republican leadership in the House, charging that GOP stalwarts knew early on that Foley, as they like to say in the rehab business, had a "problem."

Democrats have begun losing their once-significant lead in the polls, and a mere five weeks remain until the midterm elections. Is this scandal the Democrats' own "October Surprise," meant to throw the GOP into a tailspin shortly before the vote?

Recent polls show Democrats aren't doing very well on several key issues. What better way than a good, old-fashioned sex scandal to get people's minds off such things as the importance of winning the war in
Iraq, our ongoing vulnerability to terrorist attack and the necessity of keeping the Bush economic boom going?

As it is, Republicans deny knowing about the explicit text messages that Foley sent to a 16-year-old congressional page back in 2003. In repudiating Foley, House Speaker
Dennis Hastert called the messages "vile and repulsive."

Despite this, the immediate take by Democrats and much of the mainstream media was that this was a classic example of Republican hypocrisy -- talking "morals" and "values" while all the time shielding a child predator. But it was nothing of the kind.

If anything, the episode reveals the Democrats' hypocrisy about their own behavior. The fact that Foley resigned virtually within minutes of being told that ABC News had copies of his salacious e-mails and text messages indicates he at least felt shame for his actions. Can the same be said for Democrats?

Sadly, it doesn't seem so. How else can you explain the following?

In 1983, then-Democratic Rep. Gerry Studds of Massachusetts was caught in a similar situation. In his case, Studds had sex with a male teenage page -- something Foley hasn't been charged with.

Did Studds express contrition? Resign? Quite the contrary. He rejected Congress' censure of him and continued to represent his district until his retirement in 1996.

In 1989, Rep. Barney Frank (news, bio, voting record), also of Massachusetts, admitted he'd lived with Steve Gobie, a male prostitute who ran a gay sex-for-hire ring out of Frank's apartment. Frank, it was later discovered, used his position to fix 33 parking tickets for Gobie.

What happened to Frank? The House voted 408-18 to reprimand him -- a slap on the wrist. Today he's an honored Democratic member of Congress, much in demand as a speaker and "conscience of the party."

In 2001,
President Clinton, who had his own intern problem, commuted the prison sentence of Illinois Rep. Mel Reynolds, who had sex with a 16-year-old campaign volunteer and pressured her to lie about it. (Reynolds also was convicted of campaign spending violations.)

You get the idea. Democrats not only seem OK with the kind of behavior for which Foley is charged, but also they protect and excuse it. Only when it's a Republican do they proclaim themselves shocked -- shocked! -- when it comes to light.

We have a lot more questions about this whole affair. The timing of the revelations, as we noted, couldn't be more propitious for the Democrats. Turns out both the Democrats and several newspapers seem to have known about Foley's problem as far back as November, according to research by several enterprising blogs.

Why didn't they come forward then? Who dredged up these e-mails -- and why did they hold them until now? This reeks of political trickery.

We're glad Foley's gone. He betrayed Congress, his party and the trust of the 33 pages who serve in Congress, and their parents. He behaved immorally, and we won't be surprised at new revelations.

That said, if this scandal is the Democrats' answer to their problems at the polls, it's pretty pathetic. It shows a base contempt for the voters.

yermom
10/3/2006, 05:12 PM
well, you have them there

the problem is that it's too deep for anyone to care, this damage is done. whether or not it actually matters is another issue

if gas drops anymore, the Pubz will be fine

crawfish
10/3/2006, 05:20 PM
Hypocrisy? In Washington? Say it isn't so, Joe!

TUSooner
10/3/2006, 05:26 PM
Hypocrisy? In Washington? Say it isn't so, Joe!
werd :rolleyes:

GrapevineSooner
10/3/2006, 05:34 PM
If hyprocrisy was H20, Washington would be Atlantis.

Vaevictis
10/3/2006, 05:41 PM
The Speaker's office was informed that this was going on 11 months ago. The only reason Foley resigned or anything serious was done is because the media got hold and is reporting it.

Hypocracy is just the natural state of being up in Washington, regardless of party affiliation.

rebmus
10/3/2006, 05:49 PM
If hyprocrisy was H20, Washington would be Atlantis.
so so true.

props GS.

Vaevictis
10/3/2006, 06:16 PM
Hah.

Apparently NRCC chair Tom Reynolds rented out a daycare center to hold a press conference in... so that the reporters wouldn't be able to ask any questions about Foley.

leavingthezoo
10/3/2006, 06:24 PM
i guess you calling libs hypocrits for calling pubs hypocrits who have been praising their own high morality while deeming the libs lowlife hypocrits somehow rises above hypocricy. of course, me implying you're being a hypocrit for calling them out for being hypocrits for calling the pubs out for being hypocrits is yet another example of hypocrisy. this game is too easy.

of course, if you overlook hypocrisy altogether, and just call washington low life pond scum without a twitch of morality on either side of the glorious party line that'll cover it all and put your finger directly on the pulse of the problem.

glad i can help. :D

Ike
10/3/2006, 06:33 PM
i guess you calling libs hypocrits for calling pubs hypocrits who have been praising their own high morality while deeming the libs lowlife hypocrits somehow rises above hypocricy. of course, me implying you're being a hypocrit for calling them out for being hypocrits for calling the pubs out for being hypocrits is yet another example of hypocrisy. this game is too easy.

of course, if you overlook hypocrisy altogether, and just call washington low life pond scum without a twitch of morality on either side of the glorious party line that'll cover it all and put your finger directly on the pulse of the problem.

glad i can help. :D

shhhhhhhhh. you can't say that our leaders have no morals. Then people wont want to follow them. Why do you hate America?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/3/2006, 06:35 PM
I don't eat meat that is still on the bone.

Oops, wrong thread.

BeetDigger
10/3/2006, 06:40 PM
In DC, the press has to get ahold of damning evidence or you have to be drunk and smash your car at 3am to be forced to admit you have a problem.

SicEmBaylor
10/3/2006, 06:43 PM
I'm a conservative who complains about the hypocrisy of some conservatives and the Republican Party. What does that make me?

Mjcpr
10/3/2006, 06:44 PM
I'm a conservative who complains about the hypocrisy of some conservatives and the Republican Party. What does that make me?

That and a Zima will get you a Page job in DC.

SicEmBaylor
10/3/2006, 07:00 PM
That and a Zima will get you a Page job in DC.

If only I were 17 and horny enough...

Kidding kidding.

usmc-sooner
10/3/2006, 07:08 PM
I'm a conservative Republican and I'm disgraced by this idiot. ****can his faggot pedophilic sorry ***. I'm a Pub but I'll call BS on BS. I wish Dem's would start calling BS on some of their "party" leaders. I wish both sides would.

49r
10/4/2006, 12:11 PM
well, you have them there

the problem is that it's too deep for anyone to care, this damage is done. whether or not it actually matters is another issue

if gas drops anymore, the Pubz will be fine

Gas will be under $1 a gallon by Halloween! w00t! Fire up your hummers, boys! :texan:

yermom
10/4/2006, 12:30 PM
I'm a conservative Republican and I'm disgraced by this idiot. ****can his faggot pedophilic sorry ***. I'm a Pub but I'll call BS on BS. I wish Dem's would start calling BS on some of their "party" leaders. I wish both sides would.

there are probably too many skeletons in too many closets ;)

sooner n houston
10/4/2006, 01:31 PM
The Speaker's office was informed that this was going on 11 months ago. The only reason Foley resigned or anything serious was done is because the media got hold and is reporting it.

Hypocracy is just the natural state of being up in Washington, regardless of party affiliation.

Do a little research, see the difference in the emails last year and the ones comming out now? Good job!

critical_phil
10/4/2006, 01:45 PM
there are probably too many skeletons in too many closets ;)

true.

and in some closets, the corpses haven't even had a chance to rot yet.

Vaevictis
10/4/2006, 03:46 PM
Do a little research, see the difference in the emails last year and the ones comming out now? Good job!

What, how the emails last year were "tame" by comparison?

Welcome to National Politics, where if you get complaints and you bet that one of your underlings isn't stalking kiddies for sexual purposes, you had better be fracking right.

Oh wait, that's not just national politics. That really should be everywhere, right?

sooner n houston
10/4/2006, 04:34 PM
Those original emails, while creepy, were far from incriminating.
ABC News
http://blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter/2006/09/sixteenyearold_.html
quotes two of them:

*** QUOTE ***

In one, Foley writes, "did you have fun at your conference. . .what do
you want for your birthday coming up. . .what stuff do you like to do."

In another Foley writes, "how are you weathering the hurricane. . .are
you safe. . .send me an email pic of you as well. . ."

*** END QUOTE ***

Ike
10/4/2006, 04:38 PM
I thought that too....and notice at the time that these emails were obtained, Foley kept saying that there was nothing going on that was improper....

until the next day when ABC got hold of the IM transcripts.

Those original emails, while creepy, were far from incriminating.
ABC News
http://blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter/2006/09/sixteenyearold_.html
quotes two of them:

*** QUOTE ***

In one, Foley writes, "did you have fun at your conference. . .what do
you want for your birthday coming up. . .what stuff do you like to do."

In another Foley writes, "how are you weathering the hurricane. . .are
you safe. . .send me an email pic of you as well. . ."

*** END QUOTE ***