PDA

View Full Version : So I just listened to an Amway type sales pitch

royalfan5
10/2/2006, 07:42 PM
for a company that does internet rewards and referals. I pretty much agreed to meet with the lady on the theory that 1)She might be hot and 2)I always wanted to listen to the pitch for one of these businesses. There is no way I am joining one of these schemes. Sure some folk will make money on them, but it's not something I am interested in doing. I just wanted to see how they pitched their thing as the next best thing to sliced bread. The way I see it if you are meeting someone in a crappy Wendy's in Lincoln, Nebraska to convince them to join your scheme, it probably isn't as great as you make it sound. Also, she wasn't hot.

Jimminy Crimson
10/2/2006, 08:03 PM
...so did you hit it?

royalfan5
10/2/2006, 08:04 PM
...so did you hit it?
that a negative.

mrssoonerhubler
10/2/2006, 08:34 PM
My uncle tried to get us to sign up for quikstar (fancy amway). He said he would make us both rich. we didn't join....and five years later he is still a truck driver

royalfan5
10/2/2006, 08:37 PM
My uncle tried to get us to sign up for quikstar (fancy amway). He said he would make us both rich. we didn't join....and five years later he is still a truck driver
that's the company she was represnting.

mrssoonerhubler
10/2/2006, 08:39 PM
that's the company she was represnting.

yeah. It's kind of like you get ten of your friends and screw them over. then tell them each to screw 10 of their friends over. and then we will all be rich somehow.

afs
10/2/2006, 08:42 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quixtar

RacerX
10/2/2006, 09:13 PM
yeah. It's kind of like you get ten of your friends and screw them over. then tell them each to screw 10 of their friends over. and then we will all be rich somehow.

and exhausted.

colleyvillesooner
10/2/2006, 09:15 PM
It's not a pryamid scheme!

StoopTroup
10/2/2006, 09:16 PM
Go with Melalueca...

At least you'll get a good product.

RacerX
10/2/2006, 09:18 PM
Stories like this always make me think of Confederated Products and Go.

nanimonai
10/3/2006, 01:39 AM
Go with Melalueca...

At least you'll get a good product.

I got suckered into that when I was 19 becuase the pitch lady was hot.

I did like that toothpaste though...good stuff.

SoonerJack
10/3/2006, 08:16 AM
Amway guy: "now Jack, what part do you not like, making more money or saving more money?"

Jack: "having another job!"

end of discussion

WILBURJIM
10/3/2006, 09:19 AM
I never bought into the Amway spiel. Heard it countless times, and was never interested. Many people I know still have "soap" in their garage. Funny thing here in Grand Rapids, it seems like everything is named after the co-founders Jay VanAndel and Rich DeVos. They have poured a ton of money into the arts, sports, hospitals, and cancer research but, there still is a certain distaste for the name Amway. I guess that's why they changed their name.

VeeJay
10/3/2006, 09:38 AM
I never bought into the Amway spiel. Heard it countless times, and was never interested.

Me too!

The last time I heard it, many years ago, dude looked like a deer in the headlights when I asked him if it was Amway. As if to say, "Damn! He's ON to me!"

I'd heard the pitch too many times. He was a friend, so I gave him a little time, all the while knowing I wasn't going anywhere with it. He kept repeating the phrase "total financial independence." That was his goal, and with an apartment full of that crap, I'd be well on my way to it, as well.

When I met Mrs. VJ, her townhouse kitchen had this contraption attached to the sink that took up nearly half of one side of the sink, with a big hose running to it. I asked, and was told it was a water filter, and she's forked over upwards of $350 for it to Amway. :confused:

:pop:

Beano's Fourth Chin
10/3/2006, 09:54 AM
We bought a water filter at costo and I like it a lot. I think it was something like 200 bucks.

We had friends growing up that had Amway everything. I remember that water filter they had. The bad thing about Amway (at least back then. I haven't looked at it in a long time) is that you pretty much HAD to have a big inventory of stuff in order to sell it to your friends. They might allow you to buy stuff online now. That would be better if they shipped it to the buyer for you.

I've heard the opening speech numerous times. Mostly by folks in cheesy suits at the Mall food court. I'm about the world's worst when it comes to personal appearance, so it definitely doesn't help your sales pitch if you look and dress worse than me. Show some pride amway people.