Sooner in Tampa
10/2/2006, 09:26 AM
I hate Mondays...and Monday in a new class double sucks. :(

The first couple hours are very basic .net platform and .net framework

:twinkies:

:pop:

BlondeSoonerGirl
10/2/2006, 09:30 AM
VB's cool. I wish I knew more about it...

:les: PAY ATTENTION IN CLASS!!!

Sooner in Tampa
10/2/2006, 09:31 AM
:les: PAY ATTENTION IN CLASS!!!
:O Yes ma'am

BlondeSoonerGirl
10/2/2006, 09:32 AM
Did I just sass a marine?

OOO-RAH!!!!

Sooner in Tampa
10/2/2006, 09:41 AM
Did I just sass a marine?

OOO-RAH!!!!:eek: :hot:

Vaevictis
10/2/2006, 11:30 AM
VB. *shudder*

The
10/2/2006, 11:53 AM
Public Sub VB ()
Dim pVb As String
Set pVb = "Very Good"

MsgBox pVb

End Sub

Sooner in Tampa
10/2/2006, 11:53 AM
VB. *shudder*My intial reaction to it is that it seems pretty decent. Granted...it has only been 3 hrs worth of instruction, but I like what I see so far.

We shall see how my perception has changed on Friday

:pop:

Vaevictis
10/2/2006, 11:57 AM
It's definately got some advantages, but that doesn't mean I'd want to program in it.

The syntax alone makes me a little nauseated.

... and I suspect you're more likely to have your perception changed a year or so from now when you have to go back and maintain some of the code you've written. That's probably when it will really hit you. (Very much like perl in that regard)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/2/2006, 12:05 PM
Public Sub VB ()
Dim pVb As String
Set pVb = "Very Good"

MsgBox pVb

End Sub

set is a lot more complicated now

now, its

public class jkm as one_bored_individual
inherits poster
sub new()
end sub
dim _jkm_is_bored as boolean
public property jkm_is_bored as boolean
get
return _jkm_is_bored
end get
set jkm_is_bored(Value as boolean)
_jkm_is_bored = Value
end set
end property
end class

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/2/2006, 12:06 PM
where are you? i'm in atlanta for SAP training. its worse than boring :(

Sooner in Tampa
10/2/2006, 12:25 PM
where are you? i'm in atlanta for SAP training. its worse than boring :(Orlando...New Horizons.

Veritas
10/2/2006, 12:46 PM
VB. *shudder*
Preach it brotha. I hate that lobotimized ****.

Vaevictis
10/2/2006, 12:47 PM
Preach it brotha. I hate that lobotimized ****.

Did you know that VB makes the baby Jesus cry? True story. :D

Veritas
10/2/2006, 12:50 PM
Did you know that VB makes the baby Jesus cry? True story. :D
If you gotta learn managed code, go C#, a better bet is to start w/ non-Win32 C++ and move to Win32 C++. That way when things go wrong you'll at least have a clue what the hell you're doing.

Ike
10/2/2006, 01:04 PM
... and I suspect you're more likely to have your perception changed a year or so from now when you have to go back and maintain some of the code you've written. That's probably when it will really hit you. (Very much like perl in that regard)

CSF,
when writing code you will have to maintain, in any language: Write the comments first, then fill them out with code.

then go back and put in more comments.

you'll thank yourself later, and maybe not wind up hating the language a year or so from now.

Norm In Norman
10/2/2006, 01:34 PM
CSF,
when writing code you will have to maintain, in any language: Write the comments first, then fill them out with code.

you'll thank yourself later, and maybe not wind up hating the language a year or so from now.
Yeah, you might as well cut your testicles off in the process because real men don't comment their code.

Ike
10/2/2006, 01:42 PM
Yeah, you might as well cut your testicles off in the process because real men don't comment their code.

heh.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/2/2006, 02:57 PM

flashbacks to vaRiable boy :mad:

Vaevictis
10/2/2006, 04:59 PM
CSF,

That's good advice. But haven't you ever said, "Ok, now that I've read the comments I know how this function is supposed to work... but how the **** is that actually implemented by this code? Does the code even match the comments anymore?!@"

A good programmer writes clear documentation. A code written in a good (better, really) programming language *is* clear documentation.

Ike
10/2/2006, 05:01 PM
That's good advice. But haven't you ever said, "Ok, now that I've read the comments I know how this function is supposed to work... but how the **** is that actually implemented by this code? Does the code even match the comments anymore?!@"

A good programmer writes clear documentation. A good (better, really) programming language *is* clear documentation.

yeah, thats true...but on the other hand, if you are diligent about your own comments, you can at least avoid making that mistake on your own code....

other peoples code however is a different story.

as far as a good language being the documentation....I don't think thats possible with an OO language. Especially when people import/include a brazillian libraries into the same namespace.

Vaevictis
10/2/2006, 05:05 PM
yeah, thats true...but on the other hand, if you are diligent about your own comments, you can at least avoid making that mistake on your own code....

Not always. There have been cases where I've implemented something, documented it diligently and clearly, and gone back a few years later, looked at the comments, looked at the code, and gone "What. The. ****."

The language in question was perl. If it had been written in C, it would have been just fine. :/

(Which isn't to say perl is a *bad* language. It's excellent as long as you don't mind the write-once, read-never feature.)

Sooner in Tampa
10/2/2006, 05:12 PM
rabble, rabble, rabble

Ike
10/2/2006, 05:12 PM
Not always. There have been cases where I've implemented something, documented it diligently and clearly, and gone back a few years later, looked at the comments, looked at the code, and gone "What. The. ****."

The language in question was perl. If it had been written in C, it would have been just fine. :/

(Which isn't to say perl is a *bad* language. It's excellent as long as you don't mind the write-once, read-never feature.)

ahhh...well, being as I use python for all my scripting needs, I can't speak to perl...

python is great in that regard I guess, except for the forced indentation...once you go past about 5 levels of indents, you start to think "ok, where am I in this loop again?"

mdklatt
10/2/2006, 05:14 PM
The first couple hours are very basic .net platform and .net framework

Please tell me they're not teaching you Hungarian notation. Dear Lord in heaven, make it stop.

Sooner in Tampa
10/3/2006, 08:29 AM
Please tell me they're not teaching you Hungarian notation. Dear Lord in heaven, make it stop.:confused: never even heard of it.

We are really doing the basics...opening our connection, getting info from a database and closing the connection. Throw in a little html code for the table and thats it.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/3/2006, 11:45 AM
ah, web stuff. i highly suggest you download dotnetnuke for practice. maybe then you can update some of my ouportal modules. again. :mad:

Sooner in Tampa
10/3/2006, 01:23 PM
This is fun ****e...:rolleyes:

Dim con As New SqlClient.SqlConnection(CS)
Dim cmd As New SqlClient.SqlCommand(SQL, con)

etc...etc...etc...

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/3/2006, 01:31 PM
uh, import sqlclient

Sooner in Tampa
10/3/2006, 01:32 PM
uh, import sqlclient:confused:

More fun

Public Property UserName() As String
Get
Return myName
End Get