PDA

View Full Version : OU - texass News - DMN

mrowl
10/3/2006, 06:21 AM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/colleges/redrivershootout/oklahoma/stories/100306dnspoouvenables.2cc24ee.html

OU's venables a venerable force

Defensive coordinator gets respect for his toughness

12:17 AM CDT on Tuesday, October 3, 2006

By BRIAN DAVIS / The Dallas Morning News

NORMAN, Okla. – Most Oklahoma fans see Brent Venables as the wide-eyed firecracker who romps up and down the sideline as the team's defensive coordinator.

Venables oversaw a unit that finished 13th nationally last season in total defense. Few know how he coached the Sooners during one of the most painful years of his life.

Venables' step-father and mother, Jim and Nancy Schumaker, were diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer and died within three months of each other last year in Norman.

Jim Schumaker, 70, suffered a stroke and died July 21. Nancy Schumaker, 58, died Oct. 26, three days before the OU-Nebraska game.
Colleges

"Going through that experience and seeing her battle and be tough and not really want anything, it gave me great clarity on my life," Venables said. "It refocused my priorities in regards to my faith, my family and then my job. And I recognized what is valuable to me."

Venables has never spoken publicly about the events of last year. In fact, outside observers probably didn't know what was happening. Venables was on the sideline in Lincoln, Neb., a game the Sooners won, 31-24, and he was there the rest of the season.

Venables performed so well last year that he was mentioned as a possible candidate to succeed his mentor, Bill Snyder, at Kansas State.

"That kept him busy, and in a way I think kept him protected, too," Venables' wife, Julie, said. "He was able to focus on her in that situation, but after the season, he let it soak in."

Nancy raised three boys by herself in Salina, Kan., but later married Jim, who became a father figure to Brent Venables. Jim was retired, and Nancy was a psychiatric nurse.

Jim was first diagnosed with lung cancer in October 2003. Doctors performed surgery and thought they had removed the cancer. But one year later, they found another spot on Jim's brain. In December 2004, Brent Venables helped him move into a hospice center in Norman.

Nancy Schumaker stayed in Kansas, but was later diagnosed with liver cancer in April 2005. It started in her lungs and eventually spread to her bones and brain.

Venables recruits heavily in North Texas. But coach Bob Stoops allowed Venables to skip spring recruiting and spend several months with his mother in Kansas. Stoops praised Venables for his handling of the situation after the Nebraska game.

Venables and his wife, who is a nurse, became the primary care-givers of Nancy in their Norman home. Every night, Venables would come home from work at 9:30 or 10 p.m., lie by his mom's side and talk about the day. Venables also helped care for his two young sons, Jake (6) and Tyler (4).

As Julie Venables said, "Superman did it all."
[Brent Venables]
Brent Venables

Kirk Venables, Brent's brother, said: "Having Brent and Julie there as the rock...it really brought relief for all of our family members."

Brent Venables said his parents' illnesses were the biggest challenge he has faced.

"This profession can be all about you, and your family takes a back seat, and that may have been the case for me," he said. "But until you get the call from your mother and she's a young healthy 57-year-old woman telling you, 'I got six months to live.' That's a life-changing experience; at least it was for me."

Venables' mother died around 4 a.m., and the coach was at a staff meeting four hours later, his wife said.

"He knew his family would be there, and he had to focus on the next thing and keep going," Julie Venables said. "He learned that from her."

Venables' family held a reunion last summer in Winter Park, Colo. They rented boats and spread Jim and Nancy's ashes on Grand Lake.

Back in Norman, Venables understands that he still has a job to do. OU's defense slipped to 97th in the nation after three games this season, and the critics grew louder. The refrain is always the same – OU's defense isn't the same without Mike Stoops.

"Obviously, he's been a big-time mentor for in me this profession, not to mention a great friend," Venables said. "So I recognize the standards that people have come to expect and want."

Fans just have to understand that with Venables, other things come first.

E-mail [email protected]

Stoops: Don't give Mike all the credit

NORMAN, Okla. – Coach Bob Stoops said it's unfair to credit his brother, Mike, for all the defensive success Oklahoma had from 1999 to 2003.

Even though Brent Venables was a co-defensive coordinator all those years, he rarely gets credit for helping OU win the 2000 national title and two Big 12 titles (2000 and 2002).

Stoops points out OU won the Big 12 title and played for the national championship in 2004, one year after Mike Stoops left for Arizona, and Venables was the top defensive coordinator.

"We're worried about winning and losing. Mike didn't get as much [credit], either," Stoops said. "You guys [the media] didn't give it to him until he left. I got it when he was here. No one wants to write that, either."

BRENT VENABLES

Hometown: Salina, Kan.

College: Honorable mention all-Big Eight in 1992 as a linebacker at Kansas State.

Career: Started as a graduate assistant at Kansas State in 1993 and linebackers coach from 1996 to 1998. Came to OU as linebackers coach and co-defensive coordinator in 1999. Named associate head coach in 2004.

mrowl
10/3/2006, 06:23 AM
Things are looking up at the Cotton Bowl

Gigantic new video board emerging at Cotton Bowl

01:59 AM CDT on Monday, October 2, 2006

Godzillatron will soon have a new rival.

Texas and Oklahoma fans be warned. After walking past the Chevy truck display, the World's Largest Traveling Candy Store and Granny's Funnel Cakes, you can't miss the newest attraction at the State Fair.

A massive video board, measuring 83 feet wide and 57 feet tall, is being erected over the Cotton Bowl's south end zone. The video board and a new state-of-the-art sound system are part of the $20 million earmarked for stadium upgrades. Texas and Oklahoma agreed to a contract in May that keeps the series at the Cotton Bowl through 2010.
Colleges

The Cotton Bowl will receive another $30 million if voters approve a $1.35 billon bond package in November.

Less than half of the new board has been installed. Stadium officials turned it on for the first time Friday, one day before the Grambling-Prairie View game, and it will be operational for this weekend's Texas-OU game.

Big Texatron is scheduled to be fully operational for the AT&T Cotton Bowl on Jan. 1.

"It will be interesting to see the reaction, because Texas has one that's bigger," said Tom Beene, the special events coordinator for the Cotton Bowl. "It'll be a surprise to some, I'm sure."

UT cranked up its behemoth in August. The video board at Royal-Memorial Stadium measures 134 feet long and 55 feet tall and has earned the nickname "Godzillatron." It's currently the largest high-definition video board in the world, according to UT officials.

Some OU fans may not like the view from Big Texatron, though. The aging scoreboard above the seats in the south end zone is still in place and won't be removed until next year, Beene said.

Anyone sitting in Section 32 or 33 above the tunnel entrance probably won't be able to see the new board. Fans in Sections 31 and 34 will have a slightly obstructed view depending on seat location. All of the seats in those sections are usually sold to OU fans.

UT fans sitting in the north end zone will have no problems, though.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/v3/10-02-2006.NS_02JUMBO.G3920380G.1.jpg

mrowl
10/3/2006, 06:24 AM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/colleges/redrivershootout/texas/stories/100306dnspoutoubriefs.29c7b7d.html

Bright lights shine on Mack, Young

Texas coach, former QB get some prime-time exposure this week

10:46 PM CDT on Monday, October 2, 2006

By CHIP BROWN and BRIAN DAVIS / The Dallas Morning News

AUSTIN – Texas coach Mack Brown and former Longhorns quarterback Vince Young will make their prime-time television debuts this week.

Young is in a reality show on BET called Next Level: Vince Young (8:30 p.m. Wednesday). Brown can be seen in the premiere episode of Friday Night Lights at 7 p.m. today on NBC. The show is being filmed in and around Austin.

The show is set in Dillon, Texas, and Brown plays a parent of a high school player who confronts the coach of his son's team.

At one point, Brown's character asks the coach, "You understand how hard this job is? Have you watched film? You look like a deer in the headlights."

Brown said the series creator and director of the show, Peter Berg, told Brown he was awfully hard on the fictional coach of the Dillon Panthers.

"I thought the part would show the pressure on high school coaches," said Brown, whose daughter, Katherine, works in the movie business in Hollywood. "We get paid a lot of money to handle the pressure. But high school coaches don't, and they often carry the weight of their community."

Added Brown, "Don't get up to go to the bathroom. My part is that small."

Robison ready for action: Texas defensive end Brian Robison said the move that left him with a bruised right kneecap against Iowa State "was a leg whip."

But Robison stopped short of accusing Iowa State offensive lineman Aaron Brant of doing it intentionally.

"Of course I was mad," said Robison, who was held out of Saturday's game against Sam Houston State. "But I don't think he tried to injure me. He was just trying to stop me any way he could."

Robison said Saturday he was about 75 percent and that the extent of his playing time against Oklahoma could be a game-time decision.

Peterson tired of talking about OU choice: As a high school recruit, Adrian Peterson said he chose Oklahoma over Texas because he thought the Sooners had a better chance to win a national championship.

Peterson hasn't won a national title the last two-plus years, while the Longhorns won it all in 2005. But he wasn't about to second-guess himself.

"I made the decision on what's best for me," Peterson said. "There's nothing to more to be said now that I'm going into my junior year."

OU line ready for challenge: Texas' defense has registered 18 sacks through five games, and 12.5 of those have come from the defensive ends. That doesn't seem to impress OU guard Duke Robinson.

"They're physical, but I don't think they're quick," Robinson said of UT's defensive line. "We're strong, physical and quick, and we play all four quarters. So we're going to see what they've got for all four quarters."

OU's offensive line was considered a question mark before the season. But the starting five has played almost the entirety of all four games. The offense is averaging 416.5 yards per game.

mrowl
10/3/2006, 06:27 AM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/colleges/redrivershootout/stories/100306dnspoutlede.2cc490f.html

Texas defense faces tough task

Opposition's run game has been stuffed, but Peterson is unique test

06:05 AM CDT on Tuesday, October 3, 2006

By CHIP BROWN / The Dallas Morning News

AUSTIN – When the Texas Longhorns last saw a healthy Adrian Peterson, they were staring at his back.

"He ran all over us," said senior defensive end Brian Robison of Peterson's 225 yards on 32 carries in a 12-0 Oklahoma win in 2004. Peterson showed up to a news conference in Norman on Monday with his head shaved because he had done the same thing before the Texas game two years ago. "This is a flashback to my freshman year," Peterson said.

A bad ankle limited Peterson to only three carries for 10 yards in Texas' 42-15 victory last year.

Players and coaches said Saturday's game will determine just how good Texas' run defense is. The Longhorns are ranked No. 2 nationally, giving up 36.6 yards per game on the ground. Peterson is No. 3 in the nation, averaging 160.6 rushing yards per game.

As linebacker Drew Kelson said, "Something's got to give."

Texas co-defensive coordinator Gene Chizik called Peterson, "The best I've ever seen."

Defensive tackle Frank Okam said he looks forward to the challenge.

"It's always good to go against great competition," Okam said. "It adds to the prestige of the game."

Several defensive players got one-on-one time with coaches after Texas gave up 14 plays of 10 yards or more to Iowa State. That included eight plays that coaches called "explosive" – runs of 12 yards and passes of 16 yards.

"We felt like there were some guys who needed to play at a different level," Chizik said.

Safety Michael Griffin, the quarterback of a secondary that has given up big plays to Ohio State and Iowa State, said he was one of the players talked to.

"Coach [Duane] Akina told me he needs more from me," Griffin said. "He needs me to hustle. There are some plays I was taking off. I'm not afraid to say it; I was lollygagging here and there.

"Last game [against Sam Houston State], I tried to give 110 percent on every play, regardless of whether it was an incomplete pass. It hit a nerve. It let me know I have to go out there and play hard every play."

Chizik said he thinks the message got through.

"We want to make sure our guys are playing to the standard for physicalness and technique that we've come to expect, and they responded very well to those things Saturday," Chizik said.

Oklahoma receiver Malcolm Kelly, who has four touchdowns and is averaging 22.3 yards per catch, and Juaquin Iglesias will try to do what Ohio State's Anthony Gonzalez (eight catches for 142 yards and a touchdown) and Ted Ginn Jr. (five catches for 97 yards and a touchdown) did to Texas.

"If they establish the run with Adrian [Peterson] and get play-action going, it makes our job a lot harder," Griffin said. "We have to get to Adrian before he gets going."

No one's done that yet this year.

fadada1
10/3/2006, 06:36 AM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/v3/10-02-2006.NS_02JUMBO.G3920380G.1.jpg
why didn't they get something obnoxious and rediculous looking?????

mrowl
10/3/2006, 09:30 AM
why didn't they get something obnoxious and rediculous looking?????

its soooooooooo dallas to NOT have this jumbotron done in time for the game.

They have had 8-10 months to get this done???

Partial Qualifier
10/3/2006, 09:53 AM
its soooooooooo dallas to NOT have this jumbotron done in time for the game.

They have had 8-10 months to get this done???

Seriously. Give me a freaking break

:mad:

IronSooner
10/3/2006, 10:26 AM
"Coach [Duane] Akina told me he needs more from me," Griffin said. "He needs me to hustle. There are some plays I was taking off. I'm not afraid to say it; I was lollygagging here and there.

"Last game [against Sam Houston State], I tried to give 110 percent on every play, regardless of whether it was an incomplete pass. It hit a nerve. It let me know I have to go out there and play hard every play."

Novel idea there horn. You been working out too?

goingoneight
10/3/2006, 02:00 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/colleges/redrivershootout/oklahoma/stories/100306dnspoouvenables.2cc24ee.html

OU's venables a venerable force

Defensive coordinator gets respect for his toughness

12:17 AM CDT on Tuesday, October 3, 2006

NORMAN, Okla. – Most Oklahoma fans see Brent Venables as the wide-eyed firecracker who romps up and down the sideline as the team's defensive coordinator.

Venables oversaw a unit that finished 13th nationally last season in total defense. Few know how he coached the Sooners during one of the most painful years of his life.

Venables' step-father and mother, Jim and Nancy Schumaker, were diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer and died within three months of each other last year in Norman.

Jim Schumaker, 70, suffered a stroke and died July 21. Nancy Schumaker, 58, died Oct. 26, three days before the OU-Nebraska game.
Colleges

"Going through that experience and seeing her battle and be tough and not really want anything, it gave me great clarity on my life," Venables said. "It refocused my priorities in regards to my faith, my family and then my job. And I recognized what is valuable to me."

Venables has never spoken publicly about the events of last year. In fact, outside observers probably didn't know what was happening. Venables was on the sideline in Lincoln, Neb., a game the Sooners won, 31-24, and he was there the rest of the season.

Venables performed so well last year that he was mentioned as a possible candidate to succeed his mentor, Bill Snyder, at Kansas State.

"That kept him busy, and in a way I think kept him protected, too," Venables' wife, Julie, said. "He was able to focus on her in that situation, but after the season, he let it soak in."

Nancy raised three boys by herself in Salina, Kan., but later married Jim, who became a father figure to Brent Venables. Jim was retired, and Nancy was a psychiatric nurse.

Jim was first diagnosed with lung cancer in October 2003. Doctors performed surgery and thought they had removed the cancer. But one year later, they found another spot on Jim's brain. In December 2004, Brent Venables helped him move into a hospice center in Norman.

Nancy Schumaker stayed in Kansas, but was later diagnosed with liver cancer in April 2005. It started in her lungs and eventually spread to her bones and brain.

Venables recruits heavily in North Texas. But coach Bob Stoops allowed Venables to skip spring recruiting and spend several months with his mother in Kansas. Stoops praised Venables for his handling of the situation after the Nebraska game.

Venables and his wife, who is a nurse, became the primary care-givers of Nancy in their Norman home. Every night, Venables would come home from work at 9:30 or 10 p.m., lie by his mom's side and talk about the day. Venables also helped care for his two young sons, Jake (6) and Tyler (4).

As Julie Venables said, "Superman did it all."
[Brent Venables]
Brent Venables

Kirk Venables, Brent's brother, said: "Having Brent and Julie there as the rock...it really brought relief for all of our family members."

Brent Venables said his parents' illnesses were the biggest challenge he has faced.

"This profession can be all about you, and your family takes a back seat, and that may have been the case for me," he said. "But until you get the call from your mother and she's a young healthy 57-year-old woman telling you, 'I got six months to live.' That's a life-changing experience; at least it was for me."

Venables' mother died around 4 a.m., and the coach was at a staff meeting four hours later, his wife said.

"He knew his family would be there, and he had to focus on the next thing and keep going," Julie Venables said. "He learned that from her."

Venables' family held a reunion last summer in Winter Park, Colo. They rented boats and spread Jim and Nancy's ashes on Grand Lake.

Back in Norman, Venables understands that he still has a job to do. OU's defense slipped to 97th in the nation after three games this season, and the critics grew louder. The refrain is always the same – OU's defense isn't the same without Mike Stoops.

"Obviously, he's been a big-time mentor for in me this profession, not to mention a great friend," Venables said. "So I recognize the standards that people have come to expect and want."

Fans just have to understand that with Venables, other things come first.

E-mail [email protected]

Stoops: Don't give Mike all the credit

NORMAN, Okla. – Coach Bob Stoops said it's unfair to credit his brother, Mike, for all the defensive success Oklahoma had from 1999 to 2003.

Even though Brent Venables was a co-defensive coordinator all those years, he rarely gets credit for helping OU win the 2000 national title and two Big 12 titles (2000 and 2002).

Stoops points out OU won the Big 12 title and played for the national championship in 2004, one year after Mike Stoops left for Arizona, and Venables was the top defensive coordinator.

"We're worried about winning and losing. Mike didn't get as much [credit], either," Stoops said. "You guys [the media] didn't give it to him until he left. I got it when he was here. No one wants to write that, either."

BRENT VENABLES

Hometown: Salina, Kan.

College: Honorable mention all-Big Eight in 1992 as a linebacker at Kansas State.

Career: Started as a graduate assistant at Kansas State in 1993 and linebackers coach from 1996 to 1998. Came to OU as linebackers coach and co-defensive coordinator in 1999. Named associate head coach in 2004.

Let me just say that I've been critical of BV, but I respect him for having dealt with this like he did. I lost not just my grandmother in 2005, but also my great-aunt, a second cousin, an uncle, and a (friend to a car accident). I can understand if that messed things up even more than they already were in 2005. On and off-the-field criticism are totally different... and I'm sure with Bob as his boss, he knows he can do better with his unit.