PDA

View Full Version : Bob Stoops, good guy!

The Maestro
9/29/2006, 10:56 AM
From an article on soonersports.com...This link shows the video of it.

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=300&ATCLID=289732

Bob Stoops does a lot of nice things that you don’t know about.

The Oklahoma head coach doesn’t want the genuineness of his or his program’s gestures to be fogged by the lights of publicity. He wants to show kindness simply because he wants to show kindness.

Stoops balks at wearing a microphone for television networks during practice because he thinks it sounds “fake.” If anything can be remotely construed as contrived, he runs the other direction.

The other reason most of these acts have to stay under the radar is that there is no way the coach and team can possibly respond to all of the requests for time. It is better to do things quietly than to risk hurting someone’s feelings.

So Bob, I know you don’t want the attention and I appreciate your reasons, but allow me just this one, please.

Last Saturday night after the Oklahoma-Middle Tennessee game, five children, part of the Special Spectators program, came into the locker room to share in the victory celebration.

All five are battling cancer.

For one of the kids, Turner Swink, it was a special day times two. It also was his 10th birthday.

Near the end of the team huddle, Coach Stoops hoisted the frail youngster, outfitted in a Sooner jersey, above the group and announced that it was his birthday. Spontaneously, the team broke into song ... “Happy Birthday.”

It was a powerful moment. The same college players this child has idolized and cheered were now doing the same for him.

Dry eyes were hard to find.

You can argue all day about the enormity of sport. Many of us who work in the profession often marvel at the magnitude of it all.

But the one thing you cannot argue is the wonderful platform it provides its participants. The truly great coaches and players grasp the responsibility that comes with the big stage.

Thank goodness the Oklahoma program is filled with people of that quality, and rest assured it is even though you rarely hear about it.

william_brasky
9/29/2006, 10:58 AM
Awesomeness.

XingTheRubicon
9/29/2006, 11:06 AM
That's good stuff.

sooner n houston
9/29/2006, 11:11 AM
Allright! We hear way to little of the good associated with the program.

GrapevineSooner
9/29/2006, 11:26 AM
Excellent.

I'm welling up right now.

cwood60
9/29/2006, 11:31 AM
Wow! That was....moving. They sang to him and everything. What 1st rate, classy players OU has. These kids are sick, and rather than showering up and leaving, the players stick around and have fun with them.

ADs_Agent
9/29/2006, 11:53 AM
that's big league. Respect for Stoops and the players.

oumartin
9/29/2006, 11:54 AM
had this been charlie weis it would have made the national news

The Spanks
9/29/2006, 11:56 AM
Pay no attention to me. I like to fellate men. I'm a whorn. Kisses.

Egeo
9/29/2006, 12:01 PM
theres a video of it on the ozone - it sure made my night when i watched a few days ago

msteudem
9/29/2006, 12:05 PM
They had a clip of this on the Sooner Football with Bob Stoops last Sunday night. You would have thought they were his own kids.

Stoop Dawg
9/29/2006, 12:05 PM
We'll see how good a guy he is after the Texas game.

Baned after one post???

The Maestro
9/29/2006, 12:06 PM

Welcome, The Spanks! Watch out for this guy, fellers...this guy is going to become a resident smart *** on soonerfans. But he did invent the Eiffel Tower, so what can you do?

crimson&cream
9/29/2006, 01:28 PM
Hilarious, wasn't it just a couple of yrs ago Longwhoern fans wanted Mack the Hack FIRED, and even painted themselves up in the stands stating "WE SUCK". Now ole Mack is God and it's time to smear other coahces. How quickly we forget. Hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

n8v_ndn
9/29/2006, 01:34 PM
...and even painted themselves up in the stands stating "WE SUCK"...

I thought they were Photoshop casualties :confused:

Oh well, the official legend is they did it to themselves!!

birddog
9/29/2006, 01:36 PM
what does bob stoops big heart have to do with the outcome of the texass game?

C&CDean
9/29/2006, 02:10 PM
Sometimes a fella has to do what a fella has to do....

soonerhubs
9/29/2006, 02:21 PM
ROTFLMAO! Poor Spanks never saw that coming I'm sure. :D

Awesome post Maestro. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about the good these programs do for others.

A-M
9/29/2006, 02:23 PM
Its good to know that Stoops is not just teaching how to play the game of football, but adding a great leason on how to play the game of life.

OUGreg723
9/29/2006, 02:37 PM
I Love Stoops.

The Spanks
9/29/2006, 05:10 PM
What's up, Maestro? Wow, I haven't seen a collection of dildoes this big since I hung out at the Playboy mansion.

C&CDean
9/29/2006, 05:21 PM
What's up, Maestro? Wow, I haven't seen a collection of dildoes this big since I hung out at the Playboy mansion.

That's really witty and funny whorn.

Stoop Dawg
9/29/2006, 05:47 PM
What's up, Maestro? Wow, I haven't seen a collection of dildoes this big since I went diggin' through mama's "secret drawer"....

Fixed.

SoonerHawk
9/29/2006, 06:44 PM
That is awesome. It would be great if the national media talking heads paid attention to stuff like this.