PDA

View Full Version : Stinkin' Pound

Frozen Sooner
10/1/2006, 02:04 AM
So, here's the story:

SuperGirl and I are hanging out today with the 'rents. SG and I had already made plans for the afternoon that she was going to get a tattoo of the constellation Orion on her wrist. It's her first and only ink, so she wanted me to come with to keep her from chickening out.

We head over to the tattoo studio and start describing what she wants to do. The artist gently explains to her that to do what she wants the tattoo is going to have to be MUCH larger than she wants. After about a half hour of discussion, she determines she's going to have to figure something else out and will come back another day.

At loose ends, she suggests we go to the animal shelter. She's been thinking about adopting another cat, so we head on in there.

Long story short:

She still only has one cat.

I now have two. Steve the wondercat, who I've had for six years, and now Simon the not-so-wonder kitten. Though his name might be Ted. Haven't decided yet.

Pics to follow once the new one comes home from the vet.

I just can't go in that place without adopting something.

Why the hell do people suck so much?

The animals all had signs on their cages. The sign gave sex, name (if any), shot history, and where the animal was found.

At LEAST 50% of these animals had "Owner dropoff" as where they were found. A good 90% of them had something like "New apartment won't allow" or "moving."

People, a pet is a commitment for the pet's lifetime.

I hate people so much for crap like this.

PhilTLL
10/1/2006, 02:07 AM
Gah. I took a kitten in a couple months ago after the jerkoffs in the rent next to me decided they didn't need to pack the poor guy with the rest of their belongings when they moved. Miserable pricks...

Frozen Sooner
10/1/2006, 02:10 AM
Goodonya Phil.

I'm hardly an animal freak. They don't have rights like we do. But I just can't imagine how someone can let an animal be part of their family then just drop them off at the pound to be destroyed simply because they became inconvenient.

SoonerBorn68
10/1/2006, 02:19 AM
A while back some prick dumped 10 pups by our house. My wife took one in & some of the neighbors did the same. I'm not sure what happened to the rest of them.

Meet Lizzie.

http://www.geocities.com/soonerborn91/farks/lizzie.jpg

StoopTroup
10/1/2006, 02:22 AM
You've never owned a dachshund then. ;)

http://www.kateconnick.com/postcards/eatdox0206.jpg

SelmaBamaFan
10/1/2006, 02:23 AM
Good lawd at the snot box on that thing!

SicEmBaylor
10/1/2006, 02:38 AM
I can't imagine ever abandoning "the boy", but if I did then I'm confident he could get by on his looks just fine.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/SicEmBaylor/S4020031.jpg

SoonerBorn68
10/1/2006, 02:40 AM
dang, you fixed the pic. :D

BajaOklahoma
10/1/2006, 08:44 AM
Last February, my sons started feeding a cat at their apt. It took almost two weeks before they could touch it and another week before they could pick her up. The vet gave her the all clear, though he figured she was at 50% of her best weight.
She is the best cat. Loves people, not destructive, seems to realize that she has the best life now.
I don't understand people either. Our cat came from the SPCA last Spring.

Mike, just remember to do the slow introduction of the cats.

Rogue
10/1/2006, 09:04 AM
MR "Froz" is gonna be a crazy cat lady when he gets old.
I'll be the guy with the yard full of dogs.

Frozen Sooner
10/1/2006, 10:13 AM
Last February, my sons started feeding a cat at their apt. It took almost two weeks before they could touch it and another week before they could pick her up. The vet gave her the all clear, though he figured she was at 50% of her best weight.
She is the best cat. Loves people, not destructive, seems to realize that she has the best life now.
I don't understand people either. Our cat came from the SPCA last Spring.

Mike, just remember to do the slow introduction of the cats.

All over it Baja. I've fitted out a spare room with a little kitty box and a food and water dish for the new one and put some portable stuff in there that I can move back and forth.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/1/2006, 10:16 AM
Four years ago, on Easter Sunday, a little dog started barking and jumping on my parents' front door. I took her around the neighborhood and we put out signs and a classified in the paper. yet no one claimed her. After about a month, my mom said that anyone who did claim her was going to have to provide photographic proof she belonged to them and also pay her for the spay.

We named her Gypsy.

crawfish
10/1/2006, 10:32 AM
I picked up two cats from the pound just last month.

They were delicious.

Vaevictis
10/1/2006, 10:40 AM
If you want, I can help you to develop a searing hatred for all things feline, so that the next time you go to the pound, you won't feel at all shamed by leaving the little bastards to their fate.

I can't help you with dogs, though. Because if you don't like dogs, you just don't have a soul.

BajaOklahoma
10/1/2006, 10:53 AM
Mike, I took a towel and rubbed the scent of the cat on it and put it in the room with the dogs. And did it in reverse with dog scent on the towel for the kitten. That may have contributed to the kitten hanging out with the dogs in just over 48 hours. My dogs were terrified of my son's first cat - very vicious cat. So the 9 month old cat has the upper hand.

Frozen Sooner
10/1/2006, 10:58 AM
Hm. The towel thing is recommended.

I may need to think of something else for the introduction. I only have three real "rooms" in the house, and one is already the older cat's room. I've currently got the downstairs bathroom outfitted for the new cat, but I don't know if that's the right thing to do.

Tailwind
10/1/2006, 11:39 AM
I love my cat. She runs the house now. Doesn't do the dishes though.

10/1/2006, 11:44 AM
http://www.astromax.com/con-page/images/orion851.jpg

That's a lot of ink.

Sooner_Bob
10/1/2006, 01:53 PM
Our neighbors recently brought a dog home . . . that little sucker barks all of the time. Annoying little snot.

King Crimson
10/1/2006, 04:33 PM
potentially a very bad title/subject name.

Newbomb Turk
10/1/2006, 04:44 PM
good for you people that take animals from the pound.

birddog
10/1/2006, 11:20 PM
i adopted a great pyrenees from a gp rescue shelter. the previous owners spent $2000 for two dogs. they kept them in cages 23 hours a day from the time they were 8 weeks old to 10 months old, never considering they need bigger cages as they grow. they managed to run away and one of them was killed by a car. the dog i adopted was returned to the owner and they said they didn't want him.
so they took him to a gp rescue shelter where he stayed for 2 weeks before we adopted him. there were 37 pyrenees there. god knows how you could buy a dog and then give 'em up.
maybe they don't like the hair (i assume they had hair when the got them in the first place.) maybe they didn't know they were going to get so big.
my dog is now a year and a half and weighs 160 lbs. he's by far the most gentle, friendly dog i've ever seen. no way in hell i'd ever give him up

1stTimeCaller
10/1/2006, 11:26 PM
wait a minute. You got a cat in order to get some er uh.... kitty?

smoove. I hope it worked. ;)

kudos to you for rescuing an animal