PDA

View Full Version : Didja see Summer Sanders' TOP TEN COLLEGE FOOTBALL RIVALRIES?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/1/2006, 11:32 AM
Saturday night on one of the ESPN'S. They ranked OU-Nebbish higher than OU-TX, and tOSU-Mich. as #1.

ClintonSooner
10/1/2006, 11:34 AM
linky?

Flagstaffsooner
10/1/2006, 11:40 AM
I saw it on Fox Sports. Dumbest thing I ever watched.

Indy Sooner
10/1/2006, 11:42 AM
linky?

http://vizu.typepad.com/.shared/image.html?/photos/uncategorized/summer_sanders_poolside.jpg

Frozen Sooner
10/1/2006, 11:44 AM
Just goes to show that as a sportscaster, she's a heck of a swimmer.

10/1/2006, 11:47 AM
I saw it on Fox Sports. Dumbest thing I ever watched.Well, that's ONE of the ESPN's!

ClintonSooner
10/1/2006, 11:49 AM
she knows nothing about fb, she just says what they tell her to

bri
10/1/2006, 11:50 AM
Just goes to show that as a sportscaster, she's a heck of a swimmer.

Just goes to show that the Fox Sports people have no actual understanding of college sports...and that Summer Sanders is smoking hot and just stands in front of the camera and says whatever the words on the cue card tell her to. :D

Also, just goes to show that instead of a top 10 on ESPN, it's actually a top 5 on FSN. But who's counting? :D

10/1/2006, 11:54 AM
Also, just goes to show that instead of a top 10 on ESPN, it's actually a top 5 on FSN. But who's counting? :D'samatter your info? I saw ten rivalries on the show.(if you count # 3-domer vs. everyone)

sooneron
10/1/2006, 12:09 PM
The best part was when they said that OU-nu 1989 was Game of the Century part 2!- Uh, that was 87, which we won. We already had 3 LOSSES going into 89 nu game. Then, she goes on to say how F Solich learned the hard way that you shouldn't lose to OU at home! We never beat Frank at home- great research team there Fox. Of course, nothing about that statement should be shocking.

10/1/2006, 12:11 PM
I'm still wandering how they put OU-Nebbish above OU-whorns!!!

Flagstaffsooner
10/1/2006, 12:16 PM
(if you count # 3-domer vs. everyone)That made me want to go wipe my butt again.

GottaHavePride
10/1/2006, 12:34 PM
I'm still wandering how they put OU-Nebbish above OU-whorns!!!

Because before the formation of the Big XII it WAS bigger. OU-TX was a hate-hate relationship, but nearly every time OU-NU came around there was a championship of some sort on the line.

Then the North/South Big XII split screwed it all up.

sooneron
10/1/2006, 12:41 PM
Because before the formation of the Big XII it WAS bigger. OU-TX was a hate-hate relationship, but nearly every time OU-NU came around there was a championship of some sort on the line.

Then the North/South Big XII split screwed it all up.
I prefer to think that they went with OU/Nu , due to poor research. There were a lot championships on the line before the B12 with us and texass- National championships. We prolly kept Darrel from getting 2 more MNC's alone. They can say the same about us.
I believe that program was produced in 04, btw.

10/1/2006, 01:30 PM

Then the North/South Big XII split screwed it all up.How old are you? The OU-tx game has always been a MONSTER rivalry. It most certainly was in the days of Bud Wilkinson, vs whoever was coach at tx before Darrell Royal, and while Royal was there. Nebbish was a dormant power until Devaney brought them into prominence.

DrZaius
10/1/2006, 01:55 PM
How old are you? The OU-tx game has always been a MONSTER rivalry. It most certainly was in the days of Bud Wilkinson, vs whoever was coach at tx before Darrell Royal, and while Royal was there. Nebbish was a dormant power until Devaney brought them into prominence.

But you can not forget that some of the biggest games in the history of College involved us and Nebraska. I mean ones that you never forget.

I do agree that OU/Texas is bigger and I like them better but I don't think that any of the games are as big or well known as some of the classic struggles with Nebraska.

BajaOklahoma
10/1/2006, 02:06 PM
Sorry William. I have to go with GHP on this one. From a long term perspective anyway.
During the Big 8 years, OU/Bugeaters was a greater rivlary. The teams respected each other (used to respect each other) and the game was for all the marbles (Big 8 title and often National ranking).
With the formation of the Big 12 and losing the annual Bugeater game, the RRS has now become The Rivalry game. OU/whorns hate each other with a passion, but the game rarely determined a National Championship until the Big 12 was formed.....

Don't get me wrong, the RRS has always been huge. Just I feel OU/bugeaters was a bit bigger for awhile. And they both should have Top 5.

Statalyzer
10/1/2006, 02:09 PM

So OU-NU was bigger merely b/c OU-TX gets a penalty for being an out of conference game?

Sure, as a Texas fan I'm biased, but even in 1994 and 1995 the Texas-OU game had as much excitement and hate as Texas-NU though Nebraska was easily better than Texas those 2 years.

10/1/2006, 03:11 PM
Sorry William. I have to go with GHP on this one. From a long term perspective anyway.
During the Big 8 years, OU/Bugeaters was a greater rivlary. The teams respected each other (used to respect each other) and the game was for all the marbles (Big 8 title and often National ranking).
With the formation of the Big 12 and losing the annual Bugeater game, the RRS has now become The Rivalry game. OU/whorns hate each other with a passion, but the game rarely determined a National Championship until the Big 12 was formed.....

Don't get me wrong, the RRS has always been huge. Just I feel OU/bugeaters was a bit bigger for awhile. And they both should have Top 5. Look, there have been many years when OU-Neb. wasn't a big game, when OU was vastly better or Nebbish was vastly better. During those yrs., the game wasn't so big. OU-tx IS ALWAYS BIG-BECAUSE OF THE HATE. For God's sakes, THAT'S WHY IT'S SUCH A RIVALRY!
Maybe it should be #2, giving way to tOSU-Mich..

jk the sooner fan
10/1/2006, 03:18 PM
How old are you? The OU-tx game has always been a MONSTER rivalry. It most certainly was in the days of Bud Wilkinson, vs whoever was coach at tx before Darrell Royal, and while Royal was there. Nebbish was a dormant power until Devaney brought them into prominence.

until the formation of the big 12, the ou-texas game was forgotten by the rest of the country after october.....because it had no implications on bowl games and conference championships

and for the record, i'm 42.......and i agree with the OU/nu pick simply because its been a rivalry longer with greater consequence

GottaHavePride
10/1/2006, 03:19 PM
I'm not saying OU/TX isn't big. It's huge. I'm just saying - how many times have OU and Texas played head-to-head with a conference or national championship on the line? I'm thinking that number is significantly higher if OU and NU are the teams in question.

and I'm 26, but my mom's from Oklahoma, and she was born in 1956 - she always talked about OU/Nebraska games, not OU/TX games.

10/1/2006, 03:23 PM
I'm not saying OU/TX isn't big. It's huge. I'm just saying - how many times have OU and Texas played head-to-head with a conference or national championship on the line? I'm thinking that number is significantly higher if OU and NU are the teams in question.

and I'm 26, but my mom's from Oklahoma, and she was born in 1956 - she always talked about OU/Nebraska games, not OU/TX games.Tell your mom she shoulda gone to more OU-tx games-they are unlike any other.

10/1/2006, 03:27 PM
Bud was asked if he had a way of determining how good one of his teams was, or NEEDED to be. He said he always asked himself if the team had what it takes to beat the whorns. If it did, then he thought the team was pretty da#mn good, and he was satisfied.

crimson&cream
10/1/2006, 03:43 PM

and I'm 26, but my mom's from Oklahoma, and she was born in 1956 - she always talked about OU/Nebraska games, not OU/TX games.
If NC's being on the line were the only criterion for a great rivalry game then many listed would be left out as thats just a small part of the picture. Where else when two rivalries play is the stadium divided half and half fans of OU/Tx, with the state fair going on just outside the stadium, and half way between both schools etc etc etc it's the most unigue rivialry in College FB. I challegne you to find a nother rivialry with the same setting. ONe yr OU's the home the next yr Tx is, and is played in a major metro area. Ucla/USuckC doesn't divide the stadium half & half and a state fair outside, nor does Mich& Ohio. find me one rivialry that matches up in all these criterion.:pop: .

crimson&cream
10/1/2006, 03:58 PM
where's the damn link.???

Newbomb Turk
10/1/2006, 04:00 PM
It's a TV show. What do you want a link to?

10/1/2006, 04:07 PM
where's the damn link.???Google it up.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/1/2006, 04:09 PM
SI for Kids also had the OU-NU rivalry ranked as one of the top current rivalries, ahead of OU-UT...obviously the kids writing have been listening to their mommies on that one:D

Newbomb Turk
10/1/2006, 04:12 PM
Google it up.

I tried for a bit, but couldn't find anything. Didn't spend a bunch of time though.

sooneron
10/1/2006, 06:53 PM
Like I said, this was produced two years ago. Links to it on google are going to be BURIED.

Octavian
10/1/2006, 07:03 PM
yeah...it's an old list but I saw it last night too...

#1 Michigan-tOSU
#2 Army-Navy
#3 Notre Dame - everyone
#4 Miami -FSU
#5 OU-Neb
#6 Iron Bowl

can't remember 7 or 8

#9 RRS
#10 USC-UCLA

They also said the Game of the Century II (a 17-7 OU win in 1987 in Lincoln) was a Nebraska victory in Norman in 1989...

then proceeded to say that OU "finally turned the tables" on Nebraska in 2000 in the 3rd #1 vs. #2 game between the two

....and gave no mention of the #1 vs. #2 matchup a year later in '01.

I just shook my head...they actually get paid to make these shows.

But w/ expert guests like "Kid" from House Party lending their .02, what do ya expect?

Octavian
10/1/2006, 07:04 PM
I do think that OU was the only program that made the list twice though...

goingoneight
10/1/2006, 08:14 PM
Fox. Dumbest thing I ever watched.

Sadly, there are still people who are liking college football being on the same channel as NASCAR and MLB.

ABC should have stuck it out, that was the only reason I watched ABC was because of their CFB show the last five or six years, but they seem to want to shoot themselves in the foot and cancel all their good shows and programming.

boomrsoonr
10/1/2006, 09:25 PM
In the grander scheme of things, I'd say I agree with the OU-Neb being bigger than OU-Tx. At least Pre-Big 12 Conference.

Before the advent of the Big 12, the OU-TX rivalry was just a annual border rivalry. Bragging rights and a Governor's BBQ was all that was really at stake. Nebraska was in the Big 8 Conference with us and the winner of that game usually went to the Orange Bowl. A national championship was just a bonus if one of us won it. Our main goal was to be Big 8 Champs and go to the Orange Bowl. Everything else, back then, was out of our hands.

Now, I do agree that since Texas has joined the Big 12 with us, it's become bigger because now we have to beat them in order to get to the Big 12 Championship Game. At least that's how it's played out since we started. And since Nebraska doesn't dominate the North like they should, it's not as big of an issue any more.

birddog
10/1/2006, 09:29 PM
In the grander scheme of things, I'd say I agree with the OU-Neb being bigger than OU-Tx. At least Pre-Big 12 Conference.

Before the advent of the Big 12, the OU-TX rivalry was just a annual border rivalry. Bragging rights and a Governor's BBQ was all that was really at stake. Nebraska was in the Big 8 Conference with us and the winner of that game usually went to the Orange Bowl. A national championship was just a bonus if one of us won it. Our main goal was to be Big 8 Champs and go to the Orange Bowl. Everything else, back then, was out of our hands.

Now, I do agree that since Texas has joined the Big 12 with us, it's become bigger because now we have to beat them in order to get to the Big 12 Championship Game. At least that's how it's played out since we started. And since Nebraska doesn't dominate the North like they should, it's not as big of an issue any more.
i agree. historically, ou-neb has meant more because the winner of the big 8 played in the orange, and was usually in the nc hunt. but now ou-tex usually decides the south/bcs bid. sadly, ou-neb is gone forever. hopefully we'll always have ou-tex.

10/2/2006, 12:28 AM
i agree. historically, ou-neb has meant more because the winner of the big 8 played in the orange, and was usually in the nc hunt. but now ou-tex usually decides the south/bcs bid. sadly, ou-neb is gone forever. hopefully we'll always have ou-tex.Dude, if we don't beat tx, the rest of the games become less important than they would otherwise be. Why, because tx is our biggest rival, and who cares as much about the orange bowl if we can't even win the Southwest Conference, fergodsake.

birddog
10/2/2006, 12:42 AM
i don't see where we are disagreeing?:confused:
texas is our biggest rival now because the winner usually decides the south.
just as the nebraska game used to decide who went to the orange bowl.

10/2/2006, 12:54 AM
i don't see where we are disagreeing?:confused:
texas is our biggest rival now because the winner usually decides the south.
just as the nebraska game used to decide who went to the orange bowl.I'm saying tx victory is the key to our whole season, since we are always shooting to be #1. The whorns are the team we have to beat. If we don't, then the nebbish game wasn't so big(back in the old Big 8 days). The '71, '78, '85, '87 games with nebbish wouldn't have been so monstrous if we hadn't beat tx those years. Winning the Big 12 title isn't quite so special if you don't win all your games and remain eligible for the NC.

10/2/2006, 12:59 AM
I do think that OU was the only program that made the list twice though...So true. I would have liked to have seen them put in domer vs suc, and then mention that suc usually blows domer out. That would have tickled the heck out of me.

birddog
10/2/2006, 01:07 AM
if we beat tx. then lost to nebraska, odds are we wouldn't have won the big 8. atleast if we lost to texass we had a shot at going undefeated in the big 8. but what do i know, i was born in '73 and texass has always been the biggest game for me due to the pure hatred i had for them. like another poster said, there is alot that goes into a rivalry and the setting in the cotton bowl puts it over the top.

10/2/2006, 01:30 AM
During the Wilkinson years, nebbish was just another team to clobber. The whorns were always our biggest hurdle-almost always the tougheat game on the schedule, and the team we had to beat. Neb. didn't get strong til the late '60's, I think. He*l, the neb. game wasn't such a big game for us in the '90's, either, when we had Gibbs, Schnelly and Boo as coaches.

birddog
10/2/2006, 01:44 AM
we've played in the orange bowl in '39,'54,'56,'58,'59,'63,'68,'76,'78,'79,'80,'81,'8 5,'86,'87,'88,'01.

here's the breakdown for the seasons we played in the orange bowl.

*we have lost/tied texass and beat nebraska 5 times.
*we have beaten texass and lost to nebraska 3 times.
*we have lost to nebraska and texass 3 times.
*we have beaten nebraska and texas 6 times.

10/2/2006, 12:46 PM
we've played in the orange bowl in '39,'54,'56,'58,'59,'63,'68,'76,'78,'79,'80,'81,'8 5,'86,'87,'88,'01.

here's the breakdown for the seasons we played in the orange bowl.

*we have lost/tied texass and beat nebraska 5 times.
*we have beaten texass and lost to nebraska 3 times.
*we have lost to nebraska and texass 3 times.
*we have beaten nebraska and texas 6 times.Nice stats! You going to the RRS this weekend? I predict OU 20 tx 17.

DrZaius
10/2/2006, 02:45 PM
Did you know that SAn Diego is german for a Whales Vagina?

10/2/2006, 02:49 PM
Did you know that SAn Diego is german for a Whales Vagina?As in Holiday Bowl?