PDA

View Full Version : It's OU/ut galdammit!!!!

TJKDone
10/2/2006, 07:15 PM
Offense:

To me the only clear cut advantage that OU has on this side of the ball is at RB. AP hasn't looked as awesome as he did as a Frosh, but that is because he doesn't have nearly the surrounding cast at any position. J. Charles is one of the top 5 RB's in the country, but Peterson IMO is number 1.

QB is the next closest, but it is only that way because of experience on the CFB level. Thompson is a senior and has been around this game for several more seasons than Colt. That is to OU's advantage IMO, but that is the only one at this crucial position. I don't think PT is as good as Colt at any other aspect of the game including running the football. People will no doubt disagree with this, but I think Colt senses pressure and eludes the rush better than Thompson and this more than makes up for any discrepancy in straight speed. If Colt can keep from making several mistakes early due to adrenaline, I think his numbers will be superior to Thompson. It will be tough for Colt not to "force" it in there early, so lets hope he doesn't. I don't think this is an issue past the second drive.

OL/TE/WR we are better and considerably so in each area. Probably the most glaring area is OL, and that area alone points to a lot of Peterson's decreased effectiveness.

I consider us to have a definite advantage here, but the wild card of Colt making a lot of mistakes and Peterson having a huge day keep us from having a "decisive" advantage.

Defense:

On this side of the ball I don't get OU. Many fans and Bob Stoops said that their D this year could be the best overall unit they've had since Stoops has been there. Not only was this wrong, they have not even been good. Even in our weakest area, the secondary, we are better across the board than OU. A lot of folks have mentioned the fact that their new DC isn't as good as coaches in the past, that is crap. You'll never be able to tell me that a Bob Stoops coached team doesn't play fundamentally good defense. They just don't have the players, and that is at every position, that they have had in the past.

I think we have a Decisive advantage on D at every position and as an overall unit.

Special Teams:

Overall our special teams play has improved the most of any unit under Mack since he's gotten here. We are very dangerous both blocking and returning punts. OU has been dangerous in the past because of Stoop's knack to gamble at the right time. He'll try it this week, and if it works he gets a slight advantage. But it is a bigger gamble this year, it could really hurt the fragile psyche of his team if they fail.

I'll be nice and call it a draw in this area because I think a big play could swing it either way even though I think we are more likely to have that play with the punt block team and Ross returning it.

Coaching:

This used to be Stoops domain and I still believe he is a great game day coach, but several factors limit him this year IMO. His team is not good enough talent wise to be coached with the pronounced negative reinforcement and see them respond. When you take this away from them, I think a lot of his effectiveness is neutralized because he has to "bring them along" with encouragement (not his fortay IMO). I think that they will be up and intense early, a decisive advantage for OU in the Stoops era IMO. However, I don't think they'll be able get up on us considerably unless we have turnovers on the first couple of possessions.

This area is even given the circumstances.

Overall I think we win 34-17. It could be worse or closer by a touchdown if Colt has a great day or one more mistake than he should have.

Hook'em

JaminT
10/2/2006, 07:17 PM
We've beaten a better than expected UAB squad

UAB beat an East Carolina team who in turn beat Memphis, hung with W. Virginia ect. Spanked by Georgia (before georgia found out georgia sucked) and also hung with Miss St. Not world beaters, but have good ball this year, covering every spread aside from Georgia.

Washington has gone on to beat Fresno St, UCLA and Arizona. That's a respectable win.

Oregon....oregon....oregon, we all know what happened, but let's take nothing away from the guys in green, they play good football, they are pretty evenly matched with OU and I'm fine with that.

Our boys at Middle Tennessee just went down to N Texas and whipped the **** out of their squad. Again, not world beaters, but after watching OU's game with them, I was curious how they even found Oklahoma.

Tejas has beat

N Texas (mentioned earlier)

Rice (not a bad team, played Houston close who in turn took out Aggie Lite and gave miami all they wanted, but got beat by the UCLA squad who was beat by Washington)

Iowa St. 37-14 (Telling game, Texas is vulnerable and they know it)

And lost to an Ohio State team. The OSU is a good ball club, one I'm glad we didn't have to play yet this year.

All in all, when weighting opponents on my Kevin Bacon scale, I think we are in for a suprise in our favor.

I'm taking OU and the points.

JaminT
10/2/2006, 07:23 PM
Oh, by the way.

You've picked the Iowa Stat score

By your estimation, playing a Bob Stoops Coached team away from home is about the same as playing Iowa State at home?

That seems a little out of whack.

And before you compare defensive units and make sweeping claims, consider your competition.

Had we played three Middle Tennessee State's before you, then we too would have impressive numbers

Just sayin

TrophyCollector
10/2/2006, 07:29 PM
A whorn counting on Mack to coach them to a win, hahahaha.

And Colt looked so much great in his only legit game of the year, at home. PT was 13/23 174 1TD 0 INTs on the road at a top 10 team. Horseboy had to throw it 32 times (though mostly screen passes) to get 20 yards less and a pick.

I hope to hell texass coaches are dumb enough to stack 8 in the box cause PT will rip them up Jason White / Josh Heupel style.

OU has the CLEAR advantage at QB.

Remember all the national talk before the tOSU - texass game, "the young, untested Ohio St. defense devistated by the NFL draft.". Your QB led them to ONE freaking score that he wouldn't have had without a highly questionable call on 3rd down.

And how good is that Ohio St. defense? About #40 in the country. 16 big yards per game better than Oregon.

Rogue
10/2/2006, 07:33 PM
TJK,
If you weren't so high on crack and your breakdown was anywhere near reality, I'd say texas wins in a blowout. Alas, you're on your way to rehab again and are probably only on Chapter 2 of "Football For Dummies."

OU's receivers match up with anybody in the country save, maybe, Tennessee's duo of Swain and Meachem. Limas Sweed is good, but as a unit I'll take our guys any day.

J. Charles may be one of the top 5 RBs. In the Big XII South!

Texas may have the better O-line and interior D-line. You might be surprised at our overall team speed and our defensive ends. And I daresay that our secondary will be plenty sufficient for your freshman QB.

Coaching? Give me a break! Mack can't get out of his own way long enough to win a game by coaching. Hell, the biggest reason you won last year is because VY was as dumb as a box of hair and forgot everything Mack "taught" him. Your D-coordinator is very good.

So, can your advantage on the lines overcome your inexperience and the "Mack-factor"? Doubtful.

Sooners by 2 touchdowns.

TrophyCollector
10/2/2006, 08:05 PM
Offense:
OL/TE/WR we are better and considerably so in each area.

Hmm, Malcolm Kelly #10 in the NCAA in receiving yards per game. Limus Sweed #54.

So is it because OU has a QB who can actually get the ball down the field to a receiver or is Kelly just that much better?

Won't really make a **** on Saturday will it?

TJKDone
10/2/2006, 08:41 PM
I hope to hell texass coaches are dumb enough to stack 8 in the box cause PT will rip them up Jason White / Josh Heupel style.

OU has the CLEAR advantage at QB.

I believe you are wrong and completely so. But we will see on Saturday what we both have to look forward to this season.

Hook'em

birddog
10/2/2006, 08:51 PM
but I think Colt senses pressure and eludes the rush better than Thompson and this more than makes up for any discrepancy in straight speed.
i don't think you've seen enough to make that claim. pt hasn't been under a whole lot of pressure. and you're insane if you think colt's numbers will be far superior to pt's. i mean, i expect you to say that but i think their numbers will be fairly comparable.

C&CDean
10/2/2006, 09:00 PM
I believe you are wrong and completely so. But we will see on Saturday what we both have to look forward to this season.

Hook'em

It simply doesn't matter what you believe. And it's OU/UT chump.

1991SOONER
10/2/2006, 09:04 PM
I think UTs offense will choke. 14 pts max. McCoy has never been to RRS. The pressure will get to him.

OU has scored 33 easily on a top 10 team and could have scored more if we didn't get nitpicked all day by the pac10 cheaters.

OU by 14 points

colleyvillesooner
10/2/2006, 09:21 PM
It simply doesn't matter what you believe. And it's OU/UT chump.

You are a mod, edit that ****!!

stoops the eternal pimp
10/2/2006, 09:21 PM
Coaching:

This used to be Stoops domain and I still believe he is a great game day coach, but several factors limit him this year IMO. His team is not good enough talent wise to be coached with the pronounced negative reinforcement and see them respond. When you take this away from them, I think a lot of his effectiveness is neutralized because he has to "bring them along" with encouragement (not his fortay IMO). I think that they will be up and intense early, a decisive advantage for OU in the Stoops era IMO. However, I don't think they'll be able get up on us considerably unless we have turnovers on the first couple of possessions.

Wow...you are very unaware of coach stoops style...."negative reinforcement" has never been his style of coaching..you should have watched the "coach of the year" spotlight on him...or attend a practice or something because you are way off base.

Special teams...Reggie Smith...Juaquin Iglesias...Garrett Hartley...blocked punts.....Heck even the walk on punter is doing good.. so you dont really need to give us a draw to be nice....I ll take Reggie over Ross any day..

Defensively really cant argue much with that..

offensively...I dont know about being considerably better at the WR position...or the TE position either..

Overall your post was severely tainted while throwing a few compliments to make yourself feel like it was a good analysis.....

If your gonna break down the 3 phases of the game..use realilty

devOUt
10/2/2006, 09:29 PM
I just love these offense vs. offense and defense vs. defense comparisons. AD won't be tackling Charles and Colt won't be defending against Thompson's passes. In a nutshell, your "quick analysis" is a crock.

You give the texas offense way too much credit. You have a good offensive line and that's it. Oregon has better players at the skilled positions than texas. Your offensive production against that high school ooc schedule means nothing. If the horns are as good offensively as you seem to think, then Northern Illinois is a juggernaut. Against tOSU (your only good opponent thus far) NIU had 343 total yards 151 rushing/ 192 passing, to texas' 326 yards 172 rushing/ 154 passing. Iowa also had better numbers against tOSU as well (336 total 87rush/ 249 pass). Both NIU and Iowa scored more points against tOSU than texas did. There's also one more thing, texas SUCKS!

C&CDean
10/2/2006, 09:32 PM
You are a mod, edit that ****!!

True enough.

Crimson_Balls
10/2/2006, 09:40 PM
I love the whorns' over confidence.

Octavian
10/2/2006, 09:47 PM
Both NIU and Iowa scored more points against tOSU than texas did.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/1011/davisaction300cq2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/8407/mackbrowngh0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Desert Sapper
10/2/2006, 10:03 PM

I only hope their players are thinking like this. I know they aren't, because not even Mack could be as stupid as TJK Hooker.:rolleyes:

TrophyCollector
10/2/2006, 11:27 PM
Both NIU and Iowa scored more points against tOSU than texas did.

Iowa St. QB Bret Meyer racked up 274 yards passing and 2 TDs against the texass defense.

UNLV held him to 203 - no TDs. 1 Int.
Toledo held him to 234 - no TDs.
Iowa (fraud!) - 152 yards 1 TD.

Texas did a tad bit better than I-AA Northern Iowa who gave up 323, 2TD, 1 Int.

PT will have no problem if these guys put the safeties up and if they don't then AD will romp all over them again.

Our D just has to be solid and with the emotional factor plus the extra week they'll be a better than solid.

AzianSooner
10/2/2006, 11:32 PM
I will do my texasss fight routine every night from tonight till friday night.

It will bring me thrill.

yermom
10/2/2006, 11:38 PM
NIU isn't AA, they are in the MAC and their RB is currently leading the nation in rushing by a mile

still, i would think Texas should have been able to run on tOSU at home...

the_ouskull
10/3/2006, 12:12 AM

I didn't know that the Whorns were playing Confidence this week. What's the spread...?

the_ouskull

BASSooner
10/3/2006, 12:14 AM
Offense:

To me the only clear cut advantage that OU has on this side of the ball is at RB. AP hasn't looked as awesome as he did as a Frosh, but that is because he doesn't have nearly the surrounding cast at any position. J. Charles is one of the top 5 RB's in the country, but Peterson IMO is number 1.

QB is the next closest, but it is only that way because of experience on the CFB level. Thompson is a senior and has been around this game for several more seasons than Colt. That is to OU's advantage IMO, but that is the only one at this crucial position. I don't think PT is as good as Colt at any other aspect of the game including running the football. People will no doubt disagree with this, but I think Colt senses pressure and eludes the rush better than Thompson and this more than makes up for any discrepancy in straight speed. If Colt can keep from making several mistakes early due to adrenaline, I think his numbers will be superior to Thompson. It will be tough for Colt not to "force" it in there early, so lets hope he doesn't. I don't think this is an issue past the second drive.

OL/TE/WR we are better and considerably so in each area. Probably the most glaring area is OL, and that area alone points to a lot of Peterson's decreased effectiveness.

I consider us to have a definite advantage here, but the wild card of Colt making a lot of mistakes and Peterson having a huge day keep us from having a "decisive" advantage.

Defense:

On this side of the ball I don't get OU. Many fans and Bob Stoops said that their D this year could be the best overall unit they've had since Stoops has been there. Not only was this wrong, they have not even been good. Even in our weakest area, the secondary, we are better across the board than OU. A lot of folks have mentioned the fact that their new DC isn't as good as coaches in the past, that is crap. You'll never be able to tell me that a Bob Stoops coached team doesn't play fundamentally good defense. They just don't have the players, and that is at every position, that they have had in the past.
I think we have a Decisive advantage on D at every position and as an overall unit.

Special Teams:

Overall our special teams play has improved the most of any unit under Mack since he's gotten here. We are very dangerous both blocking and returning punts. OU has been dangerous in the past because of Stoop's knack to gamble at the right time. He'll try it this week, and if it works he gets a slight advantage. But it is a bigger gamble this year, it could really hurt the fragile psyche of his team if they fail.

I'll be nice and call it a draw in this area because I think a big play could swing it either way even though I think we are more likely to have that play with the punt block team and Ross returning it.

Coaching:

This area is even given the circumstances.

Overall I think we win 34-17. It could be worse or closer by a touchdown if Colt has a great day or one more mistake than he should have.

Hook'em
Everything that is in bold is a wrong statement. Underline mean that I don't have evidence to prove which either is better from personal preference.

To say that McCoy is far superior than PT in the game is flat out ludicrous.

Malcolm Kelly>Limas Sweed although as a whole OU=UT...maybe with a slight edge at UT...

I can understand some of the defensive areas. Let me explain them though in detail. OUr interior linemen are bad. However, OUr DE unit is better than UT's as a whole. You guys have quality while we have quantity. I would say that OUr secondary is about the same, now you can b*tch at me if you want. We all know that DJ had a horrible performance along with, keenan and Lendy at times, but it shocks me that you don't notice reggie smith, nic harris, and marcus walker. LB units are always better than UT's as long as BV is here. There is no question about that.

Special teams...do I need to explain? Reggie Smith...nuff said...and he is only a sophmore...

Coaching, this of course goes to Stoops.

Offensive coaching-OU
Defensive coaching-deadlock tie

Crimson_Balls
10/3/2006, 12:19 AM
I didn't know that the Whorns were playing Confidence this week. What's the spread...?

the_ouskull

-6.5 points. I take confidence and the points

King Crimson
10/3/2006, 12:31 AM
"fortay". that's a good one.

Oklahoma has played better games against UO and Washington than Texas has against it's *one* quality opponent.

also love the comment about Mack improving the special teams.....maybe UT fan can tell us all about the 99 game against NC State. or Nathan Vasher's bonehead faircatch in 01. Mack has improved his staff, no doubt. best money can buy.....but it doesn't occlude the fact that he hired knuckleheads in the first place.

OldGuyinStudentSection
10/3/2006, 01:26 AM
****!!!! I just spent an hour replying to this and the damn system logged me out when I submitted my post. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

picasso
10/3/2006, 09:51 AM
I'm still baffled why anyone would have to justify who has the better RB. Charles is very good and he's going to get yards on us come Saturday but he's no AD.:rolleyes:

I think Texas runs all over us. I think our key is to hit the big play when given the opportunity.
Paul Thompson > Colt McColt. PT could have helped you guys against tosu. oh it's true.

MiccoMacey
10/3/2006, 10:01 AM
We have the overall better RB, but they have the better depth.

We have the better QB, and he's faced this environment before (albeit we were way ahead when he entered as QB...but he's been on the sideline for two others and played in the game as WR last year). McCoy is going to feel heat like he's never felt from a hostile crowd. It's just the way it is.

The WR's are probably even, or maybe the slightest edge to Texas. Either or, both teams have great WR's, and depth.

They have the better OLine. Period.

They have the better DLine. Period.

We are at least equal to, and maybe a slight nod at LB.

They have a slight edge at DB.

Should be fun.

The Maestro
10/3/2006, 10:19 AM
I just can't see why so many OU fans are so high on texas.

Question for any horn fan...who is the best team you have beaten this year?

We've beaten a top ten team on the road. No, it doesn't count as a win, but I think we can all agree with what should have been the outcome. We won with a big second half against a team that is now 3-1 in a major conference. Throw out UAB and MTSU.

Texas is unproven and untested other than getting stuffed at home by 17 and only putting up one touchdown over 60 minutes. Nothing else matters. Just go read Kirk Bohls column today in the Statesman saying the very same thing. Colt McCoy is 0-1 as a starter against any real competition. We'll see what he does this week.

MiccoMacey
10/3/2006, 10:22 AM
We can't stop the run...the can run well.

They have a lot of talent like we do. They've played consistently well against everyone, including the number one team in the nation, and we haven't.

If our defense plays up to the potential everyone thinks they have, we win. But until we bring a defense to any game other than the junior high scrimmage from a week ago, I don't know how anyone can say they're not favored.

The Maestro
10/3/2006, 10:28 AM
I see one issue like this...the horns O-line HAS to dominate the line of scrimmage for them to even have a chance to win. To me, even if they do, we still have a shot due to a young QB, applying some pressure and hoping he makes mistakes. But, if the horns don't own the line of scrimmage when they have the ball, they have no chance of winning, barring major turnover issues on our part.

Yes, the horns O-line might be the best we have faced this year...Oregon had all five starters back from a pretty good group last year. I'm expecting our defense to play its best game of the year Saturday and I think Nic Harris is going to be getting to know the young colt quite well.

TexasLidig8r
10/3/2006, 10:34 AM
I just can't see why so many OU fans are so high on texas.

Question for any horn fan...who is the best team you have beaten this year?

We've beaten a top ten team on the road. No, it doesn't count as a win, but I think we can all agree with what should have been the outcome. We won with a big second half against a team that is now 3-1 in a major conference. Throw out UAB and MTSU.

Texas is unproven and untested other than getting stuffed at home by 17 and only putting up one touchdown over 60 minutes. Nothing else matters. Just go read Kirk Bohls column today in the Statesman saying the very same thing. Colt McCoy is 0-1 as a starter against any real competition. We'll see what he does this week.

Maestro.. every time your fan base says something like, "we beat a top ten team on the road" you lose credibility. Oregon will end up at best 3rd in the Pac 10. Your defense gave up 500 YARDS to Oregon. UAB? An increasingly average Georgia team strangled them, shut them out.. a VERY close non-call on a fumbled punt kept that game from going to OT.... uDub? They beat UCLA.. that's about it.. They lose to USC, Cal, AzState and maybe even Wazzu.

Your defense has been incredibly underwhelming.. in fact, perhaps the least imposing defense in all of Stoops' years.

As for Ohio State.. first and read this, we would have lost to them anyway.. but.. the fumble at the 2 yard line that OSU returned to the 50 and Colt's interception to start the 2nd half resulting in an OSU score were back brakers. We had over 300 yards against OSU.

so, why so high on Texas? Matchups. Our defensive line is a strength and is up against the weakest link in your offense.. your O line. We have the number 2 ranked rushing defense in the nation. Our DBs are healthy and in place for perhaps the first time this year and whereas Malcolm Kelly looks to be a certified stud... there are questions regarding your other receivers. Your TE, Finley, looks to be the real deal, but Texas has speed at the LB position.

Texas offense vs. OU defense.... statistically, OU's defense is underperforming.. especially on the rushing defense. Texas' offensive line and running game are strengths. And yes, if you watched the Texas - Ohio St game, Texas ran the ball well against OSU.

Colt is the question mark. Can he stretch the field? The match ups of strength vs. weakness seem to favor Texas.

MiccoMacey
10/3/2006, 10:47 AM
We have the number 2 ranked rushing defense in the nation...

What's your passing defense ranked? 'Cause last week it was in the 80's.

There is no doubt we will move the ball on you guys.

There is no doubt you guys will run on us.

I say the biggest question mark is Greg Davis and his "spinning wheel" technique for play-calling. If you pass more than 15 times in this game, you lose.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/3/2006, 10:50 AM
Do you guys that berate the O line ever stop to realize that they are facing 8 man fronts game after game, they can only block so many people...They have protected Thompson well so far and have done a pretty fair job run blocking even with teams sending 8/9 players to stop it..thats why kelly/iglesias are getting so open...

The Maestro
10/3/2006, 10:51 AM
Just watch that total rushing yards for the horns. If they don't average about 50 a quarter, no chance.

And being 2nd in the nation in rushing defense when you played the likes of Rice, UNT, Iowa State and BRSI State means jack and squat.

Oregon finished 2nd in the Pac 10 last year and they are better this year. If they win at Cal Saturday...tough chore, but could be done...they have a shot at USC.

The horns offense did nothing against Ohio State. Move the ball? So what? Two plays of over 20 yards. It was Greg Davis without a freak of nature at QB to improvise at its best.

goingoneight
10/3/2006, 01:21 PM
I just love these offense vs. offense and defense vs. defense comparisons. AD won't be tackling Charles and Colt won't be defending against Thompson's passes. In a nutshell, your "quick analysis" is a crock.

Man-OH-MAN would I hate to be Jamaal Charles. Somehow, I don't think McCoy could steal a pass away from Kelly...

If we're gonna get tricky at all on offense this season, I expect it to happen in the third quarter. If not, KW is just a less conservative Chuck Long. A guy who actually rolls his QB out every now and then...

goingoneight
10/3/2006, 01:23 PM

the_ouskull

He read it wrong, it's confidence over Tejas by 14.