PDA

View Full Version : SCREW KOCO

winnard
10/1/2006, 10:22 PM
They've pulled the HDTV signal from Cox Cable because of extortionous demands for millions of dollars for the signal. I'm boycotting KOCO, and when Mark Rodgers is on WWLS, I'm turning the channel out of spite. I just got the HDTV this week so I can watch the OU/Texas game, now that's not gonna happen.

DrZaius
10/1/2006, 10:55 PM
This happens all the time. Comcast is the most known for extortion. You should be mad at COX. Cable companies are the scum of the earth. I can assure you that they were in the wrong not KOCO. Cable companies for years have been trying to bully everyone out of their money because of their shrinking market, constant and chartable rate hikes, inferior service to customers, and their losing battle with the dish companies.

Get a dish service of somekind..........BOYCOTT the CABLE COMPANIES!

They blow

msteudem
10/1/2006, 11:07 PM
You can buy a cheap $10 antenna and pick up the game over the air with your TV. I use a cheap antenna for all of the local channel for HD and Satelite for non local channels.

SoonerBorn
10/1/2006, 11:10 PM
You can buy a cheap $10 antenna and pick up the game over the air with your TV.

My brother, no bull, uses a paperclip as an antenna for his HDTV signal. Works fine.

NUSooner
10/1/2006, 11:24 PM
My brother, no bull, uses a paperclip as an antenna for his HDTV signal. Works fine.

From Norman?

SoonerBorn
10/1/2006, 11:30 PM
From Norman?

No, he lives in Yukon.

All_Day_28
10/2/2006, 12:59 AM
Dammit, these bastards(whoever is responsible, most likely cox) need to ** **** **********!!!!!!

ou4me
10/2/2006, 01:14 AM
Well, I'm pretty upset about this myself. The problem I have is that you CAN NOT get KOCO in SW OKC over antenna. I'm mainly ****ed because Cox waited until 1am on Saturday morning to send out an email about this whole crappy deal when the permission to broadcast expired at Midnight Saturday night. They knew they were going to get slammed with phone calls and waited until then to try to cut down on that. The email plainly stated that they have been in negotiations for quite some time with Argyle-Hurst. This is on Cox. First FOX, now ABC. I'm sure that HDTV subscribers would be willing to pay a $5 or so fee to get ALL the local HD channels. It seems funny to me that Cox will pay the carriage fee for the SD channel, but not for the HD channel. They know they would have a mutiny on thier hands if they dropped the SD channel. But there are fewer of us HD subscribers, so screw us.

/rant

OU Adonis
10/2/2006, 02:44 AM
Wow, interesting thoughts here.

Why should a cable subscriber be forced to pay for an HD channel thats free over the air? You are basically saying to cable subscribers that they are screwed since they have cable.

OU Adonis
10/2/2006, 02:45 AM
This happens all the time. Comcast is the most known for extortion. You should be mad at COX. Cable companies are the scum of the earth. I can assure you that they were in the wrong not KOCO. Cable companies for years have been trying to bully everyone out of their money because of their shrinking market, constant and chartable rate hikes, inferior service to customers, and their losing battle with the dish companies.

They blow

So Dr Zaius, how is Cox getting money from KOCO? Got any facts to throw out?

buck
10/2/2006, 03:29 AM
cox said screw hearst argyle, they are the ones forcing cox to pay more to carry the hd signal, and cox said no, we aren't making our customers pay more for a signal they can get free over the air. it really has nothing to do with koco. this is happening in other markets as well.....its hearst argyle's fault

Taxman71
10/2/2006, 06:36 AM

Can I have McGyver....err your brother's autograph?

Paperclip
10/2/2006, 08:07 AM

But I have to stand on one leg with aluminum foil wrapped around my index finger.

OUDoc
10/2/2006, 08:15 AM
I haven't been able to get KOCO's OTA HD signal for some time now. Anyone else still able to get it?

OUstudent4life
10/2/2006, 09:27 AM
Drop Cox in OKC. You won't be able to watch the BCS bowl games (on Fox) in HD either.

Taxman71
10/2/2006, 10:11 AM
Drop Cox in OKC. You won't be able to watch the BCS bowl games (on Fox) in HD either.

Would love to except I have no less than 6 TVs in my house and I can't imagine having to have that many satellite receivers.

We need a cable competitor that can directly compete with Cox somehow using the existing coax lines to our houses.

Plus, aren't satellite dishes the official state flower of Texas?

Bourbon St Sooner
10/2/2006, 10:23 AM
I'm guessing it's Cox, because they're dropping our NBC affiliate from the HD lineup here. I'm guessing the guy who said they have a problem with Hearst-Argyle is right. Luckily we still have ABC in HD.

msteudem
10/2/2006, 10:28 AM
I haven't been able to get KOCO's OTA HD signal for some time now. Anyone else still able to get it?

I haven't had any problems with it on my antenna. Sometime I have to adjust the dial on the antenna but that's it.

Chrisrokc
10/2/2006, 10:39 AM
New poster, long time watcher :pop:

lol

So what kind of HDTV's do you guys have? I have a Sanyo Aquos that is 720p/1080i that is "HD Ready" I use a cox hd dvr box. But yea I am ****ed about this!!! I'm an OU student and have a place to stay in Texas but sadly I have studying to do and I am stuck back here. Planned to watch the game on cable hd!

So what will I need to pick up the signal? Just the antenna?:confused:

fwsooner22
10/2/2006, 10:56 AM
Cable is dead............. has been for awhile now.........call directv and switch.....they will have you hooked up by Friday.............

85Sooner
10/2/2006, 11:04 AM
They've pulled the HDTV signal from Cox Cable because of extortionous demands for millions of dollars for the signal. I'm boycotting KOCO, and when Mark Rodgers is on WWLS, I'm turning the channel out of spite. I just got the HDTV this week so I can watch the OU/Texas game, now that's not gonna happen.

What TV do you have please?

Landthief 1972
10/2/2006, 11:10 AM
You guys picking up decent signals with an air antenna must be geniuses. I haven't gotten a decent signal via antenna since the early 90s. I had to watch the second half of the 2000 Orange bowl through fuzz and ghost images, and I lived in El Reno, not exactly a great distance from the TV broadcast towers. Had the same issues in Edmond, OKC and now in Kingfisher. Finally said screw it and ponied up for Dish Network and their local channels option + DVR (which I can no longer live without). However, I don't have HD, so I can't pipe in on that.

I do know DirecTV is doing some great deal on 4 hookups with basic services for only $20 a month. That would be one dish with 2 receivers, IIRC.

DrZaius
10/2/2006, 11:12 AM
So Dr Zaius, how is Cox getting money from KOCO? Got any facts to throw out?

Well what typically happens is that Cable companies pay networks per subscriber. I will use The Discovery Channel as an example. Discovery gets somewhere between 3 and 5 cents per box (cable household). When that fee seems to be to much for the Cable company to pay they blackout the said network from their programming teirs, which in turn cause the network to loose their advertising money. Once the network, who without advertising will go out of business, caves to the demand of the cable provider the cable company puts them back on the air. The problem with this tactic is that none of these barganing moves by the cable companies ever gets reflected in your bill that you pay. All it ever does is increase their profits.

Last year COX which is based here in Atlanta blacked out all Disney's channels for a couple of months to help force them to sell their ESPN networks to comcast. I know this because I am a Broadcast Engineer and helped ESPN stay on the air with backhaul feeds while the cable companies were commiting extortion. Last that I checked is that extortion is illegal in this country yet the cable companies commit this act on a regular basis.

Now I have no evidence to what is going on with KOCO but I can surmise this. It sounds an awfully like KOCO wanted a particular fee per subsciber, COX said screw you, and they will not carry the channel until KOCO bows to their demands. Sounds like a great industry does'nt it!

Call DirecTV or Dish.....Find out if the locals are availible via satellite for OKC, I know they are in Atlanta. If they are then switch.

Cable still sucks

sooner n houston
10/2/2006, 11:32 AM
What do you guys who have satellite do about internet access? I love the cable speed. Does DirecTV or Dish offer high speed internet? How does it compare to cable? TIA

sooner13f
10/2/2006, 11:47 AM
I have my telephone, tv, and internet through cable. I have tried DirecTV several times in the past but I hated it locking up everytime it started to rain which always seemed to happen during a football game. Plus I save a lot of money not having to use seperate providers.

Taxman71
10/2/2006, 11:52 AM
You guys picking up decent signals with an air antenna must be geniuses. I haven't gotten a decent signal via antenna since the early 90s. I had to watch the second half of the 2000 Orange bowl through fuzz and ghost images, and I lived in El Reno, not exactly a great distance from the TV broadcast towers. Had the same issues in Edmond, OKC and now in Kingfisher. Finally said screw it and ponied up for Dish Network and their local channels option + DVR (which I can no longer live without). However, I don't have HD, so I can't pipe in on that.

I do know DirecTV is doing some great deal on 4 hookups with basic services for only $20 a month. That would be one dish with 2 receivers, IIRC.

Go to www.antennaweb.org (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/www.antennaweb.org)

Their site can tell you what type of antenna you need and how to use it.

Sooner_Bob
10/2/2006, 11:59 AM
What do you guys who have satellite do about internet access? I love the cable speed. Does DirecTV or Dish offer high speed internet? How does it compare to cable? TIA

I still use Cox as my ISP (or Sudden Link as of a few months ago) and DishNetwork as TV provider.

JohnnyMack
10/2/2006, 12:05 PM
I will take this opportunity to once again point out that when it comes to HD broadcasts, Tulsa pwns OKC.

Nanny nanny boo-boo, stick your collective heads in doo-doo.

jwlynn64
10/2/2006, 12:08 PM
Cable is dead............. has been for awhile now.........call directv and switch.....they will have you hooked up by Friday.............

I have DirecTV in the Dallas area and I have to use an antenae to get the local channels in HD. If this is the same in other markets, and I don't have any reason to suspect otherwise, then switching to DirecTV will not solve your problems.

Also, I had to buy my HD-DVR through DirecTV. When I had Comcast, I paid $9.95/month for the HD-DVR (leasing fee). I would have paid $5/month for a regular receiver so the HD only cost an extra $5/month as well.

buck
10/2/2006, 12:10 PM
what makes you think any of these other corporations are any less evil than cox? read the following, and direcTV is owned by general motors so go figure: EchoStar Communications, the parent company of the DISH Network, said it removed 16 local channels and 10 nationally distributed channels owned by Viacom International Inc. at midnight Monday night, after talks between the two companies broke down.
DISH customers who had previously paid for a package which included the disputed channels will be credited $1 per month while the talks continue.

ADVERTISEMENT As of midnight, DISH dropped BET, Comedy Central, MTV, MTV2, MTV Espanol, Nickelodeon, Nick Games & Sports, Noggin, VH1, VH1 Classic and CBS-HD East and West from its network. DISH also stopped broadcasting CBS channels owned by Viacom in Austin, Boston, Baltimore, Chicago, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Denver, Detroit, Green Bay, Wis., Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, Minneapolis, Los Angeles, New York, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Salt Lake City and San Francisco.

DarrellZero
10/2/2006, 12:36 PM

Satellite internet sucks, don't do it. Keep your cable or use DSL for internet if you switch to satellite TV.

OUstudent4life
10/2/2006, 01:18 PM
The timing of all of this is what majorly succs. Don't think that neither side didn't laugh in an evil plotting Bond villian way when they thought: "Ohhh...this will make the OKC HD consumers sooooo angry at (insert Cox or KOCO owner here), with the loss of HD programming during the biggest football weekend for that region every year, plus the premire of possibly our biggest show on TV...MWA-HAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!"

bastadges.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

jwlynn64
10/2/2006, 01:20 PM
As far as internet goes, I have DSL which, at the present time, is associated with your home phone service. I have had cable internet in the past and I haven't really noticed any decline in speed but I don't do gaming or anything that requires the fastest connection.

Pretty much every service has it's pros and cons. Just pick the one that has the least cons and you'll be OK.

DrZaius
10/2/2006, 01:52 PM
Here are some tips for those wanting to Recieve HD broadcasts.

Over the Air (UHF) users:
Get you a good UHF antenna. One of the best is the ChannelMaster 4228,
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c400/drzaiusatl/Forum%20Pics/4228.jpg

you should not pay more than $50.00. It has a 60 mile gain pattern. You should have no problem getting the local digital broadcast from the air for free. Except if you have to buy a tuner. External tuners are about $200.00 if your TV does not have one built in. Do not let the look of the antenna bother you. Many people have had great success in using this same antenna in their attic. But you will have to try to find out. Those who live in sticky homeowner associations don't fret either. The FCC has made it illegal for associations to ban ouitdoor antenna's. An association has no rights to keep a citizen from acquiring television or radio. Though you could still be in kind of a fight with them. screw them

ACE and Lowes are dealers but you need to call to make sure. Another place is: Oklahoma City Wintronics
3428 Lakeside Dr.
Oklahoma City, OK 73179
Phone: (405) 682-0545
Phone Number 2: 0

DirecTV: If you already have HD service from Direct then you are set. Call DirecTV and find out if the OKC locals are in HD from the satellite. If they are then all you have to do is upgrade to the H20 receiver that is MPEG4 compliant. DO NOT let them sell you an HD DVR. Their new MPEG4 DVR is not availible yet and they will sell you the older one that will NOT receive locals in HD without an external UHF antenna. Then when the MPEG4 DVR does come out you will have to upgrade again.

Dish: I have no clue about what they offer as far as HD or how they do it. I do not know many people who have them as a service. I have been a Direc subsciber for many years, mostly because of my line of work.

I hope this helps.

OU Adonis
10/2/2006, 02:07 PM
Now I have no evidence to what is going on with KOCO but I can surmise this.

Thats all I needed to know, I can pretty much disregard anthing else you say.

CtheB
10/2/2006, 02:13 PM
I have my telephone, tv, and internet through cable. I have tried DirecTV several times in the past but I hated it locking up everytime it started to rain which always seemed to happen during a football game. Plus I save a lot of money not having to use seperate providers.

Ditto here. Former DirecTV subscriber. Use an HD antenna to get the local channels in HD. Problem is I cannot record in HD with the Cox DVR, have to record off the regular KOCO.

But Cox is screwing up. Had the NFL Network in HD for 60 days, then lost it with no warning. Now we look like we're getting FSN HD.

DrZaius
10/2/2006, 02:16 PM
Ditto here. Former DirecTV subscriber. Use an HD antenna to get the local channels in HD. Problem is I cannot record in HD with the Cox DVR, have to record off the regular KOCO.

But Cox is screwing up. Had the NFL Network in HD for 60 days, then lost it with no warning. Now we look like we're getting FSN HD.

I you want to record HD you can get a tuner card for your PC. MyHD makes a really good one.

Linky (http://www.digitalconnection.com/Products/Video/mdp130.asp)

Stoop Dawg
10/2/2006, 02:20 PM
Thats all I needed to know, I can pretty much disregard anthing else you say.

So if anonymous internet message board guy had said "I work for Cox" you would have done what? Taken his word for it and filed a law suit? :rolleyes:

JohnnyMack
10/2/2006, 02:24 PM
All you satellite humpers, what about when it rains, snows and is windy?

DrZaius
10/2/2006, 02:25 PM
So if anonymous internet message board guy had said "I work for Cox" you would have done what? Taken his word for it and filed a law suit? :rolleyes:

I am not ashamed of who I work for. I do not work for a cable company and I never would.

I am a Senior Broadcast Engineer for Turner Broadcasting. I have been a broadcast/satellite engineer for the past 12 years.

I am not a Dish salesman. I believe in all aspects of what I do for a living that Cable blows. Just my opinion.

Did not mean to hurt anyones feelings.

jwlynn64
10/2/2006, 02:32 PM

Can't speak for everyone but I have only lost service once when we were having about 50 mph winds.

I can say that I have had much less service interuption with Satellite than I did with cable. My cable would go out for apparently no reason once or twice a month for between 10 minutes and an hour.

For me, satellite service is more reliable.

Having said that, I wouldn't hesitate to switch back to cable if the price were right and my contract was up.

mrowl
10/2/2006, 02:37 PM

the only time I have it go out is when the electricity goes out. So, your screwed either way.

And, I am considering switching to Fios TV, as soon as a multistream cable card is available.

OUstudent4life
10/2/2006, 02:38 PM

Do you not have the Cox HD DVR?

...or can you hook up an HDA OTA antenna to the Cox HD boxes and get HD service? If so, sweet. That solves my problem of having like the last HDTV that doesn't have a receiver.

I'm clueless when it comes to this stuff...which is probably why it's making me so angry :D.

OUstud
10/2/2006, 02:50 PM

Or when the dog sneezes?

msteudem
10/2/2006, 02:55 PM

I have DISH and I never have problems with losing my signal unless a tornado rips through of course. DirectTV uses outdated equipment (most satelite users are on DirectTV so that is why you here of loss of signal problems during storms and stuff). The only problem with Satelites in general is the FCC doesn't allow for Satelite companies to broadcast local channels in HD. I have no reason why this is.

DrZaius
10/2/2006, 02:58 PM
The only problem with Satelites in general is the FCC doesn't allow for Satelite companies to broadcast local channels in HD. I have no reason why this is.

Wrong.

DirecTV is broadcasting locals in HD right now. I am not sure if OKC has started yet but I know for sure that Atlanta's are on the bird.

JohnnyMack
10/2/2006, 03:00 PM
Can't speak for everyone but I have only lost service once when we were having about 50 mph winds.

I can say that I have had much less service interuption with Satellite than I did with cable. My cable would go out for apparently no reason once or twice a month for between 10 minutes and an hour.

For me, satellite service is more reliable.

Having said that, I wouldn't hesitate to switch back to cable if the price were right and my contract was up.

One of my friends who lives in my neighborhood just switched from whatever satellite company he had over to Cox because the signal was for ****. We had it go out during a game once (raining). He switched because it was REALLY inconsistent. I've had CoxHD for a year and a half now and have had ZERO problems with it.

PhilTLL
10/2/2006, 03:06 PM
I haven't had a weather-related cable outage in years (when I was still living in home or here in Norman). Had DirecTV free for a year in a place I was renting, and it was in and out in any kind of weather. Yeah, cable is definitely a dying entity if you love frequent outages, buying equipment, no maintenance, and no On Demand.

Besides that, it's theoretically FCC-required for local channels to provide their HD signal to cable companies for free. Yeah, eff Cox, clearly in the wrong here!

jwlynn64
10/2/2006, 03:30 PM
One of my friends who lives in my neighborhood just switched from whatever satellite company he had over to Cox because the signal was for ****. We had it go out during a game once (raining). He switched because it was REALLY inconsistent. I've had CoxHD for a year and a half now and have had ZERO problems with it.

I can only guess that the dish wansn't mounted properly (he-hee, I said mounted). I guess that the guy that installed my dish did a good job because I have only lost the signal once in four years and it was only out for about 3 - 5 minutes.

I have to say that I'm disappointed that DirecTV (at least the HD-DVR that have) does not give me the local channels in HD. Luckily I had a issue with a receiver that I picked up at Best Buy and they upgraded me to HD for free or else I would have been on the phone chewing some a$$.

Don't know about anyone else but most of my HD viewing is on the big four networks so having to get those channels OTA pretty much sucks.

I'm going to look into that wacky antannae that was posted earlier and try putting it in my attic to see what reception I get.

DrZaius
10/2/2006, 03:38 PM
I have to say that I'm disappointed that DirecTV (at least the HD-DVR that have) does not give me the local channels in HD. Luckily I had a issue with a receiver that I picked up at Best Buy and they upgraded me to HD for free or else I would have been on the phone chewing some a$$.

Don't know about anyone else but most of my HD viewing is on the big four networks so having to get those channels OTA pretty much sucks.

I'm going to look into that wacky antannae that was posted earlier and try putting it in my attic to see what reception I get.

Your wait will soon be over. The new DirecTV MPEG4 dvr should be out by November. And as I understand it, those that have the MPEG2 HD TIVO will get a free upgrade to the new DVR. Something to look forward to. That antenna that I posted earlier is the best, whether it works in your attic or not is another thing. Many have had success but other have not. GOOD LUCK. I just keep mine outside.

One of Bob's Children
10/2/2006, 03:47 PM
Since we are upset about HD I've been ****ed at cox for several reasons... First I have a Toshiba 56" HDTV that is capable of 1080P resolution. I didnt know much about the HDTV and I called Cox and asked why I was broadcasting in 1080I and if a 1080P resolution was possible and the son of a ***** that was a "Cox Rep" laughed at me. That was 3 months ago, DAMN IT COX I WANT MY ABC-HD, FOX-HD, and what about ESPN2-HD!!!! NOW!!! I do have the HD antena but I dont like switching to it because you can not record with the DVR with it.

jwlynn64
10/2/2006, 03:50 PM
Since we are upset about HD I've been ****ed at cox for several reasons... First I have a Toshiba 56" HDTV that is capable of 1080P resolution. I didnt know much about the HDTV and I called Cox and asked why I was broadcasting in 1080I and if a 1080P resolution was possible and the son of a ***** that was a "Cox Rep" laughed at me. That was 3 months ago, DAMN IT COX I WANT MY ABC-HD, FOX-HD, and what about ESPN2-HD!!!! NOW!!! I do have the HD antena but I dont like switching to it because you can not record with the DVR with it.

At least the crappy HD-DVR that I have with DirecTV does record the OTA signal to the DVR.

Woo-Hoo, one good thing about the satellite!!! ;)

Stoop Dawg
10/2/2006, 06:19 PM
I've had CoxHD for a year and a half now and have had ZERO problems with it.

Just don't change the channel before the VoD screen appears lest your box reset - for about 5 minutes.

auto
10/2/2006, 06:31 PM
Wrong.

DirecTV is broadcasting locals in HD right now. I am not sure if OKC has started yet but I know for sure that Atlanta's are on the bird.

Not in Dallas, said it was illegal. Dumped their ***, got and HD DVR and now watch HD and record, dropped my cable bille and internet. Directtv lies when they open their mouths.:D

mrowl
10/2/2006, 07:14 PM
Not in Dallas, said it was illegal. Dumped their ***, got and HD DVR and now watch HD and record, dropped my cable bille and internet. Directtv lies when they open their mouths.:D

incredible. people don't do research anymore.

Yes, locals in HD are available in dallas, with directv.

Yes, the Mpeg 4 HDDVR through TV is ALREADY OUT. YOU CAN BUY IT RIGHT NOW.

winnard
10/2/2006, 09:53 PM
What TV do you have please?

A Panasonic HDTV, it has the tuner.

Cam
10/2/2006, 10:05 PM
So should I get an amplified or non-amplified indoor antenna?

Taxman71
10/3/2006, 06:45 AM
Preferably amplified.

ChocLab
10/3/2006, 06:52 PM
As said by others, you guys who are having trouble with KOCO's signal just need to put up an antenna and get HDTV over the air. It's not uncommon at all for the over-the-air digital signal to be even cleaner than the cable one, as it's going to you directly and not running through a cable.

If you have a late-model HDTV, as in one made in the last year or so, you probably have a built-in tuner and all you have to do is hook up an antenna. If you have an older "HDTV monitor" without the tuner, you will need a separate set top box for receiving digital TV. But most people probably have the tuner built in.

The only thing I'd change about Dr. Zaius's post is that KOCO is actually a VHF signal (channel 7) and the antenna he showed you is really for UHF. (Which is rare -- most digital broadcasts are UHF.) In fact, the reason KOCO is so weak in SW OKC is that they are protecting Lawton's analog channel 7. But a better VHF antenna is very easy to locate... Just try a Lowes (Home Depot doesn't carry them) or a Radio Shack, if you need something local and quick.

Just saying... Don't give up. If you haven't had luck getting the signal, a better antenna will do it. And beware of "HDTV" antennas at the local Wally World/department store -- a lot of them are junk. So-called HDTV signals are just regular TV signals that are best received by the same antennas that have been around forever, as the physics haven't changed.

One more thing: Here's an article on this very subject. The cut-channel antenna he's using is practically impossible to find anymore (I've searched everywhere), but a more standard VHF antenna will work just about as well -- it just might be a little bigger.

http://www.hdtvok.com/one-vhf-dtv-reception-solution/

Good luck and I hope this helps somebody.

mustangsooner
10/3/2006, 09:30 PM

That is such bull**** that they pulled the signal. I better get a rebate on my cable bill. I had to buy that damn MTSU game for 30 F ing bucks.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

The VIIIth
10/3/2006, 09:59 PM

They blow

BS. This is the Parent Company, Hearst Argyle who owns KOCO trying to gouge Cox the week before the single largest annual television event in Oklahoma. They'll catch a 44 share at a minimum for Saturdays Oklahoma game and the asswipes are using us as their negotiating pawn/tool with Cox.

There are better ways to negotiate.

Not to mention the fact that NBC and CBS have to be enjoying this publicity faux pas/blunder by the osu grad who is in charge of reaching an agreement for KOCO. If you are a TV company who relies on the publics goodwill in order for you to sustain your business, probably the last people I would attempt to infuriate would be my audience. Then, you wisely take away probably the single most passionate common denominator amongst all Oklahomans, their football, which in this case happen to be the OU texas game. One other common denominator in Oklahomans is our general distaste for things texan.

So you leverage your audience in your negotiations, then threaten to take away from that same audience the HD broadcast of the most revered football game in two states.

**** on them. I couldn't agree more with whoever suggested a ban. I don't need them. I don't need channel 5 or ABC. I will not watch their commercials nor pay any attention to their sponsors.

In fact, I will attempt to avoid their commercial sponsors and in the same vein, I'll avoid doing business with their sponsors.

We clearly need a new thread titled "BOYCOTT KOCO CHANNEL 5 and THEIR COMMERCIAL SPONSORS"

Believe me, I guarantee someone who cares if we watch their commercials is reading this board.

okcfan33
10/3/2006, 10:59 PM
I think it's funny that everyone is still going to be able to watch the game (albeit a little less clearly), but you can still watch it just the same.

Didn't everyone watch the OU/Texas game for years without any interruption even before HD was invented?

Technology has made everyone fickle. If my highspeed internet is going slow, I am raising hell, but back in 1996, I was tickled to death to have 56k.

OU Adonis
10/3/2006, 11:14 PM
That is such bull**** that they pulled the signal. I better get a rebate on my cable bill. I had to buy that damn MTSU game for 30 F ing bucks.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I am a bit confused. Rebate on what? You don't pay anything for ABC in hi-def.

And why did you have to buy the game?

jwlynn64
10/4/2006, 08:18 AM
I think it's funny that everyone is still going to be able to watch the game (albeit a little less clearly), but you can still watch it just the same.

Didn't everyone watch the OU/Texas game for years without any interruption even before HD was invented?

Technology has made everyone fickle. If my highspeed internet is going slow, I am raising hell, but back in 1996, I was tickled to death to have 56k.

So, you pay a predetermined amount of money to a nice Steak House for a dinner for two. About a day before your dinner, the restaurant calls and tells you that the dinner is still on but instead of the NY Strip steak that you originally agreed upon, they are going to serve you a hamburger and fries. It's still technically beef and potatos so you shouldn't have a problem with that.

Yeah, I see your point? :confused: