PDA

View Full Version : Not that I'm pinning them against eachother...

goingoneight
10/2/2006, 04:29 PM
But who do you think has fielded the best teams so far at OU??? While I look at great players like the Boz, Troy, Hollieway, etc... I also see the much more impressive numbers in the Stoops era. I'm one to think OUr offense is definitely better under Stoops, but It's a real tossup on defense for me. 2001 OU defense vs 1985 OU defense... I don't think even Chuck Norris could figure that one out... What do you all think? Obviously, I'm a huge fan of both of them...

The Maestro
10/2/2006, 04:33 PM
I'm guessing you might be in your 20's cause you just totally skipped over the 70's under Switzer when he probably had his best talent in Norman. Sure, he inherited some of that talent, but it is scary how close Switzer came to winning about six national titles in his first seven years.

Scholarship restrictions now make this impossible to compare, but I am sure the backups in Norman in the 70's were probably the 3rd best team in the Big 8 many years.

King Crimson
10/2/2006, 04:53 PM
it's wrongheaded to say that Stoops O is neccessarily better than Barry's. Barry ran a scheme that defined an era--and arguably did it better than Nebraska or Alabama or Texas. and until he retired had the highest active win % in the NCAA. the bone beat people up and wore them done.

the 01 D was great, but they lost to OSU.....85/86 lost to Miami. go back and watch that 85 Orange Bowl...."flying around" is a phrase people like to use....but that's what we were doing against PSU.

all you can do is compare intra-era. and the 74-75 D's were sick on D. according to soonerstats.com they were averaging 5 forced TO's pre game. 5!

soonernation
10/2/2006, 08:54 PM
The 54,55 and 56 defenses were fairly good also. They averaged giving up around 6 points a game.