PDA

View Full Version : Cotton Bowl security question

Sooner Eclipse
10/2/2006, 11:56 AM
I'm thinking of taking my 5 year old son to the cotton bowl this saturday. Are there any restrictions concerning backpacks, etc. ?

Looked on the state fair site as well as the cotton bowl site. dont see anything concerning security.

jwlynn64
10/2/2006, 11:59 AM
A good rule of thumb, don't take anything that you can't throw away, including food. Obvious exceptions would be radios, rain coats etc...

Also, if you need to take a backpack, be willing to empty it's contents. I've seen clear backpacks at some of the home games. That might be the way to go.

Just use common sense and you shouldn't have any problems.

Taxman71
10/2/2006, 12:15 PM
Your answer will come when you try to get into the fair itself. That is where the real security check occurs. If they say no, just take it back to your car. If they let it in, odds are you can take it into the game.

Sooner Eclipse
10/2/2006, 12:36 PM
Your answer will come when you try to get into the fair itself. That is where the real security check occurs. If they say no, just take it back to your car. If they let it in, odds are you can take it into the game.

Yeah, I know, but If you take the Dart trains like I plan to, thats an awful long walk back to the car.

I've gone to the RRS in 03 and 04. They had security listed on the state fair website concerning what you could and could not bring in. Just thought I'd ask if anyone had found something concerning this that I had missed. It doesnt sound like they are as strict as the Owen field stadium nazis. But I also don't want to throw away stuff that the kid will need to ride out a 4+ hour stay in the CB.:)

soonerboy_odanorth
10/2/2006, 12:39 PM
Sooner Eclipse...

You sure you want to be taking a 5 year-old to the OU-Texas game?

He may come away with a whole new vocabulary... Not to mention he could see some real ugliness (i.e. fights and that crap)...

I dunno, but I might start him out with a nice gentle home game like... well... MTSU.

JMHO...

Sooner Eclipse
10/2/2006, 12:48 PM
I thought about that, but I live north of Houston and rarely get opportunities to go to a home game. It's either this or buy some tickets to the aTm game.

My parents started taking me to games when I was 6. I know its gonna be a long day for him, so I want to take some things to help him get thru the day.

Maybe I need to reconsider.....

Sooner Eclipse
10/2/2006, 12:54 PM
Maybe I'll call the state fair.

Just use common sense and you shouldn't have any problems. Tell that to my father whose been going to games at Owen field for 50+ years. They made him throw away the case that his binoculars came in yet let my mom carry a purse twice the size in.

Sooner Eclipse
10/2/2006, 01:19 PM
For those that are interested.... I called the state fair.

You are not allowed to carry any thing in except for a small purse for women only. Children are not allowed to carry anything in as well.

Specifically, no backpacks, bags, umbrellas, food or water.

Looks like he may be staying home.:( :( :(

soonerbred
10/2/2006, 01:21 PM
You could check with someone with security when you get to the fair. The state fair has a checkroom located in a building called Grand Place. You can leave your stuff there for $2 as long as you pick up before 9pm. The building is a little west and north of the main stadium gates. You can find a fairgrounds map at www.bigtex.com - click the drop down menu under general information.

ultimatesooner1
10/2/2006, 02:18 PM
at 5 years old he will have a tough time seeing the game. I have never had seats in the cotton bowl where everyone didn't stand for the entire game except for the game where we played the razorhacks

DrZaius
10/2/2006, 02:20 PM
You could buy you a nice purse and get a lady to carry it in for you.

jwlynn64
10/2/2006, 02:33 PM
at 5 years old he will have a tough time seeing the game. I have never had seats in the cotton bowl where everyone didn't stand for the entire game except for the game where we played the razorhacks

But he would be the only one in the sadium to actually fit into the seats!!! ;)

Sooner Eclipse
10/2/2006, 03:09 PM
You could buy you a nice purse and get a lady to carry it in for you.

Dammit, I told you guys that was a MAN BAG, NOT a purse:D

RedstickSooner
10/2/2006, 03:25 PM
I'm thinking of taking my 5 year old son to the cotton bowl this saturday. Are there any restrictions concerning backpacks, etc. ?

Just buy the kid a ticket, Eclipse. Sheesh!

And even if they *did* let you bring a backpack, can you *really* trust your five-year-old not to giggle when the security goons are poking around in the backpack, making sure you're not toting explosives (or more importantly, outside beer)?

I mean, 5-year-olds are ticklish, yo.

:D

Jimminy Crimson
10/2/2006, 03:36 PM
Make sure your flask is the plastic kind, as not to set off the metal detector, or have to throw away a nice metal one. :)

Sooner Eclipse
10/2/2006, 05:10 PM
Just buy the kid a ticket, Eclipse. Sheesh!

And even if they *did* let you bring a backpack, can you *really* trust your five-year-old not to giggle when the security goons are poking around in the backpack, making sure you're not toting explosives (or more importantly, outside beer)?

I mean, 5-year-olds are ticklish, yo.

:D

Ya got me there, my wife always complains that I'm too frikken cheap:eek:

mrowl
10/2/2006, 05:16 PM
Make sure your flask is the plastic kind, as not to set off the metal detector, or have to throw away a nice metal one. :)

and don't wait until noon to try to get in the fair. those lines for the security check take FOREVER.

mdklatt
10/2/2006, 05:21 PM

Does your son have an Islamic beard?

stoops the eternal pimp
10/2/2006, 05:50 PM
im more concerned with someone stealing my child in that neighborhood

mrowl
10/2/2006, 06:03 PM
im more concerned with someone stealing my child in that neighborhood

if he has copper in his pockets, yes.