PDA

View Full Version : Remember The 1999 TAMU Game?

FaninAma
10/2/2006, 02:20 PM
I really think that was the game that I knew the Sooners were back. I ordered my season tickets for the next year after that game. I know we lost to Mississippi in Shreveport but the TAMU game, IMO, was the statement game for the Stoops tenure.

I get the feeling that this weeks OU/UTerus game is his restatement game for the doubters.

goingoneight
10/2/2006, 02:43 PM
As much as I like OUr chances, I'm still a little nauseated at a relapse of bad defense. Remember how we pwned Colorado in the 2004 BIG 12 Title Game and then blacked out in OUr next game? I think at times, BV's defense is brilliant, but never reliable in the biggest moments, at least thus far. And thus far, UT is OUr biggest moment in 2006. Especially since we're 4-0, and all... :D Hopefully it's AD's Heisman statement as well...

FaninAma
10/2/2006, 03:10 PM
I really think that Bob has gotten more involved in the personel decisions as the season has gone on whereas in 2004 I still think he was allowing the coordinators have unlimited latitude. I think this is a very good development.

Sooner fans keep stating that OU needs to replace Venables as defensive coordinator. Heck, we have one of the best defensive minds in college football by the name of Bob Stoops. He just needs to continue to be hands on in coaching the defense.

Widescreen
10/2/2006, 03:22 PM
Sooner fans keep stating that OU needs to replace Venables as defensive coordinator. Heck, we have one of the best defensive minds in college football by the name of Bob Stoops. He just needs to continue to be hands on in coaching the defense.
I wish he didn't have to be hands on (and I'm sure he wishes it too). Being the head coach is probably a hard enough job without having to get into all the minitiae of personnel and playcalling day-to-day.

Oh, and the '99 aTm game is one of my favorites of the Stoops era. That was absolutely brilliant playcalling by Leach. I believe that was where the ninjee was unveiled. Completely blew their minds and we ran 3 or 4 shuffle passes in a row off it. They couldn't stop it and had to call a timeout. All of our fake kicks worked like a charm. Pretty much everything went our way that night.

TopDawg
10/2/2006, 05:28 PM
I think we unveiled the Ninja earlier that year, but that series where we ran it over and over again was awesome. It was total playground football. I can just see Heupel going back to the huddle, "Same thing."

fadada1
10/2/2006, 05:31 PM
I think we unveiled the Ninja earlier that year, but that series where we ran it over and over again was awesome. It was total playground football. I can just see Heupel going back to the huddle, "Same thing."
i think we ran the "utah/shuttle/shuffle/top-dawg-on-a-stick" pass about 6 times in a row to Q. we used the ninjee in that game, but not to the extent of the utah pass.

TrophyCollector
10/2/2006, 07:11 PM
We also ran a hook-and-lateral to Renaldo Works in the 1st quarter and Seth pick up about 50 on a fake punt. Mike Leech was calling plays like he was ****ing drunk and playing Playstation. It was beautiful.

GottaHavePride
10/2/2006, 07:17 PM
Drunken playstaton football is fun when it works. Otherwise you get into "I HATE WHEN IT CHEATS!" territory. ;)

CatfishSooner
10/2/2006, 08:35 PM
I hate when the game gods cheat!

TopDawg
10/2/2006, 08:39 PM
i think we ran the "utah/shuttle/shuffle/top-dawg-on-a-stick" pass about 6 times in a row to Q. we used the ninjee in that game, but not to the extent of the utah pass.

I think at the time it was still Michael Thornton before he got injured.

birddog
10/2/2006, 08:43 PM
I wish he didn't have to be hands on (and I'm sure he wishes it too). Being the head coach is probably a hard enough job without having to get into all the minitiae of personnel and playcalling day-to-day.
bv gets payed pretty well to run the defense. i don't know how hands-on stoops is because i'm not there. but i would hope that bv has enough experience to make the right calls. but as jkm said in another thread, we don't have the personnel to run the d we are. if that's the case, put 'em in the damn d that will allow us to shut teams down!!

RacerX
10/2/2006, 09:03 PM
TRRW blocking downfield for Seth on a fake punt. EVERYTHING worked in that game.

KABOOKIE
10/2/2006, 11:19 PM
Dude, that game was awesome. I remember the Friday night before the game and people were calling the Animal and giving Traber a hard time for picking A&M. Someone was calling up as the "monkey-boy" and saying **** like, "Hey, hey Traber. Hey....Hey...That Heisman trophy? Can I have it? Eeeeh!!! Eeeeh!" Traber was going nutz.

I think Seth could have easily scored on the fake. However, he picked the only A&M guy in the backfield (returner) and ran straight for him. Guess he had to tackle somebody!

King Crimson
10/2/2006, 11:30 PM
i watched that game in a bar in Denver. it was surreal. would have LOVED to beat Barney and the Buffs the next week, though.

birddog
10/3/2006, 12:00 AM
yeah, i was at that game and it sucked. buff fans aren't real bright.

King Crimson
10/3/2006, 12:12 AM
yeah, i was at that game and it sucked. buff fans aren't real bright.

i was at that game too.

King Crimson
10/3/2006, 12:16 AM
. buff fans aren't real bright.

they are Bronco/pro fans in disguise, most of them. on/off the bandwagon week to week. no sack.