PDA

View Full Version : A Pirate can beat a soldier!

OUmillenium
9/30/2006, 05:57 PM
Leach said in the postgame onfield interview! Hilarious!

soonercody
9/30/2006, 06:02 PM
Since when is a mounted girl from Lubbock who crashes into a wall a "pirate"?

horninokc
9/30/2006, 10:40 PM
Leach said in the postgame onfield interview! Hilarious!

I love Leach. He has asked why A&M gets to pretend they are soldiers. They aren't military. He said he could start Mikes Pirate School and they could have pirate manuevers for homework. Freshman would get bandanas, seniors would get their swords and pirate boots. The guy is great.

jbstrick
9/30/2006, 10:41 PM
I had to rewind that several times. Quite funny.

Al Gore
9/30/2006, 10:55 PM
Is there a video link???

Snrfn4ever08
9/30/2006, 10:57 PM
Yea, he's funny. Does he constantly looked stoned to anyone else?

Boffingham
10/1/2006, 07:44 AM
Having been in ROTC, not in the corps, this is where you get all of your training to be a soldier, and more imortantly an officer. It would be like going to Paris Island and asking all of the Marines why they get to play soldier. He is a humorous guy, but I think he should have a little more class, or go coach at Cal.

LiteCOL
10/1/2006, 07:49 AM
Having been in ROTC, not in the corps, this is where you get all of your training to be a soldier, and more imortantly an officer. It would be like going to Paris Island and asking all of the Marines why they get to play soldier. He is a humorous guy, but I think he should have a little more class, or go coach at Cal.

Which is why you should take offense to AtM and their corps of cadets being referred to as a "military" organization/school. The majority of people don't understand that many (most) of the "corps" are not destined for service to their country, but are more like a spirit squad. :rolleyes:

Flying Scotsman
10/1/2006, 08:14 AM
Does anyone have any idea of what percentage of the Aggie "Corps" go on to some type of military service? I think about half of them look physically unfit....

Rogue
10/1/2006, 08:14 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=2608884

AlbqSooner
10/1/2006, 08:45 AM
Great read Rogue. Dangly balls - heh!

Boffingham
10/1/2006, 10:00 AM
Which is why you should take offense to AtM and their corps of cadets being referred to as a "military" organization/school. The majority of people don't understand that many (most) of the "corps" are not destined for service to their country, but are more like a spirit squad. :rolleyes:

Texas A/M was once a military school. As was Virginia Tech, and many other schools. The military aspect of each of those schools is the heritage of each of them. It is still like any other ROTC, or even the academy. After your second year, you chose to go military or not.

sooneron
10/1/2006, 10:10 AM
From what I have heard from atm people, the corps is NOTHING like ROTC. It's more like a jack hole frat that hazes.

devOUt
10/1/2006, 10:31 AM
How does lining up and grabbing your balls on national television help train you to be a soldier?

Vaevictis
10/1/2006, 10:42 AM
From what I have heard from atm people, the corps is NOTHING like ROTC. It's more like a jack hole frat that hazes.

... and is full of people who look like they enjoy torturing puppies. Regularly.

Vaevictis
10/1/2006, 10:43 AM
How does lining up and grabbing your balls on national television help train you to be a soldier?

Well, it helps to have them if you want to be a soldier yes?

They figure that if they massage the location where they're *supposed* to be, maybe they'll finally descend ;)

jbstrick
10/1/2006, 01:19 PM
Texas A/M was once a military school. As was Virginia Tech, and many other schools. The military aspect of each of those schools is the heritage of each of them. It is still like any other ROTC, or even the academy. After your second year, you chose to go military or not.

You can shoose to go military at any school. You have completely missed the point of this. They are PLAYING like they are soldiers. They are nothing but a glorified cheerleading squad. Lets not make more out of this

It is what it is.

sooner13f
10/1/2006, 02:01 PM
This entire thing is stupid. The guy is funny. Being in the military I thought it was funny. ROTC or West Point neither is military in my books. They can still make up their minds not to be in the service by paying back the cost of thier schooling. Whatever, it was funny. I dont know why people are so soft skin when it comes to the military. Get over it.

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/1/2006, 02:06 PM
http://theworstpageintheuniverse.com/images/irate_kick1.jpg

badger
10/1/2006, 02:27 PM
i am picturing Lazytown's video in slow mo right now :D
linky (http://youtube.com/watch?v=KEFTCyYIQp4)

BIG_IKE
10/1/2006, 02:54 PM

You don't get your training to be a "Soldier" in ROTC...
And MArines are not soldiers, they are Marines...

1/3 of the students in the Corps join the actual military (as stated on the Corps homepage)

People at the Academies DO NOT HAVE A CHOICE after the 2nd year. They either finish and get commissioned or they don't. If they choose not to then they must enter active duty as an enlisted soldier.

CORPS and ROTC students do not have to do this.

Boffingham....if you were/are in the military, please tell me when and where you served. You seem suspect at best.

101sooner
10/1/2006, 03:25 PM
Some people are a bit too sensitive about this subject.

Anyway, ROTC does train individuals to be officers and ROTC certainly gives them basic soldier training. So do the Academies. From personal experience, A&M also produces some fine officers.

http://www.goarmy.com/rotc/training_and_curriculum.jsp

This is a typical curriculum for an ROTC student:

MS I and II cadets (generally, freshmen and sophomores) begin their training in individual soldier skills such as proper wear of the uniform, marching, land navigation, communications, and first aid. At the same time, MSIII (junior) cadets receive training from the MSIV (senior) cadets on more advanced topics such as squad movements and navigation, military orders, and tactics.

My point is, it's still fun to make fun of the A&M Cadet Corps. They make it too easy.

mrowl
10/1/2006, 04:32 PM
Boffingham....if you were/are in the military, please tell me when and where you served. You seem suspect at best.

go get him boff.

:pop:

King Crimson
10/1/2006, 04:43 PM
while i am no expert on the matter, Boffingham's service has seemed pretty legit over the years here at sf.

SoonerProphet
10/1/2006, 04:58 PM
Pretty sure he is a WSO on the F-15E.

Ash
10/1/2006, 05:18 PM
Some people are a bit too sensitive about this subject.

My point is, it's still fun to make fun of the A&M Cadet Corps. They make it too easy.

Thanks for a balanced perspective 101. It's just some fun with a quote by Mike Leach at the expense of the Ags.

sooneron
10/1/2006, 06:37 PM
Thanks for a balanced perspective 101. It's just some fun with a quote by Mike Leach at the expense of the Ags.
Shouldn't everything be at their expense?

101sooner
10/1/2006, 07:09 PM
They........just... do....strange ...things....

http://www.jcdenton40.com/aggy-nutsqueezing.wmv

101sooner
10/1/2006, 07:26 PM
They........just... do....strange ...things....

http://www.jcdenton40.com/aggy-nutsqueezing.wmv

The deal is, some of those guys are really hurting themselves. They are actually standing in a line, almost spooning each other, squeezing their nuts so hard it is seriously painful.

That is not part of any reasonable training.........

nevermind.

There is just NO way to rationalize that.

Cam
10/1/2006, 07:31 PM
It's called tradition DAMNIT! You're not an Aggie so you'll never understand.

LiteCOL
10/1/2006, 07:40 PM
The deal is, some of those guys are really hurting themselves. They are actually standing in a line, almost spooning each other, squeezing their nuts so hard it is seriously painful.

That is not part of any reasonable training.........

I think those are the "pretend" cadets. If they were Army ROTC members, they would have the "Leadership Excellence" patch on their left sleeves rather than whatever in hell is actually on there. Don't know about Navy or Air Force.

And that is actually good training for staff duty... :D

That being said, it's a pretty fun place to wacth a game - especially when Torrance Marshall picks off a pass in the fourth quarter for a TD (Calmus didn't clip)!!!

BIG_IKE
10/1/2006, 09:36 PM
Well my apologies to Boff if he is in fact in the military. I am a Army guy and we simply don't refer to any other branch as "Soldiers". I should have said I know he is not in the Army.

It's pretty universal throughout the military that Soldiers are in the Army, Sailors are in the Navy, Airmen are in Air Force, and Marines are in the Marine Corps. All the branches are very different in the way they operate and do alot of things. I imagine the ROTC programs are as well.

Ash
10/1/2006, 10:53 PM
Shouldn't everything be at their expense?

Good point, and with the way things are in Collie Station these days it is.
:rcmad:

Big Red Ron
10/1/2006, 10:57 PM
Leach is a modern day Switzer. Just imagine if he had a school like OU, Neb., UT, USC, Florida, MIAMI (god I hope not) to recruit to?

picasso
10/1/2006, 11:03 PM
do you guys remember when we played at Louisville in '99? he said something to the effect of hoping to play well at Pappa John's stadium, and maybe we could score a pizza while we're there.:D

LiL10(s)ArEaJoKe
10/2/2006, 09:46 AM

Trust me when I say this. You do not want Leach at a school that has alot of recruiting power, like a Cal. If it were not for the desert,dust, BFE setting of Lubbutt, TX , leach could have a down right scary team. I hope leach stays right where hes at. With the 3 and the few 4 star recruits he gets, hes hard pressed to win a NC. IMO if leach had been the HC here we just might have 8 NC's. He just hires a good DC and lets him run the D and the O....well you know just look at tech's stats.

Who's offense did Josh run??????

Boffingham
10/2/2006, 11:36 AM
You don't get your training to be a "Soldier" in ROTC...
And MArines are not soldiers, they are Marines...

1/3 of the students in the Corps join the actual military (as stated on the Corps homepage)

People at the Academies DO NOT HAVE A CHOICE after the 2nd year. They either finish and get commissioned or they don't. If they choose not to then they must enter active duty as an enlisted soldier.

CORPS and ROTC students do not have to do this.

If you don't graduate after your sign your commitment in ROTC, you must enter into active duty as well. I know at least 3 people I went to ROTC with, yes I am in the military, who had to either pay back the scholorship money or enter as an E-3.

I don't say I agree with the attitudes of the Corps at A/M, but if you look at any other military institution, and yes, TAMU was once a military academy, you will find very similar practices...USAFA, West Point, Citadel, Norwich, Annapolis, TAMU, VaTech. These schools are or were at one point considered a military academy. If they are told to grab their nuts and whoop and holler during football games, then that is what they are gonna do.

By the way, I was the one that started the "...and the Home of the Sooners!" at the end of the national anthem. I get chills everytime I hear it on TV. Anybody have issues with that?

Boffingham
10/2/2006, 11:37 AM
Trust me when I say this. You do not want Leach at a school that has alot of recruiting power, like a Cal. If it were not for the desert,dust, BFE setting of Lubbutt, TX , leach could have a down right scary team. I hope leach stays right where hes at. With the 3 and the few 4 star recruits he gets, hes hard pressed to win a NC. IMO if leach had been the HC here we just might have 8 NC's. He just hires a good DC and lets him run the D and the O....well you know just look at tech's stats.

Who's offense did Josh run??????

Cal Berkley = Liberal Nutjob

OUmillenium
10/2/2006, 11:48 AM
If you don't graduate after your sign your commitment in ROTC, you must enter into active duty as well. I know at least 3 people I went to ROTC with, yes I am in the military, who had to either pay back the scholorship money or enter as an E-3.

I don't say I agree with the attitudes of the Corps at A/M, but if you look at any other military institution, and yes, TAMU was once a military academy, you will find very similar practices...USAFA, West Point, Citadel, Norwich, Annapolis, TAMU, VaTech. These schools are or were at one point considered a military academy. If they are told to grab their nuts and whoop and holler during football games, then that is what they are gonna do.

By the way, I was the one that started the "...and the Home of the Sooners!" at the end of the national anthem. I get chills everytime I hear it on TV. Anybody have issues with that?

That was actually a long-time tradition at Jenks..."and the home of the TROJANS." You sure the Jenks students who have gone on the OU did not start that? If you are from Jenks, disregard this entire post.

Boffingham
10/2/2006, 12:43 PM
That was actually a long-time tradition at Jenks..."and the home of the TROJANS." You sure the Jenks students who have gone on the OU did not start that? If you are from Jenks, disregard this entire post.

No ****, True ****ing Story...
My Sophmore Roomate (1998) and I were at an OU basketball game at LNC and we came up with idea to yell Sooners at the end. We had never heard it in our first year at OU, neither of us were from Jenks. At the end of the Nat'l Anthem, Nate and I yelled "Sooners." I guarentee if you were there, you remember. So, the next game, we walked over to Kelvin's Korner and asked everybody to do the same, and they did. Game after game, it spread throughout the LNC and finally caught on. The next year (1999 football season) it had made it's way through the student section and continued to radiate for years to come.

Luthor
10/2/2006, 01:07 PM

Precisely. How many honest to goodness soldiers would you find engaging in organized line humping on national TV?

TexasLidig8r
10/2/2006, 02:25 PM
LEAVE THE NATIONAL ANTHEM ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

At Dallas Stars game, every time the word "stars" comes up in the song, the crowd yells it.

At the Cowbag/Titanless game yesterday, they interwove the Pledge of Allegiance with the National Anthem.

More "singing" stars have screwed up the National Anthem (proving perhaps they indeed were more hype along with adroit mixing, than pure talent).

Leave the song alone! :mad:

goingoneight
10/2/2006, 02:32 PM

At Dallas Stars game, every time the word "stars" comes up in the song, the crowd yells it.

At the Cowbag/Titanless game yesterday, they interwove the Pledge of Allegiance with the National Anthem.

More "singing" stars have screwed up the National Anthem (proving perhaps they indeed were more hype along with adroit mixing, than pure talent).

I agree with you. It's "home of the brave..." regardless of the fact that it is also home of the "Sooners, Stars, what-have-you..." Most military guys find that kind of stuff funny, but I have no idea why. We will only remain land of the free, so long as we are home of the brave.

goingoneight
10/2/2006, 02:38 PM

I agree with you. It's "home of the brave..." regardless of the fact that it is also home of the "Sooners, Stars, what-have-you..." Most military guys find that kind of stuff funny, but I have no idea why. We will only remain land of the free, so long as we are home of the brave.

EOJRR1
10/2/2006, 02:48 PM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/eojrr1/sign.jpg

RedstickSooner
10/2/2006, 03:43 PM
Boffingham, a lot of people have a problem with the national anthem being changed. To put our team ahead of our country is cheesy at best, and seditious at worst. Also, an editing note - I'm not directing this at you personally, Boffingham, except for those spots where I talk to you by name. So please don't get *too* offended. Most of this is just aimed at the practice in general.

If the anthem means so little to you, why sing it at all? You could, say, sing Boomer Sooner. Frankly, that'd be a bit of an improvement - Boomer Sooner is a great song, and the way the anthem is usually sung, it kind of stinks. Everyone, from the yutzes in the stands, to the twit with the microphone, figures that the song could use some improvement -- and that it's up to them to do the improving.

I'd rather we skip it than treat it like it's our plaything. It's an homage to fire, blood, and the spirit of our nation. Do you also like to defame the flag?

"Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled, That the composition known as The Star-Spangled Banner is designated as the National Anthem of the United States of America."

Did I miss where they added, "Oh, and feel free to let whatever nimrod feels like it modify the Anthem to suit themselves."

On top of all of this, modifying the Anthem has been going on for decades -- starting most noticeably with the arsehole fans of the Atlanta Braves. You weren't creative, Boffingham, even if you thought you were. They were doing this crud in the 1980s (if not sooner). It was lame then, and now that every single fanbase has copied it, it's even more lame.

America has one song. Just one. Is singing it right so much of her to ask?

Boffingham
10/2/2006, 07:06 PM
I only brought it up to feed the fire. I posted the same thing 2 years ago and it started about 20 pages of controversy. I felt that all of the talk about the Aggies was heading down the same path, so I just decided to dump that on all the people that think they know everything about everything.

I love my country. I fight for my country. I respect the National Anthem and I salute it every day at 1630.

But you know what? Right now, at this very time, America is not the home of the brave. Iraq is the home of the Brave. Afghanistan is the home of the Brave. Anywhere a soldier, and airmen, a sailor, or a marine is fighting for America...that is the home of the Brave. America is the home of liberal candyasses that think they know everything about everything. Maybe they should try running the country, or a state, or even a city.

So, with that being said, on Saturday afternoons, for 3 hours, I may feel more proud to be a Sooner than to be associated with most Americans.

More gasoline for you...

Boffingham
10/2/2006, 07:07 PM
Precisely. How many honest to goodness soldiers would you find engaging in organized line humping on national TV?

Go see "Jarhead"

T_Boner
10/2/2006, 09:07 PM
Fran is a slime ball and the solider/cadet/cheerleader thing is ridiculous…no reasonable person can debate that. Also, anyone got a clip of their stupid happy jazz hand little cheer?

OUmillenium
10/3/2006, 09:24 AM
No ****, True ****ing Story...
My Sophmore Roomate (1998) and I were at an OU basketball game at LNC and we came up with idea to yell Sooners at the end. We had never heard it in our first year at OU, neither of us were from Jenks. At the end of the Nat'l Anthem, Nate and I yelled "Sooners." I guarentee if you were there, you remember. So, the next game, we walked over to Kelvin's Korner and asked everybody to do the same, and they did. Game after game, it spread throughout the LNC and finally caught on. The next year (1999 football season) it had made it's way through the student section and continued to radiate for years to come.

Props...

mrowl
10/3/2006, 09:43 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v19/DizzG/squeeze.gif

RedstickSooner
10/3/2006, 11:11 AM
I only brought it up to feed the fire. I posted the same thing 2 years ago and it started about 20 pages of controversy. I felt that all of the talk about the Aggies was heading down the same path, so I just decided to dump that on all the people that think they know everything about everything.

I love my country. I fight for my country. I respect the National Anthem and I salute it every day at 1630.

But you know what? Right now, at this very time, America is not the home of the brave. Iraq is the home of the Brave. Afghanistan is the home of the Brave. Anywhere a soldier, and airmen, a sailor, or a marine is fighting for America...that is the home of the Brave. America is the home of liberal candyasses that think they know everything about everything. Maybe they should try running the country, or a state, or even a city.

So, with that being said, on Saturday afternoons, for 3 hours, I may feel more proud to be a Sooner than to be associated with most Americans.

More gasoline for you...

Hey, Boffingham - we could complete the retro argument by starting the "sitting vs. standing" debate... Although that one's a bit more one-sided ;)

Perhaps throw in the "Ruf-Neks are ghey" angle?

(Trying to think of what else we've gotten good arguments about that relates to game-related etiquette... meaning, things the fans or other non-official-team-members do during the game in the stadium.)

Not sure what the Anthem has to do with know-it-alls, though. I disagree quite strongly with ya on it, but I sure as heck don't claim to know anything more than you. National Anthem is about beliefs, not knowledge.

Boffingham
10/3/2006, 08:36 PM
I was implying that America is the "home of the know-it-alls." The media, celebrities, protesters, etc. that stand in front of a camera and tell us how we should act or how we should run the country. Sty standing in front of 1 million terrorists who want you dead. That camera man doesn't want you dead. It is easy to stand up for your beliefs when you have nothing to lose.