It sucks when people out sniper you.

:mad:

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/29/2006, 02:44 PM
Not so much if you're a seller.

sanantoniosooner
9/29/2006, 02:45 PM
Not so much if you're a seller.
obviously, you aren't the seller if you are the sniper.

unless you are trying to drive your own price up with a sockpuppet.

yermom
9/29/2006, 02:47 PM
actually, sniping isn't that great for the seller either...

sanantoniosooner
9/29/2006, 02:49 PM
actually, sniping isn't that great for the seller either...
how so?

It drives the price up. Seems like it would be welcome.

9/29/2006, 02:49 PM
actually, sniping isn't that great for the seller either...Pls. elucidate.

yermom
9/29/2006, 02:55 PM
well, you would have bid more if you had more time, most likely, right?

otherwise, i'm thinking you would just say you were outbid because they bid more than you wanted to pay

sanantoniosooner
9/29/2006, 03:36 PM
no.

snipering implies that you wait to the last minute on purpose to try and get something.

It's why you see items jump by 10% or more at the last minute.

skycat
9/29/2006, 03:38 PM
Why do you wait until the last moment?

Maybe so other people won't consider the new bid and bid even higher?

yermom
9/29/2006, 03:39 PM
right, and it results in lower prices, generally (this is why you do it, no?)

i'm not saying you are screwing the seller, but you certainly aren't helping them

sanantoniosooner
9/29/2006, 03:43 PM
If I don't bid, do they get more, or less?

hmmmmmmmmm?

tbl
9/29/2006, 03:55 PM
Sniping is bad for the seller, as well as those that get sniped out. When ebay first came around, people were bidding tons of times when there were still 4 days left on the auction. Now there are typically 2-4 starter bids, then the onslaught comes right at the end. They do make up some money at that point, but nothing like it used to be.

yermom
9/29/2006, 03:56 PM
maybe you are bidding, but sniping isn't the way i'd want my auction to end, if i had a choice

that's all i'm saying

yermom
9/29/2006, 03:57 PM
Sniping is bad for the seller, as well as those that get sniped out. When ebay first came around, people were bidding tons of times when there were still 4 days left on the auction. Now there are typically 2-4 starter bids, then the onslaught comes right at the end. They do make up some money at that point, but nothing like it used to be.

it doesn't help that there are services that will do it for you too

they should use those image verifier things for your bids to kill those things

maybe i should email eBay...

sanantoniosooner
9/29/2006, 03:58 PM
well......since I've bought a total of 7 items on ebay, I don't think I'm a problem for people.

I've got a 100% rating. People like that about me.

Penguin
9/29/2006, 04:12 PM
When I'm looking for something on ebay, I usually look at what auction is closing first. If it's a good price, I bid.

Does that make me a sniper?

BeetDigger
9/29/2006, 04:42 PM
I was looking for some b-school research on this. I know that I have seen some but at the moment, I can't find it. I know that there has been analysis around bidding on ebay. I seem to remember that items that had no reserve actually recieved better prices.

yermom
9/29/2006, 04:44 PM
well......since I've bought a total of 7 items on ebay, I don't think I'm a problem for people.

I've got a 100% rating. People like that about me.

i was just initially disagreeing with favor

i'm not saying you are doing anything wrong, or unethical (unless you are using a service, i think that is ****ty)

mrowl
9/29/2006, 04:46 PM
why would I bid on an item before the last minute?

That would only drive the price higher with extra bids.

yes, bad for seller, but good for buyer.

mrowl
9/29/2006, 04:49 PM
and ebay has sucked for years. They are no longer a person to person auction place.

Ebay would never do this, but they have to get rid of the stores if the model will work again.

Beano's Fourth Chin
9/29/2006, 04:55 PM
We pay 40 bucks a year for a sniping service. It synchs with the ebay clock and puts in our top bid at the last second.

The great thing about is that you can set it when the auction first starts and forget about it. You get an email at the end saying whether you won or not.

To me, it's like Tivo for eBay. If someone else sniping puts in a higher final bid than me, they win.

If I'm not willing to sell it for a low amount, I'll put in a reserve. If I don't put in a reserve and a sniper gets it for cheap, then shame on me. It's a risk.

It keeps you from getting caught up in that emotional thing where you just keep going a dollar higher a dollar higher at the end. I put in my top bid... what the item is worth to me and move on.

I figure that the service has paid for itself many many times over...

It would only be cheating if the same tools weren't available to everyone. Where it becomes an advantage to the buyer (me) is that you don't give the emotional bidders time to react. The sellers have nothing to complain about if they don't set a reserve at the price they're willing to sell at.

Mjcpr
9/29/2006, 04:57 PM
Anyone ever go on a snipe hunt?

BeetDigger
9/29/2006, 05:37 PM
Anyone ever go on a snipe hunt?

That's what your avatar really is, isn't it?

tbl
9/29/2006, 05:48 PM
I don't disagree with sniping at all. I think the point was just being made that since that strategy has taken over it has hurt the seller a little. Not a big deal though. Bidding right up front is stupid. Like Beano said, make a reserve and you'll be fine.

9/29/2006, 06:12 PM
We pay 40 bucks a year for a sniping service. It synchs with the ebay clock and puts in our top bid at the last second.

The great thing about is that you can set it when the auction first starts and forget about it. You get an email at the end saying whether you won or not.

To me, it's like Tivo for eBay. If someone else sniping puts in a higher final bid than me, they win.

If I'm not willing to sell it for a low amount, I'll put in a reserve. If I don't put in a reserve and a sniper gets it for cheap, then shame on me. It's a risk.

It keeps you from getting caught up in that emotional thing where you just keep going a dollar higher a dollar higher at the end. I put in my top bid... what the item is worth to me and move on.

I figure that the service has paid for itself many many times over...

It would only be cheating if the same tools weren't available to everyone. Where it becomes an advantage to the buyer (me) is that you don't give the emotional bidders time to react. The sellers have nothing to complain about if they don't set a reserve at the price they're willing to sell at.YEPPERS!

sanantoniosooner
9/29/2006, 09:11 PM
and I have sniping success :D

See you pinheads at the Cotton Bowl

sanantoniosooner
9/29/2006, 10:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQSwcDmG5ik

Widescreen
9/29/2006, 11:14 PM
I'm pretty successful at sniping. I just wait until the last 10 seconds and triple the most recent bid. I rarely lose.

9/30/2006, 12:49 AM
I'm pretty successful at sniping. I just wait until the last 10 seconds and triple the most recent bid. I rarely lose.Bet that philosophy can sometimes get you some expensive merch.

soonerboomer93
9/30/2006, 01:34 AM
the only items I bought it let me put in a max bid, and then automatically generated the highest bid necessary up to my max.

sanantoniosooner
9/30/2006, 08:24 AM
the only items I bought it let me put in a max bid, and then automatically generated the highest bid necessary up to my max.
well, yeah, but if you put in your max bid late people don't have time to change their max bid.