PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Idiots on the Heisman

emoinwinter
10/2/2006, 08:04 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/heisman06/index

I'm not really sure what these people are on. Why is Troy Smith the favorite? What has he done to prove he is the greatest? Look at his stats!

He hasn't passed for over 300 yards this year. His last 3 games he passed for a total of 203, 115, and 186. You are telling me those are Heisman passing numbers? That is a joke!

Can someone please clear this up for me? I'm really confused...

Scotty
10/2/2006, 08:06 PM
Recently they have done nothing but hype the best player on the best team for the heisman, which is not always the way it should be.

1991SOONER
10/2/2006, 08:08 PM
What $%&! me off is Adrian was only 7 points behind the leader last week and now he's alot further behind simply because OU had a bye week. Hardly fair.

tOSU is going to have to lose to Michigan and OU beat Texas and win out before Adrian can get it IMO.

CatfishSooner
10/2/2006, 08:13 PM
that's a bunch of horse ****! ESPN doesn't know ****

Sooner_Bob
10/2/2006, 08:15 PM
It's all about the ratings . . .

BOOMERBRADLEY
10/2/2006, 08:24 PM
This is no longer an individual trophy. It has sadly became a team trophy

sanantoniosooner
10/2/2006, 08:27 PM
This is no longer an individual trophy. It has sadly became a team trophy
What was it when OU had 2 of the top 5?

OUefeezletheweazel
10/2/2006, 08:32 PM
why do you all let this bother you?
Its our first week of conference play....

There was damn sure nobody hyping Jason White until he lit up Texass in our
FIRST conference game that year.
Let Adrian gain his ground during conference play... its when voters make up there minds anyways

T_Boner
10/2/2006, 08:35 PM

They actually were two of the best players in the game at that time. It will be interesting to compare Troy Smith’s stats w/ Jason White’s and Matt Leinart’s…I’m betting Troy wouldn’t even be close. Anyway, ESPN’s Kirk Herbstreit is clearly a OSU homer.

sanantoniosooner
10/2/2006, 08:39 PM
They actually were two of the best players in the game at that time. It will be interesting to compare Troy Smith’s stats w/ Jason White’s and Matt Leinart’s…I’m betting Troy wouldn’t even be close. Anyway, ESPN’s Kirk Herbstreit is clearly a OSU homer.
Stats are only one component of whether a player is worthy.

It's just funny that our players EARNED the right to be a candidate and other players are just the result of hype. Like OU wasn't hyped during those season.

DrZaius
10/2/2006, 08:41 PM
Just goes to show you that Tuberville said it right when he stated that ESPN has way to much power over the sport.

What really sucks is that I agree with a super tool like tuberville.

Harry Beanbag
10/2/2006, 08:43 PM

Depends on what your criteria is I guess. White and Peterson both had giant gaudy numbers to go along with their candidacy. To this point, Smith only has the best team aspect.

PhxSooner
10/2/2006, 08:44 PM
I've gotten to the point where I watch only the games; halftime and post-game shows, Sportscenter, all gone. They may not have been unbiased before, but overt shilling for one team/player has gotten out of control.

T_Boner
10/2/2006, 08:46 PM
Stats are only one component of whether a player is worthy.

It's just funny that our players EARNED the right to be a candidate and other players are just the result of hype. Like OU wasn't hyped during those season.

Not sure what you're getting at...I sure don't think Leinart, Bush, and Young, were just the result of hype. Right now, Troy Smith & Teddy Ginn are 100% hype...it's a long year, I'd not too worried about it right now, time will tell.

sanantoniosooner
10/2/2006, 08:46 PM
Depends on what your criteria is I guess. White and Peterson both had giant gaudy numbers to go along with their candidacy. To this point, Smith only has the best team aspect.
My criteria isn't just about the numbers, or QBs from Tech should win it every year

At this point of the season I don't have a problem with Troy Smith being the leading candidate. He has done what was needed to win. He has made some big plays at key moments and shown great leadership for his team. As the season wears on things will shake up.

Harry Beanbag
10/2/2006, 08:48 PM
My criteria isn't just about the numbers, or QBs from Tech should win it every year

At this point of the season I don't have a problem with Troy Smith being the leading candidate. He has done what was needed to win. He has made some big plays at key moments and shown great leadership for his team.

I don't have a problem with him either, I was just trying to answer your question. :)

T_Boner
10/2/2006, 08:48 PM
I've gotten to the point where I watch only the games; halftime and post-game shows, Sportscenter, all gone. They may not have been unbiased before, but overt shilling for one team/player has gotten out of control.

yep, those ESPN mofo's sure do love Notre Dame and OSU

westcoast_sooner
10/2/2006, 09:13 PM
I'm not worried about it at this point. AD had a great game against UO, and everyone saw it. He's been solid in every game, even though defenses are stacking the box against him.

If he lights up a tough opponent - like on Saturday in Dallas - he'll go back to the top.

sooner518
10/2/2006, 09:17 PM
they can vote Smith 1st. I can see why I guess. I want to know what moron voted AD 5th!!

IronSooner
10/2/2006, 09:31 PM
tOSU is going to have to lose to Michigan and OU beat Texas and win out before Adrian can get it IMO.

That's pretty much how I've seen it the last several weeks.

Iowa was grossly overrated, Michigan will be the last team worth anything that tOSU plays. So far they've beaten UT, we (officially) lost the UO game, so that automatically makes Smith better. We have to beat UT also and what might be a ranked MU team and win a Big 12 game to give AD bigger wins.

Jackal
10/2/2006, 11:01 PM
If AD has a big game and OU wins against the Whorns, it's as good as bought. But no doubt, ND and OSU get way too much love.

yermom
10/2/2006, 11:12 PM
that's still just the ESPN dorks voting and is a small sample size

if AD keeps tearing it up, i think he'll be ok

he probably needs some 60+ yard TD runs though

Pepper
10/2/2006, 11:13 PM
I didn't mind that AD was #2 again. I expected it after Troy Smith had a good game. Let's face it, if AD deserves the Heisman he will have to earn it. If he has good games the rest of the way he will win, don't worry.
What angered me was their put down of OU, saying our offense was struggling. I guess if you repeat a lie so many times, people start believing it. I hear this struggling offense bs every week though from ESPN and don't know if they've even watched an OU game.
As for Wolfe, if they gave the Heisman based on stats alone, BJ Symons from Texas Tech would have the trophy. He is the all time passing leader. Don't see why they would give it to Wolfe for being the 2006 version of BJ Symons.

yermom
10/2/2006, 11:16 PM
he had a lot of yards and TDs but he had a ton of INTs too, his passer rating wasn't as good

JW won it with 40TDs to 4 INTs, that's insane (this was the regular season totals that everyone voted with)

Desert Sapper
10/2/2006, 11:19 PM
OU beat Texas and win out before Adrian can get it IMO.

This was always the case. If we lose to saxet, AD won't win the Heisman. If we win and AD has a big game, He will jump to the top of a lot of lists. AD has center stage this weekend. It will be up to him to make his mark in this marquee game. The greatest players have their biggest games when it matters most. AD has a chance to prove to the world that he deserves the trophy this weekend. I'm hoping he does.

Desert Sapper
10/2/2006, 11:23 PM
Anyway, ESPN’s Kirk Herbstreit is clearly a OSU homer.

I throw up in my mouth a little every time he says Troy Smith. Which is about every 5-10 seconds when Herbie is on camera. :eek:

Texas Golfer
10/3/2006, 01:03 AM
What $%&! me off is Adrian was only 7 points behind the leader last week and now he's alot further behind simply because OU had a bye week. Hardly fair.

This is one of the many reasons the Oregon travesty bothered me so much. The Pac-10 officials not only ruined OU's chances for being a national champion contender, they all but eliminated Adrian's chances for the Heisman.

Texas Golfer
10/3/2006, 01:08 AM
This was always the case. If we lose to saxet, AD won't win the Heisman. If we win and AD has a big game, He will jump to the top of a lot of lists. AD has center stage this weekend. It will be up to him to make his mark in this marquee game. The greatest players have their biggest games when it matters most. AD has a chance to prove to the world that he deserves the trophy this weekend. I'm hoping he does.

It not just up to AD. The OL needs to have a superb game to assist him.

Desert Sapper
10/3/2006, 01:21 AM
It not just up to AD. The OL needs to have a superb game to assist him.

You mean he can't just superman will himself to glory?;)

daMentor
10/3/2006, 03:36 AM
Here's my thing about Troy Smith. They always hype him up to be this 2 dimensional QB. He can run and pass. Well, sure he CAN and he HAS in the PAST, but he has 20 freaking yards rushing this season. Granted that does include sacks, but if you watch the games he's clearly become more 1 dimensional.

That's not a bad thing, look at how well JW did being 1 dimensional. My point is since he is now more of a one dimensional QB, you have to look more at his passing stats.

These ESPN homers can build him up as much as they want, but if the buckwheats don't win out he won't have a prayer to win the heisman with those kind of stats. If they do win out, I still doubt he'll win it unless he does something miraculous between now and then. I mean just look at the past few QB's that have won it. Look at their stats. I just don't see the heisman voters voting him in with those kind of numbers. Unless like I said he does something miraculous like having a lot of game winning drives or something like that.

I still say AD does have some work to do and some ground to make up. Of course if we beat texass, he will have a much better chance of winning it.

Octavian
10/3/2006, 04:13 AM
Voters try and find some sort've balance...

It can't be soley based on stats or Timmy Chang would've won a couple.

It can't be simply the most talented player in the country, regardless of whether or not his team makes an impact on the story of the season...ala Garrett Wolfe or Steve McNair (Alcorn St.).

It sounds cliche but the Heisman, to a pretty considerable extent, is a team award.

Many didn't think Jason was the most talented player in the country in '03 but his stats were off-the-charts gawdy and OU was #1.

The last Heisman winner from a mediocre team was Ricky Williams. They weren't good in '98 but Williams basically won that as a career award (very rare) b/c he broke the all-time rushing record. To a lesser extent, the same thing happened a year later when Ron Dayne won it - though he probably wouldn't have if Peter Warrick wouldn't have been caught stealing shoes....

If Adrian stayed for his senior year (unlikely), he'd shatter Dayne's all-time rushing record and there wouldn't be much doubt about a fifth Heisman Trophy going to the Switzer Center...and Adrian would soon have a life-size statue outside of Memorial Stadium along w/ the other four.

As it is right now though....we have to beat Texas on Saturday or tOSU has to lose.

He can still win it we're 10-2, but not if Ohio St. is undefeated.

But if you're someone who thinks Ohio St. won't lose in the regular season (they get Michigan in Columbus) then the RRS is a make-or-break day for Adrian's Heisman chances...

Scott D
10/3/2006, 04:17 AM
I think people care way too much about this way too early in the season.

Octavian
10/3/2006, 04:23 AM
I think people care way too much about this way too early in the season.

Maybe...but it's the most prestigious and well-renowned individual award in American sports and it's very subjective.

It's fun to follow for most college football fans.

And it can do a lot for a program.

Octavian
10/3/2006, 04:26 AM
but I'm not sure why the Heisman became elevated to the level it is now while the Maxwell Award is a footnote...

Desert Sapper
10/3/2006, 04:37 AM
but I'm not sure why the Heisman became elevated to the level it is now while the Maxwell Award is a footnote...

Because the Maxwell Football Club is in King of Prussia, PA. Where the f*** is that?

The New York Downtown Athletic Club (which awards the Heisman Memorial Trophy - formerly the DAC Trophy) is in the King of all cities. The centrum of media influence. NYC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City).

This is Robert 'Tiny' Maxwell - Link (http://www.maxwellfootballclub.org/content/awards/maxwell/bio_maxwell.htm) http://www.maxwellfootballclub.org/images/scans/maxwell.jpg

This is John W. Heisman - Link (http://www.heisman.com/history/john-heisman.html) http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/media_content/m-3698.jpg

Any questions?

fadada1
10/3/2006, 06:58 AM
we shouldn't even hear the words "heisman trophy" until mid-late october. the fact that troy smith (and even AD) were hyped the way they were is crazy. nobody in the current heisman race had even made a play in july, and all people could talk about was the stinkin' trophy. let them get through half the season before you talk about it (espn).

that being said, however, it MUST be better than 40+ years ago. at least they don't give it to a running back from notre dame, whose team won 2 games, just because he went to notre dame, and those 2 games were the only games played on national tv for the writers to see. at least we now have the information to make sound, albeit baised, judgements on who gets the heisman.

fadada1
10/3/2006, 07:00 AM
Because the Maxwell Football Club is in King of Prussia, PA. Where the f*** is that?

about 20 minutes outside philly. i live about 20 minutes (the other way) from KOP. didn't know anything important was there - other than it's close to valley forge.

LiL10(s)ArEaJoKe
10/3/2006, 08:28 AM
If AD has a big game and OU wins against the Whorns, it's as good as bought. But no doubt, ND and OSU get way too much love.

Dont count your chickens till your eggs hatch. That Wolfe kid looks bad *** at the RB position. If NIU can win the MAC and make it to a bowl, they are predicting he could have over 3000 yds. If thats not Heisman what is??????

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/9698310

Rock Hard Corn Frog
10/3/2006, 08:30 AM
After this weekend AD will be neck and neck with Troy Smith, BUT if I had to vote right now on who deserves the Heisman it is hands down Garrett Wolfe, who will probably be lucky to be in the top 4. The dude has been nothing short of incredible. He had as many yards against Ohio St on the road as the whole Hook 'em team could do against Ohio St at home. The 353 yard game didn't hurt either.

fadada1
10/3/2006, 08:38 AM
After this weekend AD will be neck and neck with Troy Smith, BUT if I had to vote right now on who deserves the Heisman it is hands down Garrett Wolfe, who will probably be lucky to be in the top 4. The dude has been nothing short of incredible. He had as many yards against Ohio St on the road as the whole Hook 'em team could do against Ohio St at home. The 353 yard game didn't hurt either.
i could do that... against 8 year olds:D

soonerlaw
10/3/2006, 08:50 AM
Its all about hype. I mean Brady Quinn was a lock in for it until ND got demolished. I bet if they beat Usuck though, he will be back in it.

tOSU is the hot team right now after handling Saxet and Iowa on their home fields. So naturally their field general is going to get the most hype.

The refs in Oregon did screw AD. He had an amazing second half which was very Heisman like, but the screw-job focused all the attention on the officiating instead of the players.