PDA

View Full Version : Which Sooner has been the most

85Sooner
10/1/2006, 12:24 PM
successful in the NFL in history? Any thoughts?

I don't really count Troy.

King Crimson
10/1/2006, 12:25 PM
I'd guess Lee Roy.

85Sooner
10/1/2006, 01:02 PM
Wow there have been so many good players at OU you would think there would be several NFL allstars.

GottaHavePride
10/1/2006, 01:03 PM
Wait ten years and we may be saying Roy Williams, Tommie Harris, or Jamaal Brown. ;)

Rogue
10/1/2006, 01:19 PM
If you don't count Aikman then Lee Roy Selmon is probably the most successful so far.

sooneron
10/1/2006, 01:19 PM
Yeah Tommy McDonald, thus far. Although, Pruitt and Washington had good careers.

PDXsooner
10/1/2006, 01:21 PM
billy sims and keith jackson both had good careers. as did tony casillas.

adrian peterson could end up being the best.

Readyfor8
10/1/2006, 01:22 PM
Stokar McDougal, and Kelly Gregg are probably our best current success stories, and may be some of our best longevity players that I can remember in the NFL.

Especially considering the two coaches Gregg played under for him to still be starting on the best defense in the NFL (maybe) is a nice accomplishment.

King Crimson
10/1/2006, 01:23 PM
Lee Roy is in the NFL HOF.

85Sooner
10/1/2006, 01:46 PM
What, was it that we didn't recruit the types of players that would be able to adapt to the NFL. I realize we have a couple running backs that did okay but we had some damn fine running backs through the years. KJ did well. forgot about him. Cassias. Interesting that the line men did well.

Readyfor8
10/1/2006, 02:29 PM
Alot of "skill" position players go to mid major schools, they stand less of a chance to get injured playing against weaker opponents. The MAC has the most starting QB's in the NFL as a conference currently because Chrissy Sims is out for Tampa Bay.

Ladanian Tomlinson (TCU), Terrell Owens (Chatanooga), Alex Smith (Utah)... If you aren't really interested in the Heisman, and are playing a skill position where you are going to get press no matter what, why would you go to a school that plays 3-4 really tough defenses every year. OLinemen and Defensive players need press to get in the NFL, not so much with skill position players.

GottaHavePride
10/1/2006, 03:14 PM
What, was it that we didn't recruit the types of players that would be able to adapt to the NFL. I realize we have a couple running backs that did okay but we had some damn fine running backs through the years. KJ did well. forgot about him. Cassias. Interesting that the line men did well.
We had great teams, but we were an option team long after that type of offense went out of style in the NFL. Which means running backs and linemen were about all we wound up sending to the NFL until recently. [/broad generalization]

stoopified
10/1/2006, 03:21 PM
I agree Harris and Roy could be HOF caliber players IF they stay healthy.That would also hold true IMHO for past players such as Sims,Washinton if they had stayed healthy.Sims retired after 4 seasons because of injuries and Washington was hampered by injury during his ten year career,Joe had at least a couple of healthy seasons in which he had almost 1000 yard seasons and a considerable number of recptions per season.Personally I can't help wondering,what IF? We have also had a considerable number of players who are so injury plagued we have no idea how good they could have been.Steve Owens,Brian Bosworth,Trent Smith,Q are among those. Other players could have put up HOF career numbers if they had played longer ,Keith Jackson,Tony Casillas are two that come to mind.Keith retired when he could have played a few more seasons to build his numbers,Tony retired due to both physical and emotional issues. Whatever the reasons it does seem odd that such a great program does not have more NFL HOF members.

King Crimson
10/1/2006, 03:34 PM
We had great teams, but we were an option team long after that type of offense went out of style in the NFL. Which means running backs and linemen were about all we wound up sending to the NFL until recently. [/broad generalization]

even "linemen" is qualified: not a lot of NFL teams pulled guards like we did in the bone. that was a highly specific skillset for a guy to have. get out ahead of the play and knock a lateral moving LB on his ***.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/1/2006, 04:07 PM
William Bartee has stuck around for a while

goingoneight
10/1/2006, 07:38 PM
Adrian Peterson. :cool:

tulsaoilerfan
10/1/2006, 09:22 PM
If you use the HOF as the ultimate judging standard, then Lee Roy and Tommy McDonald would be the 2 best by far; after that i would say Little Joe, Greg Pruitt, Clendon Thomas, Derland Moore, Keith Jackson, Uwe and several others had successful and lengthy NFL careers; we've sent several guys to the NFL that have had good careers by any standard

Taxman71
10/2/2006, 06:51 AM
Kenny King maybe had the most memorable NFL play by a Sooner, 80 yard TD in the Super Bowl for the Raiders. (1981?)

wishbonesooner
10/2/2006, 09:19 AM
Steve Zabel played several seasons for the Eagles.

KingDavid
10/2/2006, 10:36 AM
1. Selman
2. Tommy McDonald
3. Billy Sims
4. Little Joe
5. Pruitt
6. Keith Jackson
7. TRRW - you can already put him on the list

Lots to come:
- Harris
- Jamaal
- Lehman
- Clayton will be a pro-bowl player, IMO
- Others . . . (certainly Peterson)

TheGodfather889
10/2/2006, 11:24 AM
Adrian Peterson may turn out to be the best in the NFL with the talent he has. But for now: I would say Lee Roy Selmon. Then you would probably go with Tommy McDonald. Billy Sims would've had a great career had it not be for injuries. Keith Jackson was good. Joe Washington was good. I think Roy Williams will have a Hall of Fame worthy career. Mark Clayton will too since I think he'll be a great player. Jammal Brown could. Tommie Harris has a great shot now if he can keep up what he's doing now.