PDA

View Full Version : Slick Dawg - Another Fence Story For Ya..

VeeJay
9/30/2006, 08:26 PM
Wilma in Oct. 2005 for the most part destroyed my neighbor's fence that is on our property line (it' s his fence - he has the slats on his side and I have the posts on my side). There are sections of the fence that are just standing there, not anchored at all in the ground, and sections that were nearly blown down from the 100+ MPH winds for 8 hours when Wilma roared through. My neighbor lifted the unanchored fence twice and I lifted it twice - out of my yard, and leaned it up against the rest of the fence, where it's been since the hurricane.

We also lost the screen enclosure to our pool. By law, we have to have our pool enclosed for safety reasons. We had the damaged screen removed and have had this Home Depot "orange construction" mesh fence around the length of our pool for nearly a year - and I'm tired of it. I had a fence co. come and give me an estimate last week on what it would take to get me up to "code." I can afford it. Problem, my neighbor doesn't want to spend the money to get his fence fixed.

Solution: I have my fence guy re-draw the survey so my pool is enclosed. My neighbor's falling down fence is not up to code (posts must be no more than 4' apart) and wouldn't pass inspection. He's being intentionally obtuse, and soliciting me to pony up $1200 to help him repair HIS fence - and that would be just to pass inspection.

Alls I wants is 10-20 acres of bottom land that I can farm without Realtors Driving Lexuses living twenty feet away. In the meantime, I gotta deal with these ***-Clowns. Here's a pic of his fence which was blown to hell nearly a year ago. It's leaning horribly over on my side:

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/279/279949/pages/734728/DSCN0728.JPG

I generally don't consider myself a prick and I don't like Homeowner's Associations. We don't have one, but if we did, this sh*t would have been taken care of long before now.

yermom
9/30/2006, 08:49 PM
isn't it customary to split the cost of fences?

VeeJay
9/30/2006, 08:54 PM
No.

Mongo
9/30/2006, 08:54 PM
I recently put up new fence around the property line and discussed with all three neighbors. Those that payed more, got the smooth side of the fence, those that payed less, got the posts. It usually is an agreement if the fence is on the property line.

Newbomb Turk
9/30/2006, 09:05 PM
I've went half with both my neighbors.

proud gonzo
9/30/2006, 09:32 PM
I recently put up new fence around the property line and discussed with all three neighbors. Those that payed more, got the smooth side of the fence, those that payed less, got the posts. It usually is an agreement if the fence is on the property line.
funny--i would WANT the posts on my side.

Mongo
9/30/2006, 09:37 PM
some wanted the smoove side for asthetics. They had the backyard with the nice landscaping and plants, as opposed to lab and Jack Russel feces.

SoonerBorn68
9/30/2006, 09:44 PM
Looks like a bungy cord & some balin' wair would fix that right up.

Seriously, if the dude's being a prick about it, insist he get "his fence" off your side of the property.

Newbomb Turk
9/30/2006, 09:58 PM
funny--i would WANT the posts on my side.

why?

OUinFLA
9/30/2006, 10:07 PM
it could be worse

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/229/1129/400/2x4.jpg

I suggest you get Slickdawg to come negotiate for you.

as long as you are willing to give up a foot or two. :D

OUinFLA
9/30/2006, 10:07 PM
why?

It makes it easier to climb up and look in on your neighbors.

sanantoniosooner
9/30/2006, 10:29 PM
she's got over 12,000 posts and you gotta ask WHY she likes them?

GottaHavePride
9/30/2006, 10:49 PM
It makes it easier to climb up and look in on your neighbors.

No, it makes it harder for the neighbor's ****ty kids to jump the fence and screw up your yard. I mean really, there's a reason they built castle walls without easy-access ladders on the outside for the invaders to use.

StoopTroup
9/30/2006, 11:06 PM
I'd go push that fence over into his yard or at least put up a brace to straighten it and tell him your fine with how things are.

sooner n houston
9/30/2006, 11:49 PM
I'd pay the man half and get the fence fixed! It's not like the fence doesn't benefit you.

SoonerSid
10/1/2006, 12:05 AM
does your neighbor have a pool, like you? If not then, the privacy thing would be in your ball court. I dont know your neighbor, but if this is the case then I'm sure he is gambling on the part that you need it more than he does. A good neighbor would go ahead and just pay half along with you, and you both split the cost to have everything brought up to code.

GottaHavePride
10/1/2006, 12:24 AM
This could easily be solved by having some pirates pillage his yard.

StoopTroup
10/1/2006, 01:22 AM
They could sail right up at night...

VeeJay
10/1/2006, 06:40 AM
does your neighbor have a pool, like you? If not then, the privacy thing would be in your ball court. I dont know your neighbor, but if this is the case then I'm sure he is gambling on the part that you need it more than he does. A good neighbor would go ahead and just pay half along with you, and you both split the cost to have everything brought up to code.

Yes, he does have a pool. The fence as I mentioned is his, and his fence is also down on the other side of his yard, and he hasn't fixed that side either. He's trying to get the neighbor on the other side to split the cost and they're having no part of it.

My solution is to get a low chain link fence around our patio and he can deal with the fence. Just the fact his fence is falling over on my property and he's made no effort to repair or replace it and it's been a year has gotten me to this point. I have been more than patient.

Mongo
10/1/2006, 06:44 AM
Start walking around your pool naked. This will get his butt in gear.

Okla-homey
10/1/2006, 06:54 AM
:

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/279/279949/pages/734728/DSCN0728.JPG

I like your anti-alligator snow fencing;)

OUinFLA
10/1/2006, 07:20 AM
send out letters to all your neighbors.
sign it with A**hat lady neighbor's name.

VeeJay
10/1/2006, 08:38 AM
Along with this project, I am putting up a PVC privacy fence on the other side of my property. I OK'ed it with my neighbor, and I am not asking him to help me with the cost of it. The fence is mine and I will maintain it.

The damaged fence in the pic has been like that for nearly a year. My neighbor should have gotten hurricane insurance money for it to repair or replace it - we didn't file a claim on it because we do not consider it our fence. If I had an interest in the fence I wouldn't have the "ugly" side of it.

I think my solution should take care of it. When the city comes to do the final inspection on my fence, they will notice the condition of his and force him to fix it since his pool area is not up to code.

IOW, it will not be my problem.

VeeJay
10/1/2006, 09:19 AM
There are no woods to stop by, nor a snowy evening.

Or was that Browning?

I forget