PDA

View Full Version : So what's the new "wrinkle" for Texas this year?

The Maestro
10/1/2006, 06:53 PM
We always seem to have something new for Texas. There was the misdirection pitch to AD, the option, the tight end in motion and blocking for Q and who could forget last year's impersonation of a really bad team!

I think plays completely designed for PT running is a possibility. Naked bootleg's or something along those lines. I can't imagine him running true option.

Just please...no halfback passes!

I also expect to see Jermaine Gresham's true greatness unleashed!

Is it Saturday yet?!?!?!

I'm ready for this one...

Newbomb Turk
10/1/2006, 06:56 PM
I keep waiting for some kind of reverse pass where PT is on the receiving end.

sooneron
10/1/2006, 06:56 PM
I don't think I'll be ready til Tuesday. I say, wishbone!

SeattleOUstudent
10/1/2006, 06:59 PM
Wishbone would be killer if we didnt have a stud-based WR corp.

MarylandSooner
10/1/2006, 07:04 PM
The new wrinkle is acually the old wrinkle. Mack will get smacked by Bob, Mack does not have VY to lean on this time. By the way, pinnacle sports has us as a five point favorate.

XingTheRubicon
10/1/2006, 07:05 PM
hopefully not getting donkey stomped

Octavian
10/1/2006, 07:09 PM
The new wrinkle is acually the old wrinkle. Mack will get smacked by Bob, Mack does not have VY to lean on this time. By the way, pinnacle sports has us as a five point favorate.

you do realize that Mack has beaten Bob w/out VY right?

an AD toss-sweep-pass for a TD would be a nice highlight though.

sure tackling would would probably get us further...

sooneron
10/1/2006, 07:14 PM
I could see them letting AD toss one to get the highlight.

bri
I vote for "not losing".

XingTheRubicon

We're a 5(1/2) point dog.

http://www.madduxsports.com/college-football-lines.php#combo

Rogue
10/1/2006, 07:39 PM
A blast from the not-so-distant pass. Option in the Red Zone.
Maybe a shuttle pass to Gute.
This is based on nothing but pure speculation on my part.

Rogue
10/1/2006, 07:40 PM
And the return of defensive pressure.
Has anyone seen the blii-iiitzzz?

stoops the eternal pimp
10/1/2006, 08:11 PM
i foresee a lot of gettting AD on the edge

goingoneight
10/1/2006, 08:24 PM
I forsee Texas cheating up on AD like everyone else does until we wear them out down the field like we have everyone else. If we don't keep them honest throwing the ball, they have an advantage. AD is great, but he ain't gonna be superman with a weak line and seven or more guys focused in on him the whole game. That's how injuries and turnovers happen. I like what Bob said about AD being a great RB, but also being a great decoy for the passing game or for other type of running downs... I took it as sort of a "hint."

Widescreen
10/1/2006, 08:27 PM
Not sure about us but I'm sure UT's plan involves a lot of clapping and spitting.

sooneron
10/1/2006, 08:30 PM
I would also like to see AD NOT returning kicks.

soonercody
10/1/2006, 08:31 PM
:D :D
Not sure about us but I'm sure UT's plan involves a lot of clapping and spitting.
:D :D

Heh! I agree with Ron too, no use getting AD hurt on special teams.

westcoast_sooner
10/1/2006, 08:35 PM
I'm thinking AD is not going to find a consistent place to find his yards. Sometimes, it will be up the middle, sometimes on the edge. They have a good D-Line, but their LBs aren't so good.

I still say that AD has a big day - keep feeding him the rock, and use play action to keep the defense honest.

The wrinkles will be handing it to the FB, and throwing to the TE. I say Reggie has his coming out party.

MextheBulldog
10/1/2006, 09:11 PM
Ohio State set the blueprint. Expect lots of AD and lots of medium to deep throws. Kelly has a monster day. Wrinkle? That onside kick Auburn pulled off against South Carolina was a beauty....that could work....

birddog
10/1/2006, 09:13 PM
We're a 5(1/2) point dog.

http://www.madduxsports.com/college-football-lines.php#combo
i remember last week you said the line would be atleast 9. good thing you don't set lines in vegas, huh?;)

Tulsa_Fireman
10/1/2006, 09:17 PM
I'm with you guys. Give me some steady, solid stickin' on defense, and I'm happier than a pig in sheet.

Other than that, I'd love to see some of those tiered receiver routes KW's been settin' up, but in flood to the roll side off playaction. Get safeties honest and maybe even catch one comin' up. I can see it now...

TOUCHDOWN, OKLAHOMA!

Hooooo, baby.

BIG_IKE
10/1/2006, 09:25 PM
I forsee Texas cheating up on AD like everyone else does until we wear them out down the field like we have everyone else. If we don't keep them honest throwing the ball, they have an advantage. AD is great, but he ain't gonna be superman with a weak line and seven or more guys focused in on him the whole game. That's how injuries and turnovers happen. I like what Bob said about AD being a great RB, but also being a great decoy for the passing game or for other type of running downs... I took it as sort of a "hint."

True....we are NOT gonna beat them by simply running the ball.
We will have to do both. I also would not bank on wearing them down. We need to bank on kicking their @$$, and early. They have way too much depth in the front 7 for us to expect them to be spent in the 4th quarter. they rotate about 6 guys at LB (Killebrew, Bobino, Kindle, Kelson, Muckelroy and Derry), plus their DL of Okam,Lokey, Crowder, Robison, Orakpo...they are deep up front. We need to have ENA picking them apart and AD hitting them with a run every so often.

As crazy as it may sound...I say we give AD less carries this game, and Joe Jon & Joaquin more passes, and Kelly about what he usually gets, with PT running some and we win.

Defense is another thing....we just need to be half of what everyone hyped our defense up to be in the pre-season and we will be fine.

birddog
10/1/2006, 09:25 PM
getting pt outside the pocket has been pretty good for us. when he has space he makes pretty good decisions. i think we'll see him roll out quite a bit.

Ike
10/1/2006, 09:49 PM
fake FG or punt...

1991SOONER
10/1/2006, 09:54 PM
If we can control their running game, execute, and minimize turnovers, I believe we'll have it. :)

GottaHavePride
10/1/2006, 10:03 PM
you do realize that Mack has beaten Bob w/out VY right?

Once. When our guys were still sucking wind in the second half because they were out of shape. And even then I seem to remember us stomping them in the first half. ;)

I like our chances this weekend.

Octavian
10/1/2006, 10:30 PM
Once. When our guys were still sucking wind in the second half because they were out of shape. And even then I seem to remember us stomping them in the first half. ;)

good point.

don't get me wrong...Bob's a better football coach than Mack.

I don't think there's too many people outside of the Texas fanbase that'd dispute that....it's not as if the NFL is (or will ever) be knockin' on Mack's door.

I wish there was some way we could sign Bob to a lifetime contract ala Duke and Coach K.

Mack's a good guy and great CEO at a place w/ incredible resources...but he is not Bob's equal as a football mind, motivator, or leader of young men.

But we're gonna have to be inventive and maybe a little lucky this weekend b/c Texas is better on the lines on both sides of the ball...or has been up to this point in the season.

I can see why we're the underdog...if you're one who thinks that games are won and lost in the trenches, it doesn't bode well for us.

But this is the RRS...throw the records and expectations out...we all know that anything can happen in this game.

And we have Bob, the best running back in America, and a quarterback whose playing better than even the most optimistic among us could've predicted...

It has the potential to be the best game of the Stoops-Brown series...

Should be fun :D

GottaHavePride
10/1/2006, 10:37 PM
Heck yeah. I can't wait for the game.

birddog
10/1/2006, 10:54 PM
don't get me started just yet, lads. my blood pressure doesn't usually shoot up until an hour before kick off.
but you're right, this could be a helluva game if our d plays well.

Ash
10/1/2006, 11:08 PM
don't get me started just yet, lads. my blood pressure doesn't usually shoot up until an hour before kick off.
but you're right, this could be a helluva game if our d plays well.

This is the "new wrinkle" I'm hoping will happen.

ouwasp
10/1/2006, 11:23 PM
On O: Gresham's coming out party; he's split out like Alexander was on occasion.

On D: :confused: Who knows. Sure tackling would be a nice "twist". Some freshman having a redshirt burned at the Texas game, could that be it? Can the DL please make it's presence known?

Fraggle145
10/2/2006, 02:03 AM
I hope the new wrinkle is the same one we have seen the last two games... a positive turnover margin. We all know that there are usually 3-6 turnovers in this game with many coming in the 1st half. basically we win the turnover battle I think we win the game since our O can make them pay. It will also be excellent in smashing The reincarnation of Chris Simms' confidence with a couple of early picks (see Reggie Smith).

Also did anyone notice how few penalties there were in the MTSU game? just 2-10 yds for both teams. Just a side note I thought was interesting.

Widescreen
10/2/2006, 08:12 AM
I wish there was some way we could sign Bob to a lifetime contract ala Duke and Coach K.
I'm not a fan of lifetime contracts. I think it can make a coach less hungry. Plus, any contract really favors the coaches - not the school.

But we're gonna have to be inventive and maybe a little lucky this weekend b/c Texas is better on the lines on both sides of the ball...or has been up to this point in the season.
Totally agree. This is why offensively I think PT rolls out A LOT. Which I wouldn't like ordinarily but he seems to actually throw better rolling to his right. Should be interesting.

swardboy
10/2/2006, 08:21 AM
Also did anyone notice how few penalties there were in the MTSU game? just 2-10 yds for both teams. Just a side note I thought was interesting.

Actually, that had escaped my notice. Thanks for pointing it out! Maybe it's a sign of some quick maturing happening....

caphorns
10/2/2006, 09:03 AM

Hey wait. We weren't lifting weights then.

FaninAma
10/2/2006, 09:15 AM
The point spread opened at 8 then went to 6.5, now it is 5 in some places. That's a lot of movement and it would seem to indicate that there is some "inside" information out there that isn't available to the general public.

william_brasky
10/2/2006, 09:15 AM
Statue of Liberty.

Used to get 'em on the playground everytime.

BermudaSooner
10/2/2006, 09:36 AM
shovel pass. With PT and AD rolling out looking like an option play, shovel pass to Reggie on a reverse.

I'm also hoping we add the wrap them up tackle as our defensive wrinkle.

Luthor
10/2/2006, 09:48 AM
Uh, let's see. How about Peterson sets up 9 yds deep in the back field, PT takes the snap and hands off to Peterson who heads for a corner about 53 times. Throw in 3 QB draws and a tunnel screen and there you have it.

On the D side Stoops puts everybody wearing a red helmet in the box.

birddog
10/2/2006, 09:55 AM
The point spread opened at 8 then went to 6.5, now it is 5 in some places. That's a lot of movement and it would seem to indicate that there is some "inside" information out there that isn't available to the general public.
i haven't seen any site that has their lines up yet. usually they wait til monday. and i definitely don't think the lines have been up long enough for such a big shift in the spread.:confused:
what kind of inside info. could make the line move that much?

JohnnyMack
10/2/2006, 09:59 AM
Our D tipped its hand against MTSU. Had to. Had to work the zone blitz into some game speed situations. Our hopes are pinned to being able to confuse young Mr. McCoy.

Offensively, we'll be fine. They load up, we've got plenty of talent at WR & TE to exploit Saxet's overrated secondary. They lay off and AD will control the day.

FaninAma
10/2/2006, 10:11 AM
i haven't seen any site that has their lines up yet. usually they wait til monday. and i definitely don't think the lines have been up long enough for such a big shift in the spread.:confused:
what kind of inside info. could make the line move that much?

I've only seen one source that had it listed as +8. I saw multiple sources listing it as +6.5 yesterday and I've seen multiple sources now listing it at +5.5 to +5.

Maybe it's an abheration due to the fact the the people who set the lines don't have any better feel for the game than the fans do at this point.

KingDavid
10/2/2006, 10:57 AM
Some predictions:

1) Trick play #1: Either AD or Manuel Johnson will through a pass.
2) Trick play #2: Flea-flicker a distinct possibility.
3) Offensive wrinkles/emphases: 5 Wide with height on the edges, possibly Gresham & Finley at the same time. Will open lanes for QB draws and slip screens underneath.
4) Slip-screens & misdirection slip-screens
5) There will be at least one "pure coaching" wrinkle, my prediction is it will be at the line of scrimmage - quick snap; hard count; something like that. To give us a first down, a penalty first down, or just to get them to burn a time-out or two early. Everything matters.

The first half of the game will hinge on whether we can make them pay for heavy blitz packages designed to rattle line/PT. On the other side of the ball, it's the basics. We have to rattle Colt early. Get him on the ground early and often. Get an early pick. We canNOT give up the deep ball. We must wrap up.

This game will be the closest in a long time. It could come down to one turnover or one Special Teams play. Or a coaching differentiator.

If we have them down, I anticipate we'll see Snead at the end of the game . . . and that we'll have to endure and end-of-game surge like we saw last year from Steven McGee. I would not be surprised to see us knock McCoy out of the game, in fact.

If we make it to the half within 6 points, we win on QB maturity/experience and AD's strength. Half-time momentum will be a big deal.

My earlier prediction stands:

OU - 28
TX - 27

Pepper
10/2/2006, 11:25 PM
Flea Flicker

Ike
10/3/2006, 12:38 AM
Fullback runs.

TrophyCollector
10/3/2006, 12:42 AM
And the return of defensive pressure.
Has anyone seen the blii-iiitzzz?

Yes, way, way too much of it in the first 3 games in fact.

KingDavid
10/3/2006, 12:50 AM
Fullback runs.

Interesting thought . . . but I doubt it. With so few carries and such little experience, I doubt they'd risk this too much. Fresh hands fumble much.

TrophyCollector
10/3/2006, 12:53 AM
Our D tipped its hand against MTSU. Had to. Had to work the zone blitz into some game speed situations. Our hopes are pinned to being able to confuse young Mr. McCoy.

Good observation, I was finally glad to see a DE drop back into coverage again. Our defense is best when we can drop 7 into coverage while sending a safety and/or a LB - leaving the other team's o-line with their thumbs in their arse and their QB with his face in the dirt. This is a very good strategy against teams with good OL, just ****ing run around them with smaller, faster guys. Look for Birdine to be playing some stand-up DE on passing downs. Also leads to lots of balls getting floated up for grabs.

KingDavid
10/3/2006, 01:06 AM

Offensively, we'll be fine. They load up, we've got plenty of talent at WR & TE to exploit Saxet's overrated secondary. They lay off and AD will control the day.

I'm pretty sure Texas would be expecting a lot of zone blitz from us anyway. The disguise is what matters . . . and young Colt will not be able to recognize it on the field until it's too late.

Desert Sapper
10/3/2006, 01:18 AM
I'm just hoping to see some semblance of a defense this game. MTSU doesn't really count for a defensive performance. Other than that, we have been total s*** on D. If we magically make a defensive leap (in wrapping up, flow to the ball, and being in position and broken down at the point of attack) in the week we have had off coming into Dallas, I'll be very happy. I want to see something that reminds me of a Sooner D. Constant pressure (from the front four) on the QB, stiff run D, turnovers. It all comes down to D-Line play when saxet has the ball. I think OUr O can hold its own.

mrowl
10/3/2006, 07:11 AM
not a wrinkle by OU, but I fully expect to see Snead play.

Either the 2 headed monster at QB for texass, or just because colt is failing.

Widescreen
10/3/2006, 09:17 AM
Actually, playing Mccoy for 1 quarter and then bringing in Snead would be Texas' best strategy. We tend to really suck against backup QB's.

caphorns
10/3/2006, 09:39 AM
not a wrinkle by OU, but I fully expect to see Snead play.

Either the 2 headed monster at QB for texass, or just because colt if failing.

Very, very doubtful unless it is in mop up duty in the 4th. Snead makes too many mistakes. He nearly fumbled one in the SHSU despite showing a serious cannon downfield. I'd prefer we start Snead and live with the mistakes. But this is Mack and Greg's team and Colt is consistantly accurate (in the horizontal passing game).

colleyvillesooner
10/3/2006, 09:49 AM
Mop up duty. Good one.

The Maestro
10/3/2006, 10:30 AM
I remember when Chrissy came in for mop up duty in 2000.

In the 2nd quarter!!!

Dr. Jelly Finger
10/3/2006, 11:11 AM
I would personally like to see 2 things.

1. If we are going to run play action with AD, at least make an effort to present the fake instead of sticking the ball out in the air 3 feet from your running back.

2. PT needs to run the ball more often. I see some qb draws and naked bootlegs coming on Saturday and I am optimistic that they will be very effective to slow down the pass rush.

KingDavid
10/3/2006, 11:39 AM
I would personally like to see 2 things.

1. If we are going to run play action with AD, at least make an effort to present the fake instead of sticking the ball out in the air 3 feet from your running back.

2. PT needs to run the ball more often. I see some qb draws and naked bootlegs coming on Saturday and I am optimistic that they will be very effective to slow down the pass rush.

Not sure about the naked boot . . . maybe once on a short yardage play. But everything else you said is money.

KingDavid
10/3/2006, 11:40 AM
young Colt will not be able to recognize it on the field until it's too late.

I hope this statement doesn't come back to bite me in the arse. He makes good decisions. We need to rattle his cage quickly.

caphorns
10/3/2006, 11:51 AM
I hope this statement doesn't come back to bite me in the arse. He makes good decisions. We need to rattle his cage quickly.

Lets not take this too far. Colt has been asked to make one read maybe two at the most. He's still managed to throw into double coverage and get bailed out on more than one occasion.

Dr. Jelly Finger
10/3/2006, 11:55 AM
Not sure about the naked boot . . . maybe once on a short yardage play. But everything else you said is money.

I guess it all ties in to whether we can make the play fake believable or not. If we can get the DE to cave inside PT should have the speed to get to the edge. Not a bad idea to have a couple of options to throw as well.

As a side note, I noticed that many UT fans think that PT is inaccurate on the short pass. Maybe I am missing something, but ENA seems to be very accurate on these routes.

I would venture a guess that we could win this game on these short to intermediate passes alone with a solid running attack from AD and the O-line.

KingDavid
10/3/2006, 11:55 AM
Lets not take this too far. Colt has been asked to make one read maybe two at the most. He's still managed to throw into double coverage and get bailed out on more than one occasion.

Perhaps it's true. But I suffer from Gardere-a-phobia.

KingDavid
10/3/2006, 11:57 AM
I guess it all ties in to whether we can make the play fake believable or not. If we can get the DE to cave inside PT should have the speed to get to the edge. Not a bad idea to have a couple of options to throw as well.

As a side note, I noticed that many UT fans think that PT is inaccurate on the short pass. Maybe I am missing something, but ENA seems to be very accurate on these routes.

I would venture a guess that we could win this game on these short to intermediate passes alone with a solid running attack from AD and the O-line.

Man. Can't they just line it up and play tonight!!!!!!!!!?????!!!! I'm going nuts. Can't get jack-squat done.

T_Boner
10/3/2006, 04:30 PM
sneak Tommy Harris back in there wearing Carl Pendleton's number

sooneronloan
10/3/2006, 04:32 PM
Have we forgotton about Reggie Smith as a wide reciever. What a weapon in an open field.

KingDavid
10/3/2006, 04:34 PM
sneak Tommy Harris back in there wearing Carl Pendleton's number

now there's a wrinkle!!! Maybe we could slip TRRW back in at SS and put Reggie Smith back on the corner, too.

that's what I'm talkin' 'bout.

but . . . I'm going to predict that Nic Harris &/or Reggie Smith going to show up this week in a way that will remind us of TRRW. And Birdine will give us a play-maker on the line - it's time for him to make a statement that he's back and ready to dominate Big XII play . . .

We don't need to cling to the past!

soonerboy_odanorth
10/3/2006, 06:07 PM
I know I'm late to the party, but playing "if I were the coach" there are three things I would attempt:

1) Run a modified "Oklahoma" defense... the 5-2. NoseT and two DT's...Nose plays base/read, we rotate DT's every series and tell them the QB is their one and only assignment...try to generate pressure with those two every play w no biting on the play-action.... the DE positions would be manned by the larger DE's like Birdine on the strongside, and one of our fastest l'backers on the weakside, strongside plays sweep/option contain, weakside plays reverse contain and the flats and works in stunts/blitzes with the weakside lb (Ru), weakside DT, and short side corner, mike lb plays the between the tackles run game, strong safety draws TE/underneath duty and wideside corner hops on the #1 WR, weakside lb and free safety roam...

Summary: the whole idea is to get beefier up front and apply some interior line pressure on the qb and disrupt plays in their backfield before they get the opportunity to run downhill on us. Texas might not be prepared for us to step out of a read and react game into a penetration game.

2) Gotta run some spread option. Really haven't seen that at all with Paul yet this year.

3) Simple. Coach AD that "this is it", probably last shot at Texas. No more heading for the sideline when he gets to the corners. When he gets to a corner there have been ample opportunities for him to cut it back for another 1-2-3 yards. But I'm guessing he has been coached to preserve his body and take advantage of the sidelines to this point. But now I think the gloves need to come off. First of all, every yard counts in this game. But also, this would contribute to shortening the game helping to keep our DT's fresh and fewer opportunities for Texas's playmakers.

picasso
10/3/2006, 09:05 PM
is Demarco Murray still injured? we wouldn't put him in would we?:cool:

horninokc
10/3/2006, 09:42 PM
I've only seen one source that had it listed as +8. I saw multiple sources listing it as +6.5 yesterday and I've seen multiple sources now listing it at +5.5 to +5.

Maybe it's an abheration due to the fact the the people who set the lines don't have any better feel for the game than the fans do at this point.

Contrary to what most fans think, the "line" is totally set to balance the amount of money coming in on each side. If more money comes in on Texas, the line goes down. If OU gets a lot of supporters ponying up, the line goes back up. It is all money. The Vegas boys could give a S%&t who wins or who is supposed to.

The market place is picking the winners and margins.

bixby28
10/3/2006, 10:24 PM
I'd like to see an OU-texass game this year without Matthew McConnaughy on the t.v. He's the most ridiculous fan a team could have.