PDA

View Full Version : what do we call it?

jk the sooner fan
10/2/2006, 01:35 PM
when we had the news of the post office shootings....the phrase "go postal" was born

now with all the school shootings....do we say "go educational?"

just doesnt sound catchy.....

Czar Soonerov
10/2/2006, 01:38 PM
Ohhhh, you got skooled!

jk the sooner fan
10/2/2006, 01:38 PM
Ohhhh, you got skooled!

that works!

Osce0la
10/2/2006, 02:07 PM
This thread is a little morbid.

Welcome to the South Oval huh?! ;)

BoogercountySooner
10/2/2006, 02:09 PM
Class dismissed!:)

Jimminy Crimson
10/2/2006, 03:23 PM
:les:COLUMBINED!!!!

...blame jk, he was just asking for a term! :)

Okla-homey
10/2/2006, 03:52 PM
For the record, if they let teachers pack heat, this kinda crap would be more likely to end badly for the whackjob and less likely to result in dead kids.

Instead, there will just be a bunch of posturing, hiring of armed guards, policy issuances and "Gun Free Zone" signs and stuff.

BTW, this Amish tragedy may be the first ever episode of gun death in a private school...at least I assume the school is private.

yermom
10/2/2006, 04:41 PM
i can't imagine Jedediah packing heat in the classroom...

this whole thing makes me think of Weird Al now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvC5pZnPb0Q

RacerX
10/2/2006, 09:30 PM
For the record, if they let teachers pack heat, this kinda crap would be more likely to end badly for the whackjob and less likely to result in dead kids.

Instead, there will just be a bunch of posturing, hiring of armed guards, policy issuances and "Gun Free Zone" signs and stuff.

BTW, this Amish tragedy may be the first ever episode of gun death in a private school...at least I assume the school is private.

Teachers with guns, riiiight.

Okla-homey
10/3/2006, 05:26 AM

Do you honestly believe the coaches(who are also teachers,) would mind carrying a concealed handgun at school? Just a small, compact model 1911 in the old cargo shorts pocket and he's able to protect the children from an armed school intruder.

In fact, I believe the shooting in Mississippi a few years back was brought to an end by a teacher who had a gun at school (illegally BTW.) I'll do some research and see if I can confirm that.

Okla-homey
10/3/2006, 06:10 AM
Okay, here's the deal, during the October 1997 shooting spree at a high school in Pearl, Miss., an assistant principal retrieved a gun (illegally stored there on school property) from his car and physically immobilized the gunman for a full 4 1/2 minutes while waiting for the police to arrive. The gunman had already fatally shot two students (after earlier stabbing his mother to death). Who knows how many lives the assistant principal saved by his prompt response?

The assistant principal was not charged with any crime.

I say, shooting irons for teachers who pass a background check and who feel okay having them at school is just fine.

Jerk
10/3/2006, 06:19 AM

It works well in Israel.

RacerX
10/3/2006, 06:30 AM
I'm thinking back to the teachers I've had. It's a bad idea.

Our country is a little bigger than israel. You're talking maybe tens of thousands of teachers potentially toting guns in schools.

Quality control issue with the gun toters right there.

RacerX
10/3/2006, 06:32 AM
Do you honestly believe the coaches(who are also teachers,) would mind carrying a concealed handgun at school? Just a small, compact model 1911 in the old cargo shorts pocket and he's able to protect the children from an armed school intruder.

In fact, I believe the shooting in Mississippi a few years back was brought to an end by a teacher who had a gun at school (illegally BTW.) I'll do some research and see if I can confirm that.

One positive incident isn't going to change my mind. There seems to be more than one story about nut job teachers out there. Let's give 'em guns!

Okla-homey
10/3/2006, 06:35 AM
I'm thinking back to the teachers I've had. It's a bad idea.

Our country is a little bigger than israel. You're talking maybe tens of thousands of teachers potentially toting guns in schools.

Quality control issue with the gun toters right there.

I quite agree. You wouldn't want to do it wholesale, but find some in each school who are okay with it, train them properly and get them out there. That way, the next time one of these whackjobs waltzes in to start killing little kids, he may find hide ventilated and/or brain housing group penetrated by a fingertip-sized piece of metal.

sanantoniosooner
10/3/2006, 06:41 AM
It's bad enough when you flunk a kid. Now you have to justify busting a cap in him?

Not to mention that A LOT of teachers are liberal women that wouldn't touch a gun for any reason.

Keeping guns on campus opens a whole new can of worms that could potentially be worse than we are currently dealing with.

Okla-homey
10/3/2006, 07:11 AM
:eek:

Not to mention that A LOT of teachers are liberal women that wouldn't touch a gun for any reason. in other words, completely out of touch with reality right?;)

Keeping guns on campus opens a whole new can of worms that could potentially be worse than we are currently dealing with. Yep, might serve to put crazies on notice if they try to pull this crap, they just might die a painful death before they accomplish their twisted goal...as opposed to the current scheme in which they know that until the cops get there, they have nothing to fear.

jk the sooner fan
10/3/2006, 07:25 AM
rather than arm all (or some) of the teachers, why not just put an armed guard at the door.....seems easier and more practical

sanantoniosooner
10/3/2006, 07:31 AM
rather than arm all (or some) of the teachers, why not just put an armed guard at the door.....seems easier and more practical
but I was really looking forward to having weapons and techniques classes added to my long list of classes.

Perhaps the teacher of the year could include a sniper factor.

Sooner_Bob
10/3/2006, 07:38 AM
More people might want to become a teacher if'n they could carry a glock.

Oh, and "you got suspended!!"

Okla-homey
10/3/2006, 08:06 AM

Cuz rent-a-cops are notoriously unwilling to risk their lives in exchange for the $8.00 an hour they get paid.

Look I'm not saying EVERY teacher or administrator, just a couple of folks in each school who feel comfortable being armed, undergo a background check and undergo the training. I also thinks itwould important that no one in the school knows precisely who those people are.

With all these "Troops to Teachers" initiatives, I expect there are lots of vets now, or soon to be, in the classroom who know how to assess a potentially lethal situation and terminate the threat.

Anyway, letting some teachers be armed in public schools (like in Israel) won't happen here for obvious reasons, until it gets much worse. :D

WOLVERINES!

jk the sooner fan
10/3/2006, 08:14 AM
and teachers are willing to risk their lives?

pshaw..please

Mjcpr
10/3/2006, 08:22 AM
I think we need an Air Marshall in every classroom.

leavingthezoo
10/3/2006, 08:49 AM
yeah, i wish my teachers would have packed heat. guns weren't made readily available to me at home, and there was many a day i would have liked the option at school to steal a gun and hold the class hostage if it meant avoiding chemistry quizzes. :D

i've got several teacher friends and family, so my mission tonight is to ask each of them if they'd like the responsibility of totin' pistols on campus and all that goes along with it. i'm not a teacher, so maybe i'm way off what i think their answers will be.

sanantoniosooner
10/3/2006, 08:51 AM
Do you feel lucky Bueller?......anybody, anybody?

UNSeeN_
10/3/2006, 08:56 AM
when we had the news of the post office shootings....the phrase "go postal" was born

now with all the school shootings....do we say "go educational?"

just doesnt sound catchy.....

Yes, this is a sad topic. However...I vote for the phrase "going Amish." I know the shooter wans't Amish, but it sounds good anyways. These shootings need to stop though man, I got kids and don't want to have to worry about these bozos harming them!

jk the sooner fan
10/3/2006, 09:00 AM
i didnt start this thread to make light of the shootings, they are tragic.......it was just bad "cop humor" in an attempt to draw attention to what seems like a new epidemic

we have a hard enough time making sure our teachers are equipped to educate our children.....the last thing i want to do is add the burden of being their armed protectorate