PDA

View Full Version : I have had it with COX cable

CRASH 02
9/29/2006, 08:38 PM
I have missed the Super Bowl and World Series in HD for the last couple years because they don't carry FOX HD. Now I get this email tonight that says as of October 1st they won't carry KOCO channel 5 in HD any longer either. This is total BS. Here is the email.

September 29, 2006

Dear Valued Cox Customer,

As you know, Cox strives to provide you with a wide variety of programming choices, including
a growing number of high definition channels. Unfortunately, due to a decision by Hearst Argyle
Television, the parent company of KOCO (the local ABC affiliate), we may no longer be allowed
to carry the Channel 5 signal on high definition Channel 705. This will not affect continuing
broadcast of the KOCO signal on Channel 8.

The 1992 Cable Act passed by Congress says that local stations must grant permission for a
cable company to carry their local signals, including the regular over-the-air analog signal and
the high definition one. This is normally not a problem, but Hearst Argyle recently insisted that
Cox should begin paying millions of dollars to carry the HD signals for their various local affiliates
in several cities, including KOCO in Oklahoma City. Keep in mind that this is the same signal
carried for free over the airwaves and is free to Cox high definition customers.

The result of this situation would simply be unacceptable - higher costs to us and our subscribers.
We have negotiated with Hearst Argyle for some months concerning this issue, but unless they
extend their permission for us to carry the KOCO HD signal, that permission will expire at
midnight on October 1 and Channel 705 will no longer be part of the Cox HD lineup.

We will continue negotiations with Hearst Argyle, to resolve this matter in the best interests of our
subscribers. Thank you for choosing Cox; we’ll keep you updated on this issue, and on our plans
to add new HD channels very soon.

tbl
9/29/2006, 08:52 PM
It sounds to me like your beef should be with KOCO, not Cox... That or you could get an antenna for the HD programs.

1stTimeCaller
9/29/2006, 08:53 PM
HD isn't that big of a deal. I'd suggest being ****ed off at something worthwhile.

;)

CRASH 02
9/29/2006, 08:55 PM
All cox has to do is pay up. Tulsa has Fox HD but OKC doesn't because of reasons I don't know. You can't tell me that a few million dollars hurts Cox. All they would have to do is charge a couple dollars a month or less. Also my TV doesn't have a built in HD converter.

CRASH 02
9/29/2006, 08:56 PM
HD isn't that big of a deal. I'd suggest being ****ed off at something worthwhile.

;)

HD is a big deal when you spend over $3000 on an HD tv and $130 a month to COX to get an analog signal. Not even a digital signal. :D

1stTimeCaller
9/29/2006, 09:00 PM
how much did you spend on the KY or AstraGlide? ;)

CRASH 02
9/29/2006, 09:06 PM
I don't know your wife always buys it. :)

1stTimeCaller
9/29/2006, 09:13 PM
my hand or c_p's wife? those are the only two wimmin in my life right now.

I do hop that you either burn something down or they fix your HD problem.

CRASH 02
9/29/2006, 09:24 PM
That's to bad man.

I hope they fix it too.

Frozen Sooner
9/29/2006, 11:20 PM
I'd feel more sympathy for Cox or any other cable company if they didn't charge people for an "HD package" with a bunch of worthless-*** channels just so people can get the movie channels (which they already pay for) in HD and the local stuff in HD.

Stoop Dawg
9/30/2006, 12:17 AM
Keep in mind that this is the same signal
carried for free over the airwaves and is free to Cox high definition customers.

So the signal carried for free over the airwaves, but Cox requires us to pay for "HD Service" on our monthly bill?

All cox has to do is pay up.

Well, you have to admit, getting something for free then turning around and selling it to others is a much better deal - for Cox, that is.

Stoop Dawg
9/30/2006, 12:18 AM
I'd feel more sympathy for Cox

Don't ever do this. Ever.

Sooner_Bob
9/30/2006, 12:22 AM
I've gotta join the HD crowd at some point . . .

tbl
9/30/2006, 12:55 PM
HD is a big deal when you spend over $3000 on an HD tv and $130 a month to COX to get an analog signal. Not even a digital signal. :D
Why did you spend $3,000 on a TV that didn't have an internal HD tuner?

Frozen Sooner
9/30/2006, 12:57 PM
That's a good question, really. My last TV didn't have an internal tuner, though. A lot of the older ones didn't.

CRASH 02
9/30/2006, 07:06 PM
Why did you spend $3,000 on a TV that didn't have an internal HD tuner?

Because I bought it almost 5 years ago. The one with the tuner cost $1500 more. :(

StoopTroup
9/30/2006, 11:10 PM
I have DTV...

I heard Cox is going to have the LOGO Channel in HD.

Norm In Norman
9/30/2006, 11:34 PM
I was sorta thinking about switching back from dish to cox for a little while so I could get a dvr. I won't unless they have koco HD and until they have KOKH HD.

SteelPanz
10/1/2006, 12:05 AM
Now is this problem in the Tulsa area? COX-ucker in OKC will pretty much have us down to just a few channels.

mrowl
10/1/2006, 09:01 AM
you can pick up an OTA HD tuner for under $100. Just plug in you antenna.

the Pic quality is 10000 times better than dish, DTV, cox, cable, etc...

Mjcpr
10/1/2006, 09:51 AM
Now is this problem in the Tulsa area? COX-ucker in OKC will pretty much have us down to just a few channels.

Nope, we get all the locals and have for quite a while now. And I don't think Cox charges you for their HD service do they? We pay for the HD DVR and digital cable but I don't think there's a specific charge for HD though.

Boomer.....
10/1/2006, 11:45 AM
Nope, we get all the locals and have for quite a while now. And I don't think Cox charges you for their HD service do they? We pay for the HD DVR and digital cable but I don't think there's a specific charge for HD though.
Nope, no extra charges.

Better and more HD channels, just another reason that Tulsa>OKC :cool:

OUstud
10/1/2006, 01:02 PM
Yeah, I just saw No Data Available on 705 and that made me mad. But we added 740 FSN HD, but info said Off Air except for the Stanford-UCLA game, but that too was off air, and it is just rainbow bars. :(

Cam
10/1/2006, 05:22 PM
Wife and I were considering getting Cox phone service as well. Now I'm going to start looking into Dish or DirecTV.

I didn't even get a letter, they just pulled the plug. Wouldn't have known anything about it if I hadn't seen it here.

hurricane'bone
10/1/2006, 05:25 PM
Wait...so you guys don't get FOXHD, and now don't get ABCHD, in OKC?

That's crazy.

Cam
10/1/2006, 06:18 PM
Wait...so you guys don't get FOXHD, and now don't get ABCHD, in OKC?

That's crazy.
Yep. What's the one common denominator for both? Cox Cable bitching and moaning about contracts.

sanantoniosooner
10/1/2006, 06:21 PM
My brother had Cox in Arlington and it sold out to Time Warner. His HD service went to crap so he ditched cable and went to Direct TV. He says that the customer service sucks, but the actual service provided has been excellent.

I have Dish Network, without HD and like it a lot.

Newbomb Turk
10/1/2006, 06:24 PM
I just saw a scroll on KOCO here in OKC. They are saying that they hope COX comes to a "fair agreement" on the matter.

TopDaugIn2000
10/1/2006, 06:25 PM
Yeah, I just saw No Data Available on 705 and that made me mad. But we added 740 FSN HD, but info said Off Air except for the Stanford-UCLA game, but that too was off air, and it is just rainbow bars. :(

I noticed that too. AND WHY DON'T WE GET ESPN2 IN HD AS WELL?!?!?!?!?!?!

critical_phil
10/1/2006, 06:33 PM
my hand or c_p's wife? those are the only two wimmin in my life right now.

:mad:BOOOOOOOOOOOOO:mad:

mrs. critical is this close to kicking me out of the house anyway. what 1TC doesn't know is that i'm planning on staying in his fancy new trailer.

Cam
10/1/2006, 06:50 PM
I just saw a scroll on KOCO here in OKC. They are saying that they hope COX comes to a "fair agreement" on the matter.
They ran that quite a bit yesterday here in OKC. All the sudden, they flipped a switch and it's gone.

I'm guessing that one of them is bluffing and the other's calling the bluff. Not sure who's bluffing who tho.

Norm In Norman
10/2/2006, 08:37 AM
Really, i think the problem has more to do witht he gub'mint than anything else. Cable companies have to carry the locals, all the stations are spending money on the HD equipment, so now they want to charge to pay for their crap. I say the cable and sat companies should be forced to broadcast the locals (both analog and digital) for free and the local stations should be forced to not charge them for it. Then they all could get rid of that $6 fee they all charge. Why the hell would a local channel not WANT you to watch their channel? This whole thing is just driving people away from cox AND koco.

SoonerE39
10/14/2006, 03:57 PM
Yes cox makes plenty of money, but what makes ABC so special that they damand payment for HD signal while CBS and NBC don't? And if cox pays ABC,, no doubt NBC and CBS will be next in damanding payment. the cost will be passed along to we, the cox subscribers. What about sending a form letter to ABC Advertizers with a cc the Hurst-Argyle (KOCO itself isn't the problem). Just a note telling that advertizer you will refuse to purchase their products (like flying on Southwest Airlines) while they are advertising with Hurst Argyle until Hurst Argyle decides to drop their demand for payment. If enough of these letters went to their advertisers, I would think Hurst-Argyle would become uneasy if a couple advertisers start talking about dropping their ads?

Mayeb I'm thinking too big or too much effort. Maybe I just need to fork over $100 for an HD antenna and booster and put a big stick on my roof (against Zoning in my 'hood).

Cam
10/14/2006, 05:20 PM
Maybe I just need to fork over $100 for an HD antenna and booster and put a big stick on my roof (against Zoning in my 'hood).
If you're saying it's against your HOA bylaws, you've got nothing to worry about. I believe it's a federal law that HOA's can't ban roof antennas.