PDA

View Full Version : Titans Throw In The Towel

Rogue
10/1/2006, 08:08 AM
Winless, they name VY as the starter this week against the Cowboys.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2608713

Looks like they are trying to get in on the AD sweepstakes.

Mjcpr
10/1/2006, 09:57 AM
Please try to make him a pocket passer.....please try to make him a pocket passer....

AllAboutThe'O'
10/1/2006, 04:49 PM
Well, with the Titans losing and the Texans winning, the Titans are ahead in the "Chase for AD." But since both teams are in the same division, we'll get to see them go head-to-head in not one but two "Chase for AD" Bowls.

AustinTXHorn
10/1/2006, 06:57 PM
I thought Young was pretty good until they got behind big and Young was forced to throw the ball on every down. The first half was solid.

You can tell that he's still not used to the quickness of the NFL defenses. He was a little hesitant to take off running even when he had some room.

Rogue
10/1/2006, 07:19 PM
True, he looked decent in the first half. 4th quarter...not so much with the fumbling and throwing it to the Cowboys.

Jackal
10/1/2006, 07:25 PM
Roy Williams was tattooing people, I was hoping he would give Young one.

Mjcpr
10/2/2006, 07:47 AM
True, he looked decent in the first half. 4th quarter...not so much with the fumbling and throwing it to the Cowboys.

Thus the name......Fumbles McScramble

Rogue
10/10/2006, 07:23 PM
Gooooo Titans! I'd love to see AD go to Nashville!

Rogue
11/5/2006, 03:43 PM
4th quarter, Titans down 0-37 to Jacksonville.
VY is 12/31 for 117 yards, 0 TDs and 3 INTs. Radio is awful.

AustinTXHorn
11/5/2006, 04:02 PM
Matt Leinart was 14/35 for 157 yards, 1 TD and 1 INT against Green Bay.

They're rookie quarterbacks. I think it's a little early to be calling anyone "awful".

GottaHavePride
11/5/2006, 05:50 PM
Heh, out of 7 games played, Vince has thrown more INTs than TDs 4 times. That's not good.

Rogue
11/5/2006, 06:32 PM
He got a mop up TD.
V. Young 15/36 163 1 TD 3 INT

Probably last week's stats, but you get the idea:
54/114, 599 yards, 4 TDs 4 INTs
Rushing: 25 for 123 and 2 TDs.

Don't get me wrong, VY was a GREAT college QB. Like many of those that I considered GREAT (Heupel, White, Applewhite, Ryan Leaf) he is a complete and utter bust in the NFL. The others weren't so predictable, but everyone outside of Austin, TX and Steve McNair could see this coming a mile away.

Feel free to defend him now because if you wait until I'm wrong you won't get a chance.

colleyvillesooner
11/6/2006, 11:35 AM
He got a mop up TD.
V. Young 15/36 163 1 TD 3 INT

Probably last week's stats, but you get the idea:
54/114, 599 yards, 4 TDs 4 INTs
Rushing: 25 for 123 and 2 TDs.

Don't get me wrong, VY was a GREAT college QB. Like many of those that I considered GREAT (Heupel, White, Applewhite, Ryan Leaf) he is a complete and utter bust in the NFL. The others weren't so predictable, but everyone outside of Austin, TX and Steve McNair could see this coming a mile away.

Feel free to defend him now because if you wait until I'm wrong you won't get a chance.

Updated stats:
69/150 (46%), 762 yards, 5 TD's, 7 INT's
Rushing: 29 for 137 and 2 TD's (he does have the highest YPC on the team) :D

BeetDigger
11/6/2006, 11:47 AM
Saw a rumor that Fisher is a possible replacement for Parcells or Gibbs next year. Of course, Bud Adams is going to have none of that he says. Dallas would be lucky to have Fisher (assuming Tuna leaves after this year). I just don't know if Fisher could co-exist with Jones.

colleyvillesooner
11/6/2006, 12:03 PM
Saw a rumor that Fisher is a possible replacement for Parcells or Gibbs next year. Of course, Bud Adams is going to have none of that he says. Dallas would be lucky to have Fisher (assuming Tuna leaves after this year). I just don't know if Fisher could co-exist with Jones.

That rumor is EVERYWHERE. Lots of people are saying the job is all but Fishers if he wants it.

BeetDigger
11/6/2006, 12:26 PM
That rumor is EVERYWHERE. Lots of people are saying the job is all but Fishers if he wants it.

I just saw it so I guess I must not be paying much attention. :O

Too early to really discuss this, what with eight more games to play along with any playoff games that the Cowboys muster. We can table this topic for now and discuss it at a later date. And I need to get into the flow a little better I guess. :twinkies:

colleyvillesooner
11/6/2006, 12:30 PM
I just saw it so I guess I must not be paying much attention. :O

Too early to really discuss this, what with eight more games to play along with any playoff games that the Cowboys muster. We can table this topic for now and discuss it at a later date. And I need to get into the flow a little better I guess. :twinkies:

Oh, no that's not what I was getting at, that you should have known that. I meant that it is coming from multiple sources, and ALOT of people are talking about, not just a "one guy in an article" kind of rumor.

mrowl
11/6/2006, 01:17 PM

wow. Had no idea. Wasn't it Fisher who wanted nothing to do with VY?

BeetDigger
11/6/2006, 01:44 PM
Oh, no that's not what I was getting at, that you should have known that. I meant that it is coming from multiple sources, and ALOT of people are talking about, not just a "one guy in an article" kind of rumor.

I know you weren't implying anything negative. I just saw a reference to the rumor today and haven't heard anything prior. I don't watch any of the pre-game NFL shows nor the NFL network and such so I am not keeping up much on the details of what is going on.

I think that Peter King made reference to it today in his MMQB about Fisher being Jones dream choice to take over if Parcells leaves. If that were to happen along with Jones relinquishing his GM title and hiring a real GM (fat chance) then I think that the Cowboys would be on the right track.

I am not sure which is a bigger soap opera at the moment, the Parcells-Jones-Owens triumverate or Snyder-Gibbs and his twenty-five assistant head coaches.

BeetDigger
11/6/2006, 01:47 PM
wow. Had no idea. Wasn't it Fisher who wanted nothing to do with VY?

I think Fisher wanted Leinhart or Cutler. I think he perferred Leinhart but liked Cutler a lot (Fisher's thumbs up was the reason that Shannahan drafted Cutler) and the fact that Cutler was sort of the home town boy.

BeetDigger
11/6/2006, 01:49 PM
Here's the quote from Peter King:

9. I think Jerry Jones won't have Butch Davis on his short list when Bill Parcells steps down, whenever that is. Looks like Davis can have the North Carolina job this week if he really wants it, and it also looks like he'd only be a fallback guy for Jerry if the men of his dreams -- Jeff Fisher and Mike Holmgren -- are not available. I agree with Chris Mortensen's report on Sunday about Fisher being in Jones' sights, and I'll take it one step further: it's been this way for over a year. Not that Jerry's trying to push Parcells out the door. But Jones wouldn't mind having a younger guy with a presence in a locker room and who can work well with a strong ownership group. (In other words, he thinks Fisher can have stuff crammed down his throat every so often, which for $5 million a year and no threat to his day-to-day control of the team Fisher can handle.) This is the last year of Fisher's contract in Tennessee, and the way it's going, my guess is owner Bud Adams won't want to pay Fisher, 11-29 since the start of the 2004 season, $4.5 million a year, or whatever it'll take to keep him.

mrowl
11/6/2006, 04:46 PM
yep, last year for Jeff.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/TEN/6448968

Fisher's contract extended through 2006

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (June 25, 2003) -- Winning eases everything.

Titans owner Bud Adams was frustrated after a 1-4 start last year, but a turnaround that took Tennessee to the AFC Championship Game made him happy enough to extend Jeff Fisher's contract through the 2006 season.

Fisher said he and Adams have reached an agreement, but are still working out some small details.

Terms were not disclosed, but the deal reportedly will put Fisher among the NFL's highest-paid coaches. Washington's Steve Spurrier and Detroit's Steve Mariucci currently lead the league in that area.

Fisher and Adams started talking about a new contract when the season ended. Fisher said they both wanted to avoid some of the problems they had during the last contract negotiations, which were not finalized until the last day of minicamp.

Fisher said it was great to get the deal reached before training camp starts.

"We're just really excited to be able to stay on course and get things worked out," he said. "It's a great opportunity to stay with our plan as we try to win games and championships. Fortunately, Mr. Adams has confidence in me and our staff to achieve our goals."

Fisher, 44, has led the Titans to the playoffs in three of the last four seasons and is 80-61 since taking over the then-Houston Oilers in November 1994. He led the team to the AFC championship twice in the past four years.

Last season, the Titans finished 11-5 -- winning 10 of their 11 final games -- after a poor start that led Adams to complain after a 31-14 loss to Washington that the Titans were "outcoached."

Adams could not be reached for comment but told The Tennessean that "... I'm very happy Jeff will be around a long, long time with the Titans."

Fisher is the NFL's winningest coach over the past four seasons with a 44-20 record, and is the only coach in franchise history to win 80 games during his career.

Fisher, who began his coaching career working with defensive backs for the Philadelphia Eagles in 1986, was hired by the Oilers as an interim head coach and got the job permanently in January 1995. The team moved to Tennessee in 1997.

Fisher is the second longest tenured coach in the NFL behind Pittsburgh Coach Bill Cowher.

Fisher said coaches believe things take time and he has seen plenty who weren't given the chance to finish what they started.

"We're doing things right."

SoonerTitan
11/9/2006, 12:14 AM
Bud wanted VY for the "wow" factor but I think it was a good fit for us because of our McNair style offense. You know he plays like a rookie because he his but I see small improvements every time he plays. Our oline is pretty bad and Manning couldn't even handle it back there. He would have alot more receptions if our WR's would catch the freaking ball I see time after time VY gets the ball there and they can't catch. I think this could be Fisher's last year here and he is a heck of a coach but it's been so stale in Tennessee as of late maybe we need a change. Anyway back to VY it's hard to get past the Texas thing but I like the Mac style of play and Vince has that about him. He's gonna be a good QB in time and if we can get our team to gel maybe we can hunt for the playoffs again in the next few years.

I would love to get AD but we are goona have too many wins for his pick.

critical_phil
11/9/2006, 12:26 AM
I would love to get AD but we are goona have too many wins for his pick.

titans remaining schedule:

baltimore
at philly
ny giants
indy
at houston
j'ville
at buffalo
new england

how many wins are you counting there?

SoonerTitan
11/9/2006, 12:35 AM
titans remaining schedule:

baltimore
at philly
ny giants
indy
at houston
j'ville
at buffalo
new england

how many wins are you counting there?
Well what I'm saying Oakland and Arizona are the worst teams right now along with us and the Texans. AD is probably gonna go #1 or 2 and we might get 3rd or 4th pick. Who knows we may get lucky and grab him up. But to your question

baltimore L
at philly L
ny giants L
indy L
at houston W
j'ville L
at buffalo W
new england L

We could get lucky somewhere in there and get another win. We lost to Indy by 1 point the last time we played em and we could get lucky with Balt with the return of Mac to Nashville.

critical_phil
11/9/2006, 12:45 AM
i will vomit if AD ends up in oakland.

it'll be interesting to see how it all plays out. the bottom line is this: there are a BUNCH of awful teams in the NFL right now.

SoonerTitan
11/9/2006, 12:46 AM
i will vomit if AD ends up in oakland.

it'll be interesting to see how it all plays out. the bottom line is this: there are a BUNCH of awful teams in the NFL right now. I second all of that!

Rogue
11/10/2006, 11:14 AM
Leinart or Cutler would have been a great move for the Titans. Their O-line is bad this year for some reason and they will be trying to replace McNair and Eddie George for awhile. I think they need to bite the bullet this year and get some help on the line. Their RBs aren't bad at all and the quick fix at QB won't matter without some blocking. Meanwhile, it may as well be VY getting killed back there instead of a real-deal QB that will be able to win games after they fix some of the other problems. If Fisher leaves, I wonder who will be the next guy in Nashville?

SoonerTitan
11/12/2006, 12:39 PM
We need to focus on offense and get some high draft pick linemen for sure. I know it would hurt OU and a pipe dream but Stoops would be good.

Mixer!
11/12/2006, 03:08 PM
Not wishing to offend you, but the Titans job isn't high profile enough compared to OU. I know some will argue that the worst NFL job > the best D1 job, but not me. ;)

SoonerTitan
11/12/2006, 04:40 PM
It's all about money.

Rogue
11/12/2006, 06:00 PM
I don't think Stoops coaching Radio is a good fit at all. He's used to QBs that are smart enough to tie their own shoes and stuff. Otherwise, they don't last long in Norman. :D

Lost by just one point today against Baltimore and didn't let the "backup" QB throw the ball toward the end. VY is really the guy this year for some reason and they don't want to let somebody else throw a TD and create a pesky controversy. VY today went 13/25 for 211 yards and an INT. He ran 8 times for 39 yards and a TD. And, as usual and as it will be for him in the NFL, he lost.

Good to see Air McNair and Mark Clayton hooking up 7 times for 125 and a TD!

colleyvillesooner
11/12/2006, 06:35 PM
He ran 8 times for 39 yards and a TD. And, as usual and as it will be for him in the NFL, he lost.

he put them in the position to win that game though, but got hurt. And he's not the one that let the field goal get blocked. I don't like VY as much as the next guy, but today wasn't all his fault.

Rogue
11/23/2006, 06:17 PM
As of today, Thanksgiving, VY's QB rating is 56.1
He'll prolly be in the pro-bowl, hell the league MVP....

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/424340

SoonerTitan
11/24/2006, 12:05 AM
All I can say is Giants look out I smell a win!!

BeetDigger
11/24/2006, 01:57 PM

I think that the Giants are also smelling a lot of crow as Rivers looks like the better QB at this point. Manning seems to get worse each week. Forget the fact that SD also got Merriman out of the deal, heads up it looks like SD got the better of the deal.

SoonerTitan
11/24/2006, 02:16 PM
I think that the Giants are also smelling a lot of crow as Rivers looks like the better QB at this point. Manning seems to get worse each week. Forget the fact that SD also got Merriman out of the deal, heads up it looks like SD got the better of the deal.
No doubt Rivers is the better QB and Eli is no Peyton that's for sure (and probably never will be). I'm starting to wonder if Manning is going to be a bust and just backup for the rest of his career.

trwxxa
11/24/2006, 02:23 PM
He won't be the first QB that Coughlin has ruined...

trwxxa
11/24/2006, 02:24 PM

Teams on the road after playing Monday night this season.

1-6

It's a lock.

BeetDigger
11/24/2006, 02:26 PM
No doubt Rivers is the better QB and Eli is no Peyton that's for sure (and probably never will be). I'm starting to wonder if Manning is going to be a bust and just backup for the rest of his career.

I think that is jumping a little to far to the extreme. I think he has too much talent to be a bust, unless the reference point is his brother, in which case he will be a bust. He's no Ryan Leaf that's for sure.

Rogue
11/24/2006, 10:02 PM
AHEM! Focus people. This is a VY bashing thread.

SoonerTitan
11/24/2006, 10:22 PM
Hey it's all about the Titans now forget he was a Horn.:D

SoonerTitan
11/24/2006, 10:24 PM
I think that is jumping a little to far to the extreme. I think he has too much talent to be a bust, unless the reference point is his brother, in which case he will be a bust. He's no Ryan Leaf that's for sure.
The bad thing is he will always be compared to his brother and if he doesn't pull it together soon he will be on the sidelines with a ball cap on.

SoonerTitan
11/24/2006, 10:25 PM
Teams on the road after playing Monday night this season.

1-6

It's a lock.
That's what I'm talkin bout!:pop:

BeetDigger
11/24/2006, 11:15 PM

How many passes has he had batted down due to that quirky throwing motion? Only 6'5" guy in the NFL that throws like he's 6'0".

SoonerTitan
11/24/2006, 11:26 PM
I mostly blame our WR's for dropping the ball VY has put the ball on the numbers and they can't catch. His percentage would be higher if not for that.

Yds Comp.% Y/A TD/INT Rat.
Young, Vince 1074 45.9 5.48 6/8 56.4

(Coach Fisher on QB Vince Young having a below 50 completion percentage)

"The day’s coming where he’s going to have that big passing day, there’s no question. We’ve seen a lot of examples of him taking a ball and moving it down the field with his arm. The day’s coming. His numbers are what they are. I think the big thing is as we all know he can do things with his legs. That day’s not far away where he’ll have a big day passing."

Rogue
11/25/2006, 09:20 AM
Great, so he's another Michael Vick. Sick talent and puts some butts in some seats, but not consistent enough to string together a 3-game winning streak.

SoonerTitan
11/25/2006, 01:51 PM
Well in his defense we haven't won 2 in a row since 2003 much less 3 in a row. Give him a solid team and he will improve.

Rogue
11/26/2006, 07:17 PM
Decent 4th quarter tonight against the Giants.
>300 yards combined, no INTs, threw for 2 TDs and ran for 1.

"Even a blind root hog finds an acorn once in awhile."

SoonerTitan
11/26/2006, 07:37 PM
CP/AT YDS TD INT
V. Young 24/35 249 2 0
RUSHING
ATT YDS TD LG
V. Young 10 69 1 19

First 4Th quarter comeback since 2004!! Way to go Titans!! Vince finally showed he CAN play in the NFL he is the real deal.

Like Fish said:

"The day’s coming where he’s going to have that big passing day, there’s no question. We’ve seen a lot of examples of him taking a ball and moving it down the field with his arm. The day’s coming. His numbers are what they are. I think the big thing is as we all know he can do things with his legs. That day’s not far away where he’ll have a big day passing."

Rogue
11/26/2006, 10:22 PM
My favorite line from Pulp Fiction is by Harvey Keitel when they're cleaning up the dead dood. It'd get me baned here but basically it's "let's not start clapping each other's backs just yet."

colleyvillesooner
11/26/2006, 10:24 PM
CP/AT YDS TD INT
V. Young 24/35 249 2 0
RUSHING
ATT YDS TD LG
V. Young 10 69 1 19

First 4Th quarter comeback since 2004!! Way to go Titans!! Vince finally showed he CAN play in the NFL he is the real deal.

Like Fish said:

Yes, he had a good game. But let's not go saying he proved he CAN play in the NFL based of one outstanding quarter.

SoonerTitan
11/26/2006, 10:58 PM
You guys just can't get past the Horn thing I understand that and believe me it's strange rooting for him. Let me tell you I bleed OU but he is a good player and I'm darn glad to have him on my team any day.

SoonerTitan
12/3/2006, 04:31 PM
The Titans are the real deal! We beat the freaking Colts 20-17 on a 60 yard field goal!

hurricane'bone
12/3/2006, 04:36 PM
The Titans are the real deal! We beat the freaking Colts 20-17 on a 60 yard field goal!

Yes, you are the real deal.

You are the real-est deal-est 5-7 team I've ever seen.

SoonerTitan
12/3/2006, 04:38 PM
Yes, you are the real deal.

You are the real-est deal-est 5-7 team I've ever seen.
They proved today they can beat anyone they put thier hearts into.

BeetDigger
12/3/2006, 05:14 PM
yep, last year for Jeff.

Not so fast. I hear today that the Titans are trying to sign him to an extension. They like what he is doing with the youth and I hear he likes the young team. Fisher may not be available should Parcells hang it up this year.

tulsaoilerfan
12/3/2006, 07:29 PM
Not so fast. I hear today that the Titans are trying to sign him to an extension. They like what he is doing with the youth and I hear he likes the young team. Fisher may not be available should Parcells hang it up this year.
I wouldn't count on Bill hanging it up after this year unless they win the Super Bowl; Tony Romo has put a charge into this franchise that they haven't had in a decade, and Bill would be crazy to walk away from this team with the future they could have.:texan:

SoonerTitan
12/3/2006, 10:31 PM
Yep Fishers contract will be extended they say on Titans Radio.