PDA

View Full Version : Best Non-Conference Wins Of The Year So Far In The Big 12

FaninAma
9/29/2006, 09:46 AM
IF you were to rank the Big-12 teams based on their BEST win to date (i.e., what they've strickly done to date), it would look like:

(Team rankings per CollegeBCS.Com)

#1 - Oklahoma - #28 Washington.
#2 - Texas - #52 Iowa State
#3 - Missouri - #64 @New Mexico
#4 - Iowa State - #69 Toledo.
#5 - Kansas - #71 S. Florida.
#6 - Nebraska - #82 Louisiana Tech.
#7 - Texas A&M - #82 Louisiana Tech.
#7 - Kansas State - #88 Marshall
#9 - Texas Tech - #89 @UTEP.
#10 - Okla State - #100 @Arkansas State.
#11 - Baylor - Div-1AA Northwestern State.
#12 - Colorado - No wins

Throw in Oregon for OU and we have the 2 best non-conference wins.

That's why I find it puzzling when I hear how OU has underachieved this year and in no way belongs in the top 10. Based on what? Certainly not based on the results on the field so far.

yermom
9/29/2006, 09:50 AM
Iowa State is in the conference

that leaves Rice and UNT ;)

soonervegas
9/29/2006, 10:03 AM
It's not as important as who you lost to at home, by 17, in a night game, on national tv.

TopDawg
9/29/2006, 10:03 AM
#10 - Okla State - #100 @Arkansas State.

thanks for the laugh

yermom
9/29/2006, 10:05 AM
the sad thing is that Colorado should be #1

OUmillenium
9/29/2006, 10:05 AM
It's not as important as who you lost to at home, by 17, in a night game, on national tv.

word

TopDawg
9/29/2006, 10:06 AM
That doesn't make me sad.

yermom
9/29/2006, 10:10 AM
Gary Barnett is probably not all that sad somewhere as well

Jimminy Crimson
9/29/2006, 01:41 PM
I'd say OU over Oregon is probably the best OOC win in the Big XII :cool:

Stoop Dawg
9/29/2006, 02:24 PM
thanks for the laugh

We're really 4-0!! We got jobbed, just like big brother!!!

soonermaticsam
9/29/2006, 08:31 PM
so if we run the table, Texass and possibly Missouri? may be the only other notable wins... where do you think we would be ranked if this happens,

soonerlynx
9/29/2006, 09:00 PM
After TCU's loss last night, the longest winning streak in college football is 11 games, which would also match our current winning streak, less two of the most monumental screw jobs in football history.

monty
9/29/2006, 09:35 PM
ISU = Big XII

King Crimson
9/29/2006, 09:39 PM
I'm not even going to go there.

Barnett is living up near Red Feather Lakes along the front range north of Boulder.....with a 6 million $ buyout. it could be worse for a guy.

snp
9/29/2006, 10:08 PM
That's why I find it puzzling when I hear how OU has underachieved this year and in no way belongs in the top 10. Based on what? Certainly not based on the results on the field so far.

We barely beat UAB. That's underachieving.

We don't belong in the top-10, yet.

KingDavid
9/30/2006, 12:58 AM

The two victories against the Pac 10 say otherwise.

FaninAma
9/30/2006, 11:09 AM

Yes, that very first game should define how good we will be the rest of the year. Dominating Oregon for 2/3 of the game and beating a Washington team that is turning out to be better than expected should be totally discounted.:rolleyes:

And to the poster(s) who want to discount the Oregon game as a loss go ahead but the results on the field support counting the game as a win for the Sooners.

snp
9/30/2006, 11:02 PM
Yes, that very first game should define how good we will be the rest of the year. Dominating Oregon for 2/3 of the game and beating a Washington team that is turning out to be better than expected should be totally discounted.:rolleyes:

Uh, yea, our wins are vs crappy teams. Okay, look at these top-10 teams and tell me who we should displace based on their good wins vs ours:

Ohio State - Texas, Penn State, Iowa
Auburn - LSU, South Carolina
USC - Arkansas, Nebraska
West Virginia - No one
Florida - Alabama, Tennesse
Michigan - Notre Dame, Wisconsin
Texas - Iowa State
Louisville - Miami
Georgia - South Carolina, killed UAB
LSU - No one

All those wins are more impressive than UAB or Washington, imo. I can see arguements made for Texas or maybe LSU since they both have a loss as well, but they also lost to higher ranked teams. And have beaten the crap outta their opponents.

Edit: Newsflash, we lost to Oregon. Stop counting it as a win because it's kinda gay to do so.

FaninAma
10/1/2006, 06:16 PM
Uh, yea, our wins are vs crappy teams. Okay, look at these top-10 teams and tell me who we should displace based on their good wins vs ours:

Ohio State - Texas, Penn State, Iowa
Auburn - LSU, South Carolina
USC - Arkansas, Nebraska
West Virginia - No one
Florida - Alabama, Tennesse
Michigan - Notre Dame, Wisconsin
Texas - Iowa State
Louisville - Miami
Georgia - South Carolina, killed UAB
LSU - No one

All those wins are more impressive than UAB or Washington, imo. I can see arguements made for Texas or maybe LSU since they both have a loss as well, but they also lost to higher ranked teams. And have beaten the crap outta their opponents.

Edit: Newsflash, we lost to Oregon. Stop counting it as a win because it's kinda gay to do so.

By your own damn list we have better non conference wins than 6 of the current top 10 teams: USC, West Vrginia, Texas, Louisville, Georgia and LSU.

You go ahead and count the Oregon win as a loss but if OU wins out there will be more people(including the media) who will not count it as a loss. Should OU lose another game then it won't matter and the whole rip-off in Eugene will be remembered in the same vein as the TT game. But it becomes a bigger and bigger issue the longer OU goes without another loss. Oregon isn't getting full credit for the "win", either. If they were they would be ahead of LSU, Georgia and Texas.

I'm sure you're quite the expert on all things gay so I'll take your advice to heart.

The VIIIth
10/1/2006, 09:24 PM

Isn't UAB 3-1? MTSU hammered North Texas 35-0. It's still too early to figure out who's good and who's pretending. Washington beating UCLA shows they have some talent.

snp
10/2/2006, 11:18 AM
By your own damn list we have better non conference wins than 6 of the current top 10 teams: USC, West Vrginia, Texas, Louisville, Georgia and LSU.

What are you talking? Nebraska is ranked ahead of Washington, Miami and South Carolina are right outside of Washington. I'd take either of those two teams heads up.

And now I'll agree that Georgia is pretty crappy. LSU and Texas lost to top-3 teams and that gets them a break. We lost to a top-15 team, they win.

You go ahead and count the Oregon win as a loss but if OU wins out there will be more people(including the media) who will not count it as a loss.

No, no they won't.

I'm sure you're quite the expert on all things gay so I'll take your advice to heart.

:rolleyes:

Isn't UAB 3-1? MTSU hammered North Texas 35-0. It's still too early to figure out who's good and who's pretending. Washington beating UCLA shows they have some talent.

No, UAB is 2-3 with a blowout loss to a top-10 team, Georgia. And so what if MTSU beat UNT? That's a freaking Sun Belt conference.

But I do agree that it is still early. A lot of teams that I think are better than Washington could flop, but we'll see.

FaninAma
10/2/2006, 12:11 PM
What are you talking? Nebraska is ranked ahead of Washington, Miami and South Carolina are right outside of Washington. I'd take either of those two teams heads up.
That's because you're discounting the Oregon game. I'm not.

And now I'll agree that Georgia is pretty crappy. LSU and Texas lost to top-3 teams and that gets them a break. We lost to a top-15 team, they win.
It is beyond myopic to discount the Sooner's effort against Oregon and brush it off simply as a "loss." You have no idea what type of team Oregon is. If they beat Cal( yes that's a big "if") I think you'll be giving OU more credit for the game they played in Eugene.

No, no they won't.
Yes they will . The media loves a controversy and if a one loss OU team is left out of the BCS, espcially if we roll through Texas and the rest of our schedule, the Oregon game will be revisitied. If we lose this weekend then it becomes just another TT type game.

:rolleyes:
:O You brought up the whole gay thing.

No, UAB is 2-3 with a blowout loss to a top-10 team, Georgia. And so what if MTSU beat UNT? That's a freaking Sun Belt conference.
Who cares about UAB. That was our first game. PT threw 2 interceptions in the redzone. There were still personnel issues on defense which I think have been worked out. USC struggled against a very average Wazzoo team, do they need to fall 5 spots like OU did after UAB?

But I do agree that it is still early. A lot of teams that I think are better than Washington could flop, but we'll see.
Yes, we will see. The bottom line is if Oregon and OU keep winning the media will revisit that game more and more. If they lose then it will be forgotten.

yermom
10/2/2006, 12:16 PM
That's because you're discounting the Oregon game. I'm not.

It is beyond myopic to discount the Sooner's effort against Oregon and brush it off simply as a "loss." You have no idea what type of team Oregon is. If they beat Cal( yes that's a big "if") I think you'll be giving OU more credit for the game they played in Eugene.

Yes they will . The media loves a controversy and if a one loss OU team is left out of the BCS, espcially if we roll through Texas and the rest of our schedule, the Oregon game will be revisitied. If we lose this weekend then it becomes just another TT type game.

:O You brought up the whole gay thing.

Who cares about UAB. That was our first game. PT threw 2 interceptions in the redzone. There were still personnel issues on defense which I think have been worked out. USC struggled against a very average Wazzoo team, do they need to fall 5 spots like OU did after UAB?

Yes, we will see. The bottom line is if Oregon and OU keep winning the media will revisit that game more and more. If they lose then it will be forgotten.

this is what i'm thinking... but i don't think it will start being an issue until there are are less unbeaten/one loss teams. if more higher ranked teams don't start losing though, i don't think voter sympathy is going to do much for us. the computers still see a regular loss.